Terrible Mickey Interaction at Animal Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

meuseman

<font color=blue>Disney Parks Game Afficianado<br>
I just wanted to share this experience with you all. I'll send an e-mail to guest satisfaction, but I was pretty shocked when it happened.

I have a DD(5) and a DS(2) who are both experienced Disney Fans. Both have grown up, knowing from before they could talk, how Disney character interactions work. They ask the character for an autograph, wait patiently while the character signs, the character will hand the book back to the kid, who hands it back to the parent and when the books are in parent's hands you turn and smile for picture. With the exception of those characters that cannot sign, this is always the routine. Sometime there is banter, and kisses and hugs, but without fail, it's autographs then picture.

On Friday, we went to AK for rope drop and were second in line for Mickey when Camp Minnie Mickey opened. Mickey took the books, then refused to sign them until pictures were taken. My son started crying, saying "Please sign book, please sign book" but Mickey would not sign. My kids wouldn't turn around, because they know they need to give their books back to us. At one point, Mickey put the books behind his back, causing my son to cry more.

The cast member handler kept saying "Mickey takes pictures and then signs!" but that has never been my experience.

Finally, I picked up my son, took my daughters hand, DW asked Mickey for the books which were without signatures and we got no pictures.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? The event left a very sour taste for the rest of the day.

so you're mad because Mickey wanted to take pictures and then sign the books? seriously? I'm sorry but that seems really picky to me. Was the Mickey acting inappropriately?

I really don't want to sound harsh or mean and I'm sorry if I do but it just seems as though you could just tell your kids to smile first and they would listen.

Wow, that's terrible. Feel bad for your kids, especially your young son.

Little kids like your son are all about routine, because that's their opportunity to have some control over their life. For Mickey to not sign before pictures seriously frustrated him, I'm sure.

What happened to "go with the flow", Disney? Everything in life won't go as planned. :sad2

The customer is always right.

meuseman said:
I just wanted to share this experience with you all. I'll send an e-mail to guest satisfaction, but I was pretty shocked when it happened.

I have a DD(5) and a DS(2) who are both experienced Disney Fans. Both have grown up, knowing from before they could talk, how Disney character interactions work. They ask the character for an autograph, wait patiently while the character signs, the character will hand the book back to the kid, who hands it back to the parent and when the books are in parent's hands you turn and smile for picture. With the exception of those characters that cannot sign, this is always the routine. Sometime there is banter, and kisses and hugs, but without fail, it's autographs then picture.

On Friday, we went to AK for rope drop and were second in line for Mickey when Camp Minnie Mickey opened. Mickey took the books, then refused to sign them until pictures were taken. My son started crying, saying "Please sign book, please sign book" but Mickey would not sign. My kids wouldn't turn around, because they know they need to give their books back to us. At one point, Mickey put the books behind his back, causing my son to cry more.

The cast member handler kept saying "Mickey takes pictures and then signs!" but that has never been my experience.

Finally, I picked up my son, took my daughters hand, DW asked Mickey for the books which were without signatures and we got no pictures.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? The event left a very sour taste for the rest of the day.

I agree that not usually how it's done, but I don't understand why the order is important. This would not bother my family enough to remember 5 minutes later.

I taught for over ten years and have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old twins so, I completely understand the need for structure but, along with that, comes flexibility. So sorry you guys left without getting what you set out for...and hopefully you guys can try again before leaving.

I think if the handler told you that this Mickey will take a pic first, you could have assured your DS that it was ok. I think leaving without the autograph probably upset your kids more than waiting for it would have.

Aww, poor little guy! Sounds like you got a disgruntled Mickey. That sure wasn't a very guest friendly experience!

Golf4283 said:
so you're mad because Mickey wanted to take pictures and then sign the books? seriously? I'm sorry but that seems really picky to me. Was the Mickey acting inappropriately?

I really don't want to sound harsh or mean and I'm sorry if I do but it just seems as though you could just tell your kids to smile first and they would listen.

I know...is this real life? Like do parents really get mad over something like this? Wow, just wow.

I really don't see what the big deal was. I highly doubt that Mickey was trying to ruin your kids' day.

I think the order is important because that is how the kids are used to doing it. A 2-year old can't rationalize why Mickey is holding his book behind his back and a cast member is telling him to turn around, when no other interaction - out of probably 30 on this trip - works that way.

All Mickey had to do was sign the book, and the whole scene could have been avoided. But he refused, held the book behind his back, and kept trying to turn my son around for pictures.

What a stubborn Mickey. Why was it such a big deal for him to sign autographs before taking pictures? That just seems unreasonable. And hiding the books behind his back was rather un-Mickey-like too.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I have seen them take the photo and then sign on occasion. Maybe if you had assured the kids that it was fine, that Mickey wanted to take pics first, they would have been fine with it.
I also have to point out that you're talking about a two year old as though he has years of experience with this and is completely thrown by a different procedure....

I know your 2 year old can't rationalize like you said but maybe you can take this opportunity to teach your kids that not everything is going to be exactly what you expect and we can try again.

My wife and I both agree that schedules for kids are important but if we don't keep an element of randomness, our kids will have a harder time adapting in situations. It's going to be tough to do but we have to try.

Also in regards to hiding the books behind his back I take it as more of a playful way of like "nuh uh uh not until you smile!"

Well, Disney has the prerogative to change things up to make them more magical! Perhaps, it was decided that pictures before autographs were more efficient way to do things.

Example: when a child first interacts and sees a character for the first time...they are very excited and happy. If the child waits for autographs first and then picture..that excitement isn't as high which would give a more 'forced' smile rather than true happiness...

Or..

Practicality reasons. Take pic. First...then while signatures are given..next set of people can already be posing and ready for the character to slip in place for the pic. Moves the line.

Should the cm or the photographer tell everyone in the line before they opened it that pics will come first today and then autographs..yes. It would have been smoother.

Do you need to adapt to the new ways if you want to get a pic. And autograph from the character...yes. Trips are not going to go perfectly..and the way you adapt to changes will determine how well they will end up going. Life is full of changes...but I think this one..you should be able to reasonably explain to your children and understand that is how it is going to be. :)

You never know what was going on with the person playing Mickey...perhaps there was an issue you were unaware of where the order needed to be changed for a person or two....Mickey can't communicate so, it sounds like the CM was trying handle a situation that you weren't aware of in the most appropriate way he/she knew how to. :confused3

meuseman said:
I think the order is important because that is how the kids are used to doing it. A 2-year old can't rationalize why Mickey is holding his book behind his back and a cast member is telling him to turn around, when no other interaction - out of probably 30 on this trip - works that way.

All Mickey had to do was sign the book, and the whole scene could have been avoided. But he refused, held the book behind his back, and kept trying to turn my son around for pictures.

Being the time of year that it is, Mickey was probably "friends with" a brand new College Program Cast Member or one from a foreign country. It also sounds like the Attendant was new too! Filling out a Guest Comment card would improve the Meet and Greet experiences for you and others. I am sorry that happened to your kids...most of the Mice go with the flow to give the guests the best experience possible! :)

I have a DD(5) and a DS(2) who are both experienced Disney Fans. Both have grown up, knowing from before they could talk, how Disney character interactions work.

Thats a bummer that this ruined your family's day.

I gotta say though, the above quote cracked me up - did you mean 15 and 12? Or are you saying your 5 and 2 year old are "grown up"? :lmao:

I understand the need to teach children to adapt to changing environments. But this is something that I have never experienced.

What if you were at dinner and the server brought out dessert first? Would you say "Oh well, guess they are changing it up today. What's the big deal, you will still get all of your food, right?" I doubt it.

If Mickey wanted to take pictures first, he should not have have taken the books and the pen, put them behind his back and tried to turn the kids around. I told my son that Mickey wanted pictures first. I told him that Mickey would sign his book after pictures. But he's 2 and Mickey is holding his book and his pen and refusing to sign his book. It has never happened before, and didn't happen again on the trip.

I am always blown away with what people complain about here. Obviously a parental unit should have intervened quicker to assure this child that it would be ok.

It's always gotta be Uncle Walt's fault!

This seems horribly nitpicky, and to be honest it sounds like you could have been more flexible and explained to your kids to do the pic and then signatures would come.

I don't understand why the order of how you understand this needs to be some formal diplomatic protocol in the first place! I never even explained to my kids what the order is, they just go with the flow. Sounds like you emphasized this too much and made the progress sound too rigid for your kids.

meredith1 said:
You never know what was going on with the person playing Mickey...perhaps there was an issue you were unaware of where the order needed to be changed for a person or two....Mickey can't communicate so, it sounds like the CM was trying handle a situation that you weren't aware of in the most appropriate way he/she knew how to. :confused3

I was thinking the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter