The New and Updated Port Orleans Riverside FAQ Thread for 2008 --- NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got back wednesday from a fantastic week at por. paid for a standard room, requested magnolia bend. Ended up in magnolia terrace (8767) king size bed, and if you stood in the doorway just right you could see the river. not a bad walk to the lobby/food court. bus depot right out back along with the quiet pool to the side of the building. housekeeping was good, no complaints. bus service was good i think the longest we waited was for a bus to epcot one morning and we waited just about 10 minutes. only had to stand on the bus 2 times, and once was because even though we got on and there were available seats i knew there was a family getting on behind us so i figured we would let them sit and my boyfriend and I could stand. soo happy with this resort, and cant wait to stay there again!

I am definitely getting excited about my trip now!! Thank you so much for posting this thread with all the great info!!

DH and I will be celebrating our first anniversary at POR next month!! (It's really like 7 weeks away, but I LOVE the fact that I can say 'next month' now!!)

We requested a King Bed, and I told the reservation guy that I would be even more excited and it would be a more magical anniversary if we could be in one of the mansions with a water view. Do you think we'll be lucky enough for all three??? :flower3:

my family and I are going to POR the first week of may during my birthday.I like to fish and was wondering how good the fishing was.

We'll be staying at POR in March. Is there a walking trail to Downtown Disney? How long a walk is it? Thanks!

We'll be staying at POR in March. Is there a walking trail to Downtown Disney? How long a walk is it? Thanks!

No, sorry. It's about two and a half miles, and the only easy way to get there yourself would be to swim! :) You can walk over to French Quarter though.

Andre

my family and I are going to POR the first week of may during my birthday.I like to fish and was wondering how good the fishing was.

We just came home on Wednesday:sad1: and fished that morning . It cost a family of up to six people $13. for one half an hour. We fished for one whole hour because only one of my daughters caught a fish during the first half hour. In the last five minutes the last of my three girls caught her fish. Three fish in one hour! I thought that was pretty good! They aren't large fish that we caught, about 4 inches long maybe? The kids had fun waiting to catch a fish by watching a large turtle and listening to some sort of bullfrog noise coming from rioght behind us!:goodvibes

The best way to get to Downtown Disney from POR is to take the boat! It's a great little ride, and pretty at night with all the lights. Probably takes about 20 minutes, if that.

I am in a pickle...I have a discounted ressie for mom and I at CBR in the preferred section of the resort. I know she would really like the theming and boat ride to DTD much better. Mom is 77 y.o. and I am afraid we will be stuck out in the 'boonies'! She can walk with a walker, but am trying hard not to get her too far away from the food courts and boat to DTD. Should I take the chance or stick with the ressie I already have? Is POR that huge that it will be a pain to get a round? I hope not...It just looks so beautiful. We have stayed at CBR 4 times now and am ready for a change!!

When you calll to change to POR just tell them about your mom and they will put that on eht ressie. Sometimes they are able to get a special section blocked for the handicapped if this is a medical reason. Will she be on a scooter?

We had a very nice stay at POR 8/17-8/29. We were in 1763 (building 17, 2nd floor parking lot view) This worked out well as we had our own car & was able to get to our car easily. Also convenient when it was pouring.
WDWAugust2008036.jpg

Our room was clean & comfortable.
WDWAugust2008035.jpg

We had stayed in POR once before & we all enjoyed this stay much more. We tried out both the POR & POFQ pools. My kids preferred the theming at POFQ.
POR slide.
WDWAugust2008349.jpg

POFQ slide
WDWAugust2008359.jpg

Our view looking to the right. The view directly ahead was the parking lot.
WDWAugust2008157.jpg

We did not use the buses since we had our own car. The staff was friendly & housekeeping was good. We caught some of Bob Jackson's piano act which was fun. We ate at Boatwright's for breakfast on the last day there. We had 1 TS credit left (well 5 TS credits, = 1 meal) so it was great to have Boatwright's in the resort as this was an unplanned meal. Very tasty!

The gift shop had a nice variety of gifts & soveniers. Foodcourt was always crowded but we did find seats & were able to eat there a few times.

It was a nice stay & would return.:thumbsup2

We stayed at POR Aug 31-Sept 5. I had requested Building 14, 15, or 18 and was lucky enough to get Bldg 15. It was close to the food court, main entrance and bus stops. It was also close to the main pool and a quieter pool around the back. We had a nice room with 2 double beds and a trundle bed for our 2 yo.
The boat ride to DTD was nice and relaxing. It was a short walk to POFQ.
Unless DH wants to try somewhere else, we will be staying there again.

I heard something about this on a dis podcast but have not been able to find any info anywhere - has anyone heard of this at all? Is it a kids activity? When? Where can I get info? We will be staying at POR in October.

Thanks
Denise

I heard something about this on a dis podcast but have not been able to find any info anywhere - has anyone heard of this at all? Is it a kids activity? When? Where can I get info? We will be staying at POR in October.

Yes, it's a kids activity (ages 4-10). It last about 2 hours and the boat sets off from the POR marina at 9.30am on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Sundays. Cost is $30, bookings on 1-407-WDW-PLAY. For more info, see www.portorleans.org?sub_rec_recreation.htm

Andre

Thanks
Denise

Denise-

we will be at the POR Oct 16-20 and I just booked this for my DD (8)
its actually for kids 4-12 (according to the CM that took my ressie) they leave the POR dock (we picked Sun 19th) at 11:30 (get there 15-30 minutes early) by the marina and return around 1:30. it includes PB&J sand, drink and snack and they pick up pirate treasure on the way. pirate:

She was excited to have something different to do and my DH and I hope to chill by the pool for a drink or two and a quiet lunch!

hope this helps

they leave the POR dock (we picked Sun 19th) at 11:30 (get there 15-30 minutes early) by the marina and return around 1:30.

Interesting, I thought there was only the one cruise each day, at 9.30am? Certainly two weeks ago the cruises were loading from the dock at 9.30am - in fact, here's a photo of one leaving the marina at 9.41am on Sunday 24 August (with all the mum's and dads waving off their little pirate offspring!).

IMG_6035.jpg

I wonder if they've changed the system, or if the booking office got it wrong? Might be worth a quick call to confirm, as I think the old Sassagoula River Adventure (pre pirates) was at 11.30.

Andre

"Ahoy! Any child who has ever dreamed of being part of a pirate adventure will enjoy "heading out to sea" in pursuit of treasure.

Children ages 4-12 will be outfitted with a red/white striped pirate Mickey hat (or a bandana) and board their pirate ship (pontoon boat) under the supervision of the "pirate" crew. At each "port of call" a new treasure awaits. At the final stop, they can share their booty while enjoying lunch. At least two Cast Members accompany the children, which are all CPR certified. All participants must be potty trained. (No Pull-ups.)

Lunch is usually Peanut butter and jelly Uncrustables, Goldfish crackers, Rice Krispee Treat and fruit punch juice box

Sassagoula River Adventure Cruise - Port Orleans Riverside Dock on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. The two hour voyage begins at 11:30am. "

I believe these are one in the same

they leave from various places on various days- CBR, GF, YBC and POR
I got my info from www.wdwinfo.com under resorts or dining

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter