The 1/19 Magic Cruise and Menangitis..

Grimsby

Earning My Ears
After a mostly wonderful week with sun and constant 80 degree temps, we got a extra special gift when we got home of finding out my wife has VIRAL MENAGITIS.

Not a happy time in my home right now. Our doctor blames our colorful tour in St. Maarten and the hour shopping time..wait make that 42 minutes BEEEEEPPPPPPPP....

Oh well. Still cant wait to go again and use my $99 coupon! Second week in Sept, baby..heres hoping for a hurricane! LOL

Grimsby

Did you notify DCL about this?? Maybe they should be aware of it -- even though she doesn't think she 'caught' it on the ship.

Is it me or is everyone recently blaming their illnesses on their recent cruise? I really think it comes down to bad timing! Grimsby, I hope your wife is feeling better very soon!

I personally think my head cold waited until I got home from my 1/27 cruise to rear its ugly head because it was mad at me for leaving 80 degree sunshine in the Bahamas......did I mention it was 21 degrees and snowing to beat all get out when our plane landed?????

Seriously, I hope everyone that has been ill recently is feeling better.....it is "that time of year" afterall!

Folks are just as likely to have picked up germs on the flights to/from!!!

Hello
Just have to chime in here, I, and this is only me speaking for me, am sick AND tired of all the folks here that are posting illnesses that THEY GOT ABOARD A CRUISE SHIP. Just what kind of sterile environment do we live in? Kind of like yelling fire in a movie theater and waiting to see what other people do. 2 Posts and the name seems kind of strange to me. Go to your doc and have some chicken soup...otherwise notify the CDC and DCL . If the CDC and DCL thinks it is worthwhile they should let someone know. My doctor thinks it is hypocondria gone rampant.............

For all you need to know

PLEASE HELP.....can someone from Disney step forward please
and end some of these health concerns ?!B]

A virus or flu is one thing and can be picked up anywhere especially when we are at peak season as now... but Meningitis is a VERY serious infectious disease in which the membranes surrounding the brain or spinal cord are inflamed by bacteria or viral and it can be deadly. I've only known 2 people with this and they were hospitalized in critical condition with a long recovery.

Sorry but with an illnesss like that I could not be be thinking of my $99 coupon. We do hope your wife is feeling better.

Hi Again
Consider the comments by the poster, then when you hear from the CDC or DCL worry, in the meantime we should ignore these types of posts. I think they are meant to instill some type of fear in us. Hope your wife gets better!

Introduction, Cause, Symptoms and Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention

I. Introduction
Meningitis, inflammation of the meninges, the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. Meningitis may be caused by a physical injury, a reaction to certain drugs, or more commonly, infection by certain viruses, bacteria, fungi, or parasites. This article focuses on meningitis caused by viral or bacterial infection. In the United States viral meningitis is the most common form of the disease, while bacterial meningitis, which affects an estimated 17,500 people each year, is the most serious form of the disease. Most cases of both viral and bacterial meningitis occur in the first five years of life.

II. CausePrint section
The most common causes of viral meningitis are coxsackie viruses and echoviruses, although herpesviruses, the mumps virus, and many other viruses can also cause the disease. Viral meningitis is rarely fatal, and most patients recover from the disease completely.

Many of the microorganisms that cause meningitis are quite common in the environment and are usually harmless. The microorganisms typically enter the body through the respiratory system or, sometimes, through the middle ear or nasal sinuses. Many people carry these bacteria or viruses without having any symptoms at all, while others experience minor, coldlike symptoms. Meningitis only develops if these microorganisms enter a patient's bloodstream and then the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), which surrounds the brain and spinal cord. The CSF contains no protective white blood cells to fight infection, so once the microorganisms enter the CSF, they multiply rapidly and make a person sick.

Although the viruses and bacteria that cause meningitis are contagious, not everyone who comes in contact with someone with meningitis will develop the disease. In fact, meningitis typically occurs in isolated cases. Occasionally outbreaks of meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis, also known as meningococcal meningitis, occur in group living situations, such as day-care centers, college dormitories, or military barracks. A child whose immune system is weakened—due to a disease or genetic disorder, for instance—is at increased risk for developing meningitis. In general, however, scientists do not know why microorganisms that are usually harmless are able to cross into the CSF and cause meningitis in some people but not others.

III. Symptoms and DiagnosisPrint section
No matter what the cause, the symptoms of meningitis are always similar and usually develop rapidly, often over the course of a few hours.

Nearly all patients with meningitis experience vomiting, high fever, and a stiff neck. Meningitis may also cause severe headache, back pain, muscle aches, sensitivity of the eyes to light, drowsiness, confusion, and even loss of consciousness. Some children have convulsions. In infants, the symptoms of meningitis are often more difficult to detect and may include irritability, lethargy, and loss of appetite. Most patients with meningococcal meningitis develop a rash of red, pinprick spots on the skin. The spots do not turn white when pressed, and they quickly grow to look like purple bruises.

Meningitis is diagnosed by a lumbar puncture, or spinal tap, in which a doctor inserts a needle into the lower back to obtain a sample of CSF. The fluid is then tested for the presence of bacteria and other cells, as well as certain chemical changes that are characteristic of meningitis

Hi again
Boy this is interesting.......

"No matter what the cause, the symptoms of meningitis are always similar and usually develop rapidly, often over the course of a few hours."

Wonder how long they have been home?

Considering that it was from the 1/19 Magic Trip -- they've been home quite awhile!

;)Sorry for what was a mildly inappropriate comment. I hope your wife is feeling better!

The poster did say they found out DW had VM when they got home from the cruise.

If you've gotta have meningitis, viral is the best kind to get.
If you really want to scare us say "bacterial meningitis"!

Note that it can be caused by the coxsackie virus. That was the virus brought up in a previous thread. Interesting.

I don't believe it for a minute, you can call me a skeptic

The post was in poor taste and, like the post several notches up the ladder, was exactly like shouting fire in a crowded theater... Oh, by the way... I just returned from a January cruise on the Wonder and found that I had gained five pounds... #@#% Palos!
Where's Johnny Cochran when we need him?

Ladies and gentlemen,

Please let me take a moment to remind you guys not to get too personal with your comments concerning other posters. So far it is okay.

To say I am shocked by the response of my post would be an understatement. To be attacked almost personally because I made an honest comment in regards to what happened on my trip is astonishing. Then the follow-up comments are just as amazing. I guess the first problem was assuming that most people know that VIRAL MENAGITIS is no where as dangerous as BACTERIAL or that it is not contageous. Obviously we informed DCL, who were just as informed as I to know this poses no threat. All things point to picking it up in St. Maarten, on the timeline of how she felt. She is being treated with simple antibiotics and besides a minor ear infection caused by it, it is fine. For those who DO NOT KNOW, VIRAL MENAGITIS is often mis-diagnosed as a sinus infections. But both are treated with the same medicine and treatment regiment.

Thank you to all who mentioned that they hoped my wife felt better. She feels fine now and only missed a day of work on the Monday we came back. But thank you for the comments of concern.

Want to know something? One day at sea, I was out on the deck eating area at TopSiders and looked down to deck below and there were several people with the green DIS ribbons on. I thought I would just say hello because I was rather new here and wanted to be friendly.

Apparently that is the same thing as yelling Man Overboard to several of you here.

I get the picture. This is 9th grade again and its obvious new people are not welcome.

Grimsby-

I was one of the ones on deck 7 that day at sea - we would have welcomed you!

I think the previous threads about people getting sick and kind of 'blaming' DCL (not saying you are) have gotten some people a little upset. As you stated originally her doctor thinks she caught in St. Maarten.

I hope this doesn't keep you from enjoying this board and getting all of the valuable information it offers.

I am glad your wife is feeling better and hope she makes a complete recovery.

grimsby....please don't get the wrong impression here. People are a little upset with all the DISEASE topics recently. Obviously everyone has a right to post what they want within reason. Yes, some of the replies were a little too personal but again, I think that is because no one wants to think that the cruise ship is contaiminated in some way. And I do not think we are all living in Neverland...these things do happen and we should be aware of them to make choices if we want to sail or not.

Of course if there is a problem DCL should be notified (which you did) and if it was a serious health-problem the health officials would be all over that ship. I also think people find that posting something like MENENGITIS or OUTBREAK OF HOOF & MOUTH DISEASE ON BOARD scares alot of people unnecessarily. Maybe if we all need to be more careful in our thread titles.

Let's hope we are all past the 9th grade (would never want to go back again!!!).

In case it was not mentioned before, welcome to the DIS and please stay around....you will see we really are a nice group. I am glad you wife's illness was not too serious and that she is on the mend.

Again, welcome...

MJ

So sorry about your wife's illness. My DW got some sort of flu bug during our trip, possibly on St. Maarten, possibly on the flight down, or maybe even from one of our kids. Who knows. We still managed to have a great time on the cruise.

I wish that you would have introduced yourself to us. We would have gladly welcomed another DIS person to our group. I've met some of the nicest people here and would have liked the opportunity to get to know you and your wife.

In regards to 9th grade, I agree with mmouse37. Thank goodness we don't have to do that again. :)

If I had been on that cruise with Grimsby, I would appreciate hearing about any illness that showed up while on board or shortly thereafter. I would be more likely to seek medical attention sooner if I knew of the possibilities.

If I am in a crowded theater and there is a fire, I hope that someone shouts out "FIRE." If a person is overboard, I hope someone yells "Man overboard " - - even though we don't want a fire in a theater or a person overboard.

Grimsby - I am glad your wife is doing better. I also am glad that this board is here to share information - the good and the bad - to make future cruisers aware of both the fun they will have and the illness possibilities with so many people from different places, in close contact, and travelling in foreign countries.

Suzanne :earsgirl:

Grimsby,

I thought that the comments made by some of the other people were rude and insensitive, and not in the spirit of what these boards are meant to be. I have noticed that sometimes on this board people are threatened by "outsiders" or new posters. Just ignore them. There are so many more other fun and nice people you will meet here on these boards.

:)

P.S. Hope your spouse is doing better.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest