The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

That's houses. Restaurants, location doesn't matter. Decor doesn't matter. It's all about the food.
If it's crap, I don't care how well you dress it up. It's still crap.

Hmmm, well, if I don't want to lose a LOT of park time, I'm not going to go to EPCOT for dinner if I'm, say, at AK. But I'd choose Tiffins over Tusker any day. So, to some degree, I guess I'd agree, the menu comes first, but location does play into the decisions somewhat.

What???? When did this happen???

I remember you talking about the mushroom soup and had hoped to see for myself some day. :(

It was announced a couple of weeks ago. :guilty:

Sad.

Holy crap!!!! What an amazing shot!!!!!

Thanks! And on a P&S no less.

Whoa. That sounds.... awesome.

Looking forward to it a lot!

Why on Earth not?!?!??!?
You say that everything starts at 10pm and you've been waiting for years.... and you're not going to stay????

Just no time this year. Early AM and don't want to burn the candle at both ends this time.

No way!!!! Way to go!! That's great!!! :goodvibes

I'll let you know how the lesson next weekend goes.

On my phone, so multiquoting is difficult.

I sooooo get that!

I cancelled my ADR for Narcoosees because of not gotten great feedback concerning quality for price.

Bummer! I know that @glennbo123 has had several (2?) great meals there so want to someday try it. This time Citricos will have to fit the bill.

Amen on Tiffins. I cannot say enough about it. Definitely my favorite. I have never been to sanna, boma or jiko. Hoping to correct that in Jan.

2 years ago we had lined up the AKL Trifecta, but I completely spaced Sanaa. Remedying that this year. I'm done with Jiko for now, but it IS wonderful. If you want to hit up Jiko, I'd recommend the Wanyama Tour cuz Jiko is included.

Ive heard the bacon at Edison is worth the trip. I'm not a big burlesque or cabaret person, but might at least try it out once...again probably in Jan.

I'm not sure what I'll end up getting, but am sure looking forward the to the theming!

I had an ADR for the plaza, but I didn't see the Mac & cheese with brisket. Can't remember if I ended up canceling withthe idea we'd do QS instead. Seems like I was thinking the fried green tomato sandwich for DW.

I think they've revamped or updated their menu recently. I hadn't see the mac and cheese until recently either. And yes, I HAVE heard of the Fried Green Tomato Sammie and might consider that. Hmm...

Don't think I knew about Tuttos wine cellar. Might have to look into that.

I think it might be the up and coming La Cava. La Cava has become to popular now for its own good and is almost not worth trying to get into. I'll let you know on Tutto.

Didn't know about artist point...that sucks. I like buffets some, but the character ones are way overpriced and typically not so great food.

WAY overpriced. But I do get it that young families and character nuts (meant in a loved way!!) want that. Just not my cup of tea.

Checking in 2 weeks from today. 14 days!!!

You're almost there!!!

New for us...Garden grove(cove?), yak & yeti, MNSSHP, mama melrose's, F&W, coral reef and the wave

You have a ton on there that's new. Good for you! I think it's worth waiting for an upstairs table at Y&Y. FWIW.

I've read a lot of positive reviews of The Plaza lately, so I think that's a smart idea since late night food is needed.

I hope my strategy works. I do know I want to try some other things later that night (MUST have my Casey Nuggets) like maybe one of the party treats and some other snacks.

And you're right, I haven't heard many people walk away from Sanaa unhappy.

Sometimes a place can go downhill after it's established, but it doesn't look that that's happened here. Looking forward to going back for the first time since 2010.

I'm right there with you on the Edison!!! I've been wanting to visit it since it opened. My favorite book of all time is the Great Gatsby and I got so excited when they created that Gatsby night at the location. Man, I'm already waiting to see the pictures you're going to come away with from the inside!

I SAW THAT!! And wanted to go so badly! I hope my photos from in there turn out; dark can be dicey.

I'm looking forward to your review of The Edison. Considered it for the last trip but didn't have the time so keeping it on the list for next time!

I think I'm looking forward to Cali Brunch and the Edison most. Looking forward to doing reviews on both!

So exciting to see your countdown! A coworker is counting down to her trip in a month, and I am jealous - as soon as my holidays are confirmed at work I will have to start my next research and planning gig. Thought of you tonight when I was watching the livestream of the Boo To You parade!

Hi Donna! :D

Yes, time for you to plan again! To me that's part of the trip.

Awww, yes, I did click on the link and watched a bit. Not all of it, but enough to get me very excited to see in just a few weeks!

Countdown Photo of the Day:

This is an amazing shot!
Countdown Photo of the Day:

My little princess friend I made on the way to V&A in 2016. Perhaps my very favorite photo from Disney.

Awe this one is just precious! I hope she always feels like a princess.

The kids have seen their fair share of animals but the Galapagos are the most visible and vocal. The older ones of course now understand and just look at me rolling their eyes. it worked for them when they were little. It's better than some of the comments I have heard from other people over the years about how disgusting that is and they shouldn't be doing things like that in the open where children can see it.

Really, someone should tell those animals to get a room! :rotfl2:That's like the deer crossing joke where the lady tells them not to post it because the deer shouldn't be crossing there.:confused3

only to find 7 Dwarfs and a Buffet (#greatbandname)

:laughing:

I know this is expensive for what I will probably end up eating, but that view! That elegance! The variety! I'm super looking forward to the unlimited mimosas, the Eggs Benedict, the Vanilla Bean French Toast, the charcuterie, and a hundred other amazing items available.

Yes!! The location and ambiance absolutely make this meal! Nathan recommends the chicken and waffles (though I don't seem to see it on the menu now...) Other than that, we weren't enthused about the entrees (though we didn't have the french toast OR the Eggs Bennie.) But the atmosphere, service, and the buffet selections were fantastic!! (Esp. deviled eggs, the sushi options, and honeycomb slathered on pretty much anything!)

Sanaa is another ADR I have lined up. This is a place I've only been to once... way back about the time it opened up. I rarely, even after all these years, hear a less than glowing review. I have seen the occasional slow service comment, but every place has that from time to time, and I'm not in a hurry anyway. I'm there for the food. And I am happy to wait for a window table too. One of my favorite Disney photos was from here, so it's worth the wait for the view.

Yay!! This has become a staple favourite for us.

Crazy%20bird-M.jpg

Oh my goodness! Funny and beautiful photo.

the one I've been looking forward to most for literally YEARS... The Edison.

Ooh, I'm interested to hear your review of this one.

This year, I'm hitting up Citricos and am looking forward to some elegant dining.

Excited to hear this! Citricos seriously won us over when we went. Much more so than Narcoossee's, interestingly enough.

Another must-do for the last several trips is Tiffins. It's quite possibly my favorite restaurant for many reasons including ambiance, food, and service...

Mmmmmmm Tiffins....

Did I tell you guys that I flew last weekend and....

GOT TO BE ON THE CONTROLS FOR TAKEOFF AND LANDING?!

I am learning!!

Oh my goodness, congrats, Liesa! That's so exciting!

Mmmmmmm Tiffins....
Ditto! My thoughts exactly....well, maybe not exactly, but mmmm was definitely in there. :lmao:

Oh my goodness, congrats, Liesa! That's so exciting!
[/quote]
Yeah, now that I'm on a decent computer and can quote or mutli-quote without an act of congress, CONGRATS Liesa! Cool deal!

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-10_8-41-24.png
    upload_2018-9-10_8-41-24.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
Case in point... Artist Point to be exact, will no longer be what it once was soon. (I hate that by the way.) If I'd gone and was looking for the beloved Mushroom Soup, only to find 7 Dwarfs and a Buffet (#greatbandname), I'd have been... I'll use the family friendly term, "upset".

I seem to remembert hat the announcement was that it will be a set meal, not a buffet. So I could imagine the mushroom soup being part of that... But I do agree that it would be not the same as what it was and I am very sad about it.

I promise to give each one a fair and thorough review when I get back. Lots of pix, k?

Looking forward to it!

The other new places (TS) just don't appeal, but maybe because I've not seen very many reviews yet. Anywho, after looking at Morimoto's menu, I 100% cannot choose a single item that I am dying to try because it ALL looks good!

I loved my meal at the Boathouse, food was great, service was great and if you go for a little walk through the outside part they have some really cool vintage boats parked there. Looking at the boats is possible even if you are not eating there I think. Michael has eaten at Morimoto's a few times and he always really liked it! It's a shame that you are missing Orlando Magical Dining Month by being there in October, not September. A number of the DTD restaurants have some really nice offers for that!

Another ADR is the Sunday Brunch at Cali.

Ah! We have one for our next trip. I am still not totally decided if I want to spend that much money on brunch since we are currently saving for a big trip to Hawaii, so will be interested in your opinion a lot!

Has anyone else tried this one?

I remember being totally shocked by the prices when the Tuto Gusto Wine Cellar first opened. So I have never been that interested in it. But I have heard good things about it! And I just looked at the menu and thought that those paninis might make a nice relaxed lunch at Epcot... Looking forward to hearing a current review on it!

Lovely, lovely picture!!! Sanaa is really a great place. I only have eaten there once so far, but we have a reservation there for lunch on our last day of the trip with Michael's CM friend and she usually gets a nice discount there, so that makes it even greater!! It was one of two restaurants that I had put on the list as a must eat for our upcoming trip (the other was a date night at Flying Fish).

On my party day I have an ADR at the Plaza.

Good reasoning! That would be a new restaurant for me as well. We had thought about it for this trip, but decided to try Jungle Skipper Canteen instead. Maybe I should try to add a Plaza reservation for another day...

And now, for the one I've been looking forward to most for literally YEARS... The Edison.

I know how much you have been looking forward to it! I hope it lives up to your expectations!!

I'm also going back to HBD this year to grab a Cobb Salad and have another Apricot Sour in honor of Grandma (if they have the Apricot Brandy) but won't go into detail on this as it's an old standby that I've already done 2 reviews on. Cheers, GiGi!

We are going there as well! I wanted to book SciFi Dining but then they changed the menu and I was not happy and looked around and realised that depending on what you order, lunch at HBD would not be that much more, so we decided to go with it! I have only eaten there twice and both times the experience was a bit off (but the food delicious), so I hope three times will be the charm! But I was thinking of you and your Grandma when I booked it. I might even think about ordering an Apricot Sour in your and her honor.

Shockingly, I've never been to Narcoosee's or Citricos and am anxious to try them both. This year, I'm hitting up Citricos and am looking forward to some elegant dining.

Citricos is one of my never beens, too. However, it does not appeal to me at all for some reason. Maybe your review will convince me to try it!

Another must-do for the last several trips is Tiffins. It's quite possibly my favorite restaurant for many reasons including ambiance, food, and service...

Ah, I would love to go there, but always am scared away by the price. Maybe I need to look at our plans and just throw it in somewhere as a possibility...

GOT TO BE ON THE CONTROLS FOR TAKEOFF AND LANDING?!

Well done!!!

I loved my meal at the Boathouse, food was great, service was great and if you go for a little walk through the outside part they have some really cool vintage boats parked there. Looking at the boats is possible even if you are not eating there I think. Michael has eaten at Morimoto's a few times and he always really liked it! It's a shame that you are missing Orlando Magical Dining Month by being there in October, not September. A number of the DTD restaurants have some really nice offers for that!
We'll be there in Sep, but possibly only one day where we might make it to DTD. I've never heard of this. Is this a Disney thing or an Orlando thing?

We'll be there in Sep, but possibly only one day where we might make it to DTD. I've never heard of this. Is this a Disney thing or an Orlando thing?

It's an Orlando thing. Lot's of restaurants offering three course meals for 35$: https://www.visitorlando.com/magicaldining/

Most of DTD sit downs, the restaurants at Swan and Dolphin all take part. In previous years some Disney locations took part as well, like Jiko, but this year they don't. It's a great promotion! Hope you can take advantage of it.

Every trip I try to re-visit some old favorites and add a few new places to the mix.
It's a great plan, pretty much what I did on my trip.

I've heard amazing things about the Mac n Cheese with BBQ Brisket.
Whoa. That sounds.... awesome.
OK, spoiler alert for both of you! I'll give you a sneak peak of my trip report. I had the BBQ Brisket Mac n Cheese at The Plaza, and I really enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure it's the standard Disney cheese sauce (which I like) but it's fancied up with corkscrew pasta (cavatappi, I think?). The brisket was tender and the BBQ sauce nice, maybe a touch sweet, but good for the meat and fine to have a little mixed into the top of the pasta. My only complaint is they put a layer of BBQ sauce at the bottom of the dish before adding the pasta. I found once I got to the bottom, that much BBQ sauce was a little too sweet and didn't mix that well with the cheese sauce (taste wise). If I were to have it again, I would ask for no BBQ sauce at the bottom. But other than that, I enjoyed it. Be warned it is a fairly heavy portion so you leave full - I didn't even get ice cream for dessert, and that never happens! I have to say, I've eaten at The Plaza 3 times, and although it's not fancy, it's perfectly good comfort food and a reasonable price if paying OOP.

Bummer! I know that @glennbo123 has had several (2?) great meals there so want to someday try it. This time Citricos will have to fit the bill.

Sorry but your memory is incorrect here -- I've never eaten at Narcoossee's. Either you're thinking of someone else, or another restaurant? I remember that we loved Flying Fish (before renovation when they messed with the menu) and you didn't like it.

It's a great plan, pretty much what I did on my trip.

OK, spoiler alert for both of you! I'll give you a sneak peak of my trip report. I had the BBQ Brisket Mac n Cheese at The Plaza, and I really enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure it's the standard Disney cheese sauce (which I like) but it's fancied up with corkscrew pasta (cavatappi, I think?). The brisket was tender and the BBQ sauce nice, maybe a touch sweet, but good for the meat and fine to have a little mixed into the top of the pasta. My only complaint is they put a layer of BBQ sauce at the bottom of the dish before adding the pasta. I found once I got to the bottom, that much BBQ sauce was a little too sweet and didn't mix that well with the cheese sauce (taste wise). If I were to have it again, I would ask for no BBQ sauce at the bottom. But other than that, I enjoyed it. Be warned it is a fairly heavy portion so you leave full - I didn't even get ice cream for dessert, and that never happens! I have to say, I've eaten at The Plaza 3 times, and although it's not fancy, it's perfectly good comfort food and a reasonable price if paying OOP.
Sorry but your memory is incorrect here -- I've never eaten at Narcoossee's. Either you're thinking of someone else, or another restaurant? I remember that we loved Flying Fish (before renovation when they messed with the menu) and you didn't like it.
Citricos...? I thought you had!

I cancelled my ADR for Narcoosees because of not gotten great feedback concerning quality for price.

Citricos...? I thought you had!

Nope, I've never eaten at the Grand Floridian. My wife, daughters, and mother ate at the tea-thingee they have, but not me.

you-sit-on-a-throne-of-lies.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter