The NEW WL FAQ (Part 5) Simbas and Tiggers and Humphreys OH MY! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi WL Vets!

We were at WL from Dec 9 through the 22nd, in room 5165 (south wing, fifth floor, inner courtyard). It had a great view of the MK fireworks. We watched Wishes and Holiday Wishes from the room a number of times during our stay. Of course, you can't see the fireworks that go off right by the castle, but most of the rest can be seen quite clearly...including the neat boxes and bows for Holiday Wishes. :goodvibes

The Lodge was fantastic again, and the CMs were just wonderful. Merl checked us in, and went above and beyond for us! I'll be writing to Disney about her (among others).

For those towel animal fans, we got a new one every day until about the second Wednesday. DW thinks they ran simply out of new designs at that point. :upsidedow

We came back to the Lodge late one night, only to discover someone sleeping in the second bed in our room! He had on DW's spare Crocs, my sunglasses, and had apparently fallen asleep while reading the private dining menu! :eek:

Actually, it was a "towel person," but it gave us quite a start! :rotfl:

We were able to spend two full days at the Lodge this time, and we're so happy we could! It was so relaxing. :cloud9:

I think we must have seen Jasmine at Roaring Fork two dozen times those two days, between meals and mug refills. :rolleyes1

We used the laundry facilities in the middle of the day on Saturday, as well as on Sunday, and had no problems at all. There was no waiting for machines or any need to hurry because of people waiting on us. The cost is a bit high at $2.00 per load, but the rumored "10-minutes for $2" dryer timeout never happened to us. We got the full 30 or so minutes from each machine we used. (Next time, we'll bring our own detergent and softener, though.)

We also watched the Electric Water Pageant from the beach for the first time. Having watched it from boats, rooms, and other resorts, I can definitely say that is my favorite way to watch it!

On a sad note, this will probably be the last time we'll be staying at Wilderness Lodge for a long time. We loved the rooms we had there, and the great views. But since we bought into DVC at Villas of Wilderness Lodge, we'll probably be next door every vacation for the foreseeable future. We did head over there to look around this trip, though, and it looks like we're going to feel right at home next trip ... which we booked while on site this time. :)

We'll be at VWL next November, 9-21 (9-15 with parents). :yay:

Oh, and about the new boat service -- it's great! We'd never had problems in the past, but this time it was much quicker since we didn't have to stop at Fort Wilderness, nor did we have to compete with FW folks for seats on the boat. Much improved! We hope the new routes are made permanent.

If anyone has any questions about our recent stay or the WL in general, let me know and I'll try to answer them!

I was thinking of requesting a woods view on the concierge level. But dont know if this is the thing to do because I dont want bunk beds and I dont even know if the CL has bunk beds? I just know that Sept we stayed at WL on floor 6 and had a Woods View and my DBF was upset at the view until I discovered you can atually see part of the MK from our room as well as the fireworks. He shortly changed his mind about the view.

PS sorriny Should read Staying Concierge questions missed typed.

Hey gang,

I just sat here sipping my coffee and reading this thread (at least 20 pgs...not the entire thread..its big!..lol) My family and I are going to be at the lodge in early June next year before going onto a villa. We were going to drive and stay outside of Orlando and I said..."what the heck are we thinking...let's just keep driving...and go to DISNEY!!..." So this is how our decision came to be. WL happens to be a huge favorite of all of ours.

My family doesn't know it but I booked a the club level room. I must say though I'm having a hard time dealing with those gosh darn solid balconies!! We love to spend time on the balcony drinking coffee or late in the evening sipping wine. We really are going to be lodge lounger's and just hang at the hotel for those 2 days recouping from the car ride. We haven't 'driven' to Disney in many years and this will be a long drive for us...about 17 hrs. (well...possibly 19-20 with 2 teens in tow..lol)

Can anyone shed any light on the concierge rooms? We requested a courtyard view...this would be our favorite. What are the opinions of the club level offerings? We don't intend to make this our only food...(unlike some others I have seen at concierge lounges...how very silly). We will venture out to eat meals. I was thinking boating over to the Contemporary to eat one of our days and to do some shopping.

I'm very excited....can't wait for June.

Forgot to add!!!: did anyone see the show in the last 2 weeks "John and Kate plus 8" they took the 8 children to Disney and stayed at the WL....OH MY GOSH!! I have a whole new respect for traveling with 2 teens driving verses 8 under 6 children driving...these parents are SAINTS!! If you haven't seen it...you must watch for it. It was a great show. The family is awesome.

Esmerelda :)

Greetings! I've read through this thread over the past week and am hoping for some more info on rooms. We have a courtyard view booked and would actually like to have a view of the lake, we don't care about seeing fireworks or anything, just want to stand on the balcony and see a view of the lake. Does anyone have a room # that fits that? Also, we are booked through AAA, do we need them to request the lake view and balcony for us? Thanks so much....we love the WL and can't wait to surprise the DS with his first trip there in just 21 days :woohoo:

My family doesn't know it but I booked a the club level room. I must say though I'm having a hard time dealing with those gosh darn solid balconies!! We love to spend time on the balcony drinking coffee or late in the evening sipping wine. We really are going to be lodge lounger's and just hang at the hotel for those 2 days recouping from the car ride. We haven't 'driven' to Disney in many years and this will be a long drive for us...about 17 hrs. (well...possibly 19-20 with 2 teens in tow..lol)

Forgot to add!!!: did anyone see the show in the last 2 weeks "John and Kate plus 8" they took the 8 children to Disney and stayed at the WL....OH MY GOSH!! I have a whole new respect for traveling with 2 teens driving verses 8 under 6 children driving...these parents are SAINTS!! If you haven't seen it...you must watch for it. It was a great show. The family is awesome.

Esmerelda :)[/QUOTE]

I just returned from the WL. We also drove a long 25 hours to get there with snow and cars in the ditch through Kentuky, and constant rain all the way through Georgia at night. We were sure glad to get to the WL.

YES! I watched that show as well and loved seeing the WL! We also went to the Cirque show as they did! I had to laugh about their trip to the beach. I commend them for doing what they do with all those kids! I couldnt do it!

Greetings! I've read through this thread over the past week and am hoping for some more info on rooms. We have a courtyard view booked and would actually like to have a view of the lake, we don't care about seeing fireworks or anything, just want to stand on the balcony and see a view of the lake. Does anyone have a room # that fits that? Also, we are booked through AAA, do we need them to request the lake view and balcony for us? Thanks so much....we love the WL and can't wait to surprise the DS with his first trip there in just 21 days :woohoo:

We booked through AAA, and payed for the courtyard view, this last time. We requested "upper floor, near bay lake, inner courtyard" (that last since we didn't want to face the Villas, since we'll be staying there on all future stays now that we're DVC owners). We put our requests in through AAA (which is the only way to do it; you can't call Disney and modify your reservation if it's booked through a travel agent). The requests appeared on the documentation we received from AAA, so we thought all was well.

Then we arrived at WL, and were told that there were NO requests listed on our reservation! Fortunately, a kind cast member named Merl helped us out immensely. She went back "behind the scenes" and talked with the room planner, and we were given a room at the very end of the south wing, facing the inner courtyard, and on the 5th floor (there are only six floors out that far in the wing).

We had a wonderful view of Bay Lake right from our bed! And no one trooping past our room for the elevators other than the folks in the Jr. Suites on the end of the wing. And....

we also got a really good view of the fireworks!

Our room was 5165, but 6165 should be similar, as should 5163 and 6163.

On the north wing, you can get decent lake views also at the end of the wing, but the vegetation blocks a bit more of the view IMO.

So, if I were seeking what you are, I'd ask for an upper floor, near bay lake, inner courtyard. (It's usually better to tell them what you want rather than a specific room #, since if the room isn't available, they won't know which other room you'd prefer.)

But then I've only been there twice. Can any of the more experienced hands offer a better suggestion?

We had a great time at WL.

We had room 3016 - woods view with a bunk bed. We could see the castle at night and watched Wishes from our room several times (at least the high fireworks). Although, we could also hear the horn from the ferry boat most of the night too.

We were a little frustrated at first when we checked in because our room wasn't ready. We had lunch and waited around, but it still wasn't ready at 3:30 (when they guaranteed it would be ready at 3) and after getting up very early for a 7am flight we were all tired and cranky and just wanted to head to the parks. The manager did give us 4 any time fast passes which helped.:)

We had very few problems with the transportation which had me worried based on some peoples reviews. We only had one issue with the bus system and that was at 5:15pm going to Epcot. We waited over a half hour before a bus came and then had a really long wait at Fort Wilderness. We were late for our reservation at Coral Reef at 6:30, but didn't have a problem getting in (although it was close to 7:30). The ferry boat was a nice option to the Magic Kingdom and we never had to wait long for that.

We also got to be the flag family yesterday morning. What an awesome experience. The view is beautiful from that high and the cm was very informative about all things Disney. They also let us eat breakfast on the concierge level.

The only other con about this resort is the size and small selection of Roaring Fork. It's just surprising that a resort this large has such a small counter service area.

Anyway, the weather was perfect, the pool great and we would definitely recommend WL!

We love the Lodge also but really have a problem with the RF not being large enough. Not near enough selection if you are there more than a few days. My sis in law just returned and was impressed with everthing but that also. I have a toddler and got tired of giving her chicken nuggets. So I went over to the area that they make the sandwich stuff. Told him my concers and he let me just pick random stuff to put on a plate for her. Like chicken salad, olives, turkey and finger stuff. Another night we ordered room service. It was really good and very large portions. We never could get into WC at a normal hour for us and didn't want to attempt AP with a one year old at the time. They relly really need to look into this problem.

We will be at WL in April. We had been to WCC for dinner last year and thought the lodge was so nice that it would be our resort pick for the next time. Next time wasn't supposed to be for a few years but we just can't seem to escape the lure of Disney. Does anyone have advice on room location for a standard view? Are the rooms facing the lobby standard? Are they very noisy? I think it would be fun to walk out your door and see the lobby right there!

The lobby rooms are a beautiful site. Just remember that in the night time if you retire early the noise from WCC travels up. So up until at least 10:30 or so you have the excitement traveling up from WCC. We had a toddler last stay who didn't want to sleep because of it so we are going to try a woods view this time.

The lobby rooms are a beautiful site. Just remember that in the night time if you retire early the noise from WCC travels up. So up until at least 10:30 or so you have the excitement traveling up from WCC. We had a toddler last stay who didn't want to sleep because of it so we are going to try a woods view this time.

I posted on this thread a few days back...can anyone shed any light on the club level rooms...or the "club level" as a whole...?

I would love to hear any experiences!

Esmerelda :)

can anyone tell me if there is more or less space for storing your clothes and such since the rooms were remodeled?

We got a free upgrade to CL during our last stay in July. The regular CL rooms are no different size-wise than other rooms. All CL rooms are located on the 7th floor, and I believe they all have courtyard views. The Old Faithful Club is the CL Lounge, offering free breakfast, snacks, wine tastings and the like throughout the day. Along the 7th floor hallways overlooking the lobby, there are many seats for enjoying a snack, or couches for watching the big-screen TVs located around the level. Only CL guests can take advantage of these spots, because the 7th floor is card-key-accessible only. Much more information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Overall, we had a great experience. Hope this helps! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter