The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Schedule of Upcoming and Current Free Live Stream Broadcasts of stage productions.

(Some of them ask you to register or provide an email address to watch for free. Create a SPAM email address for all the junk emails, if you haven't already.)

Broadbend, Arkansas
Through August 16
LINK --->
http://transportgroup.org/broadbend-streaming/

Justin Cunningham and Danyel Fulton star in the Transport Group's 2019 Off-Broadway staging of Ellen Fitzhugh, Harrison David Rivers, and Ted Shen's musical about a Black family grappling with decades of inequality, violence, and suppression in the South.​

Present Laughter
Through August 29
LINK --->
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/noel-cowards-present-laughter-full-episode/7618/

Kevin Kline, Kate Burton, Cobie Smuthers, and Kristine Nielsen star in the 2017 revival of Noël Coward’s comedy.​

Carousel (already posted earlier)
Through September 8
LINK --->
Lincoln Center's YouTube Channel

Kelli O’Hara and Nathan Gunn star in the New York Philharmonic’s 2013 production of the classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. The cast also includes Stephanie Blythe, Shuler Hensley, Jason Danieley, Jessie Mueller, Kate Burton, John Cullum, Robert Fairchild, and Tiler Peck.​

Much Ado About Nothing
Through September 12
LINK --->
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/much-ado-about-nothing-full-episode/10194/

Danielle Brooks, Grantham Coleman, Chuck Cooper star in the 2019 Public Theatre Shakespeare in the Park production.​

Last edited:
Finally listened to the cast recording of Jagged Little Pill. OMG!!!! :sad: It hits me right where Next to Normal did.

Actor, Ben Vereen's son, Benji, has died. Benji had been missing for two weeks. I guess they just found him. :( The news doesn't say what the cause of death was. Benji was a dancer and a choreographer. He was only 55.

Ben Vereen released a statement:
“I am sorry to announce my son Benjamin A Vereen Jr., affectionately known as "Benji" passed away. Benji was a dancer and a choreographer with an extraordinary artistic talent and we will hold him in our hearts forever. Thank you to the public for loving my son. We would appreciate allowing our family to mourn this privately,"​

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...son-of-the-tony-award-winning-actor--has-died

Actor, Ben Vereen's son, Benji, has died. Benji had been missing for two weeks. I guess they just found him. :( The news doesn't say what the cause of death was. Benji was a dancer and a choreographer. He was only 55.

Ben Vereen released a statement:
“I am sorry to announce my son Benjamin A Vereen Jr., affectionately known as "Benji" passed away. Benji was a dancer and a choreographer with an extraordinary artistic talent and we will hold him in our hearts forever. Thank you to the public for loving my son. We would appreciate allowing our family to mourn this privately,"​

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...son-of-the-tony-award-winning-actor--has-died
That is awful.

Since the Alvin Ailey Dance theatre can't do live performances, they pivoted to filming and streaming their performances. Then they realized, instead of this being a deficit, it expanded their ability to be more creative & artistic, by using the streets and natural scenic environments in a way they couldn't before. many of their live staged performances were on bare stages or with minimal sets.

Here is their performance of Wade in the Water, as it was originally done onstage:

This is their new performance of it, done in and in front of actual water. It's much more impactful, IMO. And I think, once the dancers are actually able to dance together, it will probably be shot again with all 3 dancers in one shot, instead of being spliced together, and so they don't lose some of their arms & legs being cut out of the shots.

Go to the GMA link below to see it. If you want to skip the talking intro, the actual performance starts at 3:32.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/news/video/world-premiere-alvin-aileys-dance-film-72498020

Last edited:
Ben Vereen's son's passing is so sad. Reminded me of seeing him in the lavish showing of "A Christmas Carol" back when every year a new star would headline. What I wouldn't give to have that come back. Also made me think of how all the best TV shows were "filmed in front of a live studio audience" like "Cheers" & "Taxi", I am soooooooo sick of streaming, if any live theater shows pop up once this is all over I am going to be all over it...sigh.

NYC Parks SummerStage Jubilee Concert

FREE Livestream Premiere tomorrow, Sept 17 at 8:00 -9:00 PM

Will also be broadcast on TV on Sunday, Sept 20 from 2-3pm on ABC-7, local NYC station.

Songs & Stories Benefiting Free Programs in Parks

FREE Livestream premiere of SUMMERSTAGE JUBILEE, featuring performances by Sting, Norah Jones, Trey Anastasio, Rufus Wainwright, Leslie Odom Jr., Rosanne Cash, Emily King and storytellers Billie Jean King, Ryan Seacrest, H.E.R., Jimmy Fallon, Paul Shaffer, and Lewis Black joing together to celebrate and support City Parks Foundation’s free programs in parks throughout all five boroughs, from free tennis and golf instruction to experiential, environmental science-based lessons, all of which provide important, structured outdoor activities for young New Yorkers. Your support will ensure that we are able to buy tools and bulbs for volunteers to beautify local parks, and to provide training, microgrants, and coaching to facilitate their local advocacy.

Read more about it HERE.

Watch for free on:
Instagram (SummerStage) – click here
Facebook (SummerStageNYC) – click here
YouTube (NYCSummerStage) – click here

Last edited:
This just posted a few hours ago.

FAME: The Musical - FULL STAGE SHOW
Available for 48 hours Only!

The 30th anniversary tour of Fame: the Musical, starring Keith Jack and Jorgie Porter with Mica Paris, from the Peacock Theatre in London's West End.

Based on the 1980 phenomenal pop culture film, Fame The Musical is the international smash hit sensation following the lives of students at New York's High School For The Performing Arts as they navigate their way through the highs and lows, the romances and the heartbreaks and the ultimate elation of life.

The show is only available until SUNDAY 2 p.m. ET / 11 a.m. PT. Only a 48-hour period online.

Yesterday, there was a surprise, live, Broadway pop-up performance yesterday in Duffy Square, (the red stairs/seats on the back side of the TKTS booth,) at 47th St & Broadway.) :woohoo: :cloud9: The song, Sunday, from Stephen Sondheim's, Sunday In The Park With George, was sung by over 2 dozen Broadway actors, including Bernadette Peters, who originated the role of Dot, in the original Broadway production, along with Kelli O'Hara, Sierra Boggess, Andrew Rannells, Brandon Victor Dixon, Andrea Burns, Ana Villafañe, Ali Stroker, Norm Lewis, Javier Muñoz, and others. They were all socially distanced, wearing see-through face shields while singing.

This pop-up performance was arranged by the volunteer organization, NYCNext, which hopes to arrange more unannounced Broadway pop-up performances in the future. :hyper: All donations they received go directly to The Actors Fund.

Clip on Good Morning America:

Full performance:

Local news story for more details, interviews with a couple stars, and another video from a different angle:

This just posted a few hours ago.

FAME: The Musical - FULL STAGE SHOW
Available for 48 hours Only!

The 30th anniversary tour of Fame: the Musical, starring Keith Jack and Jorgie Porter with Mica Paris, from the Peacock Theatre in London's West End.

Based on the 1980 phenomenal pop culture film, Fame The Musical is the international smash hit sensation following the lives of students at New York's High School For The Performing Arts as they navigate their way through the highs and lows, the romances and the heartbreaks and the ultimate elation of life.

The show is only available until SUNDAY 2 p.m. ET / 11 a.m. PT. Only a 48-hour period online.

Did anyone watch this? I was busy, so I told my dd we could watch if she didn't mind if I didn't pay full attention. 20 minutes in, she said, I'm out, and turned it off LOL. We thought it was awful! I own the original movie and we love it, but this was terrible.

Did anyone watch this? I was busy, so I told my dd we could watch if she didn't mind if I didn't pay full attention. 20 minutes in, she said, I'm out, and turned it off LOL. We thought it was awful! I own the original movie and we love it, but this was terrible.

Some of the comments below the video said the same thing. I thought maybe I should warn people that some said it was bad. :scratchin But, at the same time, I didn't want to give people that preconceived idea ahead of time. There were some others who did say they liked it even though it wasn't the great. I figure people who watch can decide for themselves. Maybe next time, I'll give a warning, if I see one, so people can have a back up plan to watch something else, just in case.

I saw the original movie too. I loved it. The song, I Sing The Body Electric, is still one of my favorites. And it's great to power walk to as it is so upbeat. :yay:

Some of the comments below the video said the same thing. I thought maybe I should warn people that some said it was bad. :scratchin But, at the same time, I didn't want to give people that preconceived idea ahead of time. There were some others who did say they liked it even though it wasn't the great. I figure people who watch can decide for themselves. Maybe next time, I'll give a warning, if I see one, so people can have a back up plan to watch something else, just in case.

I saw the original movie too. I loved it. The song, I Sing The Body Electric, is still one of my favorites. And it's great to power walk to as it is so upbeat. :yay:
Agree, that song is INCREDIBLE! Is It Okay If I Call You Mine and Dogs in the Yard are wonderful too!

Wonder how long my Music Man ticket will get pushed back. Originally Jan 2021, then Aug 2021, now probably sometime in 2022?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter