The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

@garneska

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

It is so hard emotionally dealing with ailing and elderly parents. I've been there and done that with both of mine, God rest their souls.

Remember to be kind to yourself and that a little self-indulgence never hurts.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. Dad had 1.6 liters of fluid drained today. I checked his chart and apparently they need to drain the other side as well. Dad said to do it tomorrow. The Dr wants to keep him in ICU another night. I know they won't be discharging from ICU so I am expecting him to be in the hospital till at least Friday. I spoke with another person (not the case worker) but we were talking options for discharge. We decided that having physical therapy come in to evaluate if he is a rehab candidate. If he is then he would go rehab before coming home. If he is not then we have no choice but to go nursing home. Physical therapy will not come as long as he is in ICU, so i have a little time. He is feeling better though but the issue is can he get stronger.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. Dad had 1.6 liters of fluid drained today. I checked his chart and apparently they need to drain the other side as well. Dad said to do it tomorrow. The Dr wants to keep him in ICU another night. I know they won't be discharging from ICU so I am expecting him to be in the hospital till at least Friday. I spoke with another person (not the case worker) but we were talking options for discharge. We decided that having physical therapy come in to evaluate if he is a rehab candidate. If he is then he would go rehab before coming home. If he is not then we have no choice but to go nursing home. Physical therapy will not come as long as he is in ICU, so i have a little time. He is feeling better though but the issue is can he get stronger.
We will keep you, Bert and your father in our prayers.

Dad is out of ICU. Chest X-ray tomorrow to see about left side thora. He needs a barium swallow test done once they wean him off more oxygen. He also needs to see PT. He wants to go home and is exc about home, but that scares the crap out of me. He has to be able to get up off the toilet. his mindis also messed up again. It’s like the hospital just kicks his mind into delirium. Unfortunately I think that is normal for someone his age, but hard for family to handle. I am hoping when he gets discharged it is to rehab to give us a smidge to get ready. after rehab, once home he has to have home health coming. Glad he is doing better but ugh still keeping my stress up.

The hospital no doubt is a big change to his normal routine. As Mike has suggested, keep showing dad your love and understanding. When you feel overwhelmed, turn to the serenity prayer.

Praying your Dad can get the PT & get stronger. I know our precious Jesus has your Dad in his loving arms helping him get well. Prayer & support from friends helped me keep focused when Arnold was so bad & you have it with us!

Teresa and I send our prayers to your dad. My dad spent 12 days in a hospital and it was extremely hard on him. I stayed with him full time during these days and it was very difficult. When he was discharged, things did get better, much better but with time. Much patience and understanding from family members was needed.

Steve and Teresa

Made a little trip up to Chicago for a Cubs/Cards game with @tigger92662 and his lovely wife.

View attachment 674056

j

Surprise! Somebody took Jim and Joe's pic while they were seated in the stands.

cut.PNG

Don't ask me who's who, though. :sad2:

Ed

A very brief dad update. He did not get out of ICU on Thursday. Friday morning he had an emergent bedside thora of the same right side. Took an additional 1.5L out two days after the first. Saturday he was very bad. Sunday he came out of it. I saw him Saturday and Sunday. I am not even going to talk about how bad Saturday was. Sunday, mom and I had a nice visit and just before we left, he was transferred to hospital medicine. We are planning for a chest tube on Tuesday assuming his blood work is ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter