The Bear Necessities! April 2019 W.I.S.H Goals

My woohoo is that my new windows are finally here (I thought we were getting them in January...but I've been talking about getting them since we moved in 18 years ago)!!! Installation started Monday and should finish today! I'm hopefully this will help reduce our energy costs too!

It’s a beautiful sunny day here in PA! I’m looking forward to getting out for my walk today. Just waiting for it to get a little warmer.
I have two bags of clothes to drop off at Goodwill, so my closet is looking a little more organized.
Lunch date with two dear friends tomorrow-good friends are definitely a woohoo!

I don't know what my woohoo is. Maybe I have 2. I am ecstatic that we have 2 dental insurances that are really good. DS got braces the beginning of January and DD got them yesterday. Insurance paid so much of it that we had enough in savings to pay both off in full. This was a big wait lifted. We were afraid for a long time that it would a huge expense that we wouldn't have. Together the cost was less then a trip for us to WDW.

My second woohoo is that my back is getting better. I hurt it Friday. I am not sure how but I am guessing from painting. I was flat on my back for Saturday and Sunday in excruciating pain and had to take advil every 4 hours through Monday. It still hurts but more just being stiff. I haven't taken advil since Monday night.

I don't know what my woohoo is. Maybe I have 2. I am ecstatic that we have 2 dental insurances that are really good. DS got braces the beginning of January and DD got them yesterday. Insurance paid so much of it that we had enough in savings to pay both off in full. This was a big wait lifted. We were afraid for a long time that it would a huge expense that we wouldn't have. Together the cost was less then a trip for us to WDW.

My second woohoo is that my back is getting better. I hurt it Friday. I am not sure how but I am guessing from painting. I was flat on my back for Saturday and Sunday in excruciating pain and had to take advil every 4 hours through Monday. It still hurts but more just being stiff. I haven't taken advil since Monday night.

Glad to hear the woohoos, and my sympathies on the braces - my DS just got his off in February, so I know what you're all going through!

I'm back, too.
Welcome back!

My woohoo is that my new windows are finally here (I thought we were getting them in January...but I've been talking about getting them since we moved in 18 years ago)!!! Installation started Monday and should finish today! I'm hopefully this will help reduce our energy costs too!
Yay!!! We got ours done years ago, and the first thing we noticed was how much QUIETER things seemed.

I have nothing - I am no woohoo this week at all - I did walk with my friend this afternoon though - so maybe woohoo for great friends :upsidedow
Definitely!!!

Sorry to hear about your back, but glad to hear it is getting better!

So an additional (sarcastic-ish) woohoo from me is that my class allows you to re-take one test during the semester... yeah, that will probably be the one I took today, but I'm happy that there's that chance! I'm also going to cheer for myself for doing a tiny job in the yard and cleaning the kitchen, because I am fighting off some kind of cold and it is kicking.my.tush!!! Like, get up and walk around and break out in a sweat from the effort!

It is officially spring here... the blossoms say it is, the temperatures aren't convincing... but the dead giveaway is the annual wave of fruit flies trying to invade my house! Every. Derned. Spring. And it doesn't help that we have seedlings in pots in the kitchen and DD15's room, the bugs think we're inviting them! So I mustered my strength and fought back today... everything scrubbed down, sinks plugged and dried out (they are attracted to damp) and mason jar traps set out... the ones that surrender peacefully get released outside... the ones that don't... I snuck up on them with a vacuum. It's the only thing I've found that really works! So yeah, yay me... if I die from exhaustion, put that on my gravestone... "See? Cleaning DID kill someone!"

Oh, and I did really well staying on my diet today... something about being too tired to snack!!! ;P

For those time-travelers who are already in Thursday, what are you thankful for today? It can be anything, even just that you do, indeed have the bare necessities of life... or that you don't at the moment, which is helping you learn to appreciate the times when you do...

This week, I'm thankful for technology. Seriously. And you have no idea how ironic that is. While I fully recognize and frequently bemoan the perils and horrors of the internet, I am also fully aware and appreciative of how much lives like mine are improved by it. As the mother of a changeling (she doesn't like being called special-needs, so we agreed she's a fairie changeling, instead...) it can be very isolating. Add to that that I'm an introvert, and boards like these allow me to have a connection to the outside world on my own time and terms. I've done so much schoolwork on hospital wifi connections when she's been unwell, and I can go out to run errands knowing that the school can reach me, not worrying that I'll be needed and unreachable. Last month the only reason I was able to even CONSIDER going hiking was knowing that I'd have my phone with me at all times. And yeah, every time I was in a dead-zone, it was nerve-wracking. Sure enough, murphy struck hard, and kiddo ended up in the hospital for 3 days, but I knew as soon as she started showing symptoms and I was able to make the 600 mile drive back home knowing that if there were any developments, I'd know immediately, and getting constant updates without having to stop.

So while some people might say all you really need is water, oxygen, protection (clothing/shelter,) and food... I definitely believe that we as humans need connections, and that (when properly balanced with real-world interactions) the internet has improved the ability to find interesting communities to connect with that we otherwise might never have "met." There is plenty of talk out there that the internet teaches kids how to get 10k+ Instagram likes but not how to have a conversation in person, and I'll agree there's something to that, but I am thankful for the positive aspects of connectivity. (That includes you guys, btw!)

So what are you thankful for?

@Zhoen - I love you post - sorry to hear your daughter ended up in hospital when you trying to do your hiking! I definitely agree with you about connection to others being a bare necessity.

Hmmmm I am thinking what I am thankful for today ...

I am thankful for my 3 wonderful children, they have made me who I am, they are by far the best thing I have ever done. Yes I have made mistakes along the way - but I am very proud of how they are growing up. I am thankful for the close relationship that we have. My little family didn't end up as it started but we are okay (mostly) and are determined to keep growing, healing and supporting each other.

I'll second your technology vote!

...boards like these allow me to have a connection to the outside world on my own time and terms.

That's why I love them too. I'm a deep thinker, but sometimes a slow one. - It just takes me a while to find the right words, and I do way better with typing my ideas than trying to articulate them at the right point in a "live" conversation. Plus, we can be all over the world, and not have to be available at the same time to keep our discussions going. :)

Other tech I love right now:
YouTube videos that I can watch on the treadmill
Texting!!
Always having a camera with me, thanks to cell phones

For those time-travelers who are already in Thursday, what are you thankful for today? It can be anything, even just that you do, indeed have the bare necessities of life... or that you don't at the moment, which is helping you learn to appreciate the times when you do...

This week, I'm thankful for technology. Seriously. And you have no idea how ironic that is. While I fully recognize and frequently bemoan the perils and horrors of the internet, I am also fully aware and appreciative of how much lives like mine are improved by it. As the mother of a changeling (she doesn't like being called special-needs, so we agreed she's a fairie changeling, instead...) it can be very isolating. Add to that that I'm an introvert, and boards like these allow me to have a connection to the outside world on my own time and terms. I've done so much schoolwork on hospital wifi connections when she's been unwell, and I can go out to run errands knowing that the school can reach me, not worrying that I'll be needed and unreachable. Last month the only reason I was able to even CONSIDER going hiking was knowing that I'd have my phone with me at all times. And yeah, every time I was in a dead-zone, it was nerve-wracking. Sure enough, murphy struck hard, and kiddo ended up in the hospital for 3 days, but I knew as soon as she started showing symptoms and I was able to make the 600 mile drive back home knowing that if there were any developments, I'd know immediately, and getting constant updates without having to stop.

So while some people might say all you really need is water, oxygen, protection (clothing/shelter,) and food... I definitely believe that we as humans need connections, and that (when properly balanced with real-world interactions) the internet has improved the ability to find interesting communities to connect with that we otherwise might never have "met." There is plenty of talk out there that the internet teaches kids how to get 10k+ Instagram likes but not how to have a conversation in person, and I'll agree there's something to that, but I am thankful for the positive aspects of connectivity. (That includes you guys, btw!)

Well said, Zhoen! For myself, I remember how technology made my job so much better-not just for me, but our students. I gladly said goodbye to that old card catalog! And all my friends with children and grandchildren across the country able to FaceTime with them-one of my friends reads her granddaughter a story every morning!

I am so thankful for my family-my grandson is just the absolute joy of my life, his parents, my wonderful husband of 37 years!

Well Hello!

Somehow I got a bit lost between March and April and just managed to find y'all, but in the process also found the thread for tracking minutes of exercise and joined in that as well, so Thursday is starting off as a win-win.

Hi, I'm Lizanne a single lady living in Seattle WA, so yes, I too have been taking copious amounts of Vitamin D supplements for years and years. I am significantly over weight, and have struggled with weight management most of my life.

I've also got the motivation of a trip coming up, as I recently booked vacation to WDW in mid-June. So, my April goals are pretty ambitious:

Lose 10 pounds... I'm "leaning in" this month!
600 hundred minutes of exercise... carried over from the other challenge.

Eat healthfully... this means a couple things: good nutritional balance, calorie control and staying away from the foods that I don't tolerate well.

What am I thankful for... I'm also very appreciative of technology and the way it has changed our lives. On the positive side, I love using Google Maps on my phone: I have one of the nice little dashboard phone holders and will turn on Google Maps even when I know where I'm going so I can see the traffic backups. I also love being able to connect to others in groups like this! On the not so positive side, I'm addicted to Instagram, and mindlessly scrolling thru is one of the ways I numb.

I am thankfully for my health and the health of my family. This has been weighing on me since yesterday when I some news from a co-work that has become a good friend. She has been sick for a few weeks and the first initial thought was cancer but the tests came back negative. While I was out last week she started to get more symptoms and they did a CAT scan that showed a mass in her chest. It was biopsied on Monday so no real answers yet but everything is pointing to Lymphoma. She is younger then me with an almost 1 and 3 year old. She is such the sweetest person too. When I was going through all of the issues last year with DD she was always someone for me to talk to. The day after DD was in the ER because she couldn't out of one I, I was a wreck. When I came into work she asked me right away how she is and I just cried and she gave me such the biggest hug. Her husband is going to school to be a preacher so it will be really hard for them if she is out of work for some time. She may not be able to get FMLA either since she just took it when she had her DD last May.

Sorry for being so sappy but this news has really hit me hard. I can't image what her family is going through. I also seem to be very emotional this week.

Thursday, what are you thankful for today?
I read your message early this morning, but didn't have time to respond before school. I am always thankful for my family...my husband, my kids, my dog, my parents, my siblings, my nieces and nephews. This week, I am specifically thankful that my sister found out that she will be done with her residency in time to join us for a week at the beach. So that means, my baby nephew (along with my sister and brother-in-law) will be staying with us for a week on vacation. No distraction of work, no household chores, just relaxing and spending time with family! I'm so excited and can't wait!

I also like the idea of Thankful Thursdays so much that I decided we would do it in my classroom. So this morning, my students had a chance to share with a partner something that they were thankful for and we will continue this routine every Thursday for the rest of the year. So thanks for the great idea @Zhoen!

Sorry for being so sappy but this news has really hit me hard. I can't image what her family is going through. I also seem to be very emotional this week.
Definitely no need to be sorry! And, unfortunately, I can relate. We have a teacher whose wife has been battling breast cancer for about 5 years. They just recently discovered that it has spread to her lungs and is terminal. He has taken the rest of the year off to spend time with his wife and their 2 boys (6 & 14). There are just no words. I absolutely can not imagine what their life is like right now. And another reason for me to be extremely thankful for my family and our health.

I'm thankful for flexible crossing guards. They are truly the worst part of my job, and of course this morning I had one call out and even though I have a lot of subs, nobody could work this morning. I had to walk a few blocks to a corner where two work and steal one and show him where the empty corner was where he was desperately needed. I'm thankful he was willing to move.

In wahoos, I've talked to both DS's the last couple days! Always nice to hear their voices. And my snowbird parents drove safely back home. I'm not sure we're going to see them (they live two hours away) before they leave on their Panama cruise (again!) in ten days. The next two Saturdays I am helping a friend get her deceased mother in-law's house ready for an estate sale.

Unfortunately, for Foodie Friday, I didn't get to try the new recipe that I wanted to this week. I'll save that for next week. And instead I'll share that we had the seasonal Strawberry Poppyseed Salad with Chicken has returned to Panera! This is my son's absolute favorite. It's what he requests for his birthday meal. So we got a large one last night and shared it as a family as a side with our meal. Since it's seasonal, I sort of forgot about it. But it was something that we would make at home ourselves over the summer. Just romaine lettuce, strawberries, mandarin oranges, pineapple, blueberries, pecans, & chicken. Then we bought the Panera Poppyseed dressing. Of course, it always tastes better though when I don't have to make it. And it made for a quick side to go along with our crockpot pork tenderloin since we had a tight schedule last night.

(Hehe!!! Darn morning people got ahead of me!!!)

It's Foodie Friday!!! Did you make anything new this week? Try anything new even if you didn't actually make it? Bonus question- What is the most "exotic" food you've tried (healthy or otherwise)? Did you like it?

I have a zillion new things this week (I like to overstudy when I know there will be a grade... :rotfl2:)

The big one is that I tried some weird Indian food off the hot bar at Whole Foods. I have never liked curry--in fact, for decades, the smell alone could make me sick. I theorize that when I was little, living in a neighborhood with a lot of Pakistani refugees and very lax rules on selling food right out of your kitchen window (which was actually really cool...) that my parents bought some that made me sick, and I just don't remember... but can't prove it. At any rate, when roughly 1-in-5 people in the world live there, I figure it's worth trying to understand a little about them, and food is an easy starting place. So I tried bites of chicken curry (didn't make me barf, and if it was that or starving, I'd be ok with eating it, so I guess I'm getting less sensitive over time.) I also tried "vegetable korma," which looked like barf and tasted a bit like perfume. I also tried "Aloo Matar," which also looked like barf, but tasted ok. I also bought some packaged Indian foods to try here-and-there over the month.

Same day, I also tried some of their Apple-Pear Slaw, which I would argue the health of because of the dressing, but it was ok tasting... didn't notice any apple in it, but the pear/cabbage combination was interesting and spring-ish. And, I've had radishes before, of course, but they had a variety I'd never had before, so I'm saying it counts... :P

And, for balance, I am pleased to say that I tried a new recipe that *WASN'T* healthy, and I didn't like it, so I am not tempted to eat any of the leftovers!!! (The others seem to like it, so it will get used, and if not, I'll feed it to the chickens...)

For the bonus question:
Cactus- didn't care for it raw, but I've never tried it in a recipe
Jicama- loved it raw, julienned, like crunchy little French fries
Dove- tasted like chicken, go figure
Horse- hard to say, it was dried and shredded over a salad... so it tasted about like any other jerky, but kind of ruined the salad
Alligator- not sure, it was in jerky and heavily blended with pork, but I'm guessing on it's own it would be too fishy...
Lotus root- very similar to water chestnut, but not quite as crunchy once you cook it.
And while lamb is not really exotic, it's also not the most common food here in the states, so I'll add that to my list... I make a MEAN gyro using a lamb-and-beef blend... (but I don't do it often, because lamb is really expensive...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter