• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
ColleenG said:
Wow! A cruise after the half! :thumbsup2 Just walk around the parks after the race and you should be fine.

I'll second that. We just finished the Disneyland 1/2. We went to the pool after the race to cool and relax our legs, then hit the showers and spent the rest of the day walking the parks - slowly at times - until 10pm. Worked wonders on the legs with very little soreness the next day. I felt better after this run than on my daily runs.

I think it may be a runDisney Rolling Duffle. Get Travel is offering that to people who booked with them for the Tinker Bell 1/2 for stays at the Disneyland resort hotels.

Do we get the gift if we had to book through regular Disney Travel? I needed a 2 BDRM villa and runDisney couldn't book it for me so I had to book through the regular people.

I know this is largely a woman's based running event.

Need honest answers here...do men run this or is it frowned upon as in...it's just not done? Are they welcomed or made to feel out of place? What's been your experience?

Need honest answers here...do men run this or is it frowned upon as in...it's just not done? Are they welcomed or made to feel out of place? What's been your experience?

I've heard only one or two accounts in the last couple of years of males having a negative experience as a praticipant because of snide comments, which I think is just absurd! I saw many males running it in 2011 and my BF is registered to run it with me in 2013...some even get really into it and wear a tutu or tiara! I cannot even understand why on earth anyone would have a problem with it...but you know they say there's always that one in every group that has to ruin it for everybody else. I noticed this year that there is an option during registration for a men's cut shirt so I'm betting more and more men are starting to register and wanted that option. I'd say odds are that you won't have any trouble at all or be made to feel out of place. Just know that males are not allowed to place in any of the categories to win (except the co-ed team category, of course)...in case you are fast enough to be a contender....and I believe all male participants are made to start no further ahead than B or C corral...they really want a female princess crossing the finish line first :)

I've heard only one or two accounts in the last couple of years of males having a negative experience as a praticipant because of snide comments, which I think is just absurd! I saw many males running it in 2011 and my BF is registered to run it with me in 2013...some even get really into it and wear a tutu or tiara! I cannot even understand why on earth anyone would have a problem with it...but you know they say there's always that one in every group that has to ruin it for everybody else. I noticed this year that there is an option during registration for a men's cut shirt so I'm betting more and more men are starting to register and wanted that option. I'd say odds are that you won't have any trouble at all or be made to feel out of place. Just know that males are not allowed to place in any of the categories to win (except the co-ed team category, of course)...in case you are fast enough to be a contender....and I believe all male participants are made to start no further ahead than B or C corral...they really want a female princess crossing the finish line first :)

My husband is toying with running with my daughter and I...supporting his princess - our daughter - and me, the Queen. :rotfl:

He feels uncomfortable right now with the thought not knowing if it is well received. I know that there is always a few in the crowd that would take issue with it. Just didn't know how acceptable it is in general. That's why I'm looking for honest answers before we plunk down the money. It's not going to hurt my feelings in any way to find out that yeah, the guys should stay away from this one. I'd rather know now.

No worries on him starting in that B or even C corral. He'd be at the back of the pack with me. With the both of us, the title of crossing that finish line is safe with someone else. ;)

My thoughts--- if they are out to WIN the event, not a fan, and I wouldn't be super supportive. They have every right to be there, but yeah, I would give an exasperated look and be annoyed that they have to push past me to get to the front. Being that they have to start a few corrals back... they are pushing past a lot of us to get to the front. :crazy2:

If they are there as support for their princess, or not uber-competitive, I am totally thrilled to see them there.

There was one guy who went past me (dressed as Russell, the boy from Up) and he was awesome. Just running his own race, not trying to hot dog around people... but he passed me and that was ok too. There were a lot of guys running with their princesses, and I loved it. Totally supportive. A few dudes in princess costumes too- totally in the spirit of the race. Awesome.

So it's in the attitude of the male, not the fact that they are a male, that would determine my personal reaction to one. Does that make sense?

Support- :thumbsup2

Wanting to prove he can pass as many women at a womens focused event as he can? Not cool :sad2:

Totally agree with the above post! I would not enjoy seeing a group of men getting ready to kick @ss and talking about the 4-minute miles they want to run. But if they are there to support the women in their lives who are running and can enjoy the spirit of the day, that is different. It is a day all about girl power and if they can roll with that, great!

Jodi

www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

I understand what you're saying. Most people pass us up, not the other way around.

That's why he's on the fence. He's not going to first, he will most likely be toward the rear of the pack, but he won't be last. Think 14 minute miles as a rule - even on our good days without injuries. Since he won't be a 16 minute miler, and may be within 5 to 10 minutes of me - either in front of me or behind me since we find it difficult to pace exactly the same (his strides are longer and we take varying walk breaks), will that be misconstrued in any way?

At the Disneyland 1/2, there were a few guys who were very vocal passing up people during the first mile about how they "really weren't placed in the right corral". I mean, was it necessary to say that? So many people are out there just trying. Do they need their face rubbed in it that they weren't going fast enough for these guys? :rolleyes2

ETA: Thank you for the responses so far. I appreciate the honesty.

I ran it this past year and I can only speak for myself and what I saw, but I did not see ANY men being treated unkindly. The overwhelming amount of women is pretty amazing though I will say! 19,000+ people and most of them were women! There was one guy who finished near me and was in my husbands pics who ran in a rapunzel costume and wig! Amazing! I think any man who wants to do it should do it! It's not like they're running to win the race lol. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

I ran it this past year and I can only speak for myself and what I saw, but I did not see ANY men being treated unkindly. The overwhelming amount of women is pretty amazing though I will say! 19,000+ people and most of them were women! There was one guy who finished near me and was in my husbands pics who ran in a rapunzel costume and wig! Amazing! I think any man who wants to do it should do it! It's not like they're running to win the race lol. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

I did tell him, he'd have to dress up - somehow, someway. And he already came up with a fun idea.

Do we get the gift if we had to book through regular Disney Travel? I needed a 2 BDRM villa and runDisney couldn't book it for me so I had to book through the regular people.

Yes I am pretty sure that you need to book through the disnysports line to get this gift. You also have to have a minimun 4 night stay. The rolling duffle does sound nice, but I think we will stay with what we booked.

My husband decided to run the princess with me as a way for us to become healthier as a couple. He just signed up a week ago and he's been jogging with me since.

So excited!

But I have a question, are any of you ladies also getting the dining plan option with your vacation package? I'm on the fence with it.

And.... I'm wondering if my husband and I should have dinner at CRT. We've had lunch there this past summer and don't know if it's worth it for our celebration dinner ( he's not too big into characters) but completing this half is a momentous occasion!

Help!

My husband decided to run the princess with me as a way for us to become healthier as a couple. He just signed up a week ago and he's been jogging with me since.

So excited!

But I have a question, are any of you ladies also getting the dining plan option with your vacation package? I'm on the fence with it.

And.... I'm wondering if my husband and I should have dinner at CRT. We've had lunch there this past summer and don't know if it's worth it for our celebration dinner ( he's not too big into characters) but completing this half is a momentous occasion!

Help!

We ate at CRT last year the evening of the race and it was awesome. We couldn't enjoy an adult beverage there but we were probably too tired to have that anyway by then! LOL! The food was delicious and the atmosphere was perfect for such an occasion. Our server was great, he was so funny and made it a great time. We got the pics done and loved every minute!!

I understand what you're saying. Most people pass us up, not the other way around.

That's why he's on the fence. He's not going to first, he will most likely be toward the rear of the pack, but he won't be last. Think 14 minute miles as a rule - even on our good days without injuries. Since he won't be a 16 minute miler, and may be within 5 to 10 minutes of me - either in front of me or behind me since we find it difficult to pace exactly the same (his strides are longer and we take varying walk breaks), will that be misconstrued in any way?

At the Disneyland 1/2, there were a few guys who were very vocal passing up people during the first mile about how they "really weren't placed in the right corral". I mean, was it necessary to say that? So many people are out there just trying. Do they need their face rubbed in it that they weren't going fast enough for these guys? :rolleyes2

ETA: Thank you for the responses so far. I appreciate the honesty.

honestly! what a bunch of turds! :rolleyes2 I would have thought the same thing "great, you're faster, wonderful...can't you just pass silently??" I just don't understand some people!

I remember a pack of men that whizzed by me at Tinker Bell...same thing there, men could not win or start in the first, and maybe even the second, corrals. They didn't actually say anything to anyone though...just flew on by! Which, hey, I get it...you trained and you want to run the best race you can no matter what corral you're in...just be nice! Comments aren't necessary...unless it's "excuse me!" or "lookin' good ladies!!" ;)

I hope he decides to register! I'm sure he'll have a blast!

honestly! what a bunch of turds! :rolleyes2 I would have thought the same thing "great, you're faster, wonderful...can't you just pass silently??" I just don't understand some people!

I remember a pack of men that whizzed by me at Tinker Bell...same thing there, men could not win or start in the first, and maybe even the second, corrals. They didn't actually say anything to anyone though...just flew on by! Which, hey, I get it...you trained and you want to run the best race you can no matter what corral you're in...just be nice! Comments aren't necessary...unless it's "excuse me!" or "lookin' good ladies!!" ;)

I hope he decides to register! I'm sure he'll have a blast!

It made me mad and sad for those that may have taken it to heart. What I found amusing is that I thought I was running a pretty darn good first mile! So while it was fast for me, I was obviously one of the ones slowing them down as they were weaving in and out.

Thanks for the encouragement. :thumbsup2

It made me mad and sad for those that may have taken it to heart. What I found amusing is that I thought I was running a pretty darn good first mile! So while it was fast for me, I was obviously one of the ones slowing them down as they were weaving in and out.

Thanks for the encouragement. :thumbsup2

When people do that, this quote crosses my mind:

"Very good, Kronk! Here. Get the snack."

Well, we just registered my hubby yesterday. He certainly isn't a speed demon and will most certainly not be passing very many people. He started running after seeing how much I loved racing. For him, this race is about accomplishing his goal of running a half, supporting me in my goal, and enjoying the experience together.

We haven't really figured out the logistics of our run--I run faster and will almost certainly be starting in a higher corral, but I'm also planning on stopping for as many pictures as I can. So, we are hoping to meet up maybe at the castle for a picture and then again to cross the finish line together.

My husband has run in the past two Princess Half races. He ran one with our older daughter and one with our younger daughter. He had a wonderful time and did not hear any negative comments.

He was more frustrated three years ago when our daughters and I ran the Princess and he was a "just" a spectator...he couldn't stand not running with us!

So excited!

Help!

Sooooo doing the dining plan!! It's my husband's determining reason for staying on property, and it's such a load off not worrying about figuring out eating etc.
We're not doing CRT for a celebration dinner. I can see why it would be perfect. For us, I know it will be a really long day (for all of us) and I can totally see us cancelling our dinner plans or changing the time. If it was my husband and I, I'd totally go for it. But, my kids are crazy unpredictable.

Lauraldawn said:
Sooooo doing the dining plan!! It's my husband's determining reason for staying on property, and it's such a load off not worrying about figuring out eating etc.
We're not doing CRT for a celebration dinner. I can see why it would be perfect. For us, I know it will be a really long day (for all of us) and I can totally see us cancelling our dinner plans or changing the time. If it was my husband and I, I'd totally go for it. But, my kids are crazy unpredictable.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter