• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - APRIL 2010

A couple more GF questies!

I like sitting down to breakfast in the morning and am looking forward to GFC. I have a few character meals planned but 3 or 4 days would like to just get b'fast at GFC. Do you think I need to make ADR's for that? Also, what time does the GFC usually begin serving breakfast? I like to get an early start then head out to the parks.

Next, I've never done the sea raycers but I know as soon as my son sees them he's going to want to do it. Is there an age limit to ride? He's four years old. Is it safe for him to ride in one? Are they hard to drive? Thanks!

Oh, one more. Do you get a view of the main building from either Sago or Conch from the marina side? I like to see the buildings all lit up at night. Also, which is closer to Gaspirallas, Sago or Conch? Thanks again!

dizneedoll - We love the GF Cafe for breakfast! I think it opens at 7:00 a.m. I'm not sure how busy they are right at opening, but we never have a reservation for breakfast or lunch, and have never been turned away. If I recall, our longest wait for a table was 10 minutes, and that was when the resort was extremely busy.

I think a child must be 12 years old and 5 foot tall to drive the Sea Raycers, but I've not heard of an age limit on riding. The resort provides life jackets which must be worn at all times. We've rented the former Mouse Boats when our youngest was about 8 or 9, so I can't really say whether it's safe for a 4 year old. I hope BCV23 pops in, she has a link to a very informative thread about the Sea Raycers. They aren't hard to drive, btw, I've driven them and that's my first time driving a boat of any kind! ETA: - I found the link that BCV23 usually references for Sea Raycer questions: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=31014629&postcount=36

Sago Cay is closer to Gasparilla's than Conch Key. You can see the Gasparilla portion of the main building from the marina side of both Conch and Sago, but you could only see a glimpse of the rest of the main building from Sago, as it angles the other direction. If you look at the map on page 1, you'll see what I mean.

Here is a photo of a 5th floor marina view room in Conch. As you can see, you look over the marina towards Gasparilla's - the rest of the main building is out of sight. That is Sago Cay that you see in the top right portion of the photo.

SpringBreak07023.jpg

dizneedoll, your 4 yo will be able to ride with you in a searaycer. Our sons both loved them growing up. Their first rides were at 3 & 1 respectively. My DH took our older son and I drove our 1 yo at a very sedate speed. He loved it. Me...not so much. :lmao: I think it was the one and only time I went out in one. After that, our children took turns with my DH driving until the oldest could drive on his own.:rotfl:

I was wondering if anyone here has pics from an RPC deluxe king room? Particularly of the views? I might do an upgrade to one of these rooms since I heard some have a MK view.
Right now we are in a regular TPV room for the last part of our trip. I've asked our TA to request Sago for us since I've heard the views from that building are not blocked by trees and such :)

TYIA!

I don't have the pics in a postable location, but we just stayed in 4321, a king deluxe "octagon" room, last week. The room was incredible. The two above (4421 and 4521) would actually have better views because of trees. But counterclockwise, our views were:
- Clear unobstructed view of the beach pool
- Clear view of the beach poolhouse, beach waterfront, and wedding pavillion
- Clear view of the Lagoon, and the Poly, including the tops of the swan (or Dolphin?) and the Epcot ball (Spaceship Earth) over the Poly buildings.
- Clear view of the "summerhouse" and chair seating area, and the back of Big Pine Key
- Tree covered view of the courtyard pool, though you could see some of it, and Boca Chica behind the pool
- Clear view of CINDERELLA'S CASTLE between the trees and between Sugar Loaf and Boca Chica.
- Clear view of all Wishes fireworks. We had to be creative with the seating and the curtains to see, but we could everything from the room.

Yes, I'm sure the balcony King rooms have a better view of the firworks (not having to be creative with the windows), but the wraparound views and the huge room (700+ square feet, including walk-in closet) made up for it.

But, I have to note, there are 6 octagon rooms, three have our view, three are more forward facing and can't see the castle. If you look at the map on the front page of this thread, we were above the "16", and the other three are above the "20".

Highly recommend!

psac - Thanks for your post!:goodvibes We've stayed in 4021 (oddly, the fifth floor isn't designated with "5" but with "0"), and really love the location as well. We've often wondered if the rooms directly below also had the castle view. Too bad the trees obscured part of it, but it sounds like you had a great view anyway.

BCV23 - :wave2: Thanks for the info!

KAC'SMom and BCV23: Thanks for the great info! I think that's still a great view you posted from CK even with just seeing a part of the building and CK looks pretty darn close to Gaspies. We stayed POR last year and we were sooooo far from the main lobby building. By the end of the week I was telling myself it was worth it to stay at a resort that wasn't as big as the state of Florida itself! I do the refillable mugs and fill up on the way in and out so I'd like to be close for that reason. I'm thinking I'll just request either Sago or Conch with a marina view and be happy with either.

BCV23, yeah I'm with you on the boats...I'm so not into it. I like sitting and watching them but not so much actually doing it myself!

Just had to share that my secret is still safe!! Our WDW trip documents came in today. DH actually got to the mail before me, but since we booked our trip through DU, our WDW documents came from my DU agent so the envelope didn't say "Disney World" so DH didn't open it. When I got home, I opened it at the kitchen counter while he was in the living room, pulled out the luggage tags and pretended like that was all that was in the package. The rest (the stuff about the room and package) I stuck in my shirt and went to the bathroom and hid it in my closet! LOL! Operation GF Surprise is still in action! Woo Hoo!!

DisneyFreak06, after being on this thread for a few weeks, I'm also getting a bit nervous about NOT making a request! But like I said, we've never made a request before and have never been disappointed so I think we'll just see what happens.

I think what's making me nervous is that so many people are talking about putting room requests in. I'm just going to leave it be, let Disney Magic take care of me! I'm staying at the GF, :cloud9: I don't think I could be dissappointed!

Missed this yesterday, sorry! You are absolutely right, you'll be at the Grand - I doubt you'll be disappointed. Many people go without a request, no worries. And if by some chance you do get a room you are not happy with, simply call or return to the front desk and ask for a different room.:goodvibes

GFSurprise - I'm so glad your stay is still a secret.:wizard:

dizneedoll - The view from Conch Key is lovely, and you aren't much farther away from Gasparilla's than Sago. There's a back door from the Conch lobby on the marina side. It will be great for your plan to fill up on the way to the parks - you can head on out to either the main building and monorail, or out the path to the bus stop. Do you see the walkway between the main building and Sago in that photo? Very easy.

parqueen - we haven't been in Mizner's, but it looks very nice and you can hear the music in the evenings. If you go to page 8, post #118 of this thread, Mike48 posted a great photo of Mizner's.

minniesota - if you're reading, when I was scrolling through photos the last day or so, I saw all yours at the beginning of the thread - you've posted some beautiful photos! It looks like we're right there.:goodvibes What kind of camera do you use?

minniesota - if you're reading, when I was scrolling through photos the last day or so, I saw all yours at the beginning of the thread - you've posted some beautiful photos! It looks like we're right there.:goodvibes What kind of camera do you use?

Thanks!:cloud9: It's funny you asked that because I usually shoot with my Nikon D40 but the trip in January (from which the photos at the beginning of the thread were taken) were all shot with a new compact my Dh gave me for Christmas. It's a Canon PowerShot SX200 IS. I'm still playing with it (and won't give up the Nikon) but I love the portability of it!

Just had to share that my secret is still safe!! Our WDW trip documents came in today. DH actually got to the mail before me, but since we booked our trip through DU, our WDW documents came from my DU agent so the envelope didn't say "Disney World" so DH didn't open it. When I got home, I opened it at the kitchen counter while he was in the living room, pulled out the luggage tags and pretended like that was all that was in the package. The rest (the stuff about the room and package) I stuck in my shirt and went to the bathroom and hid it in my closet! LOL! Operation GF Surprise is still in action! Woo Hoo!!

DisneyFreak06, after being on this thread for a few weeks, I'm also getting a bit nervous about NOT making a request! But like I said, we've never made a request before and have never been disappointed so I think we'll just see what happens.

That is just too funny! :lmao: The sticking in your shirt thing is hilarious! Its like you are doing like a OPERATION GRAND FLORIDIAN secret agent thing!

Glad its still a surprise and keep us posted on it! :cheer2:

Thanks!:cloud9: It's funny you asked that because I usually shoot with my Nikon D40 but the trip in January (from which the photos at the beginning of the thread were taken) were all shot with a new compact my Dh gave me for Christmas. It's a Canon PowerShot SX200 IS. I'm still playing with it (and won't give up the Nikon) but I love the portability of it!

Do you love your Nikon D40? I have the Nikon D3000, and i LOVE LOVE IT, but I still use my Kodak power shot because its tiny and like you said, portable. :)

GFSurprise Great that it's still a surprise. Let us all know how it turns out, because that's just so special.

We will be rebels and not make a request, and we will LOVE what we get, I'm sure! ;)

Hi everyone! I have a question about the GF Pirate Cruise.

My kids are booked on an upcoming cruise in just a few days, but I'm wondering where exactly at the GF this cruise takes place. The info I keep finding mentions the GF dock - I can't seem to locate this on any online maps. We've only been inside the GF once - to eat at 1900 PF. Can anyone give me an idea of where to go for the cruise?

Thanks so much for your replies!!

My kids are booked on an upcoming cruise in just a few days, but I'm wondering where exactly at the GF this cruise takes place. The info I keep finding mentions the GF dock - I can't seem to locate this on any online maps. We've only been inside the GF once - to eat at 1900 PF. Can anyone give me an idea of where to go for the cruise?

Their boat dock is located by Gasparilla's Grill & Games and it's easy to find. Walk outside the doors that are located by the Grand Floridian Cafe and a DVC info desk, turn left and when you see Gasparilla's there will also be some outside tables just past them is their boat dock.

My kids did that cruise last Tuesday from the GF... they really liked it. As PP mentioned, the marina where the pirate boat is docked is right outside of Gasparilla Grill and Games. You'll need to check them in at the desk. Can't miss it. Hope they have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter