The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Last night we had a batch of thunderstorms roll thru, shingles flew off the roof and landed down the side of DW's Suzuki, scratching the paint badly. Like we needed something else to deal with. Winds last night were 60mph plus.
Calling for it to hit triple digits today, roofers should be here any minute to get started. Have to make sure they doubly secure the west facing side.
Don't need sheet metal coming down on the cars. Another day of Reba and I hiding in the AC, thinking I will rework my curio cabinet to get the Saturn V Rocket a better space. It is in there now, but just to keep it from getting dusty. Need to move some shelving, good hot day project.

Roofers called and rescheduled for Monday when it is supposed to be in the 80's. Apparently they did not want to work on the hottest day of the year, can't blame them.

There are two weekends/Saturday nigjts i despise every semester.

One is the Saturday night before Dead Week starts. Thats the week before final exams. So its the last big party night at the end of the semester.

The other night is tonight. Its the Saturday night before Alabama starts classes on Wednesday. This is where we assess the new neighbors every year.

Its the price we pay for living 10 minutes from the football stadium.

20210814_200951.jpg

I will take refuge in cool mint cookie yogurt in my Dole Whip bowl.

Bama Ed

Nothing is good its hot outside! Asked the kid if she wanted to go to the pool, she said its too hot out.

understood, we have had a week of 95 plus degrees and heat index of 110. finally cooled off to 85 today, pool was 94 degrees, we lasted 1 hour, could've boiled shrimp. forecast is for mid 80's and down to mid 50's at night this coming week, hopefully the pool cools down. Boone county fair today, Winnebago county fair next weekend, DD#3 is a vet tech, she has to see the livestock!

There are two weekends/Saturday nights I despise every semester. Its the price we pay for living 10 minutes from the football stadium.
I also live in a college town, although SIUE is at the edge of town, a few miles from where I live. Our "tell" for arrival weekend is all the mini refrigerators, futons, and anything else a new student needs to set up their dorm or rental. It is pretty impressive how quickly those things disappear.

j

Got home from Korea yesterday. My flight left Seoul at 1045 am on Saturday. I landed in Detroit at 1007 am on Saturday. Total mind screw. My wagon was draggin all day yesterday and then my eyes shot open at 4 this morning. Thankfully the yard isn't going nuts so it's just a slow day on the couch. BUT the power has been out since about 10. The generator is keeping the essentials going, but Murphy can't give me a break?!

It's good to be home though.

Last edited:
Don't remind me please. Lol, I get to patrol the SHU campus during move in. The college is a bit diffrent from your college towns. Maybe a bit smaller in attendance, but still big. All good. No giant arenas on campus though.
I also live in a college town, although SIUE is at the edge of town, a few miles from where I live. Our "tell" for arrival weekend is all the mini refrigerators, futons, and anything else a new student needs to set up their dorm or rental. It is pretty impressive how quickly those things disappear.

j

Got home from Korea yesterday. My flight left Seoul at 1045 am on Saturday. I landed in Detroit at 1007 am on Saturday. Total mind screw. My wagon was draggin all day yesterday and then my eye shot open at 4 this morning. Thankfully the yard isn't going nuts so it's just a slow day on the couch. BUT the power has been out since about 10. The generator is keeping the essentials going, but Murphy can't give me a break?!

It's good to be home though.

I know that feeling. Once left Tokyo and landed at JFK before we left, technically. we caught a great jet stream that flight. Hope you get back on schedule quickly.

Uneventful weekend for us. Yup we got the storms Friday night and the 3.5" of rain in about an hour on Saturday night, and amazing that was the first time the ground did not look dry within an hour of some rain.

Friday I had two "Danger Trees" taken down for me. While I am capable of most, these were very dead and could not be climbed. Plus one had cracked and was leaning the wrong way. I found a local tree company who happens to live in my neighborhood and they did a great job. Now I just need to split and stack it all, but I got some good ash to burn for a while.

Still working out some fall RV plans and looking for a good weekend for Melissa and I to get away for a weekend like last year. And already working on the 2022 plans for trips and fun with the family.

Today the roofers came and we got a new roof on the garage. They only need to come back and replace the gutters on the house. Of course we are predicted to have rain for the next 3 days, some of it very heavy. So they may not be back until Friday to work on the gutters, see how the weather goes.

Thanks to Fred we are getting some more rain, really it was kind of needed around me. The few t-storms we had prior where short rains, and then the big dump which never soaks in. Some good soaking rain is good for our well and good for the plans.....sadly also means our field grass lawn will take off quickly again with some sunlight.

I noticed some gutters not handling the rains well yesterday, so time to get on a ladder and inspect. I really hope I don't need to get any right now.

Wishing for rain up here, I'm worried the dogs may hurt themselves in the cracks in the yard, yesterday I took a spade and tried to close them up. Never been so dry here. DW and I went golfing last week, it was like hitting off a pavement, no fun at all

It’s raining in north Georgia and atlanta. Thankfully not bad winds by us but rain. It started early this morning and will last all day. I ran on the TM, which is miserable but was afraid of getting poured on. Planned leftovers for dinner so no need to go outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter