The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone- just wanted to drop in and say hi. I just finished my coast to coast at the Disneyland half! The princess was my very first 1/2 in February 2012. I now have done 3 and will be going for my 4th in November. Just wanted to tell you all that it is possible..... I've figured out that it is 70 percent mental. Amazing what the body will do when the mind is willing!

I'm going to attempt 9 more half's in 2013, to make it 13 13's by the end of '13. I'm pretty slow and the Disneyland half was my slowest yet, but don't overly care, this is for me not anyone else.

Enjoy the Princess, it is my favorite half so far! When times get tough ...........

D I G D E E P

Michele

kappyfamily said:
Hi everyone- just wanted to drop in and say hi. I just finished my coast to coast at the Disneyland half! The princess was my very first 1/2 in February 2012. I now have done 3 and will be going for my 4th in November. Just wanted to tell you all that it is possible..... I've figured out that it is 70 percent mental. Amazing what the body will do when the mind is willing!

I'm going to attempt 9 more half's in 2013, to make it 13 13's by the end of '13. I'm pretty slow and the Disneyland half was my slowest yet, but don't overly care, this is for me not anyone else.

Enjoy the Princess, it is my favorite half so far! When times get tough ...........

D I G D E E P

Michele

Congrats! On the coast to coast, on 3 halfs, on changing who you are, on your inspirational goals!

tinkeramy said:
To you and to the others that commented: I just couldn't believe that ugly comment came from an adult. I work at our church preschool and see a lot of moms frustrated with their weight after having several children and have even thought about starting a running group for those moms to help them feel accomplished and healthy. This may not be the year since we just moved into a new house and there's so much to do, but it's still in the back of my mind. I think there needs to be more low-pressure options out there for people who want to get started but don't have the confidence to do it on their own and don't want to show up at a running store-sponsored event and be intimidated by people that may *look* more fit than they are.

I absolutely love the idea of a Moms running group! I began running after becoming a Mom and would have loved finding support like that.
I am so proud that I am now mentoring a friend of mine into running (and fitness in general) for the first time in her life!

Keep that dream alive!

D I G D E E P

Michele

Awesome job! I love the dig deep mantra. There's a song from The Princess and the Frog called Dig a Little Deeper that's on my running playlist and it always gets me re-energized.

SuperHappyFunTimes said:
Awesome job! I love the dig deep mantra. There's a song from The Princess and the Frog called Dig a Little Deeper that's on my running playlist and it always gets me re-energized.

I'm going to have to add that to my playlist!

I have that on mine and I love it! "Blue skies and sunshine, guaranteed!"
I also have "Almost There" from that soundtrack - "I'm almost there - people 'round here think I'm crazy, but I don't care!"

tinkeramy said:
I also have "Almost There" from that soundtrack - "I'm almost there - people 'round here think I'm crazy, but I don't care!"

Great song selections! I'm always looking for fun, inspirational music for my playlist. I have a 5K tomorrow AM looks like I'll be hitting iTunes and updating my songs before bed.

I love your idea to start a running group for moms! I joined a similar running group two years ago that was geared towards truly out-of-shape people and included a broad range of ages (12 to over 70) and all shapes and sizes. We did a version of the couch to 5K program - building our confidence and endurance slowly. When I joined, I could not run half a mile. A 5K seemed an almost insurmountable goal. Two years later I just ran my first half-marathon! Without that group to get me started, I would still be inactive. I would NEVER have joined a running group that seemed like fit and experienced runners. PM me (or contact me on Daily Mile) if you want more info on the group here or to get in touch with the leader for ideas. It is a very grassroots, low-key group led by one woman.

Thanks! Part of what is holding me back is, um, the total lack of experience with starting a group! Also, as I said, we just moved and I am a little overwhelmed with how much more I need to do. But I still want to do this - I love our little preschool and the local (completely flat) running path goes RIGHT BY the church. People could drop their kids off and head up to the path - before they change their minds! ;) Also, our city has TONS of 5 and 10K race opps throughout the year, so it would be easy to set goals of getting those distances in. Perhaps January, when everyone has New Year's fitness goals and we could aim for some spring races as "rewards"! I know this is totally OT, but I even thought of a group name: St. Andrew Runners, or S.T.A.R and have the slogan "Fishin' for a Finish!" since St. Andrew was a fisherman. Okay, enough rambling, thanks for indulging me! Deer Isle, I'll PM you for details some time!

I absolutely love the idea of a Moms running group! I began running after becoming a Mom and would have loved finding support like that.
I am so proud that I am now mentoring a friend of mine into running (and fitness in general) for the first time in her life!

Keep that dream alive!

It is exciting. SaySay and I have a friend (from the preschool) who is just now starting to run and has the Princess as her ultimate goal. She just finished her first 5K today and was pretty discouraged, but we are hoping to get her confidence back up and on the right track again by promising her a superhuman burst of energy when all this crappy humidity goes away!!! :thumbsup2

Just ran on a new trail today that TOTALLY kicked my butt but, strangely, I loved it! It was VERY hilly, but back in the woods - more of a trail run - and so pretty. I walked more than I wanted, and by the last time through (it was a 2.25 loop and I was going for 6 today) I could not do anything but walk the hills. However, it was SO NICE to have a change of scenery and once I checked my ego as far as pace went, I acknowledged that if I just keep at this path once a week, I will be a much better runner than if I stick to my comfy completely flat paths. If I don't blow out my shins. :rolleyes:

I've got both those too, along with When We're Human. "Almost There" was up on my iPod after I got to EPCOT in February. Why yes I was almost there :cool1:

Finished my longest run yet this morning- 9 miles. In March, I couldn't even run 1/2 mile, and now I am so close to running a 1/2 marathon. For some reason, 9 miles is that magic mile marker in my head that tells me I've got this. (Totally going to go download "almost there" to my playlist, btw! Thanks!)

The one thing that I have found has helped me immensely is strength training. I've been hitting a core strength class at the gym and I find that even after just going a couple of times, my runs are better. So, get those runs in, but don't forget the rest of your body too!

Hi all. I am running the Princess Half. This will be the first half marathon I will run. I am so excited.(and nervous) I am sure there is tons of helpful hint in this thread. I will have to pour through it all.
I was doing pretty well earlier this year. But this summer has been hot..and I just have not been running. I really need to get back into the routine!!

Finished my longest run yet this morning- 9 miles. In March, I couldn't even run 1/2 mile, and now I am so close to running a 1/2 marathon. For some reason, 9 miles is that magic mile marker in my head that tells me I've got this. (Totally going to go download "almost there" to my playlist, btw! Thanks!)

The one thing that I have found has helped me immensely is strength training. I've been hitting a core strength class at the gym and I find that even after just going a couple of times, my runs are better. So, get those runs in, but don't forget the rest of your body too!

Great job on the 9 mile run! You DO have this! I think you'll find the next few are easier to add - especially if you take it nice and slow with walk intervals as needed (are you using Galloway?) Thanks for the tip on strength training - I definitely need to start paying attention to the rest of my body.

Registered for my 4th Princess Half this week! Used the 407-WDW-IRUN number to book a room at POFQ...it was about $200 cheaper for 4 nights in a King Room than the WDW web site.

Did the Disneyland Half last weekend and got my Coast-to-Coast medal...I love it! If you've been tempted to go for C2C, go for it!

Just ran on a new trail today that TOTALLY kicked my butt but, strangely, I loved it! It was VERY hilly, but back in the woods - more of a trail run - and so pretty. I walked more than I wanted, and by the last time through (it was a 2.25 loop and I was going for 6 today) I could not do anything but walk the hills. However, it was SO NICE to have a change of scenery and once I checked my ego as far as pace went, I acknowledged that if I just keep at this path once a week, I will be a much better runner than if I stick to my comfy completely flat paths. If I don't blow out my shins. :rolleyes:

I had a similar challenge when running at the cottage this summer - the hills there weren't big really but they tend to be steep. I kept at them and eventually they became normal so now a flat trail seems easy in comparison...and there are definitely days that I prefer the flat trail :rotfl2:

I also had to do the ego check on a run this week...DD10 was at a friends so I made sure she had my cell phone number since no one would be home and she called twice during my run. DD7 was riding her bike along side me but she has an issue with hills on her bike so in 2 different spots out and back I had to stop and wait for her as the path has a hill approaching a road crossing. I was starting to get frustrated but talked myself out of it...I realized I was still getting the miles in, even if the overall pace was slower because of interruptions. And, the stop and starts were great training for stopping to take pictures during the PHM!

Ok I am registered and made hotel reservations today! Whoohoo!! There is a group of us ladies going, some doing the half and some doing the 5k. It will be a great weekend! I tried to book Art of Animation through Disney sports however all the rooms were booked. We were able to get through regular Disney reservations though. We will miss out on the free gift that comes with the room booking for the 5th year anniversary. I am thinking this will not be a big loss but does anyone have an inside scoop on what that may be??? We all want to stay at the new resort and chose to stay value to save some funds as we will be leaving on a cruise Monday after the half! Hopefully we will be able to walk! LOL!!

I ran a fairly discouraging 5K today. It was a nice event that was well-run by the organizers, and it was a course I have done before. BUT, it was at 1:30 in the afternoon and it was sooo hot!! There was a mile and a half stretch that was in the sun with no shade and it was windy - a dry, hot wind. I was running almost 30 seconds better than my race average, but once I was about half way through the relentless sun part, I gained almost a minute on my average. It was discouraging because this is the last race I have before I do a half marathon in two weeks.

Oh well, I am not going to let it get to me. At least we got free ice cream at the finish! And, at least I finished! I kept repeating the WISH mantra - DLF>DNF>DNS

We will miss out on the free gift that comes with the room booking for the 5th year anniversary. I am thinking this will not be a big loss but does anyone have an inside scoop on what that may be???

I think it may be a runDisney Rolling Duffle. Get Travel is offering that to people who booked with them for the Tinker Bell 1/2 for stays at the Disneyland resort hotels.

Ok I am registered and made hotel reservations today! Whoohoo!! There is a group of us ladies going, some doing the half and some doing the 5k. It will be a great weekend! I tried to book Art of Animation through Disney sports however all the rooms were booked. We were able to get through regular Disney reservations though. We will miss out on the free gift that comes with the room booking for the 5th year anniversary. I am thinking this will not be a big loss but does anyone have an inside scoop on what that may be??? We all want to stay at the new resort and chose to stay value to save some funds as we will be leaving on a cruise Monday after the half! Hopefully we will be able to walk! LOL!!

Wow! A cruise after the half! :thumbsup2 Just walk around the parks after the race and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter