The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - APRIL 2010

I changed our ressies this wk to GF instead of Poly. I thought it would be more "Christmas-y" and it wasn't a big difference in price. Now, back to the compulsive overplanning....

Dave-you've taken some of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen of the Grand.

*The pirate cruise in located at the marina. Have your little one visit the restroom in the main building before boarding.

Lori

Evad - (cute username, btw) What gorgeous photos of the GF!! Did you manipulate the colors with software, or is that just as you shot them?

minniesota - since you have a dSLR, I'm guessing that you set all the settings on the SX200 yourself, which means the user had as much to do with the photos as the camera.;) I'm looking for a new PnS, but I'm not very advanced, so can't figure out which gives me the most bang for the buck.

Tommys Mommy - Welcome!:goodvibes As everyone has said, head to Gasparilla's and you'll see the marina. If you'd like to place it on a map beforehand: if you look at the map on page 1 of this thread, there's a black and white number 28 near the top, in the center of the map, behind Sugar Loaf and Conch Key buildings. That's where the shack is for the boat rentals, and where the pirate ship is docked. minniesota has some marina photos on page 8 of this thread, if you'd like to take a look.

Cibahwewah - :welcome: The GF is certainly beautiful at Christmas! You are gonna love it!

Hi! Just wanted to share that finally all our plans for our upcoming trip are done:banana: My family and I were originally booked for the Poly in Nov. of this year but I decided to move the trip up and go in May. Well the week I chose was the 22-29 so I booked and moved to the GF Sugarloaf. I contacted the IPO and they were getting our ressies. Then my husband told me his boss said he could not get that week off:scared1: So I have been scrambling to modify everything and have done it with the help of the IPO:worship: So we are now booked for May 29-June 5 our first GF trip. I am so excited. I just had to share:)

Early morning from the monorail:

IMG_0490-1.jpg

Beautiful photo, Mosca, looks like a postcard!

Congratulations, monorail girl!! Sorry that you had that moment of panic, but I'm so happy for you that IPO was able to help get things rearranged.:goodvibes

Evad - Great shots - I've seen those before! :thumbsup2 We're on the Magic together in October!:dance3:

k&a&c'smom - Actually, I am more comfortable with my Nikon D40 and play around with manual settings. With the Canon PowerShot, I just point and shoot. All those pics at the start of the thread were shot in AUTO. I used to use a Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS for PNS and it is tiny! Slips in the pocket with ease. It has a 3X zoom. DH thought I'd enjoy more features so bought me the SX200. It is definitely bigger/heavier and has a 12x zoom with an image stabilizer as well as 12.1 megapixels. I can't slip it in my pocket but I have been happier with the quality so far. :hippie:

BamaTigger - I do love my Nikon! I didn't bring it in January since I just got the Canon for Christmas. A D3000 - lucky you!:thumbsup2

BamaTigger LOL! I will reveal my true identity after my mission is complete since "GFSurprise" is my secret agent code name. ;) Sometimes I go to reply to this thread and almost forget to log out of my normal DIS name..close call!

Evad and Mosca, like I wasn't excited enough for our trip!! Those pictures are beautiful!!

DisneyFreak06, I'll let you know what we end up with. At least if the "no requests" plan doesn't work out for us, you have time to make requests!!

Cibahwewah, my compulsive planning has left me with nothing to do a month out from our trip! LOL! I keep trying to think of something to do/plan, but I've done and planned it all! I actually stumbled upon a thread talking about ride max and debated purchasing it just to give me something to do for our trip even though we never plan our every move like that!

k&a&c'smom, thanks for the laundry info. I'll probably just do a load myself. I can't imagine the laundry room is very busy, especially at the GF.

Just changed my ressie from Poly to the GF for the end of this month! Where can I find more photos of the buildings and interiors (besides allears)? We are staying GV and I can't wait! Particularly looking for good pics of the slide! My DS5 will be so excited. I'm also surprising my husband with the resort change... I wonder how long I'll be able to keep it hush!

Jasmine12 - :welcome: How exciting that you'll be heading to the Grand so soon.:goodvibes

Have you looked at the Resort Photo forum? It's at the top of this board, and there are several GF photo threads on there. There are also some photos at the beginning of this thread, running throughout but quite a few in the first 10-15 pages. Not sure if there are slide photos, though.

GFSurprise - The laundry rooms are rarely full, even though there are only 2 washers/2 dryers in each. We almost never have to wait.

minniesota - thanks for the info! We love the Canon Powershot cameras, I've been debating either the SD780 IS or the SD940 IS - now, I have to throw the SX200 in the mix! ;) It is nice to have manual settings if you need them.

Just changed my ressie from Poly to the GF for the end of this month! Where can I find more photos of the buildings and interiors (besides allears)? We are staying GV and I can't wait! Particularly looking for good pics of the slide! My DS5 will be so excited. I'm also surprising my husband with the resort change... I wonder how long I'll be able to keep it hush!

touringplans.com has some good photos of the GF and they also have some video of the rooms too.

Thanks so much! I will check out those pages. I'm a member to touringplans, so I'm familiar with the site. Last yr at the Poly, my DH caught me starrrring across the bay. Not that I didn't adore the Poly, but the "grand" stature of the GF is truly breathtaking. I will be sure to take up the private photo session again this year!

Jasmine12 - the Grand does look beautiful from across the lagoon, doesn't it?!:cloud9:

GFSurprise - the EWP starts at the Poly at 9 and should be in front of the GF around 9:15. Here's what allearsnet has to say about the schedule:

Although the pageant generally follows the schedule below, check with the Guest Services Desk at your Magic Kingdom Resort for times during your stay. Inclement weather can cause cancellation of the pageant.

Polynesian Resort -- 9 p.m.
Grand Floridian -- 9:15 p.m.
Wilderness Lodge -- 9:35 p.m.
Fort Wilderness -- 9:45 p.m.
Contemporary Resort -- 10:05 p.m.
Magic Kingdom -- 10:20 p.m. (only during extended MK park
hours)

Note that when the Magic Kingdom Fireworks are scheduled for 9 p.m., the Electrical Water Pageant runs about 7-20 minutes later.

k&a&c'smom, Thanks! I did see that on All Ears, but couldn't tell if that was for 10pm Wishes. We watched it once when we stayed at the WL, but that was back in 2006 and I can't remember if the water pageant started before or after the fireworks. This thread is so helpful!!

GFSurprise, those times are generally followed no matter what time Wishes is scheduled with the noted exception of 9pm Wishes. Can't wait to find out who you are. :surfweb: Congrats on keeping your secret.

Who is going to the GF in May? :grouphug:

We are!!!!!

Back to WDW so soon, BCV23 princess: ?? You crack me up :rotfl: Lucky girl!

We will be at BC this month :woohoo: So excited!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter