• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

thanksgiving week crowds

kbhehl

<font color=teal>Notice how I pretend not to notic
How bad are the crowds during the week of Thanksgiving? I'm sure they'd be bad Thursday-Sat. or Sun., but what about the Monday-Wed. before?

thanks!:wave2:

It can be crowded that week, maybe those with more experience will post here.....one of the best weeks to go.. is the last week in November, first in December, crowds are not quite as hard to maneuver and the decorations for the holidays are so beautiful.

We've been this week three times and will be there this year too. We've been in 1999, 2001, and 2003. The first two years Mon-Wed were great- hardly no crowds or waits! This year was much more crowded for some reason. 2001 was dead b/c it was right after 9/11. Strategy was very important this year and it was managable. We got to the parks when they first opened, got fastpasses, and rode the most important rides to us first. We did early entry most days and the hopped over to an opposing park. From what I gathered, MK was crowded every day. We went to MK Monday and Thursday- Thanksgiving. MK is a zoo Thanksgiving Day, but my mother who travels with us likes to be there so we go. If it doesn't matter to you, I'd go to another park this day. Tuesday we did EE at MGM and hopped over to Epcot- wise choice as the crowds were much less. We did MGM Wed, again, better crowds than the morning before. Friday we did EE at AK- not bad- and hopped over to MGM. MGM was crowded, but not terribly bad. The parks with EE were generally very crowded by midday- so we either hopped away from them or avoided them all together. I'm hoping this year won't be quite as bad- it's the worst we've experienced. My hope is that people are just now getting back to WDW this year- as I've read reports that it has been more crowded all year than usual. Anyway, it is a terrific time to go. Of our three visits, we've had only one 30 minute shower, wonderful temperatures, and you get to see the Christmas decorations up! We love it!

Hi. We were there this past Thanksgiving week and the crowds were a little heavier than I was expecting. We still had a great time though. Got to the parks at opening and used fastpass and we were fine. Saturday and Sunday before Thanksgiving we were at AK and Epcot and they were very manageable. Beginning Monday I thought MK and MGM were very, very crowded. My last 2 trips have been the 1st week in August and I thought Thanksgiving was worse. That being said, we still did everything we wanted to do and had a great time. Even spent Thanksgiving morning at MK before the crowds rolled in. Just get to the parks early and you'll be fine. There's something special about having Thanksgiving dinner in MK. Have a good time!!!!

We will also be at WDW the Week prior to Thanksgiving arriving on Saturday November 20 by 10 am. Leaving Indiana early in the morning and have a direct flight to Orlando. Hoping to be checked into the BCV by Noon. Haven't yet decided how to maneuver this week. We are usually late October people while the kids are on Fall Break. But since buying into DVC this last year can't wait to experience WDW's holiday decorations. It will be myself, DH, DD11, and DS4. We will also have Grandparents in tow. They have never been to WDW so I am hoping to knock their socks off with all the "magic"! Hoping for lighter crowds than I have heard for this last Thanksgiving. Haven't yet decided whether we will brave MK on Thanksgiving Day or not. Hope to see you all there!!

Thanks for your input, folks! Gonna have to flip a coin, I guess!

Disneyfreak2127, you sound just like us! We were planning to go late October this year because of fall break (we're hoosiers), but will be moving to a new school district over the summer that only has two days off for fall break (whereas our current has 2 days off + two half-days because of PT conf.) Grandma is supposed to go with us this year--her first time ever! And we're also new DVC-ers. Too funny!
Oh, just re-read yours again-- we are also going to BCV! Are you sure you're not us?:earseek:

I was there this past Thanksgiving and it was packed!!!My advice is to avoid the EE days, get to the park early and have 1 person in your party willing get the fastpasses. We were there for 3 days and rode every fast pass ride in MK, MGM, and epcot. Some we even got to ride 2 and 3 times. We only missed a few smalller rides, like magic carpet ride, and timekeeper. We went to Disney Quest (take motion sickness pills!!!!!!), and even had time to shop at Downtown disney. I used the unofficial guide and it worked out GREAT! Have fun

We have gone many times over Thanksgiving but usually stay the week after also. I would have to agree with most that Thanksgiving weekend is absolutely packed. If you do go, go to the parks early or late and take a shopping/swimming or napping break mid-day. We have enjoyed the dinner shows for Thanksgiving day!

The week directly after Thanksgiving is very quiet in the parks. No waits for many rides at Magic Kingdom! Having school age kids makes it a little harder to miss that week, but all of our teachers have been supportive, realizing that family-time is just as important for the student. Requesting make-up work before you go is a good way to soften the home-work burden.

I'm sure which ever way you decide to go, you'll have fun...it's DISNEY!!!!

We went Thanksgiving week 2000 and 2003. It was much busier this year than in 2000. We had a great time, but I don't think we'll go again Thanksgiving week. I'd like to try a time when its a little less crowded. The weather is very nice, though at that time of year, and the Christmas decorations are beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter