The ABC's of a BSN Celebration! Trip Wrap up; Final Thoughts (7/11)

Hello again! I can't believe how this month has flown by! Sorry I have not been able to keep up. After 2 straight weeks of freezing temps, hitting negative numbers every day and record snowfalls, we entered "cardiac season" in the ER! That has led to some long shifts at work!

Congratulations on the RV! I am happy for you, and you will love travel nursing. The money is really nice, and your living costs will be so much more affordable! Now with Covid-19 hazard pay, the take home salaries for travel nurses are nice!

I have been enjoying your various installments. We also loved the food at The Wave, and the service there was top notch. I am sorry about your lost items, but glad you retrieved your phone! What a disaster that would have been, so early in your trip! Rather than quoting all the delinquent chapters that I just finished, here are a couple of comments from your last installment:

[/QUOTE]
I am so sorry your Italy trip is on hold. I was really pulling for this trip to happen! But it is so hard to plan for a trip that ends up being cancelled by a travel ban! We rescheduled our cruise to February of 2022. There is not even a Facebook group started for it yet. I think everyone is kind of worried it won't be happening.

Rest to the heart; Joy to the Soul; and Peace to the mind. For a while now, Animal Kingdom has been that haven of beauty and tranquility for me.
My feelings exactly! I would love to spend a day there by myself, just savoring all the beauty!

I had to make a confession to MEK. I left her mittens on FOP.
I am happy you found them! I had a tendency to leave my entire backpack behind on an attraction several times during our trip. I was on vacation... the multi-tasking mode was turned off for me, too!

At some point, whether it was this day or another on the trip, we found ourselves in the Aviary of the Maharaja Trail.
I am so happy we spent time on the Maharaja Trail. The architecture is so beautiful and the paintings set the scene perfectly!

(Alfred, the Great Argus Pheasant)
I love how the CM's had names for all their resident creatures! And the names really matched their personalities!

I hope you enjoyed the little walk of a small portion of a place with so much variety as much as I did today!
:tiptoe: Yes!
Sivako!!!
Sivako!!!

Hello again! I can't believe how this month has flown by! Sorry I have not been able to keep up. After 2 straight weeks of freezing temps, hitting negative numbers every day and record snowfalls, we entered "cardiac season" in the ER! That has led to some long shifts at work!

I know!!! February went SO fast!!! Our weather was horrible too but in terms of work, we're the opposite. Late winter (post-New Year) is typically a major down turn in volumes as folks have started their co-pays all over and are reluctant to spend on "elective" procedures like carpal tunnels, lap diagnostics, etc... But, I do know the EDs around here a super busy too. I hope things ease off for you soon as the long hours get super old, super fast!

Congratulations on the RV! I am happy for you, and you will love travel nursing. The money is really nice, and your living costs will be so much more affordable! Now with Covid-19 hazard pay, the take home salaries for travel nurses are nice!

I think really will. I have a few acquaintances that do it and have liked it. I won't lie, the financial aspect is quite attractive and I think having my own RV as opposed to a hotel room or room in someone else's home will make it more do-able for me.

I have been enjoying your various installments. We also loved the food at The Wave, and the service there was top notch. I am sorry about your lost items, but glad you retrieved your phone! What a disaster that would have been, so early in your trip! Rather than quoting all the delinquent chapters that I just finished, here are a couple of comments from your last installment:

I was pleasantly pleased with the Wave... again. I'd been one other time to the bar, and it really was a great experience! I've lost my phone one other time like that--- first ride of the entire trip (2016) on TT and the dread of panic was nearly paralyzing.

I am so sorry your Italy trip is on hold. I was really pulling for this trip to happen! But it is so hard to plan for a trip that ends up being cancelled by a travel ban! We rescheduled our cruise to February of 2022. There is not even a Facebook group started for it yet. I think everyone is kind of worried it won't be happening.

I am too. It's just too dicey and uncertain still and I'll find other stuff to do to keep me entertained. I am confident cruising will be back as well as international travel but it will take far more time than anyone I think thought it would.

My feelings exactly! I would love to spend a day there by myself, just savoring all the beauty!

I hope you get to do that someday!! Just getting to go at your own pace will be amazing!

I am happy you found them! I had a tendency to leave my entire backpack behind on an attraction several times during our trip. I was on vacation... the multi-tasking mode was turned off for me, too!

I get that!! I"m just so enamored with everything going on around me, it's tough to think of things like... stuff. LOL!

I am so happy we spent time on the Maharaja Trail. The architecture is so beautiful and the paintings set the scene perfectly!
Very much so!! And I love how they tell a cohesive story of the 4 kings along the history of Anandapur. And! Those colors!!! So pretty!

I love how the CM's had names for all their resident creatures! And the names really matched their personalities!

HAHA! Me too!! When we took the Wanyama Tour and Savor the Savanah Tour the CMs talked about the animals like they were friends and it was so sweet to hear about their personalities and little quirks! :D

Sivako!!!

RIse to the Challenge!!

J is for: A Jubilee in Jaleo

With each trip, I try to enjoy eating at a nice mix of old favorites and new places and both Quick Service and Signature Dining with some in-between. I think this last trip hit the sweet spot for finding a good balance of "familiar and loved" with "new and exciting" along with both splurgy and budget-minded. When I started planning this trip with Kari once upon a time, we both thought giving Jaleo a shot would be fun. Unfortunately, she wasn’t able to join us, but I sure am glad we went!! It is a wonderful restaurant that I loved but allow me to paint a picture of what to expect before you give it a shot.

First off, if you arrive by Lyft, you will walk approximately 9 miles and 4 hours. If it’s cold, it will feel like 9 years. If you arrive by bus from a RESORT, it’s not quite so bad. If, however, you go by bus from a PARK, it will suck 5 times more than arriving by Lyft. Because you can’t. Well, directly anyway. Why on EARTH they don’t have buses from the parks to the prime dinner spot after early closings is simply beyond me, especially with so few TS options in the parks right now, and especially at MK, where I was coming from. Instead, here’s the far-less-than-ideal option: Take a bus from MK, or any other park, to Saratoga Springs, and get off at the Congress Park stop and start walking. If you’re dining at Rainforest Café, great; it’s only a 15-minute walk. If not, tough. Make your way through the temp screening tents and just keep gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooing. By morning, you might be there.

Ok, it’s not that bad, but if you’ve been walking all day, are hangry, and it’s cold… well…

The ONLY thing that kept my temper in check was that I was treated to this stunning piece of artistry:

With the luxury of allowing myself a few moments of time to appreciate and capture this explosion of color, my mindset gave way to a re-set which I have no doubt impacted the remainder of my evening.

I briefly stopped to pay homage to the guy that holds my longest-standing memory of DTD way back from 2000. Long live the Lego Dragon/Sea Creature/Thing:

Mik and MEK had gone back to get some pool time (no suits, too cold) and relax earlier before dinner, and I chose to find myself a bit more MK time as I was still on a quest. Two actually. 😉 My companions went by bus as well, but got dropped off at the normal DTD bus corral. They arrived long before I did and were already deep into enjoying the evening before I found them sucking on Home Comin’ Moonshine from MEK’s re-fillables in front of Raglan Road listening to the live music. (I was walking from Kissimee.) Eventually, we made our way to the furthest end of DTD (yep, still gonna call it that) and checked into Jaleo.

Jaleo is a Spanish Tapas-style restaurant that serves their dishes as small plates. It’s meant to be a meal that lasts quite a while… savored, not rushed. By definition and tradition, Spanish meals are an event to be shared with friends and family rather than a utilitarian, rushed occasion. Europeans generally eat much later, so our 8:35 reservation kept one more element of our evening authentic. It also maximized our day- because Disney vacations by default are ones in which the candles are burned at both ends.

If you are looking for a quieter, more elegant, atmosphere, Jaleo is not your place. The pacing is certainly relaxed and intimate, but it is noisy and bustling. The music is an upbeat Salsa-style and not played as a subtle background noise. If it’s harp or classical you want, best to look elsewhere. But if you’re still ready to pour some passion into your evening and are ready to draw it out eating amazing food this might just be your jam.

After we were seated well within eyeshot of the show kitchen, we QR scanned the menus. Sorry. I’m not a fan, man. I want to be able to see the whole thing at a time and not have the experience remind me I’d old as dirt and can’t see anymore. I’m pretty sure I asked for, and got, some real menus and could properly function after that. The properly functioning bit all went downhill from there… eh hem…

Maybe I’m the only one, but I like to narrow down the things I want to try or possibly order well before a Disney trip. Usually, I’ll use All Ears dot Net just to get a good guesstimate on how much I’ll spend and to get myself all excited-like before going. This was going to be my Treat-Yo'self meal of the trip, so naturally I decided on:

The Jaleo Experience- A tour of Spain with Jaleo's favorite traditional and modern tapas; Available every day from 4 pm until 45 minutes prior to closing. $85

But there are times I’m also a glutton, so I also went with this:

Spanish Sips- Enjoy specially selected Spanish wines and beverages to pair to your tasting menu- for classics; Available every day from 4 pm until 45 minutes prior to closing; $45 per person for Experience; $60 per person for Jose's Way

Why not? I knew we’d be sitting there for at least 2-3 hours. #HappyGraduationtoMe

Since I had chosen to go with Chef’s Choice, the other girls would be ordering small plates and between the 3 of our orderings, all would be shared so everyone could have a maximum of dishes to try and everyone was sure to be stuffed. There were a few crossovers that they ordered which also came with my prix fixe menu. At one point, our server knew this and actually adjusted an order as he knew it’d be too much of one thing.

So, let’s move on to the gastronomic delights that filled our table and evening!!!

First up, APPETIZERS!!

If you want weird, different, bordering on bizarre, this is the choice for you too! My very first introduction to Jaleo was ushered in with this little tidbit:

Let me preface by saying that, while our server was very attentive and helpful, I could only understand about 50% of what he was explaining throughout the night. Which was sad because I could tell he was very enthusiastic and excited about the Spanish food and culture. So, when I popped this little gem in my mouth it was…. surprising. A giant burst of green olive juice hit my tongue like a culinary freight train. It was not your typically fruity Boba Ball.

I am going to let someone with more experience in Food Science explain and I'll stick to opinionating, which by the way, I can be very good at. I DO like green olives (black ones too) and while it was definitely refreshing, it was also far saltier than I was prepared for. Wake up, taste buds! Time to get working!! Ok, then. <takes enormous sip of wine>

Here are far more resources on making liquid green olives than you’d ever want or need. I just found the entire experience fascinating!

https://www.starchefs.com/events/studio/techniques/JAndres/

http://www.molecularrecipes.com/spherification-1/spherical-olives-recipe/
https://www.thefooddictator.com/the-hirshon-german-liquid-olive-spheres-flussige-olivenkugeln/
I also got a small portion of Pan de Cristal con Tomate- Toasted slices of uniquely crispy and ethereal bread brushed with fresh tomato $12

Meh. It was not ethereal.

And Paletilla Ibérica de Bellota- 36-month cured ham shoulder from the legendary free range, acorn-fed, black-footed ibérico pigs of Spain $30

I’ve had acorn-fed ham before once while visiting Magdalene in Germany ( @Flossbolna ), an experience I will never in my lifetime forget. This brought back incredible memories of the ultimate in hospitality offered to us that night back in 2010. This ham is the equivalent to authentic Japanese Wagyu in the Beef World.

And Gazpacho Estilo Algeciras- Classic chilled Spanish soup made with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers $11

And another soup with a beet base. (Sorry, the TR skills were slipping a bit by here.)

Both were phenomenal!

The girls got this for their starters:

Manzanas con Hinojo y Queso Manchego- Sliced apple and fennel salad with Manchego cheese, walnuts and sherry dressing $11

And Endivias con Queso de Cabra y Naranjas- Endives, goat cheese, oranges and almonds $9

We all shared everything while the girls enjoyed their cocktail and beer.

Mikki got the Castaway Old Cuban- Pineapple rum, lime, sherry vinegar, cava, mint $15

An interesting note on this one. Our server warned her that many order this and send it back not caring for it. It, being made with vinegar, turns some folks off. She liked it though and had no problem drinking it. I’m sure the 2 Moonshines already tossed back had nothing to do with that.

MEK stuck with a tap beer. Not being a beer connoisseur, I have no idea which one.

The evening had just begun and we were already an hour in. We didn’t care. It’s just that kind of place.

A bit later, a few more dishes showed up with a new glass of wine. There was some explanation of the wine that had something to do with being grown in a certain vineyard in Spain by one family for hundreds of years and that made it special. I just know I liked it. Should have taken notes, but didn’t.

This cute little jobbie showed up at some point. It is a savory cone filled with a traditional Spanish goat cheese, but sadly I do not remember which queso it was. It was very good and a fun way to eat my food. An adulty cone!!

Now that the lighter first foods were done, it was time to get down to some serious eating. The girls ordered this next which were served on a funky plastic pillow like thing that I thought might fit more into CRT more than here. Regardless, the Croquettes were delicious and went down far too easily.

Croquetas de Pollo- Traditional chicken fritters $12.5

Along with that, they ordered the VERY traditional Papas Bravas (because you can't do Spanish Tapas and not get these)

Patatas Bravas- A Jaleo favorite: fried potatoes with spicy tomato sauce and aioli $10

... and some greens to make them feel better about themselves. Espinacas a la Catalana- Sauteed spinach, pine nuts, raisins and apples $11

My next course was very tasty as well but a bit more substantial:

Pisto Manchego con Huevo Frito- Stewed vegetables with fried egg $14

Were we getting full? Hah, you grossly underestimate what damage 3 women who’ve walked in a theme park all day with a little bit of alcohol onboard can do. Let’s see how far gluttony can go, shall we?

Next were the stars of the show. We robbed the 7 seas and ordered these bad boys next:

Gambas al Ajillo- The very, very famous tapa of shrimp sauteed with garlic $18

MEK liked them so much, we ordered it again. Oink.

Lastly, an order of this was brought: Carne Asada Con Piquillos- Grilled flat iron steak with confit piquillo peppers $15

While this was very, very good, the shrimp were by FAR the real winners here.

Yes, we were full.

Yes, we got dessert. I mean what else was I going to have with my dessert wine? :rolleyes:

MEK raved about this Flan for days. It really was extremely delicious.

Flan al Estilo Tradicional de Mama Marisa con Espuma de Crema Catalana- A classic Spanish custard with 'espuma' of Catalan cream and oranges $10

The 2nd dessert was ok, but the Flan outshined it by far.

Pan con Chocolate- Chocolate custard with caramelized bread, olive oil and brioche ice cream $10

Overall commentaries...

On the Adventurous Dining Scale, I’d place Jaleo at a solid 6 or 7. There are definitely some items, spices, and flavors that are not what you’d find on the average American menu, but there are also things I think most folks would like including steak, fish, potatoes and such.

On the Spendy Dining Scale, Jaleo sits at 6 or 7 as well. If you arrive hungry, it’s gonna take 4 or so dishes at $10-$15 a pop to fill you up. But I can also see someone who might go for an appetizer or two and a cocktail and get out for under $40. They really do focus on quality over quantity, so keep that in mind.

On the Pretentious Dining Scale, this one sits at a 4. Kids would be fine here if they liked to eat stuff out of the box, so to speak. It’s plenty noisy enough that kid noise would be absorbed and no one would notice. It’s quite casual and there’s nothing pretentious about it. Just be prepared to sit back and relax. You’re gonna be here quite a while- things run on the Southern European dining-style timeline.

Would I return? Definitely yes! Not every trip, but this one’s a keeper.

Until next time... BON APPETIT!!

Last edited:

if you arrive by Lyft, you will walk approximately 9 miles and 4 hours. If it’s cold, it will feel like 9 years. If you arrive by bus from a RESORT, it’s not quite so bad.
I was going to say "Good thing you were at Magic Kingdom and could quickly walk to the CR for a bus from there...but... :scratchin

Why on EARTH they don’t have buses from the parks to the prime dinner spot after early closings is simply beyond me, especially with so few TS options in the parks right now, and especially at MK, where I was coming from.
Because the Contemporary is right next door, about 100 yards from the bus stops...and there is a line of Disney Springs busses just waiting for you! :thumbsup2
Someone must have told you to catch the Sarasota Springs bus and walk, right????? That's why you did this, right? :stitch2: Option 2: If you had taken a bus to Old Key West and caught a Friendship boat, that walk would have been a LOT shorter, and you could have taken your pictures from the water view! :boat:

Make your way through the temp screening tents and just keep gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooing. By morning, you might be there.
I am picturing Steppe with her walker by now....:crutches:

The ONLY thing that kept my temper in check was that I was treated to this stunning piece of artistry:

Yes, that is definitely stunning!

With the luxury of allowing myself a few moments of time to appreciate and capture this explosion of color, my mindset gave way to a re-set which I have no doubt impacted the remainder of my evening.
:hyper:
I briefly stopped to pay homage to the guy that holds my longest-standing memory of DTD way back from 2000. Long live the Lego Dragon/Sea Creature/Thing:
I did not know he was that old! How cool is that???? 🦕

It’s meant to be a meal that lasts quite a while… savored, not rushed. By definition and tradition, Spanish meals are an event to be shared with friends and family rather than a utilitarian, rushed occasion.
I could never go there with my grandkids...:jumping1:

$45 per person for Experience; $60 per person for Jose's Way
Jose's Way, or NO WAY Jose'? Which did you choose?

So, when I popped this little gem in my mouth it was…. surprising. A giant burst of green olive juice hit my tongue like a culinary freight train. It was not your typically fruity Boba Ball.
I would have thrown up... thanks for the warning! :sick:

And Paletilla Ibérica de Bellota- 36-month cured ham shoulder from the legendary free range, acorn-fed, black-footed ibérico pigs of Spain $30

i saw Iberico Ham on a cooking show...I didn't realize those pigs were fed a diet of acorns! 🐖

Patatas Bravas- A Jaleo favorite: fried potatoes with spicy tomato sauce and aioli $10

These I could eat!

We robbed the 7 seas and ordered these bad boys next:

Gambas al Ajillo- The very, very famous tapa of shrimp sauteed with garlic $18

Now I know what I am getting... Wow!

These photos are spectacular. I am in awe of your talent. :)
A DTD classic to be sure!
If you are looking for a quieter, more elegant, atmosphere, Jaleo is not your place. The pacing is certainly relaxed and intimate, but it is noisy and bustling. The music is an upbeat Salsa-style and not played as a subtle background noise. If it’s harp or classical you want, best to look elsewhere. But if you’re still ready to pour some passion into your evening and are ready to draw it out eating amazing food this might just be your jam.
The food looks absolutely incredible. I don't know if Jack's palate would run to this but it could be fun to explore with Bill in December.
Overall commentaries...

On the Adventurous Dining Scale, I’d place Jaleo at a solid 6 or 7. There are definitely some items, spices, and flavors that are not what you’d find on the average American menu, but there are also things I think most folks would like including steak, fish, potatoes and such.

On the Spendy Dining Scale, Jaleo sits at 6 or 7 as well. If you arrive hungry, it’s gonna take 4 or so dishes at $10-$15 a pop to fill you up. But I can also see someone who might go for an appetizer or two and a cocktail and get out for under $40. They really do focus on quality over quantity, so keep that in mind.

On the Pretentious Dining Scale, this one sits at a 4. Kids would be fine here if they liked to eat stuff out of the box, so to speak. It’s plenty noisy enough that kid noise would be absorbed and no one would notice. It’s quite casual and there’s nothing pretentious about it. Just be prepared to sit back and relax. You’re gonna be here quite a while- things run on the Southern European dining-style timeline.

Would I return? Definitely yes! Not every trip, but this one’s a keeper.
Thank you for the comprehensive wrap up! Definitely putting it on my list!

I think this last trip hit the sweet spot for finding a good balance of "familiar and loved" with "new and exciting" along with both splurgy and budget-minded.
I think you hit all the bases there.
we both thought giving Jaleo a shot would be fun.
I first read that as "We both thought doing Jello shots would be fun."

I presume both statements, while different, are the same.
Unfortunately, she wasn’t able to join us,
Oh, that's too bad.
but I sure am glad we went!!
:lmao:
"She wanted to go, and it was our idea, but too bad! I went without her!"
allow me to paint a picture of what to expect before you give it a shot.
:drinking1
if you arrive by Lyft, you will walk approximately 9 miles and 4 hours.
Got it. Leave at 9am for a 5pm dinner time.
Or I guess, to go with the Spanish/European time for dinner, leave at 11:30am for an 8:30pm dinner time.
If it’s cold, it will feel like 9 years.
Oh, dang.
It's cold half the year up here! I have to leave now if I want to eat there in 2030... plus 9 hours.
If, however, you go by bus from a PARK, it will suck 5 times more than arriving by Lyft. Because you can’t.
whoops...
Why on EARTH they don’t have buses from the parks to the prime dinner spot after early closings is simply beyond me,
I have a theory.
Disney wants to make it easy for you to spend money on Disney. I'm sure most if not all DTD restaurants are not owned by Disney. Sure, they might get a small kick-back when people use MBs to pay, but...

Just a thought. I could be wrong.
By morning, you might be there.
Wait. I thought you were doing dinner. Now it's breakfast?
Ok, it’s not that bad,
:laughing: After all that build up, it better be that bad!!
IMG_6156%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg
Stunning!
Breathtaking.
I'm not sure which one I like best.
With the luxury of allowing myself a few moments of time
"It was going to take 9 hours to get there..."

I think I see the problem!
::yes:: A bit surprised that he hasn't been "updated".
Mik and MEK
With a Mik Mek in your neck
(of the woods)
Give a girl a meal
This young lass walked nine hours straight.
Mik and MEK had gone back to get some pool time (no suits,
:banana:
oh
I chose to find myself a bit more MK time as I was still on a quest. Two actually. 😉
popcorn::
I found them sucking on Home Comin’ Moonshine from MEK’s re-fillables in front of Raglan Road listening to the live music.
Not the worst way to wile away some time. :)
(I was walking from Kissimee.)
:laughing:
Nice! Like the booths.
Jaleo is a Spanish Tapas-style restaurant
I've done that, once. :)
Europeans generally eat much later, so our 8:35 reservation kept one more element of our evening authentic.
::yes::
My sister's bestie is from Portugal and they ate around 9-10pm. With little kids!
Disney vacations by default are ones in which the candles are burned at both ends.
Oooohhh... love open kitchens.
After we were seated well within eyeshot of the show kitchen
:thumbsup2
we QR scanned the menus. Sorry. I’m not a fan, man. I want to be able to see the whole thing at a time and not have the experience remind me I’d old as dirt and can’t see anymore. I’m pretty sure I asked for, and got, some real menus and could properly function after that.
Yeah, I want a real menu in hand too. I don't want to be forever scrolling.
The properly functioning bit all went downhill from there… eh hem…
:rolleyes1
Usually, I’ll use All Ears dot Net
Interesting. I use Disney so I'm sure to get the very latest info.
Makes me wonder who updates quicker, though.
The Jaleo Experience- A tour of Spain with Jaleo's favorite traditional and modern tapas; Available every day from 4 pm until 45 minutes prior to closing. $85

But there are times I’m also a glutton, so I also went with this:

Spanish Sips- Enjoy specially selected Spanish wines and beverages to pair to your tasting menu- for classics; Available every day from 4 pm until 45 minutes prior to closing; $45 per person for Experience; $60 per person for Jose's Way

Why not? I knew we’d be sitting there for at least 2-3 hours. #HappyGraduationtoMe
Wow! You splurged! Good for you! #WellDeserved
There were a few crossovers that they ordered which also came with my prix fixe menu. At one point, our server knew this and actually adjusted an order as he knew it’d be too much of one thing.
Good server. ::yes::
So, when I popped this little gem in my mouth it was…. surprising. A giant burst of green olive juice hit my tongue like a culinary freight train. It was not your typically fruity Boba Ball.
Eep! Nope. I'll pass on that one.
<takes enormous sip of wine>
:drinking1
Meh. It was not ethereal.
Oh. I thought that was your description of it.
I’ve had acorn-fed ham before once while visiting Magdalene in Germany ( @Flossbolna ), an experience I will never in my lifetime forget. This brought back incredible memories of the ultimate in hospitality offered to us that night back in 2010. This ham is the equivalent to authentic Japanese Wagyu in the Beef World.
High praise indeed!
Both were phenomenal!
They served soup in glasses???
An interesting note on this one. Our server warned her that many order this and send it back not caring for it. It, being made with vinegar, turns some folks off. She liked it though and had no problem drinking it. I’m sure the 2 Moonshines already tossed back had nothing to do with that.
Huh. But yeah... that might've helped.
Interesting presentation. Pretty.
"Your tater-tots, your Highness."
and some greens to make them feel better about themselves.
Cool egg presentation. Never seen anything like that. Was it soft? Hard?
Were we getting full? Hah, you grossly underestimate what damage 3 women who’ve walked in a theme park all day with a little bit of alcohol onboard can do.
:rotfl:
:faint:
Yes, we were full.

Yes, we got dessert.
Always room for dessert, right?
I mean what else was I going to have with my dessert wine? :rolleyes:
Oh, sure. Perfectly sound reasoning.
On the Adventurous Dining Scale, I’d place Jaleo at a solid 6 or 7.
Huh. I was thinking just a bit higher. Then again... I recall you've traveled to Africa and I think Asia. And of course Kazakhstan.
Okay, noted. :)

I am so torn on Jaleo. It looks so good. But I don't think we could go with the girls. A long meal like that might break them. And I don't think they would like most of the stuff there. But it does all look so good!

I was going to say "Good thing you were at Magic Kingdom and could quickly walk to the CR for a bus from there...but... :scratchin

I was actually going to walk and do just that, but the CMs were pretty convincing that the way I did it was fastest. Whether it was that night, or in general or...? I don't know... just not convenient any way you could do it.
Because the Contemporary is right next door, about 100 yards from the bus stops...and there is a line of Disney Springs busses just waiting for you! :thumbsup2
Someone must have told you to catch the Sarasota Springs bus and walk, right????? That's why you did this, right? :stitch2: Option 2: If you had taken a bus to Old Key West and caught a Friendship boat, that walk would have been a LOT shorter, and you could have taken your pictures from the water view! :boat:

Sigh... that definitely would have been a good option and I should have thought of that. But as I was approaching the buses the CM directing were telling me and others that the Saratoga was the fastest option right now. Half of my bus was doing the same thing, so maybe they were just keeping people out of the CR?? Poop!! Photos from the water would have been great, but maybe not quite as sharp either. Hmmm...
I am picturing Steppe with her walker by now....:crutches:

Yes, that is definitely stunning!

It really was. And even these photos don't give it justice.

I did not know he was that old! How cool is that???? 🦕

I know!! It's kinda like an icon now and I think his (?) removal would be met with some amount of ire.
I could never go there with my grandkids...:jumping1:

Yeah, while it'd probably be just fine for well-behaved kiddos maybe 12 and up (?), littler ones might have a hard time with the format/length.

Jose's Way, or NO WAY Jose'? Which did you choose?

The way it works is the cheaper option is for the "Experience" (which I ordered) and the more $$ one is for the Jose's Way which is more food and more courses, which means more wine.

I would have thrown up... thanks for the warning! :sick:

My best friend HATES olives too. They really seem to be an either love 'em or hate 'em food and these were pretty strong.
Now I know what I am getting... Wow!
They were seriously phenomenal! Just really out of this world.

These photos are spectacular. I am in awe of your talent. :)

Aw, thanks Susan. :) I think in this case though, it was sheer good luck being in the right place at the right time.

A DTD classic to be sure!

For sure!! I love the new stuff they put out regularly too, but this holds such a soft spot for me.

The food looks absolutely incredible. I don't know if Jack's palate would run to this but it could be fun to explore with Bill in December.

You seem like pretty adventurous eaters and I think you and Bill would love it. I don't know quite as much about Jack's tastes, but I'm sure there'd be something he'd enjoy. I saw a ham and cheese sammie on the menu that seemed like most would enjoy. :)

Thank you for the comprehensive wrap up! Definitely putting it on my list!
You're very welcome! I'm glad you found it helpful and would consider it. :)

I think you hit all the bases there.
I think, by Jove, I did!

I first read that as "We both thought doing Jello shots would be fun."

I presume both statements, while different, are the same.

You may be onto something...

"She wanted to go, and it was our idea, but too bad! I went without her!"

Oopsies!! #sorryKari

Got it. Leave at 9am for a 5pm dinner time.
Or I guess, to go with the Spanish/European time for dinner, leave at 11:30am for an 8:30pm dinner time.

You miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight make it on time, but only just.

Oh, dang.
It's cold half the year up here! I have to leave now if I want to eat there in 2030... plus 9 hours.

Pack yer snowshoes.

I have a theory.
Disney wants to make it easy for you to spend money on Disney. I'm sure most if not all DTD restaurants are not owned by Disney. Sure, they might get a small kick-back when people use MBs to pay, but...

Just a thought. I could be wrong.

You may very well be right.

<Let's get 'em back to the resort and offer mobile dining, and they'll be too tired to take another bus to DTD....>

Wait. I thought you were doing dinner. Now it's breakfast?

It was a long walk...

:laughing: After all that build up, it better be that bad!!

It was not the only time I had to diddle around with DTD bus monkey business. :crazy2:

Breathtaking.
I'm not sure which one I like best.

I couldn't decide either... when in doubt, post both!

"It was going to take 9 hours to get there..."

I think I see the problem!

LOL!!! A girl can't waste photo material like that! It doesn't come around very often, ya know!

::yes:: A bit surprised that he hasn't been "updated".

There were plenty of new ones in the recent years. Elsa and Anna are there now which are pretty cool.

With a Mik Mek in your neck
(of the woods)
Give a girl a meal
This young lass walked nine hours straight.

:rotfl:
Not the worst way to wile away some time. :)

I can think far worse ways.

Nice! Like the booths.

The interior was quite chic and modern. I liked it.

My sister's bestie is from Portugal and they ate around 9-10pm. With little kids!

If kids are used to that, it works. If they're not... it can be something tantamount to torture. For everyone involved.

Oooohhh... love open kitchens.

ME TOO!!

Yeah, I want a real menu in hand too. I don't want to be forever scrolling.

I really don't care for it at all. Up, down, up... where was that..?! Dooooooown, nope, back up....

Interesting. I use Disney so I'm sure to get the very latest info.
Makes me wonder who updates quicker, though.

I have no idea.... All ears has always seemed fairly accurate to me.

Wow! You splurged! Good for you! #WellDeserved

I did! And it was a perfect place to do so!

Oh. I thought that was your description of it.

LOL! Nope. Shamelessly stolen from the interwebs.

They served soup in glasses???

That's actually a trendy I've seen before and even considered buying a set for holidays in the past for soup apptetizers.

Interesting presentation. Pretty.
It was so unique! And tasty too!
"Your tater-tots, your Highness."

:rotfl2:
Cool egg presentation. Never seen anything like that. Was it soft? Hard?

It was VERY different nor anything I'd ever seen before either. It was....both. The outside was crispy and "fried", but the inside was soft with a runny yolk.
Always room for dessert, right?

Always!
Huh. I was thinking just a bit higher. Then again... I recall you've traveled to Africa and I think Asia. And of course Kazakhstan.

I have done a fair amount of eating around the world so you are right, my Adventurous Eater o'Meter might be a bit "off".

I am so torn on Jaleo. It looks so good. But I don't think we could go with the girls. A long meal like that might break them. And I don't think they would like most of the stuff there. But it does all look so good!
It might be a nice place to head without them given their tastes and the length of time you'd probably need to eat there. Maybe in a few years after they are a little older and can stay in the room with dinner and a movie you could have a date night. :)

Oopsies!! #sorryKari
You miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight make it on time, but only just.
Can you imagine?
"I left the house at 9:30am for my 5:30pm ADR. I got stuck in traffic for 5 minutes so got there at 5:35pm. They said I missed my window. So I went home. After 16 hours on the road, I was hungry."
Pack yer snowshoes.
Nope. Skis. Faster.
It was not the only time I had to diddle around with DTD bus monkey business. :crazy2:
popcorn::
I couldn't decide either... when in doubt, post both!
There were plenty of new ones in the recent years. Elsa and Anna are there now which are pretty cool.
Not surprised by that one. Will see them eventually, I presume. Unless the next time I can get down there, they've already been replaced by the latest and greatest.
If kids are used to that, it works. If they're not... it can be something tantamount to torture. For everyone involved.
Certainly not my kids. And... who wants littles up at 10pm? I want them asleep by 8! Freedom!
I really don't care for it at all. Up, down, up... where was that..?! Dooooooown, nope, back up....
YES
That's actually a trendy I've seen before and even considered buying a set for holidays in the past for soup apptetizers.
Huh. I learned something.
It was VERY different nor anything I'd ever seen before either. It was....both. The outside was crispy and "fried", but the inside was soft with a runny yolk.
Huh! I wonder how they prepare that.

I've long thought Jaleo looked super adventurous, and I think I was right, BUT I saw many things in your post that I can see myself trying and really enjoying! Thanks for opening my eyes :) Now, I know that should I want to hike for miles to enjoy an adventurous meal, it will at least be worth it!

YES! He is one of the things I remember most from my first trip in 2000, as well!

After we were seated well within eyeshot of the show kitchen, we QR scanned the menus. Sorry. I’m not a fan, man.
Awesome to be able to see into the kitchen. I Love watching the hustle and bustle in places like this! BUT, I definitely agree with you on the QR code menus! In July, we were constantly frustrated by this for the reasons you mentioned, as well as the fact that my phone is older than dirt, and WILL NOT read QR codes, no matter how I try. Thankfully, we were provided a paper menu at each of the restaurants where this was a problem.

Well, if this isn't the cutest presentation ever! I'd like the rest of my food forever to be presented on a pillow!

Can you imagine?
"I left the house at 9:30am for my 5:30pm ADR. I got stuck in traffic for 5 minutes so got there at 5:35pm. They said I missed my window. So I went home. After 16 hours on the road, I was hungry."
LOL!!!
Nope. Skis. Faster.

I x-country skiied once. Was NOT my thing.
Not surprised by that one. Will see them eventually, I presume. Unless the next time I can get down there, they've already been replaced by the latest and greatest.

I've seen new ones pretty regularly that are closer to the actual store building. Buzz and Woody, Incredibles, Maleficent are some recent ones I remember.
Certainly not my kids. And... who wants littles up at 10pm? I want them asleep by 8! Freedom!

YES!!!!
Huh. I learned something.

There ya go!! I left my tip jar out for you. ;)
Huh! I wonder how they prepare that.
I honestly don't know. Must be in some mold type thing as it definitely had shape. I'm guessing a cast iron jobbie that was well seasoned to give if the crispy outside?

I've long thought Jaleo looked super adventurous, and I think I was right, BUT I saw many things in your post that I can see myself trying and really enjoying! Thanks for opening my eyes :) Now, I know that should I want to hike for miles to enjoy an adventurous meal, it will at least be worth it!

I think EVERYONE could find at least a few things they'd enjoy. While most things are a bit less "American" there are some things that even the more mainstream tastes could enjoy.
YES! He is one of the things I remember most from my first trip in 2000, as well!

Iconic!

Awesome to be able to see into the kitchen. I Love watching the hustle and bustle in places like this! BUT, I definitely agree with you on the QR code menus! In July, we were constantly frustrated by this for the reasons you mentioned, as well as the fact that my phone is older than dirt, and WILL NOT read QR codes, no matter how I try. Thankfully, we were provided a paper menu at each of the restaurants where this was a problem.

I just don't think it's a very convenient solution for everyone. I get the sentiment and effort in waste reduction, but why not just re-usables that are wiped down? :confused:

Well, if this isn't the cutest presentation ever! I'd like the rest of my food forever to be presented on a pillow!
IT was so unique and cute!! Even if, seemingly, a little out of place. LOL!

I'm just now reading, but wanted to say that you are moving to my neck of the woods! If you have any questions- I'm happy to help. I worked at The Medical Center many moons ago and have lived within 45 minutes of BG for most of my life. :) Welcome!

Very interesting dinner. Not sure this would be for me but some of the dishes did sound good.

Your pictures of DTD are beautiful! I'm sorry it was such a long walk to get there. I really hoping the transportation gets better soon.

I x-country skiied once. Was NOT my thing.
I used to do a lot of it. Actually... I skied to work all the time (in winter.)
I've seen new ones pretty regularly that are closer to the actual store building. Buzz and Woody, Incredibles, Maleficent are some recent ones I remember.
Huh. I don't recall what the last ones I saw were. :confused3
There ya go!! I left my tip jar out for you. ;)
<clink!>
I honestly don't know. Must be in some mold type thing as it definitely had shape. I'm guessing a cast iron jobbie that was well seasoned to give if the crispy outside?
Good guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter