The "I Got Engaged in Disney World" Trip Report - POR and DCL - Sept 07 UPDATED 8/31

Oh Amy so glad you are back!!!! I am sorry to hear about your Dad, but I am sure he would appreciate some time with you guys on the DCL.

Where in Southern NH is the church? We live in Salem.

BTW, we booked the 4 day DCL trip fr April of 2009. We have not told the kids. We are thinking about surprising them.

The church is in Plaistow; the reception will be at the Atkinson. :)

Awesome about the booked cruise. I LOVE DCL. What a great surprise for your kids. :goodvibes

Day 1 continued:

As an aside, I’ve been working on a cross-stitch of Cinderella Castle for a couple of years and before our trip I joked to Bill that it was a good thing he had seen the cross-stitch, so that he would recognize the castle when he saw it in person. (I’m a dork, what can I say?) Well, we get a bit down Main Street when Bill stops us and pulls out his phone. He looks at it, looks up at the castle, and says, “yeah, that’s it!”. He had taken a picture of my cross-stitch before leaving home just to be able to do that. :love:

crosssitch.jpg

Lovin the trip report! I'm currently working on the same cross stitch project - I'm about 1/3 of the way done - it looks fabulous! you've done a great job!

Lovin the trip report! I'm currently working on the same cross stitch project - I'm about 1/3 of the way done - it looks fabulous! you've done a great job!

Hi Diane! It took me literally years to finish it! (I just finished over New Year's weekend.) It really does come out nicely - I can't wait to get it framed. Now I'm working on the one where Mickey is doing a self portrait, looking in the mirror at himself but painting Walt. SO cute.

Hi Diane! It took me literally years to finish it! (I just finished over New Year's weekend.) It really does come out nicely - I can't wait to get it framed. Now I'm working on the one where Mickey is doing a self portrait, looking in the mirror at himself but painting Walt. SO cute.

That's the one I'm working on too!

I love your trip report! I can't wait to read more! Can't wait to hear about the wedding too....Are you planning a Disneymoon?

OMG, that sounds so amazing. I wish we could've taken a two week Honeymoon.

It is my engagement ring.....I love it soo omuch. It wasn't ment to be a Mickey Ring, but my DF said it reminded him of my earings I wear everyday. Only Disney lovers see the Mickey right away! LOL

Before I start, I apologize for the lack of photos for this day - we just really didn't take many worth posting!

This was a day that Bill had been looking forward to for a long time – Animal Kingdom day! Bill loves animals, and the last time he had visited Disney World, Animal Kingdom was just being built. So, he was very excited for this.

We got fast passes for Expedition Everest right away and then headed over to the Kilimanjaro Safari. We waited in a pretty long line here, and talked to my mom on the phone while we waited. I like how they have the tvs overhead giving information about the animals – it helps you forget how long you’ve been waiting… but you remember quickly when the video starts its loop over again. We finally ended up on a safari vehicle and had a good trip, although Bill’s camera battery died pretty early on so he wasn’t able to get many good animal pictures.

P9030045.jpg

We did a few more attractions but it was very hot and pretty crowded at Animal Kingdom that day (the crowds would die down a bit over the next couple of days, as the long weekend crowds departed) so we decided to head back to Port Orleans Riverside for lunch and a swim.

We stopped for lunch at the Port Orleans food court, and it was really good. We used two counter service credits here – Bill had a gigantic turkey sandwich and I had a make-your-own-pasta dish with shrimp.

P9030004.jpg

P9030005.jpg

We headed back to our room to get changed into our bathing suits, but we ran into people leaving the pool – there were storms in the area and so no one was being allowed in the pool. We both ended up falling asleep in the room, and when I woke up I REALLY wanted to still try to go for a swim before our dinner at Cape May Café, so I made Bill get up and head to the pool. :rotfl: At least during our nap we had good company, left by the mousekeeping staff:

P9030037.jpg

The Port Orleans Riverside pool is awesome! There are waterfalls, and a slide, and a pretty private area with lounge chairs and plenty of shade. We spent more time at the pool later in the trip, so I’ll have pictures then, but this day we only were able to have a short swim, because we had an ADR for Cape May Café.

After getting ready for dinner we headed to the Beach Club and were seated at Cape May Café with just about no wait at all. Our server was nice, and the food was really good. I believe I had one of the blue Glowtinis here, but I don’t remember what Bill had. In any case, we each had big platefuls of steamed clams and yummy salads and things, plus some tasty desserts. We would definitely go here again. We used two table service credits here – the bill came to $64.72.

After dinner Bill used the men’s room, and I took advantage of the time to sit outside of the Beach Club, in the gorgeous late afternoon sunshine and call my mom – my parents had always been interested in the Cape May Café clambake dinner, but had never been… so I had to call to gloat a bit. We had planned on going to MGM after dinner – we were on a mission! We knew that Rock and Roller Coaster was going down for rehab the next day, and I wanted Bill to be able to ride it at least once. So we took a very nice water taxi over to MGM, headed in and got our EMH bracelets.

We went right over to Rock and Roller Coaster and waited in a very long line – seems more people than just us knew that this was the last night it would be running for a few weeks. We finally made it on and had a great ride, as usual… Bill loved it. Mission accomplished! We then took a ride on the crazy elevator at Tower of Terror – this is one of my favorite rides for its amazing theming. The wait here wasn’t long at all… after we safely made it off the elevator, we went to the Fantasmic arena so that Bill could see the show. This was the first time I saw Fantasmic without the dinner package, and it was actually kind of nice to see it from somewhere other than the far left hand side of the arena.

The show was fantastic as usual – Bill really liked it. After the show we decided to brave the crazy crowds that gather in the shops and browse a little – to avoid the crazy crowds trying to leave the park, hahaha. Bill decided he wanted to buy a white ceramic bowl with little Mickey heads all over it, so we got in an endless line to buy it. The cashier was VERY nice, and sweet, but she was just way too talkative with each customer, given the huge line of people waiting. Eventually we paid at about 11pm and headed back to Port Orleans; we were tired after our long day.

Back at the resort, we filled the new bowl with candy that we had brought from home and left a sign for the mousekeepers that told them to help themselves.  Then we went to bed – another magical day done!

Up next: Can we drag ourselves to a park after a huge breakfast prepared by Mickey?

Time for Chef Mickey’s breakfast with Tom and Jen! Bill and I got ready and took the bus to Magic Kingdom – we figured we had plenty of time to take the walkway to the Contemporary from there. Along the way we stopped to take a picture next to a topiary mostly because we had no idea what it was supposed to be – any ideas? :confused3

P9040006.jpg

Anyway, we shopped a bit in the Contemporary shops while we waited to meet up with Tom and Jen – for some reason, the shops in the Contemporary are always some of my favorite resort shops – and checked in at Chef Mickey’s in plenty of time. We got our group picture taken in front of the big plate and were quickly seated. We got special “It’s my special day” placemats (remember, it was Tom and Jen’s fifth wedding anniversary trip in addition to our engagement) and later in the breakfast got cupcakes with candles in them delivered to our table. It’s fun to celebrate something special at WDW. :goodvibes

P9040008.jpg

jenandamymickey.jpg

P9040010.jpg

P9040013.jpg

The food was really good – I love this breakfast – and the character interaction was good too. Mickey was adamant that I not show my ring to Minnie – he turned his pockets inside out to show us that they were empty and that he couldn’t afford to get her one! We ended up waiting for a very long time for Minnie to visit our table, and got tired of waiting (we had finished eating and paid our bill long earlier) and so we left without visiting with her. Oh, well… next time! We paid cash for this meal – the breakfast for the two of us came to $40.45 and I paid for the picture package - $31.90. (We split this picture package as well as the one from Cinderella’s Royal Table later in the week with Tom and Jen, and since the CRT one is included, they paid us for half of the Chef Mickey package.)

Before breakfast, Bill and I had developed “A Plan”, which we then sprung on Tom and Jen – instead of going to a park that afternoon, we suggested that we go to the Poly marina and rent the speed boats. Tom was interested, but Jen wasn’t, so even though we tried to convince her otherwise, she decided to stay in the Poly and do some laundry.

We headed over to the marina, and used a coupon that we got from our travel agent to rent the boats. (I’m not sure if the coupon was because we booked a package or if it was a TA perk, but it basically gave us 90 minutes for the price of 60. It ended up costing us $40 even per boat.) Tom rented one boat and Bill and I rented another – we were fitted with life jackets, given short instruction on how to operate the boat, and sent on our way! Right away we noticed that Tom’s boat went MUCH faster with only one adult in it, so if it’s speed you’re after, rent a separate boat for each person. We didn’t mind, though… we really enjoyed it out there, riding around and exploring all of the areas that our Wishes engagement cruise had gone two nights before.

amybillspeedboat.jpg

I took some pictures of Tom so that he and Jen could have them,

tominboat2.jpg

and took plenty of the scenery… at one point Bill looked over and caught me taking pictures of my new ring – must have been a bored moment! :rotfl2:

P9040016.jpg

We went over by the Wedding Pavilion and talked dreamily about getting married there, hahaha. Even though it was definitely hot out there, and the lifejackets got pretty uncomfortable, I had a great time that day and was definitely glad we did that instead of going to a park.

The 90 minutes gave us more than enough time and we headed back a little early, and then went to Tom and Jen’s room to grab our things that we had left there – including Bill’s backscratcher from Ohana. We got to see the amazing concierge lounge (and grab some complimentary cold drinks!) – it would be awesome to stay concierge someday.

We headed back to Port Orleans Riverside to continue our “watery” day with some serious pool time – we had such a good time at the pool the previous day and wanted to spend at least a couple of hours there before heading to the Magic Kingdom for our dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern.

Coming up: Can Bill really convince me to go down the water slide?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter