ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Totally ruined the whole experience.

The manager offered to remove the price of the dessert from the bill.

YA THINK????

A good manager would've comped the whole thing and maybe even offered a free meal on another night.

Looooong story (that I'm not getting into. You and Alison can ask me next week.)

Upshot is, fancy restaurant, wonderful food, great "show" (watching the chefs and sous-chefs)
I get served dessert at the end. one has a meringue. Obviously just out of the oven... mmmmm.... a whisp of smoke still curling up from the peak of the meringue.
:laughing: It almost looked like a little worm wiggling there!

It really looks like a little worm.

It really looks like a worm.....

In retrospect, I suppose I should be happy that it was on top and not buried inside where I'd not notice it until I'd taken a mouthful.
Yum.... bonus protein. :banana: As long as they didn't charge extra that is.... :rolleyes1

A good manager would've comped the whole thing and maybe even offered a free meal on another night.
A good manager knew you probably weren't coming back..... regardless! :rotfl:

Wow! I just finished your 200 page pre trip report and now I'm caught up on your trip. I feel as if I know you and your family and some of your friends. I am a fellow RN here in CA. Have a MIL who lived in Salem and is now in Vancouver WA. Pass your way at least once a year. We have season passes to DL but plan to visit WDW in 40 days!!!
When are you coming to CA let's plan a dis meet .
Janelle

Soon, a chef came out to talk with Pat about her allergies and senstivities. They are extensive, but I don't think she had any trouble with coming up with an entree that she enjoyed. (Correct me if I'm lying, @Poolrat )

I had my card on white cardstock for him. We talked I picked and off he went. I was already compromised so I can't say for sure I didn't make it worse but I know we tried real hard not to.

Does this sound more like it?
Plancha-seared Hokkaido Scallops
Antebellum Grits, Brentwood Sweet Corn, Peppadew Emulsion

Better without the peas!!!!! Peas are no bueno for me.

Oh man, that'll take forever. You'll never get over to Yeehaa Bob now! Just kidding Pat!

Hey - I have my card. The delay in the end was getting it BACK!!!! Now it is on HOT PINK card stock to not get lost in the kitchen.

Pacific Island Punch
Mount Gay Eclipse Rum, Disaronno Originale, Guava-Papaya-Pineapple-Mango Juices topped with Brûléed Banana
$10.75

YUM- I don't remember banana. I need to look up what I had. :rolleyes:

Okay - I HAD the scallops too so there better not have been peas in there. :crazy2:

My drink was fruity but no banana, sooo..... Now I need to go back to the menu....

I must have had that? Don't remember the banana. Hmmmm. It was either that or the Blood orange margarita and I don't think I would have gotten that. Everything else is liquor I am not fond of or coffee based.

Last edited:
But wasn't it OUR second date??? :rolleyes1

Yes, yes it was. And as my first DIS meet you proved that not all strangers on the internet are psycho killers! :teeth:

Drink plus tip plus interest plus handling charge...........I think that works out to $127.43! But hey, Pat reminded me about the wonderful chips you brought us, so let's just call it even! :thumbsup2

Awww, you so nice!

BTW, Tanya, your chips were joyfully consumed! ;)

Boy I dodged a bullet on that drink bill!

I forgot about the chips. Glad you liked them. It's one of those local favorites that people who move away request to have sent to them.popcorn:: But sometimes those who weren't raised on them don't care for them. (I know the little emoji dude is technically eating popcorn - but the chip bags are red and white striped too, so maybe he's really eating Kitchen Cooked chips!)

I get served dessert at the end. one has a meringue. Obviously just out of the oven... mmmmm.... a whisp of smoke still curling up from the peak of the meringue.

In retrospect, I suppose I should be happy that it was on top and not buried inside where I'd not notice it until I'd taken a mouthful.

:eek:

Better without the peas!!!!! Peas are no bueno for me.

I "can" eat peas, and occasionally I "do" eat peas, i just prefer not to...glad it came with corn!

Hey - I have my card. The delay in the end was getting it BACK!!!! Now it is on HOT PINK card stock to not get lost in the kitchen.

"Card? What card? You mean you planned to have more than one meal on the trip and may actually need it again? Here, let me, uh, dig through the trash and find it for you...." If Liesa can quote safari animal conversations, I can quote the thoughts of the kitchen staff...

YUM- I don't remember banana. I need to look up what I had. :rolleyes:

Okay - I HAD the scallops too so there better not have been peas in there. :crazy2:

My drink was fruity but no banana, sooo..... Now I need to go back to the menu....

I must have had that? Don't remember the banana. Hmmmm. It was either that or the Blood orange margarita and I don't think I would have gotten that. Everything else is liquor I am not fond of or coffee based.

I don't remember banana either, but it was the closest option and the name sounded a little familiar. Maybe we got cheated out of a banana :banana:

I see a counter in your signature for Food and Wine. I'm too lazy to do the math...when are you headed down? I'll be there Sept 27 - Oct 4.

I'm also going next week March 28-April 5th if anybody is going to be there....

Upshot is, fancy restaurant, wonderful food, great "show" (watching the chefs and sous-chefs)

-YavC2-x7qjV0nsq7_Jto6uAdx7uyWJzrHSIG94t6ef12YYTl7lkIfOWv1_ukORexDjelJ3AJea6UrBDq8fi7bG8gWioPxpitTrAlvTv3RQwBsrCTE-alOf5lB7bkFPjXYoQSue_I1g5TOmeMiMJ7yUBkZRsu0Ij-SoCYQ8wyA7uhrXlWHBFj8jC9VHTnsxxKh-PKPRhQetvG2p_MkimB_QJCZmryUix-w60og4vvu2Uc0VvjmYbuUUYPBPNxCUvp2kBAYtdZ0i6XBlIIld7bj7S6neYmQcIoG8bqIuqcRxjUJGlwO5tRXMkuzgWWTyevDFhK2acu4KY1DgO9bBOXVu681FQyt2uF-AOsAah_UEyM3JJxIB-8ahGbS-vbZPEYapx5CmvCbgcQA_i1AclWAXAjDtRZUkwB4J8zj87dOqL49QKngRMS_RbqlvFEN9stp-vzaAPU9av6ZCXT44msW9DZo-XPknOeJzUdWrdETuRJwRxRpFpa5y136F-NG460ZxHix_p7QOpsPCFWfSMI2FnRAhV_3WkXlDe5rALl68ZVaBwB03FkpWygmKhtcQnpGqh-eWAmHp-9lq8CfpxekymrcWcUqnzLjjucg08GxayV9Toz8sb=w66-h34-no

Whelp....

No SteppeTrip is complete without a fair amount of drama. Nope, just not my style.

Here's the shorter long version:

My mom had a knee replacement a couple of weeks ago, and seemed to be doing pretty well.

BUT...

About 3 days ago she spent a few hours in the ED with severe pain and a hot, red, and ANGRY knee. Que no bueno! They ruled out infection, pumped her full of morphine and sent her home.

It didn't get any better...

This morning I get a text from my sister telling me mom spent the night,

yes, you got it,

the ED.

The knee had a huge clot which she threw causing a pulmonary embolism. Neat. Those things kill people.

After thiinking about it. A lot. I decided to head to Kentucky to help out in any way I can. Running errands, cooking, cleaning, just being a general support to Mom and Dad. My sister has carried the load for far too long and has 2 little girls she's trying to homeschool, so, it's my turn. So, instead of flying straight to LAX on the 28th, I'm now flying into Nashville at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning and spending tonight in the sleeziest dive near PDX. Ewwww. Protip: Don't stay at the Ramada Airport Inn. Yes, my door is deadbolted.

I'll still fly into LAX on the 28th, but from Nashville, and I will actually arrive an hour earlier.

So, here's the shortest Pre-Trip you'll EVER see from Queen Steppe: (Yes, I know. Instead of 300 pages long, it's 1 post. Sue me. Or thank me. Your choice.)

I'll arrive on the 28th into LAX, rent a car and drive to Hemet to visit the few family members I have left in SoCal. After seeing them, I'll then head straight to Anaheim and check into my hotel. I'll be in the parks having a really awesome DISMeet with Alison (@franandaj ) and @pkondz Wednesday and Thursday. Should be a pretty fabulous time. ;) Thursday morning also includes a breakfast Meet with @queenbetsey.

Friday, Fran and Alison and I will cook up some, as yet undetermined, fun, but after I see a cousin who lives in Burbank for brekkie. (The mom of my Disney Animator cousin.)

Saturday, I'll go back to the parks for some photography fun and maybe just lay by the pool and soak up some California sunshine. I had wanted to go to Anza Borrego Desert State Park, but that'd be an extra bunch of days on the rental car, PLUS an obscene $17/day parking fee at the hotel. AND 7 hours of driving. Yes, the wildflowers are having a superbloom this year, but it just wasn't in the cards this time.

Sunday, back home to what I hope are a LOT more work hours.

There....

my PTR in it's entirety.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Totally ruined the whole experience.

The manager offered to remove the price of the dessert from the bill.

YA THINK????

The dessert?!

Wow.

I mean HOW does it even get IN there in the first place?!

A good manager knew you probably weren't coming back..... regardless! :rotfl:

Then again, maybe me telling everyone that story is why they closed down a couple years later. ;)

Good points, both!

Wow! I just finished your 200 page pre trip report and now I'm caught up on your trip. I feel as if I know you and your family and some of your friends. I am a fellow RN here in CA. Have a MIL who lived in Salem and is now in Vancouver WA. Pass your way at least once a year. We have season passes to DL but plan to visit WDW in 40 days!!!
When are you coming to CA let's plan a dis meet .
Janelle

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

A very hearty 3 Welcomes to you, Janelle!

So very happy you chose to jump on board and be part of the gang here! :) We're generally a pretty fun crowd, if you don't mind a bit of ribbing and smack along the way.

Quite a feat of reading 200 pages of drivel! ;)

I'm actually going to be in Anaheim next week and would love to meet, but my time is pretty booked up. BUT, I would love to meet you if you have time for lunch at the parks on Saturday, anytime from oh, say, after 10:00 up to 3:00 or so? I have Meets planned for most of the rest of my stay. But, I sure would love to meet you and get to know you some!

If this sounds like something you can do, I will PM you my phone number. :)

I had my card on white cardstock for him. We talked I picked and off he went. I was already compromised so I can't say for sure I didn't make it worse but I know we tried real hard not to.

I know it got a bit worse, so.... I wonder if this was just one more piece of "oops".

not all strangers on the internet are psycho killers! :teeth:

..... only some of them. :rolleyes1

I forgot about the chips. Glad you liked them. It's one of those local favorites that people who move away request to have sent to them.popcorn:: But sometimes those who weren't raised on them don't care for them. (I know the little emoji dude is technically eating popcorn - but the chip bags are red and white striped too, so maybe he's really eating Kitchen Cooked chips!)

We have a chip factory in Salem too... Kettle Chips brand. LOVE them! Especially the Salt and Vinegar ones. :love:

Oh, nice! So she brought someone who wasn't one?

:duck:

I like mixed company. ;)

I'll still fly into PDX on the 28th, but from Nashville, and I will actually arrive an hour earlier.

I think you mean LAX.....a bit of rushing perhaps.... :rolleyes1

I had wanted to go to Anza Borrego Desert State Park, but that'd be an extra bunch of days on the rental car, PLUS an obscene $17/day parking fee at the hotel. AND 7 hours of driving.

Seven hours of driving would be the case if the rest of Southern California wasn't planning on going there as well. They have been covering the weekend traffic jams out there on the ABC7 news. Pretty much every weekend we hear, "If you're going out to Anza Borrego, pack your patience. The traffic on State Route 22 going into the Valley is bumper to bumper adding at least 1-2 hours to your drive." :eek:

ETA: Oh yeah, hang in there and take good care of your family!

Last edited:
I think you mean LAX.....a bit of rushing perhaps.... :rolleyes1

Seven hours of driving would be the case if the rest of Southern California wasn't planning on going there as well. They have been covering the weekend traffic jams out there on the ABC7 news. Pretty much every weekend we hear, "If you're going out to Anza Borrego, pack your patience. The traffic on State Route 22 going into the Valley is bumper to bumper adding at least 1-2 hours to your drive." :eek:

Yes, I'll go fix it. :P

UGH! I think I'll pass for sure! No thanks!

Still sure would be pretty!

As usual I'm trying to catch up around here! Love your dinner pics of you with your graduation cap! Sorry about the too small portion sizes...but the food did look really good, as did the company :)

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

A very hearty 3 Welcomes to you, Janelle!

So very happy you chose to jump on board and be part of the gang here! :) We're generally a pretty fun crowd, if you don't mind a bit of ribbing and smack along the way.

Quite a feat of reading 200 pages of drivel! ;)

I'm actually going to be in Anaheim next week and would love to meet, but my time is pretty booked up. BUT, I would love to meet you if you have time for lunch at the parks on Saturday, anytime from oh, say, after 10:00 up to 3:00 or so? I have Meets planned for most of the rest of my stay. But, I sure would love to meet you and get to know you some!

If this sounds like something you can do, I will PM you my phone number. :)
Oh Leisa my work schedule has me going to eat yummy food at CA Adventure on March 31st Friday Everyone says the alcohol drinks at the kiosks aren't worth it but I'm telling you the Cove bar is the bomb . Our favorite dish was the duck confit over smash potatoes Yum!!
Janelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter