The Dream Is So Nice, We Did It Twice!

What a crazy meal experience!

All that plating and work... no wonder they only serve 70 tables! That's insane. As a former server, I don't think I'd like to work there and not have a turn-over!

One story I forgot to mention then would definitely make you hate that job. Not only did they give us totally new plates and silverware for each course, when you got up to go to the bathroom, you got a new napkin. Now, this wasn't a simple exchange. The waiter would swoop in holding a knife and spoon like chopsticks, pick up the offensive dirty napkin, and leave a nicely folded clean napkin. Then, my friend watched as they FOLDED the dirty napkin and put it into a dirty napkin basket. They folded a dirty napkin. :rotfl: It was so fancy, even the dirty laundry is all gussied up.

Had not really even considered going to Remy...after reading and seeing your pictures...I am rethinking this!!

Hi Shay,
I've been perusing the cruise boards for TR's and yours is the first I'm reading.:) DH, DD, and I will be going on the Dream in March 2012. I cannot wait!

Your report has made me very hungry!:rotfl: I truly appreciate being able to tag along because it's so nice to get insight on this cruise. I'm very nervous about it because I'm trying to keep it a surprise for DH's 40th birthday.:rolleyes1 Wish me luck.

I have to say I am glad we didn't try Remys. I'm sure the food was good, but it really didn't look appealing to my tastes. And the charge! They should give you a gold box to take your DH's dessert in back to the room. LOL! I can't beleive they wouldn't let you box it up.

Hi Shay,
I've been perusing the cruise boards for TR's and yours is the first I'm reading.:) DH, DD, and I will be going on the Dream in March 2012. I cannot wait!

Your report has made me very hungry!:rotfl: I truly appreciate being able to tag along because it's so nice to get insight on this cruise. I'm very nervous about it because I'm trying to keep it a surprise for DH's 40th birthday.:rolleyes1 Wish me luck.

Good luck keeping the surprise! My 40th is coming up later this year and I'm really hoping my DH surprises me with another cruise on the Dream to celebrate.

I have to say I am glad we didn't try Remys. I'm sure the food was good, but it really didn't look appealing to my tastes. And the charge! They should give you a gold box to take your DH's dessert in back to the room. LOL! I can't beleive they wouldn't let you box it up.

I don't think Remy's is for everyone. The courses are all small and quite foo-foo. I was surprised my DH loved it. But if someone is an adventurous eater, I highly recommend the splurge. We did leave there full.

Even though the cruise was just a few weeks ago, I keep forgetting some of the parts I didn't photograph (or drank too much during.)

I forgot to mention during the day there were some tastings we wanted to check out. First, we tried to get into a champagne tasting at Pink but it was full. So we decided to check out the Mixology class in Skyline. Good choice! James the English bartender taught us how to make a variety of drinks. We started with a vodka martini, moved to a margarita on the rocks, then we muddled and mixed a mojito, went diving for Sunken Treasure, and ended with a bang - a B52 shot. :drinking1

If you can get into this tasting, I highly recommend it. But just be warned you may not remember enough of it to tell afterward.

Joining in....great TR so far! My DH, DS (3) & I are going on the Dream on May 5th. It will be our very first Disney cruise. DH & I have only been on one other cruise & didn't like it. The only way I could get him to try a Disney cruise was to book the shortest amount of nights & get him a balcony. I'm hoping we're going to love it & want to do more Disney cruises. Thanks for sharing your trip with all of us here! :goodvibes

Joining in....great TR so far! My DH, DS (3) & I are going on the Dream on May 5th. It will be our very first Disney cruise. DH & I have only been on one other cruise & didn't like it. The only way I could get him to try a Disney cruise was to book the shortest amount of nights & get him a balcony. I'm hoping we're going to love it & want to do more Disney cruises. Thanks for sharing your trip with all of us here! :goodvibes

Glad you are joining us! I hope I at least get to the start of our 3 day by the time you leave. It was quite a bit different than the 4 day.

The mixology class/tasting was something they were testing out last year (we did it on the eastbound transatlantic) and it was a huge hit! Friends who were at the first one alerted us to book the next one later in the cruise. Glad to see they are doing it on the Dream! :thumbsup2

It was great fun to go behind the bar too! Did they do that on the Dream?

Here's a photo from the one on the Magic...giving our martinis a little shake.

38087_1478999527536_1010202718_1385926_5667891_n.jpg

The mixology class/tasting was something they were testing out last year (we did it on the eastbound transatlantic) and it was a huge hit! Friends who were at the first one alerted us to book the next one later in the cruise. Glad to see they are doing it on the Dream! :thumbsup2

It was great fun to go behind the bar too! Did they do that on the Dream?

Here's a photo from the one on the Magic...giving our martinis a little shake.

38087_1478999527536_1010202718_1385926_5667891_n.jpg

He did choose people for a few of the drinks to go behind the bar. I was not chosen but I was fine with that. I did get high marks on my layering of the B52. :thumbsup2 I will have to remember to bring my camera with me to the tastings, because I'm sure the pictures would only get more and more entertaining as the class goes on. :lmao:

He did choose people for a few of the drinks to go behind the bar. I was not chosen but I was fine with that. I did get high marks on my layering of the B52. :thumbsup2 I will have to remember to bring my camera with me to the tastings, because I'm sure the pictures would only get more and more entertaining as the class goes on. :lmao:

Very true.:lmao: When ours was over we took any of our (5 in our group) unfiinished 'tastes' over to a table and spent another very comfortable hour enjoying the remnants!

Great TR! I can't wait to go on the Dream or Fantasy. We have a cruise booked for May 2012.

Question about Remy's...Would someone who is not a very adventurous eater (like me) like the experience? I'm guessing ala cart would be the way to go. Or should we stick with Palo--I love it there!

Great TR! I can't wait to go on the Dream or Fantasy. We have a cruise booked for May 2012.

Question about Remy's...Would someone who is not a very adventurous eater (like me) like the experience? I'm guessing ala cart would be the way to go. Or should we stick with Palo--I love it there!

If none of what I showed looked good to you, I'd stick with Palo's. A lot of the courses in the tasting menus were on the a la carte also. I'm not sure there'd be enough to eat if you only picked the few items you were sure you'd like and you definitely wouldn't get your money's worth.

I will be posting pictures from our Palo's dinner on the 3 night portion of the back to back.

That is if the computer would cooperate with me and let me finish posting without destroying my whole post. I've tried to post my pirate day activities twice now.

Ok, I already wrote this whole post then lost it to the internet gremlins. But I'll try again.

Day 3 – Castaway Cay
My family decided to sleep in, but I for some reason got up early. I decided to hunt out some coffee so I went to the Vista Café on Deck 5. I was able to buy a nice iced Mocha and grab some of the free pastries to take back to the family for breakfast. As I was leaving, I heard the sound of royal trumpets. I looked and coming out of the gallery were Cinderella, Snow White, and Aurora. Across the way on the balcony near the elevators, I saw Tiana, Ariel, and Belle. The 6 princesses made their way down to the lobby below to a crowd of anxious little girls. I knew I couldn’t get my DD5 up in time for the meet and greet, but I knew now to look for this on the Navigator for the next time.
When I got back to the room, everyone was getting up and ready. We called our friends to see if they wanted to head out to the island with us. As we got off the ship, we ran right into Donald Duck.
IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

We grabbed the tram and headed towards the new area of Castaway Cay, Pelican Point. When we had gone in August, we found a great spot near the Pelican Plunge with a beautiful view of the ship and two hammocks. But as we got closer, we realized the beach was so packed we should just grab what we could. We managed to find 2 small chairs to sit in and hold the stuff for 11 people. I really wish Disney would put lockers in so that people didn’t have to waste a seat for their stuff.
IMG_1504.jpg

We did manage to find a little bit of space for the kids to play.
IMG_1503.jpg

But my DH, being the nice guy he is, told the rest of us to head to Serenity Bay and he would stay with the kids. You didn’t have to tell us twice. Serenity Bay lived up to its name the minute you arrived. There were no crowds at all.
IMG_1574.jpg

My friend and her DH grabbed some hammocks while my other friend and I headed toward the sand bar. Our third friend came out to join us for the trek. It was a little bit of a walk then a swim to get there, but it was well worth it. We sat in the sand and chatted for a bit until we started to get hungry. Then we went to eat at the Serenity Bay BBQ place. It’s a bit smokier and smaller than Cookies, but it had steak! Yummy! After I ate, I decided to head back to try to swap places with my DH so he could get some steak too. But by the time I found him, he was already at Cookies II with all of the kids. What a guy! Once lunch was over, the kids really wanted to head back to get on the Aquaduck. I had yet to ride it, but they didn’t mind the 30 – 45 minute waits. They were hoping there’d be much less of a wait if we went back early. But my DD5 wanted to spend more time in the splash area on the island. The rest of our group had found us by then, so they headed back to the ship while I went to the splash area with the little one. She liked it, but I think the one on the ship is much better so I tried to steer her to going back. Besides, older kids kept hogging the water areas by sitting on them.
IMG_1587.jpg

Back on the ship, she took a quick trip to the Nemo splash zone with my friends DD8. I like this area because there is so much more to do than the splash area on the Wonder, it is totally shaded, and enclosed for safety. My only complaint is it wraps around the ship so if the child goes to the other side, you can’t watch them. I wasn’t worried about it with her, but if I had a smaller child I’d really have to follow them.
We finally went back to the room to get pirated up for dinner. Tonight we were eating at the Royal Palace. This place was definitely too posh for a bunch of pirates, but we still had a good time. DD11 must have looked like a pirate princess because the head waiter cut up her steak and fed some of it to her.
IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

Here’s DD and her crew.
IMG_1507.jpg

DD5 and her pirate bud, Boo.
IMG_1516.jpg

Now pirate night on the Dream worked differently than on the other Disney ships. The show was in between the two dinners and the fireworks were after the late dinner, rather than back to back. We were able to get a spot a deck above and directly to the left of the stage. Not the best view, but not horrible.
IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

DD5 did get a little scared of the bad pirates but I think it’s less scary for kids than the show on the Magic and Wonder. We did notice that during the show the line for the Aquaduck was short, so that would be a great time to go if you don’t want to see the show.
Once the pirate show was over, we headed to the theater to check out the ventriloquist, Michael Harrison. He was on America’s Got Talent and the whole family loved him. Though DD5 was truly scared when he “turned” a kid into a puppet. She wanted to know how he’d turn the kid back. I had to explain it was just a joke and he also was not going to really spring the kids belly button out into the audience. I guess she’s going through a literal phase.
After the show, we headed upstairs to find a spot to watch the fireworks. I had seen a family area upstairs from the adult pool, so I thought we could check it out. Most of those chairs were full, but we went to the front of the ship and found a hidden gem. There were nice chairs and other little nooks that would be perfect for reading and relaxing. We found some seats next to another family and the kids played until the fireworks show. I did not bring my camera, but I don’t think it’d truly capture the moment. Watching fireworks over the boat is really something you have to see.
It had been a long day, so we headed back to the room, ready for a fun day at sea the next day. And Palo’s brunch. Oh yeah, lots of food pictures next!
IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

Looks like you had an awesome day Shay! Thanks for the tip on the Aquaduck, we'll definitely have to try and get on it during the show. Do you know if it has posted hours? Or is it open all the time?

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter