The DIS Dad's Club V - Man's Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

My eyes grew bleary reading the list of "You could be a Disney Dad if...", with my head constantly nodding up and down.

I am a Dad, who is coincidentally a "Mom" too. Hope you will accept me anyway!

Thanks!

Congrats on being part of the Mom's panel! :cool1: And we're glad you found us on the DISboards. You are member # 526! :thumbsup2

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DIS DAD'S CLUB! :welcome:

You have been added to the DIS Dad's Club list :thumbsup2

First: Fed!!!! Welcome home and thanks again for the service. We’re all proud to know you and mightily relieved to have you back in you old stompin’ grounds. I tried to find a good saluting smiley to tuck into this post but, decided that this little tribute (titled: A salute to: Guts... Heart... & Dreams...) might serve the true spirit of the DDC just a little bit better...

Salute.jpg

Now we return you back to your regularly scheduled Monday morning post already in progress…

“Tuckered… And it’s Monday morning to boot… Uhhhgggg“ :eek:

I was working at one of the concession stands at the Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers show at the Verizon Amphitheater in Charlotte last night, and that will slap ware you out. Obviously, I didn’t see the show, but I herd a good bit of it and wish I could have just walked out and joined the crowd. Those boys do right by their paying fans. Working concessions is interesting to say the least. I tell you, it’s amazing what folks are willing to shell out for a beer and a little bit of stadium grub. It’s also rather eye opening to see the way folks will treat the “hired help” when something doesn’t go exactly as planed of if they don’t particularly like the idea of being required to play by the house rules. Most are cool (the ladies generally even appreciate being carded), but there are always a few that are just convinced that the world revolves around them (and beer don’t help that situation).

My DW and I have done this several times each now and until we started helping out, I didn’t know that nearly all of the folks working at concession stands at sporting and concert events are actually working for volunteer organizations of one kind or another. We don’t get paid, but rather our nonprofit (which in this instance happens to be the booster club for the music departments at all of the schools in out home town) receives a small percentage of the sales. Our group also works one of the larger stands at the Carolina Panthers home games, so we had to come up with a lot of volunteers yesterday to get both stands fully staffed. All “School-Night” shows are extra tough because we obviously don’t get to leave right after the festivities (as there’s still a gracious plenty of work that needs doin’), but the next morning you still got to drag your sorry rump out of bed and get to your real job. I suspect I’ll be dragging along for the better part of the day.

Arrrgggg! :headache:

Morning Dads! Hope you're all having a good start to your week.

So my DW returned home from California late Saturday night! :cool1:

It was such a good thing to be able to send her, difficult as it was at times. Of course, returning home was difficult emotionally for her and her dad, but that cannot be helped. As she said, if shere were able to have a duplicator (like in the old Calvin & Hobbes comics), she would have done so in a heartbeat. Not being able to be in both places is/will be hard on her. They will keep in daily contact, and she is planning to return in probably mid-to late October for an extended weekend kind of visit.

As far as he is concerned, things are moving ahead. He has his good days and his not so good days, and will continue like that indefinitely. They are just taking it one day at a time. He is scheduled to return to the doctors in a couple of weeks for some follow-up tests to see if the chemo-like pill (tarceva) is working to slow the growth or not.

But the one thing that transpired Saturday night after we picked her up at the airport just spoke volumes to me, once again confirming that I had made the right decision (even though I actually already knew it weeks ago) in sending her. She phoned to tell him that she had arrived safely and we were driving home. She then thanked him for putting up with her for so long, and he turned around and said, despite all that he's facing and going through, that it had been the best 10 days of his life. He was so grateful honored that she would put her life on hold to come out and take care of him. :hug:
That just sent so many warm fuzzies down my spine and I just had to share.

So, with her back home again, I've turned in my teacher's guides, and am returning back to my own situation, which after so long will only feel like half of a job anymore :rotfl: But as I told her last night before bed, I will miss spending the time with my kids. Sure the office will be quiet, and I'll get a bunch of stuff done in less time than I did last week - but I won't be able to just hug or love on them whenever anymore. I won't have that sweet little girl's eyes coming up and looking at me while I'm on a conference call. And I won't have that rambunctious 11 yr old suddenly playing the theme music from Super Mario Bros on the piano in the background any more... at least not during my workday. Sigh. For those things, and the benefit that both my wife and her dad got from the time spent... I wouldn't trade anything. :love:

Have a great day guys!

Just got done making ressie's for next weeks mini trip, Going to Busch Gardens Va next Sat & Kings Dominion on Sun. Just me and the wife this time (Holloween stuff at this parks are top noche and way too scarey for a 5yr old:scared1:) Best part is only have to pay for 1 night stay (1 nights free) food,gas & tolls. Since I have SP for BG and my friend gave me ticks for KD the whole trip should be under $200:cool1:

If any Dads in the VA area can make it, I'd love to meet up with you:goodvibes

Can't believe we're going to miss each other again! If we weren't going to Ohio to see my folks I would meet up at BG with you. I have yet to see Howl-O-Scream (Neither my DW or my DD would not like it). Certainly hope you have a great time!! I tried to make it to the big announcement at BG on Saturday morning, but got caught in traffic on 64. BUT... I heard from a few people afterward and this is pretty much what they found out:

http://www.buschgardens.com/Bgw/CP/?page=bignews

I had to post this where someone would appreciate it. I DJed a wedding tonight and the grooms name was.... wait for it.... wait for it..... Chuck Norris! Every time I said his name I wanted to start laughing. While the best man was doing the toast he broke out a Chuck Norris reference of when Chuck does pushups he actually pushes the world down. I wish I taped it on my phone- it was a classic... although not one person in the crowd thought it was funny. :confused3

NO one found it funny?? Sheesh! I'd have totally laughed out loud! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

All was good. crowds were good...longest lines were @ DHS @ rockin roll coaster and TSM...did TSM at the end of the night( about 20-25 min wait)...coaster was about 30 min, but everyone did not want to ride so we went to TSM.....the only other time ride times were long. was the EMH @ AK in the eve.....was way crazy...I made our ADR first with out looking @ EMH, and seems as tho I missed them all doh! but I think in reality it worked out as we seem to avoid the crowds.longest wait times were about 20 min....we did not do the halloween party, which once again may have bypassed the people...all in all great first trip on property....l like AKL, but not the loooong bus rides anywhere..SSR was great good view of DTD, we will be there in June.....just found out gotta take a few unpaid days(5) between oct and the end of the yr, wonder if we could squeeze another trip in??? Hummm...
Very Proud of my youngest (6yo) rode everest 2x, tower of terror, BMR...said everest and ToT was his faves, even tho he started to cry when the doors shut to ToT :confused3...

woot ownage!

Welcome back!! Sounds like it was a successful week in the World. Too bad you didn't get to meet any of the dads... but we understand.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing these. :thumbsup2

So... you've read the story about me DJing Chuck Norris wedding on Friday night.... if not read THIS. So on Saturday I'm driving to another wedding and I see a sign up ahead while I'm stopped at a light. Could my eyes be deceiving me? No I've struck GOLD 2 days in a row... check it out!!!

IMAG0175.jpg

So I hear-by declare that Connecticut is the Chuck Norris capital of the WORLD!!!!!!!! :lmao::lmao:

1st: WELCOME HOME FED!!!

Seriously - My family and I can't thank you enough for all you do. Both my kids plan to enter the military after college and it's because of the selfless service of heroes like you.

I'm normally starting from Raleigh at noon but i'll give you our plan we followed the last few times. I drive straight through to Jacksonville so we get there about 7:00pm. If you do Hotwire and search for Jacksonville (JAX) it will come up with a 3 1/2 star for about $54, we have done it 3 times and it is always the Crowne Plaza. It's right off of 95 and has nice rooms and a cool indoor/outdoor pool.
You big baby! It's a 10 hour trip! Last time I left work a little early, got home and slept for a while (my wife and kids were at a veterans day event with the Young Marines so I had some quiet time) then got up at midnight and took off. We were in our room by 11:30. I slept for another two hours and we were good to go.

Of course I say this knowing that this time we're taking advantage of my Aunt and Uncle's rental house on the ocean in Ormond-by-the-sea. :D THIS trip will be difficult. *phew* :lmao:

:::::DISCLAIMER!:::::

If anyone chooses to do this, remember that 1) it's not very smart if you're not used to driving long distances or at night (or both) and 2) I encountered some oppressive fog and single-lane traffic in Georgia through construction alley. That, at 80mph (70 if you're a highway patroll officer :thumbsup2), had my blood PUMPING, esp with 3 snoring people in the van.

So... you've read the story about me DJing Chuck Norris wedding on Friday night.... if not read THIS. So on Saturday I'm driving to another wedding and I see a sign up ahead while I'm stopped at a light. Could my eyes be deceiving me? No I've struck GOLD 2 days in a row... check it out!!!

IMAG0175.jpg

So I hear-by declare that Connecticut is the Chuck Norris capital of the WORLD!!!!!!!! :lmao::lmao:

If you like Chuck Norris jokes AND photography, check out this post. I love that one!

You big baby! It's a 10 hour trip! Last time I left work a little early, got home and slept for a while (my wife and kids were at a veterans day event with the Young Marines so I had some quiet time) then got up at midnight and took off. We were in our room by 11:30. I slept for another two hours and we were good to go.

We always drive straight on the way back but thats in daylight. No way I'm driving that stretch of 4 hours with trees on both sides in the dark, those deer are psychotic!

Besides, it's turning into a tradition that every time I stay in Jacksonville, Fed goes to Iraq just to avoid me:confused3.

We always drive straight on the way back but thats in daylight. No way I'm driving that stretch of 4 hours with trees on both sides in the dark, those deer are psychotic!

Besides, it's turning into a tradition that every time I stay in Jacksonville, Fed goes to Iraq just to avoid me:confused3.

Maybe I just need to get a mini-gun and attach it to the roof of the van. That'll be a great deer deterrent. Keep my kids awake anyway. Hmm... maybe I can "Q" up the van and do it James' Bond style... That would be sweet! :cool2:
swerve.gif

Re: Fed leaving - yeah, I could see that. I'd leave to avoid you but all of our stuff is here and I hate packing. :lmao:

DW really through me for a loop this weekend. Since our Carnival cruise booking was canceled by Carnival, we haven't nailed down what our next vacation is going to be. Obviously I have been doing what I can to get DW interested in at least a partial visit to WDW... but she hasn't been biting... until this weekend.
She presented me with a challenge: Get us into Boardwalk Villas/Inn AND a visit to Busch Gardens Tampa for under $3k and she will give the nod. :woohoo: So... now I'm trying to piece together a split vacation and it's proving to be interesting. I'm thinking the only way I'd be able to fit in a few days at DBV is possibly through renting points from DVC. Rack rates are simply too high to fit in the budget. But I have to say I'm a bit leery of renting points. Has anyone else done this? BUT... on the other hand... this could possibly usher in our first stay at a DVC resort... and with DVC magic around maybe push us into buying DVC. Anyway... just wanted to share my dilemma with you guys. Thanks for listening :surfweb:

DW really through me for a loop this weekend. Since our Carnival cruise booking was canceled by Carnival, we haven't nailed down what our next vacation is going to be. Obviously I have been doing what I can to get DW interested in at least a partial visit to WDW... but she hasn't been biting... until this weekend.
She presented me with a challenge: Get us into Boardwalk Villas/Inn AND a visit to Busch Gardens Tampa for under $3k and she will give the nod. :woohoo: So... now I'm trying to piece together a split vacation and it's proving to be interesting. I'm thinking the only way I'd be able to fit in a few days at DBV is possibly through renting points from DVC. Rack rates are simply too high to fit in the budget. But I have to say I'm a bit leery of renting points. Has anyone else done this? BUT... on the other hand... this could possibly usher in our first stay at a DVC resort... and with DVC magic around maybe push us into buying DVC. Anyway... just wanted to share my dilemma with you guys. Thanks for listening :surfweb:

Sent you a PM

Off Topic (not that there really is one;)) but in viewing the DIS today, some pictures and banners are being replaced by the blank box with the red x and others seem to be showing up fine. Is this a DIS problem that others have noticed or is it a me problem?

Edit: It is a me problem, apparently having issues with my work computer blocking pictures on photobucket... never happened until today.

I may just go crazy in the next ten days. :crazy2:

For about the last two and a half weeks, we've been fighting to get The Bug's asthma back under control. She'd had no problems at all in about two years, then suddenly with the arrival of this fall, it's been a mess. Asthma attack, followed by strep throat, followed by allergic reaction to her antibiotic, followed by more asthma issues . . .

Now, Squeaker has a nasty cough, my throat is scratchy, and DW is having stomach issues today. :sick:

Darn it, we leave for Orlando in 10 DAYS!!!!! No one is allowed to be sick between now and the middle of October!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter