The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Not sure this is a good idea for some people.....
I think time will tell. I'm sure pricing will be ridiculous. Yet to see how the speeds are. My dad had the stationary service for about 6 months before they finally got something land based that was considerably faster. He was early on, before they had as many satellites up.

j

People would call all day and into the evening! "Sound of fireworks in the 2900 block of Monroe".
Um, it's 4th of July HQ.... 10-4.
So we would take our time getting there. Ok, we let people blow off everything they had in 24 hours, made our life easier and we could do real police work. If you chase the fireworks around all night you have to put up with them popping off and people calling here and there for the next 3 months. Same goes for New Years.

Last edited:
Well I am back home in Alabama. I had to cut my summer adventure short because DW's father passed away this past Sunday afternoon (92yo) and the funeral is this week. His health had been declining but the end was not expected this soon. He left us while sleeping peacefully.

Please keep her family in your prayers.

ED
Rough sledding, Ed. Glad your travels home were safe and in time to be with everyone.

It is time to catch you all up. it has been a whirlwind around here. My plan is to do this over a couple of days so i can make it more interesting and coherent. Plus some of you may enjoy this journey. At the end of each post I will do a short TL;DR in case you don't care about all the details.

Timeline helps a bit here so I am going to back track a few days. On June 21, I decided I wanted to get away. I had done a lot of adulting and I was over it. My running was not going great and I was not so thrilled to run the Peachtree Road Race on July 4 when it is miserable. I did that on June 12 and I was over it. We decided the best weekend to go was July 1 Friday to July 4 on Monday. This also meant only one day of vacation was needed for this trip. I knew at that point I would be checking out Whisky on the weekend before being June 25. My hope was the rescue would keep her till we got back on July 4 since it was only a week.

All plans sort of fail. The rescue group had a large influx of dogs and really wanted us to take Whisky if we wanted her. They did offer to keep her for July 1 to July 4 since there was no way for me to secure boarding that quickly. Of course I wanted her so we took her. I then took her to Mom and Paul's on Sunday June 26. I said we were going out of town and that the rescue can keep her unless you want to keep her. The big issue is she is young and at that point we only had her 6 days so we had no idea how she would be. I was noticing some chewing penchants recently.

Thursday June 30, we took Whisky to Mom's. We spent the night there to try to calm Whisky. She was great while she was there. As new parents, Bert and I were worried about leaving her. Would she chew, would she pee in the house, would she knock mom over accidently? We slept terribly that night so the hope of getting out early was dashed. We got Whisky all done for the morning and left Mom's house about 8:30. The plan was to make it by 3:30 pm.

Well traffic was horrible and then we had rain. We finally arrived at 4:45 to a location on Disney Property. We did not go to any parks. They plan was to eat, drink, and no adulting.

Next post with where we went to on Friday.

TL;DR: Got Whisky on June 25, we had a weekend get away on July 1 to July 4. That meant new puppy needed a place to stay and she stayed at Chateau Hackert (Mom and Paul).

It is time to catch you all up. it has been a whirlwind around here. My plan is to do this over a couple of days so i can make it more interesting and coherent. Plus some of you may enjoy this journey. At the end of each post I will do a short TL;DR in case you don't care about all the details.

Timeline helps a bit here so I am going to back track a few days. On June 21, I decided I wanted to get away. I had done a lot of adulting and I was over it. My running was not going great and I was not so thrilled to run the Peachtree Road Race on July 4 when it is miserable. I did that on June 12 and I was over it. We decided the best weekend to go was July 1 Friday to July 4 on Monday. This also meant only one day of vacation was needed for this trip. I knew at that point I would be checking out Whisky on the weekend before being June 25. My hope was the rescue would keep her till we got back on July 4 since it was only a week.

All plans sort of fail. The rescue group had a large influx of dogs and really wanted us to take Whisky if we wanted her. They did offer to keep her for July 1 to July 4 since there was no way for me to secure boarding that quickly. Of course I wanted her so we took her. I then took her to Mom and Paul's on Sunday June 26. I said we were going out of town and that the rescue can keep her unless you want to keep her. The big issue is she is young and at that point we only had her 6 days so we had no idea how she would be. I was noticing some chewing penchants recently.

Thursday June 30, we took Whisky to Mom's. We spent the night there to try to calm Whisky. She was great while she was there. As new parents, Bert and I were worried about leaving her. Would she chew, would she pee in the house, would she knock mom over accidently? We slept terribly that night so the hope of getting out early was dashed. We got Whisky all done for the morning and left Mom's house about 8:30. The plan was to make it by 3:30 pm.

Well traffic was horrible and then we had rain. We finally arrived at 4:45 to a location on Disney Property. We did not go to any parks. They plan was to eat, drink, and no adulting.

Next post with where we went to on Friday.

TL;DR: Got Whisky on June 25, we had a weekend get away on July 1 to July 4. That meant new puppy needed a place to stay and she stayed at Chateau Hackert (Mom and Paul).
FB_IMG_1600455331478_117311148310091.jpg

Continuing the saga. We have dinner reservations on Friday at 5:30 pm at Knife and Spoon. This restaurant is at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando. It just received one Michelin star with this past rating cycle. We wanted to go. We were hoping to get our hotel well before we did to take a shower. We pulled up to the Four Season Resort in Golden Oak at 4:45 pm. No time for a shower. We got checked in and up to the room to clean up quick and catch an uber to dinner (no driving for us). I did call the restaurant and told them we were running late. They held our table.

Dinner was fabulous. We started with a cocktail. I had a riff on a Paloma and Bert had i think a riff on a Manhattan.

Next we started with the Burrata Salad for a cold app. I am on a burrata kick and i thought it was very good, however I had burrata another night and it might have been better. Next for a hot app, we had a diver scallop with truffles. It was very good, however the main course was the star of the show. We had mushroom and kimchi creamed spinach as sides. Bothe were excellent. The kimchi spinach was a highlight. It had a kick but not a major one and gave boring creamed spinach some good flavor. For our entre we shared the 32oz bone in NY strip steak that was dry aged 90 days. I swear it did not taste like beef. It was earthy and buttery. It was heavy and filling. Definitely not something i could eat every day but for a special occasion it was amazing. We had the leftovers on Monday night after driving back.

After dinner we took and uber back to the hotel and went to the lobby bar for one more drink. I finally had the courage to text my brother and find out how Whisky did for the day. All was good so far and he even commented on how well she walked on the leash. Yes we started training her immediately. It was off to bed after that. I think I was asleep by 9:30. I was exhausted.

More fun stuff and some disney characters next.

TL;DR: We went to the Four Seasons. It is an amazing hotel. Then had dinner at Knife and Spoon in Orlando. They recently got One Michelin Star rating.5B7203E3-5F6F-4717-B172-D776711D381F.jpeg

935E9A13-2E70-4BD8-9594-72F6E88F815A.jpeg

8603428F-B661-42F8-AA8C-8AFF2CB2B304.jpeg

889D783A-3CF6-4623-B81D-E76E4BF92EAC.jpeg

7B2705F1-8F65-451D-A357-57CFE0CA5555.jpeg

@garneska looking forward to more of your saga. So glad you could take a break to breath and recharge.

Update on my saga. I have not been up to doing a recap, by last weeks end I felt better but still drained energy wise. I took another test on Sunday and still positive. So our low key 4th plans where good as I used it to relax and recover. Its now Wednesday, I am feeing a little better and still coughing/clearing out. Tomorrow I plan to test again and talk to the doc if still positive as he requested. Melissa tested negative Sunday and sounds clearly over it. Lauren started to feel icky Monday and tested positive. She claims it is as bad as that last cold she had in Feb 2020. Though I think this one has rocked her less.

I am getting my energy back so that is a good thing. I need to take care of the lawn soon, and then I hope this weekend start preparing the RV for our trip to central PA next week.

Back at it. Been a few busy days at work. I left off going to sleep on Friday night about 9:30. The bed was awesome and the pillows were too. I will post pics of the room at the end from the phone. I slept in, I was up at 7 am. I played on the Ipad and then at 8:30 decided it was time to exercise so that I could get a shower before breakfast. Yes the same shower i wanted on Friday, I still had not taken one.

The gym was very nice. Lots of cardio equipment and weights including free weights. It was not too crowded either. I was not super focused on running so I got my lifting done and did 45 minutes on the treadmill. I prefer to run outside but it was hot. Bert did manage to come down and get an elliptical in. Finally it was time for my shower. It was the most disappointing thing about the room. The water pressure was not great, but the bathroom products were nice.

After showers it was time for breakfast. They had a character breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel. I got to see Minnie, Mickey and Goofy. The food was pretty good too. They did not have biscuits and gravy, disappointed there, but the food I ate was very tasty. Pics of characters will be added below as well.

After breakfast we walked around a bit to check everything out. Then we went to the pool. The lazy river was my favorite. I am not really a pool person but floating in the river was great. We also checked out the water slides which were a lot of fun. Unfortunately it started to rain and then pour on us. We were only at the pool for 2 hours before we headed inside.

TL;DR: Saturday we went to the gym, then had a character breakfast and went to the pool. Pics of all the good stuff.

To come dinner on Saturday.

7FED76E5-27C0-4237-8B05-4B881A260E4C.jpeg

205BB5E8-0561-461B-B2C0-8E576304BCD5.jpeg

D7509B5B-1DE5-4944-BB60-EC6A48C44CDD.jpeg

DBD00B7C-661A-4DFB-A173-9B01CA1376C3.jpeg

66C79692-663B-4AAD-8AF0-8212FBA07159.jpeg

0354604F-16AC-4F63-911C-7D604D17C8B8.jpeg

A3DF8EF1-FCCF-4E2F-A270-1C18E56DA46F.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter