The adventures of Tiggerdad (A collection of camping locations, mishaps, reviews, alterations, food, and whatever else I can find)

We did test drive a fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was VERY impressed with how it handled. Definitely better than I thought, but good Lord. đź’µ

We rented one when we went to get Penny in NC. They are all mad $$$$ new nowdays!

We still could use the 3rd row seat or trunk space for another couple years when we head to PA to visit her parents. She has no interest in a car, she likes her field of view in the higher vehicle. Now my goal is also to get her to be comfortable with the dually in case she ever needs to drive it. She has already said she has zero interest in learning how to tow the trailer. "You have friends, we can find a way if it came down to that."

We rented one when we went to get Penny in NC. They are all mad $$$$ new nowdays!

We still could use the 3rd row seat or trunk space for another couple years when we head to PA to visit her parents. She has no interest in a car, she likes her field of view in the higher vehicle. Now my goal is also to get her to be comfortable with the dually in case she ever needs to drive it. She has already said she has zero interest in learning how to tow the trailer. "You have friends, we can find a way if it came down to that."
Yeah, my wife says she'll fly one of my Dis friends to wherever we are to pull trailer home if something happens to me.

Yeah, my wife says she'll fly one of my Dis friends to wherever we are to pull trailer home if something happens to me.
Exactly my plan but i do try and drive it a little bit. It has been a while so i am going to have to do it again soon. Right now i just stick with driving in the rest area. I am ok if i am going 30 mph but going over 50 is scary.

In these last 3 posts it sounds like a great number of us are in the same boat. I had Lucille take the Driver Confidence Course while it was offered at Lazy Days and her response was, "I did it once I'm not doing it again!" Though I do admit that when she realized how sick I really was on the way home in Jan 2020 she admits she started to play back everything she could remember from that course. While I was in the hospital she enrolled us in a plan that will send a driver to get her and the rig home if something happens.

She has already said she has zero interest in learning how to tow the trailer. "You have friends, we can find a way if it came down to that."
I had Lucille take the Driver Confidence Course while it was offered at Lazy Days and her response was, "I did it once I'm not doing it again!"
At least all your significant others have a plan to get the rig home. My DW says she'll either leave it where ever it is or sell it as it sits.

There may be a little hope though. She would never consider driving the truck and trailer, but she did drive the new coach in a parking lot... Even had the trailer/Explorer connected. She said it wasn't bad, but she didn't get over 15 mph and just made some big circles up and down the lanes.

It's a start. I may see if she'll try it on the highway from a rest stop to the next. It really would be nice to have someone split up some of the driving on our longer days.

j

I had both Lori and Katie drive it around in a parking lot and they did fine. But Lori keeps reminding me that when we got it she said there were two things she wouldn't do... Empty the black tank and drive. That being said she has driven it several miles on a past Florida trip. She did fine, but was very happy to relinquish the wheel. The second time was in really heavy stop and go traffic where I had to run back and get rid of a bunch of coffee. I was back after a couple of stop and go's.
She also took the Lazy Days course and did just fine, but still has no desire to take an actual turn at the wheel and let me sit in the recliner and play with my phone.

@Stratman50th would you really play on your phone or would you be just as stressed sitting in the passenger seat? i do know it helps take some stress off, but when i drive anything it usually stresses bert out. Now he has slept when i have driven the rav on the trips back and forth to ohio, but i dont think there is a snowball chance in you know where that he would sleep while i drive the rig.

@Stratman50th would you really play on your phone or would you be just as stressed sitting in the passenger seat? i do know it helps take some stress off, but when i drive anything it usually stresses bert out. Now he has slept when i have driven the rav on the trips back and forth to ohio, but i dont think there is a snowball chance in you know where that he would sleep while i drive the rig.
I believe you're probably right Kris. I will say sometimes I wouldn't mind a little break though, but yes, I'd be watching pretty closely. I think I would relax some as she got a few miles under her belt.

I should teach my daughter how to drive, lol. Shes 9. Maybe i can get a break. Tbh. It never occurred to me on what whould happen if i cant drive. I dont have a back up option. And she isnt a viable option right now. So i will not think about it.

I would be more stressed. Teresa is an excellent driver and would do fine behind the wheel of the truck pulling the camper. Its just that when I am in / on any moving vehicle, I like to be the one behind the wheel.

Steve

I always drove our Wildcat 5th wheel when the sun came out when leaving "The Fort" until it went night or rain. Normally until close to Baton Rouge. I love driving that RV. Have only driven the Toy Hauler one time & it was only about an hour. Before Arnold got so sick, he was going to let me drive more & guide me to pull into gas stops or night stops.

I always drove our Wildcat 5th wheel when the sun came out when leaving "The Fort"
Nice job Gloria!

I think you would find the toy hauler wasn't much different than your Wildcat. Length matters, but it just takes a bit to readjust to the difference in length and weight.

j

At least all your significant others have a plan to get the rig home. My DW says she'll either leave it where ever it is or sell it as it sits.

That's DW's plan! She was willing to pull our 21' hybrid in and out of rest areas on the interstate (right lane the whole time), but she never ventured beyond that. Once we moved up to our 25' tt, she was done. If I can't make the drive, neither can the trailer!

Thank you, Teamubr - When I know my finances are hanging in great, I plan on getting a small RV so I can go out with our Methodist camping group. All I am doing now is travel on Fridays where they are camping & spend the day with them. Next week will be only 20 miles from me, so I will drove over Wed thru Sat. to spend time with the group. One of these days will surprise y'all & pull or slide into camp with all of you.

That's DW's plan! She was willing to pull our 21' hybrid in and out of rest areas on the interstate (right lane the whole time), but she never ventured beyond that. Once we moved up to our 25' tt, she was done. If I can't make the drive, neither can the trailer!
Hey I resemble that post, whats wrong with the right lane :teeth:

Thank you, Teamubr - When I know my finances are hanging in great, I plan on getting a small RV so I can go out with our Methodist camping group. All I am doing now is travel on Fridays where they are camping & spend the day with them. Next week will be only 20 miles from me, so I will drove over Wed thru Sat. to spend time with the group. One of these days will surprise y'all & pull or slide into camp with all of you.
Looking forward to it

Finally got camper back from dealer yesterday. So now my prep for the Dismeet can begin.

I had one empty propane bottle so I got it filled today and got all windows open. It hasn't had fresh air in 3 months.
20210522_145648.jpg

I did get started on a project I've been wanting to do for a while now.

My outdoor kitchen has a drawer for utensils and a pull out gas grill. As a side note, the grill is decorated on the end. On the left is a Jayco themed bottle opener. On the right is a mystery magnet. Funny thing, when I arrived at FW in Oct for last Dismeet the magnet wasn't there. When I left, it was. :scratchin
20210521_170047.jpg

20210521_170033.jpg

Okay, this grill is near useless. only big enough for two steaks or 4 pieces of chicken. As you can see, I've never used it. Never will either. I'm no fan of open flame grill attached to a camper with popping grease getting all over the rig. So I decided to remove it.
20210522_105900.jpg

This left an empty shell.
20210521_171435.jpg

Looking at it I noticed it has a metal lip turned in on 3 sides and open at rear. This is looking from rear of the drawer.
20210521_171447.jpg

Hhmmmm...gears a clicking...

Last edited:
So I had some scrap 1/2" plywood laying around.
20210522_100125.jpg

So I cut a piece to fit snug inside over the metal lips. Another smaller strip to put on the end to close it in.
20210522_102851.jpg

20210522_104540.jpg

Painted the wood black and used small screws to attach from bottom, and I got another drawer to store stuff in!
20210522_191757.jpg

I gotta round up some of that drawer lining material to put in bottom. If I can find some black or dark gray that is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter