The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm visiting the parentals today and was planning to run this morning. As I was getting ready to head out I realized that I forgot to pack my running pants. So what's a Princess to do? Run in her pajama pants of course! Lol

AnotherPrincess said:
I'm visiting the parentals today and was planning to run this morning. As I was getting ready to head out I realized that I forgot to pack my running pants. So what's a Princess to do? Run in her pajama pants of course! Lol

Can't be any more odd than running in a tutu and tiara, right? :)

SuperHappyFunTimes said:
It was my first run with my Garmin Forerunner 10 and I LOVED it! It has a great run/walk interval timer and the distance matched the mile markers perfectly even though a lot of the race was through trails in the woods.

I finished my 5K in exactly 36 minutes, which was a pr for me. Man, I run slowly! :)

I compared the distance my phone calculated vs the markers and it was about .15 off for the total. Not bad, considering it was super crowded, so I was zigging and zagging and often required to take the outside lane around the many right-angle turns in the course.

But the difference made me wonder how off my training has been. SO, I went home and bit the bullet and ordered my Forerunner 10! I don't need anything too fancy. Anyone else use the Forerunner 10? Any tips or advice?

This is a general race etiquette question, as I have only run a couple of races. Is it not standard practice for walkers (not run/walkers) to start at the back of the pack, so to speak? Several times at the very beginning of the race today I was faced with a wall of walkers that I had to try to navigate around. And I mean in the first .10 of a mile.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was polite (and safer) to line up according to speed. So I started near the middle of the pack. Is that how it's done in the well run races (I don't think mine was particularly well run)? If it's assumed to be a free-for-all, then I'm going to need to get ahead of the walkers! As it was it took 3 minutes to reach the starting line after the race officially "started."

jahber said:
I finished my 5K in exactly 36 minutes, which was a pr for me. Man, I run slowly! :)

I compared the distance my phone calculated vs the markers and it was about .15 off for the total. Not bad, considering it was super crowded, so I was zigging and zagging and often required to take the outside lane around the many right-angle turns in the course.

But the difference made me wonder how off my training has been. SO, I went home and bit the bullet and ordered my Forerunner 10! I don't need anything too fancy. Anyone else use the Forerunner 10? Any tips or advice?

I use the 10 as well. So far it seems to be working well! My phone app was off as well, particularly on long runs. I usually run with both now and on a 9 mile run my Nike said I had run over 10! I was totally under training in the past. I suspected it, but the 10 is proving it

36 minutes is a great time! Congrats! Love my Forerunner 10 - used it at my race today and it was accurate.

This is a general race etiquette question, as I have only run a couple of races. Is it not standard practice for walkers (not run/walkers) to start at the back of the pack, so to speak? Several times at the very beginning of the race today I was faced with a wall of walkers that I had to try to navigate around. And I mean in the first .10 of a mile.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was polite (and safer) to line up according to speed. So I started near the middle of the pack. Is that how it's done in the well run races (I don't think mine was particularly well run)? If it's assumed to be a free-for-all, then I'm going to need to get ahead of the walkers! As it was it took 3 minutes to reach the starting line after the race officially "started."

Yes - that is correct. However, some people just flat out don't adhere to that. I've also noticed a shift in etiquett in something else at more and more races - interval runners on the outside and "straight" runners down the middle. More and more, I am seeing faster runners darting to the outside to get around everyone else. That makes it harder for those of us who take walk breaks to safely get over and keep others safe while we are walking.

Had a great Gobble Jog 10K today! While not a PR, I did a lot better than I thought I would. My training has not been that disciplined and my shin has been REALLY sore - to the point that I was worried about a stress fracture. Turns out, I had a great run and came in at 1:01:23. The weather was beautiful and the shin didn't hurt during the run or even now. This is the 2nd time I've run this one and my favorite spectators were out again - an older couple who sit on their front porch. The man plays the tuba and the woman yells "CHARGE"! It's a hoot. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: I love it!!!!!

It is proper race etiquette but there are definitely those who don't follow it. It makes it harder and less safe because you are bobbing and weaving around obstacles. I hate when races don't mane an announcement asking people to observe that courtesy.

Great job to all you turkey trotters and ladies hitting PRs today!!! Woo!!!!:banana:

I am so wishing I could run. I feel like a turkey -- fully stuffed!! Maybe another week of PT and he'll let me.

I did my first race ever today. A 5k. I finished at 36:51 and GPS said 3.15 so my pace was 11:45. It's my longest run in months!

Hope all the other racers had fun!

Hey princesses! Happy thanksgiving!!!

Finished my first 10k today. 1:08:20. I wanted to stay under an hour 10. I can't believe I did it!!! It also was about 75 out. It felt like 90! I bet if it were cooler I could've shaved a few mins ;) regardless I am so happy!

Hope all of you who participated in a turkey trot did wonderfully! Now go reward yourselves with turkey and pie. We deserve it! Xo

-Beth

I did a turkey trot this morning. PR of 37:45. I was so trying to get under 38. There were over 600 runners. Absolutely crazy and wonderful all at the same time. Btw. DD finished 30:30.

36 minutes is a great time! Congrats! Love my Forerunner 10 - used it at my race today and it was accurate.

Yes - that is correct. However, some people just flat out don't adhere to that. I've also noticed a shift in etiquett in something else at more and more races - interval runners on the outside and "straight" runners down the middle. More and more, I am seeing faster runners darting to the outside to get around everyone else. That makes it harder for those of us who take walk breaks to safely get over and keep others safe while we are walking.

Had a great Gobble Jog 10K today! While not a PR, I did a lot better than I thought I would. My training has not been that disciplined and my shin has been REALLY sore - to the point that I was worried about a stress fracture. Turns out, I had a great run and came in at 1:01:23. The weather was beautiful and the shin didn't hurt during the run or even now. This is the 2nd time I've run this one and my favorite spectators were out again - an older couple who sit on their front porch. The man plays the tuba and the woman yells "CHARGE"! It's a hoot. :thumbsup2

GREAT times fellow Princess ! You guys totally blow away my times of12:45 I'm not worthy:worship:

On the subject of me being slow...I totally start in the back of the race pack...I know my pace so I'm not going to toe the line. Running is much like snow skiing...stay to the side so the fast people can swoosh quickly down the slopes ( yup, had the ski patrol at park city tell me to slow down !) :confused3

I did a Turkey Trot this morning (in my awesome orange Sparkle Skirt, got lots of compliments) and finished in 27:22 my PR AND beat my Cross Country PR from the early 90s!!!

Hubby did the 10k in 49 min. He's crazy!!!

Yeah I thought that was the general rule also.

I ran a turkeytrot today that started the 10K first in 2 "waves". I'm a slow run/walker so moved to the back of the second wave. They waited 5 minutes between each wave so not bad.

BUT they sent the 5K walkers off 15 mins after the 2nd wave of 10K runners all in one big bunch and then 5 mins later sent off the 5K runners.

DH was a 5K walker and he said there was quite a bit of shouting for the walkers to "move to the right" and he said it was comical to see what people thought "right" was.

And the other big clunk was that the 10K was twice around the 5K course. I know this course was not the one they really wanted to do and they were required to change it just last week to make the city planners and police happy.

BUT I made it in 1:21:48 so quite happy about that.

As others have mentioned, yes, walkers should start after the runners. Not sure if it's a regional thing, but around my area, race etiquette also calls for walkers and slow runners to keep to the right, with faster runners to the left once out on the course. Of course, lots of people either ignore it or just aren't aware... (usually the same people who walk three- or four-people side-by-side-by-side-by-side and block the entire width of the route). :confused3

I'm trying (and failing) to be all zen about it, and just focus on running my own race, but always have a little voice in my head screaming "Get out of my way!!"

Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!