THE LIBERAL THREAD #3- No Debate Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got a note from one of my liberal co-workers.

Apparently the View just had a contentious meeting with Coulter.

I'm sure it will be on Huffington soon.

I'm currently TiVoing it - and will watch soon.....

I love "working from home" on Mondays! ;)

Did Elisabeth kiss her whiney blank?

I was failing my car inspection..(need tires) I miss all the fun!

I thought Ann Coulter fell down stairs and broke her jaw and had to wire it shut.....has she healed up already????? Medicine is just too advanced these days!!!:rotfl:

Did Elisabeth kiss her whiney blank?

I was failing my car inspection..(need tires) I miss all the fun!

Ann is one of those cons who can't talk normally - she screeches.

It was a poor interview - I don't think she made any points - they didn't either.

She'll just use it to be a "victim" of the left.......

I thought Ann Coulter fell down stairs and broke her jaw and had to wire it shut.....has she healed up already????? Medicine is just too advanced these days!!!:rotfl:

OMG! I forgot about that ...:lmao:

I guess that was more garbage like her being banned from NBC...

You're terrible! I mean that in the nicest way, of course.

It was a poor interview - I don't think she made any points - they didn't either.

Is it just me, or is she the whitest woman in America?

OMG! I forgot about that ...:lmao:

I guess that was more garbage like her being banned from NBC...

I saw a bit of it. Nothing really surprising. She really didn't even make sense. I'm going with the "she's a drunk" theory.

the best lines were by whoopie... calling coulters writings/behaviors an "Act"
and whoopies last words to her... "you can dish it out but you can't take it"

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :worship: :worship:

Removed because there was a naughty word I didn't see at first! (thanks LakeAriel, and btw, sweepy sweepy!)

Just go to youtube and search Coulter/View and it will come right up

Thanks so much, that youtube was well worth it! They chewed her up and spit her out! Bless your heart! :hippie:

Housework done..;)

WOOHOO!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

And in bigger news, starting week 1 there will be an executive order to close GITMO according to the AP...

Thank God!

In other news it has just been announced:

Roland Burris is expected to take Barack Obama’s U.S. Senate seat this week, Democratic Senate leaders say.

I think it's time..Burris is a good fit, though I would have preferred Jackson and there is a bit of arugula in my teeth, but we need to get busy!!

Morning libbies!

Guess what happens one week from manana?

;)

8 days darlin's!

Beautiful, just beautiful!

:banana: :banana:

So I just got a note from one of my liberal co-workers.

Apparently the View just had a contentious meeting with Coulter.

I'm sure it will be on Huffington soon.

I'm currently TiVoing it - and will watch soon.....

I love "working from home" on Mondays! ;)

I missed it, and I don't have the View on DVR to record. I so hope it's on Youtube. I want to see Whoopi give Coulter the smack-down she so justly deserves.

Thank God!

In other news it has just been announced:

Roland Burris is expected to take Barack Obama’s U.S. Senate seat this week, Democratic Senate leaders say.

I think it's time..Burris is a good fit, though I would have preferred Jackson and there is a bit of arugula in my teeth, but we need to get busy!!

I agree that Burris should be seated. It's a non-issue for me. The appointment is legal, so he should assume Obama's senate seat.

While there are far better choices than Warren, at least the inclusion of Robinson signals that the Obama camp now has it's eyes and ears open in regard to the GLBTG community.

Exactly who I said he should have chosen over Warren. I'm an Episcopalian and I love Robinson!! This will go a long way to appease the GLBTG community even if it was an after thought-it shows Obama is still thinking, listening and responding!!! At last, the right person for the job!!

Re Warren, I kept telling people, 'if *I'M* this mad over Warren as a straight, hetero woman - can you imagine how the Gay...community feels?' Bravo Barack, keep workin' it honey!!

Did you guys read the Great Propaganda put out by the NY Times today? The East is such a mecca of Propaganda isn't it... Haven't we seen this somewhere :rolleyes:

Well, anyhow, on to the reading portion....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/opinion/12mon4.html?_r=2&th&emc=th

Editorial Observer
Republicans’ Latest Talking Point: The New Deal Failed

Article Tools Sponsored By
By ADAM COHEN
Published: January 11, 2009

On Christmas Eve, the conservative pundit Monica Crowley argued on Fox News that instead of rescuing America from the Great Depression, Franklin Roosevelt’s spending on public works made it worse. She insisted that this bizarre claim was confirmed by “all kinds of studies and academic work.”
Skip to next paragraph
The Board Blog

The show’s host backed her up. “Yes,” said Gregg Jarrett, “I think historians pretty much agree on that.” In the same vein, a recent Wall Street Journal opinion piece said F.D.R. helped turn “a panic into the worst depression of modern times.” Now, as Congress begins to debate President-elect Barack Obama’s ambitious economic stimulus plan, this anti-New Deal talking point is popping up all over.

Conservatives have railed against the New Deal from the start. In 1934, H. L. Mencken was already decrying it as “a saturnalia of expropriation and waste.” When F.D.R. ran for re-election in 1936, a headline in William Randolph Hearst’s newspapers insisted that “Moscow Backs Roosevelt.”

But Americans were not fooled. They knew F.D.R. was on their side in a way that Herbert Hoover and his fellow free-marketers hadn’t been. They could see first-hand the good that Roosevelt’s jobs programs were doing for the Depression’s victims and the slow but unmistakable improvements in the economy.

In the 1934 midterm elections, the voters delivered their first verdict on the New Deal, expanding the Democrats’ margins in Congress. In 1936, F.D.R. won in a bigger landslide than he had four years earlier. By 1940, the Republican nominee, Wendell Willkie, was supporting much of Roosevelt’s social welfare and regulatory regime.

Anti-New Deal rhetoric has never disappeared from American political life. When Barry Goldwater ran for president in 1964, he attacked President Dwight Eisenhower for having presided over a “dime store New Deal.” But in recent years, the attacks have heated up.

At the start of the Bush administration, conservatives talked openly about rolling back the New Deal. They were trying to unravel the regulatory state, including protections for workers, consumers and investors. They were also promoting a favorite cause of Wall Street’s: privatizing Social Security, the crown jewel of the New Deal.

These days the public is in no mood, given the high costs of deregulation in the mortgage industry and the Bernard Madoff scandal, for more talk about dismantling regulations and federal oversight. But today, the new focus is Mr. Obama’s stimulus package. If F.D.R.’s New Deal spending made things worse, it follows that the Obama administration should not make the same mistake.

The anti-New Deal line is wrong as a matter of economics. F.D.R.’s spending programs did help the economy and created millions of new jobs. The problem, we now know, is not that F.D.R. spent too much priming the pump, but rather that he spent too little. It was his decision to cut back on spending on New Deal programs that brought about a nasty recession in 1937-38.

The second problem is that the criticism overlooks the relief Roosevelt’s programs brought to millions. When F.D.R. took office, unemployment was 25 percent, and families were losing their homes, living in shantytowns, even fighting one another for food at garbage dumps.

The difference that the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Works Progress Administration and other New Deal public works programs made in people’s lives is incalculable.

F.D.R.’s labor secretary, Frances Perkins, described in her memoir what a relief job meant to an “almost deaf, elderly lawyer” she knew whose practice had failed. He had gotten a job as a caretaker at a small seaside park. “He made little extra plantings,” she recalled, “arranged charming paths and walks, acted as guide to visitors, supervised children’s play.” When she saw him, she said, “he would always ask me to take a message to the President — a message of gratitude for a job which paid him fifteen dollars a week and kept him from starving to death.”

Congressional Republicans say Mr. Obama’s stimulus will cost too much, and that over time the economy will cure itself. When critics raised the same objections to F.D.R.’s programs, his relief administrator, Harry Hopkins, had a ready answer: “People don’t eat in the long run. They eat every day.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter