The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
actingeek said:
Hey, I am scheduled to do operations in the fall college program (I leave in 22 days!). I can't wait,but I have a question if anyone knows. I have heard about people switching to character performer after they get down there and I was wondering how that works. I'm a musical theatre major and performance is my passion so I would rather do that if I could. Thanks :)

Usually people switch after they audition at the end of the CP. If they switch, it's because they are a dead ringer for a character or they are extremely short/tall.

Yes there are characters that tall. And that is a good height. But remember- this doesn't always happen. If it doesn't, just audition at the end of the program.

Sorry to ask so many questions............I was wondering if they ever ask you what your preference would be as to where you work. I'm in operations and would really love to work as a guide (or whatever the people who talk throughout the ride are called) on the great movie ride. I love old movies and performance is my forte. Will I have the chance to tell them that that is what I would like to do if possible?

Just reading through this thread is getting me so excited about the CP -- and I haven't even applied yet! But if everything goes as planned, I'll be looking into being down there for Spring Advantage 2007 (Jan-Aug). :woohoo:

I do have a question, though: are admissions big on work experience? I know it's definitely helpful if you know your way around a cash register and how to interact with guests. Truth is, I haven't had a lot of work experience, even though I have done some volunteer work. Do you think, even if I wind up having a stellar interview, that this will significantly hinder my chances of making the cut? :guilty:

No not at all. The fact is, when I applied for my first CP, that was my first real job-ever. So don't worry about it at all.

Thanks! That's a very big relief for me. :thumbsup2 Besides, the more you think about it, Disney is all you need as work experience -- just think how impressive that looks on a resume!

Let me just take a survey: between the two, would you rather do the CP during Spring Advantage or Fall Advantage and WHY?

I was wondering if there is any chance of meeting Robert Iger while on the CP or other Disney executives. I think it would be really fun to be able to meet the CEO and talk to him about the company. So far I'm a fan of his and would like to be able to congratulate him on being the CEO and ask him to keep up the good work. Also I hope to be doing the CP in the Spring so if anyone would like to talk my s/n is gqman87 and since i cant post urls yet my myspace is the myspace address followed by /dlaser.

truebelievers said:
Let me just take a survey: between the two, would you rather do the CP during Spring Advantage or Fall Advantage and WHY?

I have done both. I did Spring 2005 (Jan 12-Aug 5) and am currently on Fall Advantage 2006. I would have to definitely say Fall Advantage. You get to be down here for the holidays. There is no better time to be down here.

I have another question. I was reading the website about who is eligible for hte program and it said this:

2. Meet Their School's Requirements for Participation
Students also must meet any additional criteria their school requires for participation in our program. Schools will be contacted to verify eligibility.

My school will not offer my any credit for it, so obviously that means as far as I know, that my school has no rules about it. Does that mean that my school won't let anybody go? Do most schools have rules about this program? That part confused me.

My school isn't giving me any credit for it either.....basically, it means that to do it you have to take a semester off and probably fill out a form to be readmitted....you would need to talk to probably your registrar to see how your school would handle it....I go down Aug. 23rd and they told me just to fill out a form online in october and they guarenteed that I would get my full financial aid back....Just ask your school, they'll probably work with you.

Well, the good thing for me is that I will have graduated already when I do it (because, I simply cannot take a semester off when I'm so close to graduating). So, I'm doing it fall of 2007, after I graduate this year. So I won't need to talk to anybody to my school about it all.

I was just wondering that since my school gives no credit for it, if when Disney contacts my school asking for elibigility, if they will automatically say that nobody can do the program.

No. Other people have done the CP and not gotten any credit for it.

That's good. So, what will my school tell Disney? That there are no rules for it? I'm just afraid my school will instantly tell Disney that they give no credit for it and that nobody from the school can go, even if other schools have allowed students to go with no credit. Everytime I mentioned it to anybody at my school the idea was really shot down, they hated the idea! So I just have this feeling that when Disney asks my school, they will tell them to go away! :sad2:

It's not really up to your school in the end, especially if you've already graduated. The only thing the school does is verify that you are (or were in your case) a student there and your GPA. They can't lie. You don't need your college's "permission" to go.

So my school has no power to say "No, X can't go?" That's good!

I thought of another question. Do they require you to bring any paperwork as far as medical history goes? Do I need to get a physical before I go? I had one very recently. Also, when you are down there, do they do any medical things on you to make sure you are healthy enough to take on the role?

Well, it's really not permission - It's more of a "you must be within good acedemic standing" with your school. Different schools have different guidelines to what good standing may be. Some schools it is just "passing" - other schools it is a 2.0+ grade average.

I'm definitely going to apply for the cp for next spring. Do you all think I'd have a better chance of getting the role that really want (costuming) if I did the e-presentation as soon as it was available, or will it probably not make a difference and I should just wait an extra month or so until they come to my school? Has anyone done the e-presentation and then gone to the school presentation anyway? BTW, I'd still love any info on the costuming role if anyone has any!

I have. For the Fall 2006 presentation, I did the e-presentation (because I wanted to attendant an audition, and my school's presentation was 2+ weeks after the audition I wanted to attendant). So I did that, and then I attended my school's presentations just for fun. And I would also say do the presentation ASAP (just my opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter