The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

I am still out here, busy, but posting some on the DIS Camping Board.

I had a day off and went on a 17-mile hike yesterday (8.5 miles out mostly uphill and 8.5 miles back mostly downhill along the same route). Views were beautiful - still some snow along our route in the shady sections of the trail.

Hike 051822.png

Starting altitude was 8,050 ft above sea level and max along the walk was approx 10,400 with 10,240 at the turnaround point. Of the 8.5 miles each way, about 7.0 was uphill/downhill and 1.5 was level(ish). The high temp on the hike was 78F and it was cool at the start - so perfect for a walk in the woods like this.

Did work up quite an appetite, though, despite carrying lunch, snacks, and 4L of h2o. I KILLED the cheeseburger I ate for dinner last night.

Carry on!

Bama Ed

So we did a thing today. We still have to wait some time and decide but I think we will have a new family member in the next 4 weeks. I would post pictures of the possibilities but I did not get any going the right direction. We are still a bit undecided but really think one of the two will be the new family member.

So we did a thing today. We still have to wait some time and decide but I think we will have a new family member in the next 4 weeks. I would post pictures of the possibilities but I did not get any going the right direction. We are still a bit undecided but really think one of the two will be the new family member.

You definitely have my curiosity piqued! Best wishes for you and that new family member!

Kris i told you when the time came the one you are supposed to have will choose you. When we went to see what was available, things didn't go that way. The Family before us was interacting with Katie in a way Lucille didn't care for. When she gave THE WOOKIE kisses at first meeting, sealed that deal. Sky refused to come out of her room for the girl that worked there but came right to me. Her markings were/are near identical to my Rookie whom I grew up with. Case closed

Last edited:

I was showing the pics to my folks tonight. I was using dog pics to make dad feel better. Everyone is very excited. @friendofeeyore I am sure you are excited to meet the new furbaby.

Dad is not doing well. He gets weaker not stronger. He sees primary care dr this Tuesday and pulmonary dr next Tuesday. We are suspecting that his oxygen is low and anticipate it is from fluid build up. he already has a chest X-ray scheduled for next week. I will be more shocked if they find nothing rather than book him for another thoracentesis. My FIL comes out this Thursday. We brought him out to spend time with my dad. we will be there Friday and Sunday, hoping that helps some. Also cute dog pics help.

@garneska It can't be easy dealing with an ailing parent. I hope your plans help bring everyone some comfort and warmth. Looking forward to the furkids introduction. I hope in all this you can find a way to make some time and recharge yourself.

Just made a reservation during Thanksgiving week for Raglan Road via the free OpenTable website. OT allows six months out reservations which beats 60, 60+10, and whatever-else-ya-got for reservation windows via the Disney website.

Add a future HDDR reservation early in the week and a Liberty Tree Tavern turkey and dressing meal later and those will be the big sit down meals for our trip.

ED

So earlier today we got a line of storms come thru, and a tornado warning was issued. A little rotation of the clouds but nothing else. We don't see to many warnings in these um parts. Now when in Indiana, well it was a regular occurance there. Rain has stopped for the short term. More predicted for tonight. Quiet night at home, maybe spend it watching Kenobi on Disney plus. Stay safe out there. @bama_ed. keep doing that secret squirrel stuff.

Stay safe out there. @bama_ed. keep doing that secret squirrel stuff.

giphy.gif

Thought it was time to post some updates. Hitting the spoiler at the top here in case you are not interested in all the details.

TL;DR: Have to wait till mid june to see the dogs again. Pretty sure one will be mine. Dad is really bad. So much so that I can't leave mom and we won't be going to PA in June :(

Let's start with the good news. The two dogs we looked at (we will only be adopting one) are almost potty trained and recovering from their spay. The one I want had a complicated spay and it got infected. When we met her while she absolutely wanted pets and was sweet, she also only wanted to lay in bed. it was hard to determine her personality. The bummer part is that the rescue folks are on holiday as of today and will not be back till June 19. I probably won't get to see them again till then. I am hoping the potty training is complete and everyone is pretty happy. I won't have more info till mid June, which will be better if you read any farther.

For the next part of good news. My FIL came to visit on thrusday. We specifically flew him down to spend time with my dad. I was hoping a change of people would make dad feel better. Plus i put FIL to work and he did some pastoral duties. It definitely helped dad's mindset. We took FIL out for a nice meal on Thursday and then Friday picked up BBQ and went to Mom and Dad's. Dad looked pretty good after that visit and i think FIL calmed some of his fears.

Saturday we went to the Jazz Festival in the park and then we got GREAT seats for the Atlanta United Soccer game. The seats were great but Atlanta played terrible and lost. It was pathetic.

Now for the bad. Went back to Mom's on Sunday. Dad was NOT good. Could barely realize we were there. He was struggling to breath and did not want to eat dinner. He spent Sat and Sun on oxygen all day. After dinner he requested some spiritual counseling and we all sat near him in his favorite chair. We all thought he was going to die and we were going to let it happen. Then about 2 hours later, after a trip to pee and then he decided he needed some food (pudding and cheesecake) he felt a little better. We stayed till he went to bed. I was not sure if he would be able make it to bed. He got himself ready and went to bed.

Bert and I will stop by after dropping FIL off at the airport today. We have packed in case we need to stay but hoping to go home. Home health is coming for his evaluation on Tuesday. I plan to be back at the house for that. He has a chest xray and visit with the pulmonologist on Thursday.

Unfortunately what this all means is we will not be going any where in June. I have to make sure dad is comfortable and mom is ok. I am not sure how long this will last. From previous experience with MIL, I know this could be a long road, but i am hoping not.

@garneska What a roller coaster! You two must ben drained. When it comes to ailing parents, plans change all the time. I wish you the best and able to find time to recharge while you help your parents.

Monday was a disaster. We stayed the night. Dad got weaker every hour. He needed our help to do stuff for him. he is very sad as he loses control of his body but his mind is generally good. We thought we would have a rough night and we did. I would say Bert and I got about 4 hours of interrupted sleep. The hope was home health evaluation would be done today (Tuesday) but there was red tape issues and they said it would probably be Thursday. We had a decision to make. We called 911. The paramedics came and took him to the hospital.

we waited a bit to go since we knew they needed to evaluate. During that time we dusted and vacuumed the room we sleep in. We don’t normally sleep there except when dad has been sick. We had to clean because the dust and cobwebs were BAD. It was affecting Bert’s lungs.

Dad was admitted to ICU, he was that bad. However we are in the exact same situation as we were at the beginning of April, fluid build up causing respiratory failure. However he was much weaker and could barely get out of bed, but he did. he will have thoracentesis tomorrow. tonight in ICU, so we came back home.

I am exhausted but at least the next two days I can sleep, he will be in the hospital.

Hoping for the best. And positive vibes. Nothing else to do. Unfortunately, you are in the same place. Listen to the doctors. As , someone said above its never easy. Its in someones elses hands now. You can only do so much. Praying for you two and dad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter