The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

It is May 5. 4 years ago Yeti crossed the rainbow bridge. someone smiled on me above and my Facebook memory from 9 years ago is the start of the infamous bunny incident. Brings both a smile and tear to my face. I hope you all enjoy the memory of me telling you all the bunny incident story.
370F986D-3ED1-4F70-A0C5-D642F86A7A79.jpeg

@Sjm9911 That sucks. And sadly it will be the fall of the company as you know it. Most talent will walk when treated like that leaving the new owners at a disadvantage. It amazes me how often this plays out when they do this kind of stuff. If you are forced early retirement, see it as a bonus if this is the signs of things to come.

We are still packing for the trip, looks like it will be a soggy one. Good thing I have DVDs and internet ready to go. I reset my new router to factory and started over. I was testing at 50mbs last night and 45 today. I will see how it runs when I get to PA, and as always I have the backup device too. Hopefully that means we can stream something tonight.

Not sure if I will be making any trips this year. Just got told , on june first they are canceling all our vacation and paying us out for it. This screws me up badly. So, I knew we were getting merged, and I would be forced retired, but now I can not even take a day off. This is making me sick.
So… when is this forced retirement supposed to occur? I presume there is some date that you must achieve to get whatever benefits you are entitled to? I am just wondering how long you are required to “put up” with this if your intention is to get out of this? I assume by forced that you mean you really weren’t ready to get out, but at the same time it sounds like this merge isn’t something you want to be part of? Sorry for the mess you are experiencing with job…..

July 1st , lol. So far I know nothing really. And they change it by the day. Only information we get is what we read or watch in public meetings. We have been fighting it for a while. For backround, as some know, I am a Deputy Chief of a fire department. To save money, they want to mege us with the town next to us. We showed them it will not save money, and they admit it, but will fo it anyway as ots a political feather for the current mayor. This way she can move on to bigger and better things. Forced out is them cutting our pay, presumably. As they will not pay the town next door more. But they have never brought up compensation, contracts, or even how anything will be done. Meger is less then two months away, with 0 plan or comunications. Take into considerment, I will have to run a shift of people that I know nothing about, including quilifications, skills, or even equipment. Not an ideal situation. Plus to achieve this feet , We will be fired, so they can take away our civil service protections. This basicly means, they dont have to rehire people, and if they do, they may not even negotiate a contract. For me Its a mess, and i will just have my time on to retire. Unfortunately, giving us 2 months notice that all compensation ( for sick time, vacation time and comp time) will be paid out now, is not ideal. Financial or otherwise. No time to prepare what to do or how to proceed. Plus, after the covid, and working us for days stright, because of illness, now we dont even get to take vacations. Its a bit obtuse. No care for the workers or families that work for them. People have had vacations cancled and rearanged for the last 3 years. For me , at my age, and the fear of having a pay cut that will effect my pension negatively, for life makes it a foreced retirement. Thats if they even hire me back. My position is one of the ones they want downsized. So who knows.

Got the rig back from the shop. They had it for almost 7 weeks to repair blowout damage, fix a wiper seal, and a sticking black tank valve. I had to call and prod them like 5 times. It was really frustrating, but I'm happy with the work they did.

Of course they left a light on and zapped the batteries. My lithiums should've protected themselves, but sheesh. Is it that hard to turn off lights and/or hit the battery disconnect?

Sounds like the Mayor of Houston did to their fireman. He started messing with their retirement. Praying this does not happen to you.

@Sjm9911 you are young enough to retire with a pension and still find employment. Believe me you’d be surprised how well your skills integrate into related industries. Somehow I know you’ll find a way to keep things going and maybe even move to something better to take you to a slightly later true retirement.

last day of camp for us. Pretty much a rained out weekend and we stayed in the Rv most of the time Our plans of having family visit us at the campground got modified some since it was more like a moat then a campsite. Melissa’s parents coming to visit Saturday afternoon and we went to her brother’s for dinner Saturday night.

French Creek SP campground got a good knod from my family. Power is solid, water pressure is a bit weird though. We started out with a surprising 100psi so on went a regulator. Now it’s hovering around 35 pre regulator. Our site A9 is deep and would feel private even if we had a neighbor. We are scoping out which other sites could accommodate us as this is a good campground for a family visit.

On the RV side, I think we finally are finding a groove with the pups, beds for the girls and how to shuffle things to save floor space. Heat wise I e learned the fireplace heat and front AC fan keeps the kitchen area and half bath warm and the propane takes care of the rest. Bonus is the white noise drowned out most of the outside noises if there where any. You would think this takes only a trip or two, yet we seem to keep finding ways to make it easier for ourselves.

And lastly, the internet. My setup is T-Mobile based, I should check Verizon on my work phone for comparison. Signal is known to be weak here. However the upgraded router showed its strength. Upload speeds where bad, yet download was a respectable 3-12meg consistent even in the hardest rains. This was enough for surfing, some homework the kids needed to do, and most of all streaming. We didn’t watch anything Friday, instead played a few games as a family and called it a night. Sunday though we watched the animated dumbo and some AFV reruns. Time will tell but so far I feel like this setup is finally getting tuned in. I think If I had an external roof antenna I could have seen some better signal numbers. But that’s to be sorted out in the future.

Happy Mother’s Day to all!

last day of camp for us. Pretty much a rained out weekend and we stayed in the Rv most of the time Our plans of having family visit us at the campground got modified some since it was more like a moat then a campsite. Melissa’s parents coming to visit Saturday afternoon and we went to her brother’s for dinner Saturday night.

French Creek SP campground got a good knod from my family. Power is solid, water pressure is a bit weird though. We started out with a surprising 100psi so on went a regulator. Now it’s hovering around 35 pre regulator. Our site A9 is deep and would feel private even if we had a neighbor. We are scoping out which other sites could accommodate us as this is a good campground for a family visit.

On the RV side, I think we finally are finding a groove with the pups, beds for the girls and how to shuffle things to save floor space. Heat wise I e learned the fireplace heat and front AC fan keeps the kitchen area and half bath warm and the propane takes care of the rest. Bonus is the white noise drowned out most of the outside noises if there where any. You would think this takes only a trip or two, yet we seem to keep finding ways to make it easier for ourselves.

And lastly, the internet. My setup is T-Mobile based, I should check Verizon on my work phone for comparison. Signal is known to be weak here. However the upgraded router showed its strength. Upload speeds where bad, yet download was a respectable 3-12meg consistent even in the hardest rains. This was enough for surfing, some homework the kids needed to do, and most of all streaming. We didn’t watch anything Friday, instead played a few games as a family and called it a night. Sunday though we watched the animated dumbo and some AFV reruns. Time will tell but so far I feel like this setup is finally getting tuned in. I think If I had an external roof antenna I could have seen some better signal numbers. But that’s to be sorted out in the future.

Happy Mother’s Day to all!
I find that when the pressure is all over the place , its easier but a bit louder to fill the tank and run the pump. At least I know what to expect when opening a flaucet.

July 1st , lol. So far I know nothing really. And they change it by the day. Only information we get is what we read or watch in public meetings. We have been fighting it for a while. For backround, as some know, I am a Deputy Chief of a fire department. To save money, they want to mege us with the town next to us. We showed them it will not save money, and they admit it, but will fo it anyway as ots a political feather for the current mayor. This way she can move on to bigger and better things. Forced out is them cutting our pay, presumably. As they will not pay the town next door more. But they have never brought up compensation, contracts, or even how anything will be done. Meger is less then two months away, with 0 plan or comunications. Take into considerment, I will have to run a shift of people that I know nothing about, including quilifications, skills, or even equipment. Not an ideal situation. Plus to achieve this feet , We will be fired, so they can take away our civil service protections. This basicly means, they dont have to rehire people, and if they do, they may not even negotiate a contract. For me Its a mess, and i will just have my time on to retire. Unfortunately, giving us 2 months notice that all compensation ( for sick time, vacation time and comp time) will be paid out now, is not ideal. Financial or otherwise. No time to prepare what to do or how to proceed. Plus, after the covid, and working us for days stright, because of illness, now we dont even get to take vacations. Its a bit obtuse. No care for the workers or families that work for them. People have had vacations cancled and rearanged for the last 3 years. For me , at my age, and the fear of having a pay cut that will effect my pension negatively, for life makes it a foreced retirement. Thats if they even hire me back. My position is one of the ones they want downsized. So who knows.
We went through the same thing in 2012 when we were merged with the city of Pontiac (which was under the direction of a state appointed emergency manager due to fiscal mismanagement)
We learned quickly that the contracts we had bargained in good faith werent worth the paper they were printed on. The municipality continues to prove themselves as liars when in January significant cuts were made to retiree's. It was all a game and we were played for fools by people who knew exactly what they were doing.
I make it a point to bring this up when I hear about recruiting problems and unfilled positions. My boys would have been 4th generation fire service. My advice was to focus elsewhere. One is in the automotive industry and the other is in marine.

Last edited:
That is what we did come Sunday. I had not checked the tank and already had 2/3rd a tank from the last race weekend. So the good thing is by using it we used more then half of what was in there. Nothing like a towing a few hundred less pounds home.

We really liked the campground so now I am scouting for available sites we can fit in to go back later this year before they close for the season. It was also nice to get to see @PaHunter and Jenn and finally got a chance to catch up some on Sunday. Neither of us where very social on Saturday when it was pretty much raining sideways all day.

We now pretty much mothball the RV till July. Because of how our plans work out we wont be using the RV again till mid July unless I find a nearby place to get away to. We have two weekends in the next month for Gymnastics (states in VA Beach, regionals in Scranton, PA) and Disney is a resort trip this year in June. I will miss all the June race weekends due to our plans, plus the Dismeet. Yet, I can't think of a better reason to miss out on those things.

Plus side is I can take some time to get it washed up and put a fresh coat of hybrid ceramic wax on it. It does a pretty good job and seems to last the whole year.

After several weekends of go, go, go we had a weekend of not much. We lucked out that the rains where not too soaking and gone by Saturday afternoon. This was perfect as we had a wine club pickup party for the one winery we chose to join a couple years ago. They always find some great "food trucks" to come to these parties. This weekend was an amazing BBQ where everything we tried was amazing.

Sunday was taking the chance that the yard was dry enough to mow. Turns out it could have used another sunny day (which was not on the forecast) and the lawn was already too tall. Either way it is done and not too much damage done in the muddy areas. Also made progress on our mulching work. With about 5 yards of mulch needed it takes time to weed and mulch all the beds, so we are now down to the big beds on the front of the house and we are done for the year. Usually just weed in fall so there is less in the spring.

Well damn @Sjm9911 ! Where is your union in all this?

nDH worked for a city and the fire & police unions were extremely powerful and had a lot of 'clout'. When the city decided to 'downsize' staff citywide, the LEO/Fire union got them a super sweet deal to encourage 'early out' for those who wanted to retire but weren't quite there yet. Added years of service and a golden handshake with either lump sum or annual payouts. nDH wasn't LEO/Fire but the city then offered almost the exact deal for his department. DH took it and ran for it. He was able to retire about 5 years early due to the added years of service.

Well damn @Sjm9911 ! Where is your union in all this?

nDH worked for a city and the fire & police unions were extremely powerful and had a lot of 'clout'. When the city decided to 'downsize' staff citywide, the LEO/Fire union got them a super sweet deal to encourage 'early out' for those who wanted to retire but weren't quite there yet. Added years of service and a golden handshake with either lump sum or annual payouts. nDH wasn't LEO/Fire but the city then offered almost the exact deal for his department. DH took it and ran for it. He was able to retire about 5 years early due to the added years of service.
I was a police officer for 20 years and we never had a union. Some places do, some don't. Sucks but true.

We have a union, and have been fighting this since way before I got hired. This has been coming up every 10 years since the 1950s when my dad worked for the town next door. Tbh, it will not save money or benifit the town I work in. The town next to me will be making out. Addtionally, pretty much everyone that is a professional has said its a bad idea. But , when your just looking for political feathers, people dont matter. So, we will see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter