The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Wow I made it through 50+ pages of this (started past 80) and I think I have a good handle on it. Here is my question, so far as I can tell in reading through, Genie + and the $LL are really only a good option if you are staying on site, or am I missing something? If all on site people get to book at 7am, and off site have to wait till opening of park, things like RoTR will for sure be gone.....or is there some part of this that Im not understanding. Now Im guessing if you go during off peak times, it might still be beneficial. I however am stuck going the worst possible time, Spring Break. I am glad we went for a one day drop in last year, and we were able to ride RoTR via the BG. Oh how I wish my daughters band picked a different time!

Sorry but I will disagree with the bolded statement although, it's VERY confusing!! Friends stayed offsite last week (a busier week) and found G+ beneficial at both DHS and MK.

Both onsite and offsite guests who purchase Genie+ can book their first LL at 7AM.

ILL$ attractions may only be booked by onsite guests at 7AM. Offsite guests may purchase ILL$ at park opening, if there are times available.

Even during a busy week they were able to purchase SDMT at park opening. RotR was sold out but they anticipated that so headed there first and waited in standby.

Last edited:
Wow I made it through 50+ pages of this (started past 80) and I think I have a good handle on it. Here is my question, so far as I can tell in reading through, Genie + and the $LL are really only a good option if you are staying on site, or am I missing something? If all on site people get to book at 7am, and off site have to wait till opening of park, things like RoTR will for sure be gone.....or is there some part of this that Im not understanding. Now Im guessing if you go during off peak times, it might still be beneficial. I however am stuck going the worst possible time, Spring Break. I am glad we went for a one day drop in last year, and we were able to ride RoTR via the BG. Oh how I wish my daughters band picked a different time!
Sorry but I will disagree with the bolded statement although, it's VERY confusing!! Friends stayed offsite last week (a busier week) and found G+ beneficial at both DHS and MK.

Both onsite and offsite guests who purchase Genie+ can book their first LL at 7AM.

ILL$ attractions may only be booked by onsite guests at 7AM. Offsite guests may purchase ILL$ at park opening, if there are times available.

Even during a busy week they were able to purchase SDMT at park opening. RotR was sold out but they anticipated that so headed there first and waiting in standby.
As someone that stayed offsite over Christmas, we did fairly well with Genie+ LL's. As Scrapping stated, everyone can book those at 7am, which is great since that has an up front cost.

For the ILL$ attractions, you're not out money if you can't book them, but it certainly is nice if you can. With longer hours in most parks, I was successful in getting the ILL$ in every park (over Christmas, each park only had 1 and we did not park hop) but Hollywood Studios, RotR is just impossible and I knew going in that I probably wouldn't go to Galaxy's Edge this trip. We had been to WDW in January 21 and Disneyland in August 21, so between the 2 places, I had gone 3 times.

Being offsite, there's mostly luck with getting some of the ILL$ and not much strategy. With FoP, it initially ran out right before park opening, but an hour later, they replenished, allowing me to grab one. With 7dmt and Remy, there were plenty of time slots available. 7dmt had them as early as 7pm and Remy's 5 or 6pm. I do think longer hours and earlier opening helped, especially with 7dmt, but there's still opportunity for offsite to get the ILL$.

Other than the ILL$ rides, the new system does put more guests on a level field than the old Fastpass+ system though, which is a big plus for offsite guests.

Hopefully Disney implements their Christmas strategy during other busy times, including spring break. Enjoy your trip!

For the ILL$ attractions, you're not out money if you can't book them, but it certainly is nice if you can. With longer hours in most parks, I was successful in getting the ILL$ in every park (over Christmas, each park only had 1 and we did not park hop) but Hollywood Studios, RotR is just impossible and I knew going in that I probably wouldn't go to Galaxy's Edge this trip. We had been to WDW in January 21 and Disneyland in August 21, so between the 2 places, I had gone 3 times.

I'm curious how long you waited after paying for ILLs? Like how long was the average wait time for an ILL?

I'm curious how long you waited after paying for ILLs? Like how long was the average wait time for an ILL?
Rise of the Resistance and Remy apparently can be the longest just due to how much down time there is for these attractions, but 30 mins is the max I heard with the rest being closer to like 15 mins

Remys was very quick, less than 5 minutes. 7dmt would have been less than 10, but it broke down as I was entering the ride vehicle. They kicked us out and we waited 15 more minutes. FoP was probably 10-15 minutes. I can’t remember exactly and I got lucky as they were looking for a single rider to fill up a group. Probably would have been another 5-10 minutes.

Ok so I've read through a number of pages and will keep reading more, but admittedly, I am SO confused by Genie +. I'm mostly bummed to learn that if staying offsite (which we are), you cannot book an ILL until park open. This means ROTR is guaranteed to be gone for us. I understand there is stand-by but that still stinks. Anywho, I do have a few questions: For reference, we are only going for one day on 1/27 at Hollywood Studios.

1) I am planning for 5 people (4 who haven't been in years). I frequent Disney yearly but this will be my first time using Genie+. My first question is: will it be easiest if I add all the members of my group to my Disney experience and control everything from there? Or should the members each buy their own genie+ and we just try and coordinate if we want to ride together?
2) If ROTR, MMRR, RnRC and TOT are priorities, which should we rope drop? I understand that Rise is not part of the genie+ stuff, so I'm wondering since buying the ILL is probably out, should we rope drop that even with EE people before us? Or do we rope drop something else so as not to lose tons of time waiting in line and try to catch that one at another down time? I honestly don't think my group will make it all day, so the nighttime option probably won't work.
3) Am I understand correctly that after you make a LL reservation, you can't make a new one until either you tap into it OR the 2 hours pass? Does this system hinder getting to ride everything, or does it make it better since the lines are typically shorter?
4) With this new system, is it actually better to NOT rope drop, arrive around 10-11 and try and stack rides for the end of the day? I've seen a lot say they are successful with an option like this, but if you have a group not willing to stay all day, is it even worth it?

I think that's it for now, but dang, do I miss the old fastness! Thanks for the help!

our trip is next month, i purchased genie +. PLEASE HELP... All this Genie+ LL, ILL info has got my head going in circles.

In order to increase my chances, How do I need to go about booking/purchasing ILL for ratatouille?

Do I need to have a ressie for EPCOT before it'll let me book/purchase it?

Should I skip trying to score it through Genie+ LL or go straight to ILL and pay for it? Like, what are the chances of it being sold out if I try genie+ LL first?

In order to book a LLIA$ for Remy, you need to have a park pass reservation booked for the park you are starting at AND have parkhoppers for everyone (so MK park reservation and park hoppers)

OR

Epcot park pass reservation

Genie+ rides everyone can book at 7 am. Remy LLIA$ can be purchased by on-site guests at 7 am (offsite is at park opening).

Everyone needs to have the park pass reservation, same ticket (hoppers) and be linked on MDE friends/family list. I would have one account; multiple people can log in to the same account (one on wifi, one without, difference devices etc).

Thank you for your responses that did help.

So, for those who have been during a very busy time, what is a typical stand by time for RoTR? Im sure being off site means the line will be crazy, but Im curious what we would be looking at for a wait? Would you recommend not doing that first thing when park opens (Spring Break) and just hope to luck out in the last part of the day? As we are not hopping and staying till close, maybe that would be my best option?

Thank you for your responses that did help.

So, for those who have been during a very busy time, what is a typical stand by time for RoTR? Im sure being off site means the line will be crazy, but Im curious what we would be looking at for a wait? Would you recommend not doing that first thing when park opens (Spring Break) and just hope to luck out in the last part of the day? As we are not hopping and staying till close, maybe that would be my best option?

Touring plans posts wait times, this may help plan which genie+ ride to book:

https://touringplans.com/hollywood-...-of-the-resistance/wait-times/date/2021-12-31

I wonder if a purchased ILL$ for a ride that is down could be used at another park for another ILL$. Has anyone asked about this? I know this would only work if a person was park hopping, but it’s an interesting thought.
Guest services (blue umbrella) can change a pass. We were give an anytime pass which was valid at any park over 2 days for a FOP pass. It does depend on the CM.

Hi everyone! Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but through multiple searches and perusing this thread, I haven't see this addressed specifically yet. Does anyone know of age-based restrictions within MDE that wouldn't allow a teenager to purchase G+ or ILL$ on their own? I seem to recall that if you are under 18, MDE won't let you make purchases in the app (other than paying for Mobile Order with a GC) so I am thinking this would apply to G+ and ILL$ purchases too. I know there are solutions to this (if it IS true) such as having an adult with a valid park pass/ticket who is a "Friend" in MDE make a purchase and select the teen as the person the G+ or ILL$ purchase is being made for. Just wanting to see if this is going to be a necessity for an upcoming school trip a teen will be going on. Thanks for everyone's help in advance!

So - I'm going in a couple of weeks and I'm a single parent with two kids. I know that I can manage G+/ILLS for all 3 of us from my account but I'm concerned that only using my account will be too slow. Do I need to setup an account for my oldest and have them help me (thinking about things that go quickly like ROTR, SDD, FOP, 7DMT)?

So - I'm going in a couple of weeks and I'm a single parent with two kids. I know that I can manage G+/ILLS for all 3 of us from my account but I'm concerned that only using my account will be too slow. Do I need to setup an account for my oldest and have them help me (thinking about things that go quickly like ROTR, SDD, FOP, 7DMT)?
You can sign yourself into multiple devices so that your kids can help you. That's my plan when we go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter