Thanksgiving ideas

Discussion in 'Camping at Disney World' started by dm1996, Jun 11, 2018.

1. dm1996

dm1996 Earning My Ears

we have camped several times at the Fort, but this will be our first attempt at Tgiving dinner. Going to deep fry a turkey and get a honey baked ham. We will have about 20 people total and 4 sites.
    Any ideas, recommendations from people that have done it in the past? My biggest concern is rain, but I guess you can stall unless it’s that all day drizzle rain.

2. FortForever

FortForever Disney since Day 1

Is deep frying a turkey allowed at the Fort?

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. PaHunter

PaHunter Photographer in need of training...

I do not believe any open flame is allowed. They do not allow propane fired campfire logs, can't imagine a turkey fryer. OP may want to call and talk to Fort management, or may have 20 really hungry people.

FortForever likes this.
  5. FortForever

FortForever Disney since Day 1

That was my thought as well. Open flames seem to be the one rule they enforce strictly and I would be surprised if they allowed this.

@dm1996 - I think I would have a back up plan for that turkey. Even calling guarantees nothing, as you can talk to 10 people and get 10 different answers about anything pertaining to the Fort. Perhaps one of those big electric roasters would be a good idea.

team bradfield and PaHunter like this.
  6. dm1996

dm1996 Earning My Ears

We have the waring rotisserie deep fryer, it doesn’t use an open flame and can be used indoors or outdoors. It uses half the oil as the turkey rotates as it cooks.

7. Ds4angels

Ds4angels DIS Veteran

Just in case you can't fry it, we have a portable roaster we've used to cook out Turkey in when camping over Thanksgiving. Sidenote, the campground smelled so good that day

8. team bradfield

team bradfield happy campers

that sounds so good right now

9. friendofeeyore

friendofeeyore Mouseketeer

We have been @ Disney for Thanksgiving. The crowds were light on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Weather was great, but Mother Nature has been a stinker lately & not sure what she has up her sleeve. We arrive in 11/16 for 3 weeks.Hope we can meet.

10. AgentMama

AgentMama Earning My Ears

Pop-up canopies are relatively inexpensive and don't take up a lot of room traveling, if you're worried about the weather. We've used them multiple times to be able to eat outside camping in bad weather.

11. bama_ed

bama_ed It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney

Me too. Several years ago we were at the Fort over Thanksgiving and used a counter-top roaster oven of this type:

[​IMG]

It takes a little longer at 325F due to the thermal inefficiency but it was great. We fed 19 people with pumpkin and pecan pies from the local Winn Dixie and some short-cuts like instant mashed potatoes and gravy.

Oh and a tv to watch the college football games.

It was memorable. Hope this can work for you.

Bama Ed

PS - and Ds4angels is right on, it does make the campground smell REALLY good.

Ds4angels likes this.