The Genius Things to Pack

anricat, thanks for the link about the reusable carrier. My one must for cruises has been a cardboard carrier from a fast food place for tea and coffee in the morning but reusable is even better. Collapsible makes it that much sweeter.

A few weeks ago was my first time to use this new reusable/collapsable one and it was so much better than the Starbucks drinks carrier I was taking. First, I liked the carry handle much more - it felt more stable and I could carry 6 drinks (vs. 4). Plus like you mentioned reusable AND packs flat.

They come in a two pack and I didn't need two so I went in on it with someone in my cruise meet group. I brought both with me and they just gave me $10 cash on the first day for the second one.

What are tasting tickets? Sorry, I am new to Disney cruising, and it is like learning a whole new language and set of acronyms! LOL!:flower1:

I always pack half my clothes in one suitcase and half in the other, just in case one gets delayed.

Yes.

And I carry on my essentials. For me that means swimsuits and coverups, my evening clothes and one or two pairs of shoes that go with the dresses, sunscreen, toiletries, and ID/money stuff. Oh and kindle phone and charging stuff.

Basically I carry on the things that make a cruise a cruise for me. Everything else goes in normal luggage.

What are tasting tickets? Sorry, I am new to Disney cruising, and it is like learning a whole new language and set of acronyms! LOL!:flower1:

In the past anything you book such as excursion or meet and greets or tastings you booked in advance would have a ticket in your cabin on embarkation. Excursion ones will likely never go away since that is how the vendor and DCL reconcile the participants. But apparently those for on-board things are disappearing and you need to remember when they are.

I am confused - I thought tips were charged straight to your account?

The tip was referring to room service tips, which are not part of the standard gratuities automatically charged to your onboard account (those cover your cabin host[ess], dining team server, dining team assistant server, and dining team head server). While most room service items are complimentary, it is still standard practice to tip the server bringing them - most people do $1 per item, with a minimum of $5. Realize that some room service items come with a charge (noted on the room service menu), and those items come with an automatic 15% gratuity added to them.

We bring the electric tealight candles so we can put them in the bathroom overnight. That way, since the light switch is outside the bathroom, you don't have to turn the big light on and wake the other person in the bed when you want to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I also bring a little wedding favor pouch (dollar store) and put a tea light in it, then hang it on a metal hook on the roof for my DH who likes a little bit of light at night. I hang one on the handle of the bathroom door, too, so it's not pitch black for anyone taking that middle of the night trip.

Laundry detergent pods, small baggie of laundry powder (if you need to wash undies in the room)
I discovered WashEZE years ago. Found them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/WashEZE-3-La...words=washeze+3-in-1+laundry+detergent+sheets
It's a sheet that contains detergent, softener, anti-static. Follows the load of laundry from washer to dryer. No liquids or powders to spill or deal with. If you need to do a quick sink wash, just tear off a portion of the sheet. Does a great job. Been using these for all 7 cruises.

They used to print tickets telling you where and when your signed up tasting was.

They don’t print off tickets anymore but Palo and the spa will leave you reminders on the fish outside your room. The fish is also where people who do the fish ender thing hang there bag and hangers. It’s at eye level when you stand at your door to your left. I think it maybe a starfish on one side of the ship...fish on the other.

We have the magnetic hooks and strong magnets for keeping tickets and Navigators in easy reach. I attach a shoe organizer to the wall using magnetic hooks to keep all of our small stuff up and out of the way. I found a canvas shower caddy that I hang on one of the bathroom hooks to keep my toiletries off the counter when I'm not using them. We use a collapsible hamper for dirties and I found a collapsible basket with handles incase we need to do laundry.

I recently added towel clips for beach towels to my list and they are really helpful (duh!) on deck when the ship movement tries to send your towel flying away.

I have two things I pack that I love and can't live without. The first is this reusable drink carrier. This way I can easily bring back all kinds of drinks to the room.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754ZNJJH/

The second is a flat suction cup shower caddy. No more balancing things on the edges of the tub. This isn't the exact one I have, but it's similar:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X5ZXM8

Laundry detergent pods, small baggie of laundry powder (if you need to wash undies in the room)
Sun relief gel (put it into the fridge in the room and it will be lovely and cold if/when you need it)
String bags or small crossbody bags to hold phone/wave phone/stuff; my kids do not take theirs off during the day
Multiport USB charger
Water bottles to fill before you go on excursions

I checked with DCL to make sure this was an approved item before I purchased it - Anker 60W 6 Port USB Wall Charger - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P93618...olid=1KZAAS3A6OM0X&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

These were handy for moving around the room / bathroom late at night - Motion Sensing LED Night Lights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1LFS08/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still took our chargers as backup, but they stayed in the ziplock bag.

We have a softsided insulated bag that holds four bottles of water and has some pockets for ponchos, hand sanitizer, sun block. As we were walking down the path to CC, we encountered an CM setting up to sell beverages. We asked and he was kind enough to put a couple scoops of ice into our bag.

All great ideas! *Writing these down now* :bitelip:

We bring the electric tealight candles so we can put them in the bathroom overnight. That way, since the light switch is outside the bathroom, you don't have to turn the big light on and wake the other person in the bed when you want to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I also bring a little wedding favor pouch (dollar store) and put a tea light in it, then hang it on a metal hook on the roof for my DH who likes a little bit of light at night. I hang one on the handle of the bathroom door, too, so it's not pitch black for anyone taking that middle of the night trip.

That bathroom light is the worst. We have a battery operated night light that is magnetic on the back. We just magnet it on the back of the door and switch it on.

I have two things I pack that I love and can't live without. The first is this reusable drink carrier. This way I can easily bring back all kinds of drinks to the room.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754ZNJJH/

The second is a flat suction cup shower caddy. No more balancing things on the edges of the tub. This isn't the exact one I have, but it's similar:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X5ZXM8
I've never seen this shower caddy - it looks helpful! Thanks for sharing!

While most room service items are complimentary, it is still standard practice to tip the server bringing them - most people do $1 per item, with a minimum of $5.
So even when just ordering say a cookie, you tip at least $5? We may have to skip room service.

Binder clips to keep the window curtains closed tighter when you are trying to sleep when there is light outside.

Small flashlight to use in the middle of the night when you have to go to the bathroom or move about in the room in the dark while others are sleeping.

So even when just ordering say a cookie, you tip at least $5? We may have to skip room service.

You can tip as much or as little as you like. I typically do the $1/item, but I don't have a minimum. Or I didn't before I had to stop room service as I am gluten-free and room service is not recommended for people with food allergies.

I am not sure that I would order room service for just a single cookie, but in that case, sure just a $1. If you are going to order, you might as well get enough cookies for everyone and milk to go with them. Most of our orders include an all-hands on deck cheese plate, along with either chicken wings and/or fries, so that is a pretty heavy tray worth $5, even though it is only 2-3 items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!