• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - APRIL 2010

bytheblood - I hope someone can help with Christmas photos.

Mamu - :welcome: I don't know, either!!;)

GFSurprise - yes, each building has its own laundry area, except for Sugar Loaf. I've forgotten which category you have booked, but the main building has a small laundry area on the 2nd floor; the other buildings have their laundry rooms on the first floor. Each one has about 2 washers and 2 dryers. Cost is $2/load to wash and $2/cycle to dry - you'll need quarters, but there are change machines. If they are out of order, you can get quarters from the concierge or front desk.

It usually takes me 2 cycles to get my clothes dry, whichever resort I'm visiting.:rolleyes: Oh, and if you don't bring your own soap, it's $2 per box (1 load) for that as well.

The GF does have valet laundry, you'll find a bag and laundry list hanging in the closet. Just pick up the phone and call housekeeping, they'll send someone to fetch your laundry. If you get it ready by 8:30 a.m., it will be returned by 6:00 p.m. same day. Otherwise, it will be the following day. Here is a price list:

Shirts - $5.50
Pants - $6.50
Socks - $2.00
Undershorts/Panties - $2.00
T-shirts - $4.50
Sweatsuit - $7.50
PJs - $6.00
Undershirts/bras - $2.00
Handkerchiefs - $2.00
Blouses - $5.50
Slips - $4.50
Nightgowns - $6.00
Tennis Shorts - $5.00
Knit Shirt - $5.00

If anything needs special handling, there will be an extra charge, and dry cleaning is a separate price list.

Cheryl592000 - I hate to hear that you've been going so long, without ever getting a discount. Not only are there discount pins, there are AAA discounts, Annual Passholder discounts, Disney Visa discounts and sometimes general public discount codes. You are not guaranteed any of these discounts, but if they are available for your dates, you have a good chance of getting one. I've been going since the mid-nineties, and have only gone a couple of times without a discount of some sort.

Since your trip is so far out, you won't find a discount at this time for your next trip. However, as your date approaches, there could be something available for you. Researching how to find the discounts in the meantime will help maximize your chance of snagging a great rate.

Head over to the "Disney Discount Codes & Rates" forum, at the top of the Resorts board, for lots of info on the various discount codes. Here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

You can also check out mousesavers.com for great info on WDW discounts.

Good luck!

Brizite76 - I have some photos of a deluxe king turret room, and the views. It is prior to the recent renovations, I'll go find them and post in a bit.

Handbag Lady - sounds like a great way to decide where you'd like to request. I love looking at photos of the various rooms and their views, and of the resort in general.:goodvibes

LOL about the blue flashy cubes!

dizneedoll - isn't it irritating that you can't find a fan in the winter? My DH has to have a fan to sleep, and when the darn things quit, you have to hunt the world over to find one.:headache:

Thanks for the tips for inviting those elusive pin codes.;)

Brizite76 - casajump posted some photos of a newer king deluxe turret room, on page 8. There are some great photos of the view from over Gasparilla's posted on page 5 by minniesota - these are not of the king deluxe views, but they would be comparable, since they are on the second floor in the same area.

Here are the photos of our view from a king deluxe turret room, it is one of the only turret rooms with a view of the castle. For some reason, we only took photos at night - not sure why, we were there for 7 days, sheesh.:blush:

Courtyard:
2006ChristmasWDW068.jpg

Themed pool:
2006ChristmasWDW069.jpg

Over the beach, across the lagoon to the Poly; the window was a bit fogged, and we didn't get a great photo:
2006ChristmasWDW070.jpg

Brizite76 - casajump posted some photos of a newer king deluxe turret room, on page 8. There are some great photos of the view from over Gasparilla's posted on page 5 by minniesota - these are not of the king deluxe views, but they would be comparable, since they are on the second floor in the same area.

Here are the photos of our view from a king deluxe turret room, it is one of the only turret rooms with a view of the castle. For some reason, we only took photos at night - not sure why, we were there for 7 days, sheesh.:blush:

Thanks for taking the time to post these! I like that view, very pretty :)

I'm going to check out page 5 and 8 to see those pics too!

I keep hearing about these pins. How do you get them? :confused3 I have never received any type of discount anything and we have been staying inside Disney for almost 20 yrs. Since we will be staying at the GF Sugar Loaf CL in a couple of years it would be nice to save some money. :wizard: Any info would be appreciated.

10 Steps to a Pin:

After about a week (could be anywhere from 5-10 days or more) you will hopefully get an email saying thanks for using my vacation and here's a pin code to save if you stay with us. These are the steps I did for two different email account profiles with Disney and I got pin offers on both.

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: following these methods does not guarantee you will receive a pin and I absolve myself from any liability if this method should fail to produce the desired results :rotfl:[/COLOR]

:rotfl: Don't worry Cheryl59200, Dizneedoll and I are experts at the pin codes (or not). I guess we really really wanted to stay at the GF for the first time :yay: I can't wait

Does anyone know what's better for 5 nights a 40% off code or free dining? We booked GV, DDP for two first week of September. Rumors are flying about free dining.

parqueen - you'll probably have to work the numbers, to see what is best for your family. In general, the more expensive the resort, the more likely that the percentage off the room is the better deal. ETA: - except when you have a larger family, that can make a difference.

For instance, for your week, rack rate for a garden view room is $410+ tax. At 40% off, you'll get a $164/day discount. The regular dining plan is *I think* $41.99/per person, right? So, if you got that for free, it would be an $84/day discount.

My adult DD and I often go alone, and we always take the room discount - we come out way ahead.

Thanks to all for the info in this thread. I'm surpising DH with 2 nights at the GF after our AKV Concierge stay next week. He is the one who's often mentioned he'd like to stay at the GF, not me! So we'll be there on Friday and Saturday May 14, and 15. I just booked a Garden View room, but we're hoping to catch the shuttle launch in Titusville on the 14th, and then I hope we can just enjoy the resort. We have ADRs for Citricos on Saturday night.

Any things you suggest we must do? We've eaten at 1900 Park Fare, and the Grand Floridian Cafe, had drinks at Mizner's and visited at Christmas time. I'm hoping to enjoy the music in the main lobby and visit some of the shops.

TIA for ideas!

Thanks to all for the info in this thread. I'm surpising DH with 2 nights at the GF after our AKV Concierge stay next week. He is the one who's often mentioned he'd like to stay at the GF, not me! So we'll be there on Friday and Saturday May 14, and 15. I just booked a Garden View room, but we're hoping to catch the shuttle launch in Titusville on the 14th, and then I hope we can just enjoy the resort. We have ADRs for Citricos on Saturday night.

Any things you suggest we must do? We've eaten at 1900 Park Fare, and the Grand Floridian Cafe, had drinks at Mizner's and visited at Christmas time. I'm hoping to enjoy the music in the main lobby and visit some of the shops.

TIA for ideas!

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestrucCitrico's!:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Disbug1 - Yes, I think they do have NYE activities at the GF. I've not been there at that time, but others have, so hopefully someone can fill you in. I think BCV23 mentioned that they don't always give out details of what is planned until right beforehand, to make it more magical.

HFC1969 - :wave: Right back atcha! Small world - we are in west central Missouri, in a rural area, but my sister lives in Wentzville. She spent many years in St. Charles, until her girls grew up and moved out; she moved out to Wentzville about 2 years ago.

dgaston - Welcome! Hey, we are doing the same thing! Starting our next trip at AKL CL, then moving to the GF for the bulk of our stay. Good luck on the shuttle launch, I hope it goes off on schedule. We've seen a couple from the parks or the road near WDW, it's still quite a sight even from that distance.

You've mentioned some of our favorite things already; we love Narcoossee's and Citricos, both are wonderful. Love the GF Cafe for breakfast and lunch, although we never seem to make it there for dinner. We enjoy visiting the other monorail resorts for shopping, having a drink or meals - especially Kona for breakfast or lunch and Cali Grill for dinner.

Hanging out at the pool is one of our favorite activities. Grabbing a chair, getting a drink and just taking in the resort is the best - so relaxing! We also like going to Gasparilla's for a water or a snack, and sitting outside looking at the castle. Just wandering the grounds is nice, and we like relaxing in the lobby and chatting. There are lots of little nooks around the lobby, we like to explore and find things we've never noticed before.

Afternoon tea is always a must, and every guy we've taken there has loved it, too, we see men there quite often. ETA: - I got kind of carried away, I think a better description would be "every guy has enjoyed it, too" rather than loved it. I laughed when I read what I'd written.:laughing:

Spa treatments are very nice, if you are into that kind of thing.

Um...oh, renting Sea Raycers is a blast! Those little boats don't really go all that fast, but when you are on the water, it seems like they do! Fun. You each need your own boat, though, more than one adult (or even good-sized child) bogs it down, lol.

Have a great time, I know you're gonna love the Grand!:cloud9:

Does anyone know what's better for 5 nights a 40% off code or free dining? We booked GV, DDP for two first week of September. Rumors are flying about free dining.

The pin code would definetly save you more if there's only 2 adults in your party.

DH and I really want to stay at GF. We got a 40% off pin however there's no rooms left at GF for our pin. We booked Poly for now but I'm waiting for the AP deals to come out for Nov/Dec so hopefully we can stay at GF.

i always just book the hotel of my choice and then call and have them credit the AP discount when they come out. i have not had a problem with this. Otherwise, you may end up not getting the room of your choice at GF.

nicoleakr - :welcome: Isn't the GF great?!:cloud9:

DisneyFreak06 - What, specifically, is it that you worry about regarding your room? Perhaps if we know, someone here can help you feel a bit better. As GFSurprise said, there are very few rooms that have a bad view, so it's highly likely that you will get a great room.:flower3:

I think what's making me nervous is that so many people are talking about putting room requests in. I'm just going to leave it be, let Disney Magic take care of me! I'm staying at the GF, :cloud9: I don't think I could be dissappointed!

Well, free dining is here. For us, the 40% off is a much better deal though. We are only 1 adult (that's me...well most of the time anyways;)) and my DS4, so we are saving $163 a night with the pin vs. $54 a night for the DDP for both of us. It makes sense for us to pay for the DDP and take the room discount. Every situation is different though, you have to do your Disney math to find out what will work for you. :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter