That was utterly terrifying and I regret having joined you (comments welcome)

Chicago Marathon Trip & Race Report
TL;DR: first time in Chicago–lots of yummy food, hanging with a good friend, and exploring the city. Unofficial time: 4:38:45 (smack dab between A and B goals), squarely middle of the pack.

Saturday: early flight on 3.5hrs sleep (not a great start to the wknd). Could definitely tell there were many other runners on the flight. Cute anecdote: mom and ~5yo daughter in the row across from me. As we’re deplaning, someone asks if she’s there to run and she confirms. Daughter pipes up: “but you’re not ready”. Surprised mom: “I’m not?!” Everybody laughs. Apparently it’s because she wasn’t wearing running clothes😅.
IMG_7706.jpg
Chicago skyline from the plane. Never realized Lake Michigan was quite so big.

My friend J graciously hosted me for the weekend starting with picking me up from the airport. First stop: Stan’s Donuts (thanks to recs from DISers). We split the blueberry cheesecake pocket and the peanut butter pocket. Oh so good. Then she dropped me off at the Expo where I wandered for ~1 hour. Bit of a line with security, but bib/shirt pickup smooth and efficient. Picked up some commemorative shirts for the fam but mostly scooted out since J was waiting in the car.
IMG_7715.jpg
Race course photo backdrop at expo
IMG_7727.jpg
Wrigley, Tribune, and Equitable bldgs + Sears Tower peeking out the middle

Headed home, but first a stop at Devil Dawgs to pick up a Chicago style hot dog. Meh: it was good, but I prefer sauerkraut and ketchup. Then off to my first El ride en route to Shedd. I love aquariums (or as my sister calls them, liquid zoos) and invariably end up at them when visiting new cities. Should have been a marine biologist in another life. Meandered for ~2.5 hrs; could have stayed longer but didn’t want to tire the legs too much (spoiler: probably did) and headed to our next stop: Gino’s East for what J says is the best Chicago style deep dish pizza, splitting a Gino’s Supreme. It was very good, the crust reminded me of a chicken pot pie, crispy and flaky, and I very much appreciated how much cheese there was. Then home to prep for Sunday and a good night’s sleep.
IMG_7762.jpg
Jellies are always so mesmerizing
IMG_7786.jpg
Beluga smiling. Their faces are cute, but bodies are just disproportionately long and too muscular.

Sunday: glorious 7hrs of sleep. Garb: capris, short sleeves, hat, and hydration belt (Nathan’s ended up sending a free replacement when I contacted them for tips on how to fix my old broken one). Shoes: Saucony Ride 14 with ~230 miles. Throwaway: holey sweatshirt, jeans, socks (for gloves). Gear check: windbreaker jacket, warmup pants, flip-flops. Pre-fuel: Honey Stinger waffle, mini-bagel w/ peanut butter. Race fuel: 1 bag Honey Stinger fruit punch chews, 2x10oz water, 1 granola bar. It was windy and cold at 6am as I joined the throng of other runners on the train headed for the start.
IMG_7810.jpg
Sunrise over Lake Michigan
IMG_7811.jpg
Buckingham Fountain

Everything was well organized: dropped off gear check, filled my water bottles at the filling station, grabbed an extra water bottle for pre-hydration, took some pretty pictures. And then…maybe I just picked the wrong section (then wrong line), but the portapotty lines were something else. Ended up waiting ~45minutes and it was not pretty when I got in there. Many people behind me gave up since wave 2 was closing. Raced to my corral (passing a couple folks who decided to just use the bushes 🤮) with no warm-up or prep. Thankfully they didn’t close the wave right away (and there was still 40 minutes til my corral would have started anyways). But I panicked, shed all the throwaway layers, hastily applied sunscreen (again, the single use packets FTW), and scarfed down the waffle and mini-bagel too quickly. Did some warm-ups while we inched towards the start line, teeth chattering away, and second-guessing myself (I was not ready for this race).
IMG_7824.jpg
Start line

Crossed the start around 8:25 and seemed to be at the same pace as most people. Then realized the shorts were starting to drop… They were fine when running the week before, but maybe the wash in between did something? Some kind soul even tapped me on the shoulder to let me know 😳. Plus the hydration belt was causing the tail of my shirt to rise up (why hadn’t I run with this new belt before race day?) and the granola bar got lost along the way. Thankfully, the shorts started to sit properly around mile 3, but spent the rest of the race tugging the shirt tail every so often. Was a real pick-me-up to see J around mile 4 and settled into the groove: a sip of water every mile, a chew every 2. Found some people to try to keep pace with as we rounded the first out and back around mile 8.5. Spotted J again around mile 12 and her encouragement gave a big boost to get to the halfway point.

Most of the route was pretty wide so never really congested. There were some upslopes (and some people commented “wasn’t the course supposed to be flat?” 😄) but overall not too bad. Was very impressed with Chicagoans ability to weave through the route when crossing the street, didn’t really see anybody run into (pun intended) any runners. Surprised though, at the lack of clocks at mile markers (and a lot of the clocks at each 5K mark were not working). As a result, was never quite sure what pace/time I was at, though could sorta tell by looking at my watch and subtracting suspected start time. Also unexpected was how slippery the road got at each fluid station; really had to focus to make sure not to slip (with horror stories of how people twisted an ankle the wrong way when slipping/tripping over discarded cups in the back of my mind the whole time). The crowd support was awesome though, never a section without at least one person cheering. And that wall of cheering/dancing/music in Pilsen was something else.

Though that’s also when things started going off the rails. Everything hurt: quads, calves, hips, shoulders (this is a perpetual problem that I need to figure out, why do my neck/shoulders always get so sore?). Was getting too tired to pull out the chews so fueling dropped, and had only hit this mileage once during training. Started taking gatorade every couple fluid stations and walking quite a bit. Knew I wasn’t going to hit A goal and that hurt mentally. Stopped once for biofreeze gel, then again at the spray zone between miles 21 and 22. Could hear the breathing turn into wheezing (though that could also have been emotions, especially when turning into Chinatown and thinking about the fam). Going into the last out-and-back around mile 23 was the real kicker, when I saw just how much more there was to go. But somehow (most likely the training but also the reprieve from walk breaks and just darn adrenaline), pulled it together around mile 24 and started up again. Kept it up through to ~300m from the end and then picked up the pace, running hard to the finish. Got. it. Done.
5k10k15k20khalf25k30k35k40kfinish
10:3610:0710:0310:1310:3410:2210:3211:1112:1510:05

Hobbled through the finish chute, picking up medal, water, an apple that was super delicious, and a free beer for J before stopping for an official finisher picture and heading to gear check. Changing into flip-flops was glorious, then continued towards the 27th mile party to meet up with J who had been patiently waiting for a while. We sat in the sun while I recovered a bit and got to watch someone propose to his girlfriend (both of whom had run). Headed home (why are there so many stairs in and out of the stations?!); train ride was a little dicey when I suddenly got real nauseous two stops from home and almost ran out the door to not puke on the train. Thankfully a perceptive and super nice dad pulled his daughter from the nearest seat and told me to sit down. Stuck my head between my knees and felt much better. Someone else handed J a wet wipe for me and others offered some food (everybody is so kind!) and we made it home without incident.

Showered, foam-rolled, much sitting, another mini-bagel + PB, and some ibuprofen later, we set out for the architecture boat tour. J wisely suggested an Uber, but 3 stories of stairs down to the riverwalk was a bit of a challenge. The tour was just the thing, getting to sit for 90 minutes was perfect and the Chicago skyline really is beautiful (I will readily admit, prettier than NYC). Wind had also died down from yesterday and temps were mild. Headed to River North for some ramen that hit the spot then home as I was starting to fade (even fell asleep on the train).
IMG_7868.jpg
Chicago skyline from the locks
IMG_7853.jpg
DIS appropriate graffiti along the Chicago River:eeyore:

Monday: Late morning flight so good recovery sleep. Again, lots of folks on the train and in the airport had clearly run the day before. TSA agent even remarked how many people he had seen come through walking slowly and sort of bow-legged😆. Picked up some Garrett’s to share and back to reality. Mostly recovered, a little sore, but not more than after a usual long run day.

Takeaway: was underprepared for this race. Especially the day before and morning of, but also didn’t hit all the training runs beforehand. Took 10:15 longer compared to last (first) marathon on a flatter course. This training plan had fewer longer runs, but more speedwork, but I’m also 3 years older (in a diff division) and less fit now. Was it the plan, or just entropy? Am committed to the four race challenge in January (though when I heard someone cheering yesterday “this is it! No more training!” I wanted to cry thinking, “oh no, there’s still 13 weeks left”). Have already entered the London 2023 lottery (and may enter Berlin 2023 depending on the London results because my insane brain thinks I want to be a six-star finisher), but really need to figure out if it’s wise to keep doing more marathons or better to stick with halfs🤔.

Last edited:
Your neck and shoulder pain is likely due to poor posture once you got tired. It's very easy for your shoulders to tense up. This is something that I really focus on during my recovery runs so that my body knows how to run when tired.

I have the same dilemma with the world majors. I want to run them but I'm not sure that I want to train for that many marathons. I was debating entering the lottery for Chicago next year, but I'd like to see how my current training cycle goes before committing to another.

Almost forgot... Good job on finishing! Those last few miles sounded tough but you were able to push through.

For someone who wasn't "prepared", you just finished a marathon. Congratulations!! And 4:38:45 is really not a bad time. You hit your B-goal, yay!

Your neck and shoulder pain is likely due to poor posture once you got tired. It's very easy for your shoulders to tense up. This is something that I really focus on during my recovery runs so that my body knows how to run when tired.
Good tip. Is it consciously trying to pull your shoulders down or are there other things you do as well? Thanks.

For someone who wasn't "prepared", you just finished a marathon. Congratulations!! And 4:38:45 is really not a bad time. You hit your B-goal, yay!
Yes, that's true, and I should keep reminding myself of that. Thanks!

Good tip. Is it consciously trying to pull your shoulders down or are there other things you do as well? Thanks.
For me, it's just routinely checking in on my posture & shoulders. I think Billy told me a long time ago to imagine pulling my shoulder blades back & down. I also try to imagine a string attached to my belly button and leading with that. I imagine I'm running like Mr. Bean or something but thinking about an exaggerated position like that just brings my posture upright.

I like to do the Together Runs from the Running for Real podcast (she's recording while running and then you listen while running - sounds weird but it's kind of cool). Anyway, one of the things she does each run is a body scan, so making sure you're not tense or clenching anywhere. It's helped me be more conscious of everything while I'm running - I recommend it!

However, my shoulders do still feel tense whenever I'm wearing my hydration vest, so it's not a perfect solution...

More or less. I pull them down and back. I do the same thing when I'm sitting at my desk and I notice my neck is hurting.

Easy/recovery running is also a great time to check in on other aspects of form as well like your hips and cadence.

Like another said above, I do form checks every couple of miles or if I notice I am doing something weird. Shoulders down, core engaged, spine stacked on hips, chest up, arms relaxed, face relaxed, push with your glutes. That’s basically the set I work through. At each point, I focus on any adjustment I made for a sec or two.

Thanks for all the tips! Consciously working on form during this morning's run but may have been concentrating too hard as I got more tense 🤦‍♀️🤣. But practice makes perfect so will keep at it! Many easy runs during this last training go-round were focused on mid-foot instead of heel striking and though it made life more difficult at first, end form is much better, so I know it's worth it.

And thanks again to @azrivest for helping reframe the race. I was indeed prepared, as evidenced by being able to finish ahead of the B goal and recover well. Maybe a better way to put it is that I wasn't coming at the race with enough respect for the fact that it's a major endeavor. Too much chutzpah. A good lesson to keep in mind for the next one.

Resetting to countdown to marathon weekend. This week was for recovery so only goal was to get back out there. Still not quite sure yet which plan to follow for the next 11 weeks: Higdon or McMillan. Leaning towards Higdon and incorporating some of the McMillan speed workouts for the midweek longer runs. It means going from 4 running days a week to 5 and losing one cross training day, but it might be better preparation. Now to remember how to do cold/dark morning runs.

Also got to volunteer at a 5k/half on Saturday. Gonna count the teardown process as my strength workout for the week. Starting to see fall foliage. Love how the one tree on the right has about 5 different colors at the same time.
12D6048A-5B9E-475F-AD51-C90F2C47D7BE.jpeg
1666017489084.png

Last edited:
I have the same dilemma with the world majors. I want to run them but I'm not sure that I want to train for that many marathons. I was debating entering the lottery for Chicago next year, but I'd like to see how my current training cycle goes before committing to another.
Not to enable or anything😁, but the lottery for 2023 is open now til November. It was a fun race.

Not to enable or anything😁, but the lottery for 2023 is open now til November. It was a fun race.
Chicago is for sure the easiest one for me to get to as well. 🤔 I entered the lottery one year but didn't make it and since then my goal has been to time qualify but that hasn't happened yet 😁

Yowza, that escalated quickly! Only 2 less than peak Chicago training weekly mileage and there's still 11 weeks to go (would have been equal if all prescribed distances had been hit). What have I gotten myself into?
1666529011437.png

Tuesday: a little fast during workout leg. Will blame the wind and wanting to get in from the cold.

Friday: Tried the runsocial option on gym treadmill-meh, not sure if it will be a repeat. Also didn't realize you can only hit 60min before it automatically goes into cool down. At least the audiobook was distracting.

Saturday: BoMF had their penultimate long run before marathon (7miles). So cobbled together the planned 16 miles with a run to meet them, the 7 miles, then a run home, with ~20 minutes between each leg. Will count it as practice for character lines during MW.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter