*Teresa & Greg-7/1/12*Swan/Fultons/GF Marina-Epcot Character Fun-Updated*2/22*

First of all your December trip sounds like so much fun! Also, the Coronado Springs locations sound really nice so I hope you look into them. I think it's perfectly all right not to have a cake if you don't want one. It's just tradition so you might get some comments from people :rolleyes: but who cares, people will survive if they don't get any cake :rotfl:

I know what you mean but here is my deal I want to do some things that are specific to family and bridal party and besides this will allow those that came down some time to themselves to go to the parks that night and enjoy the rest of their day. I am predicting many will be there just the day before the wedding and the day of and then leave the next day because the wedding is on a Monday. any thoughts on that?

Teresa

I was kinda thinking along the same lines as Chilly. I have mixed feelings about it because I would definitely want to keep costs down too, but I could see how it would hurt people's feelings. If you were able to have the dessert party another day, say the night before instead of a rehearsal dinner, that might be a good option because most people don't expect to be invited to events like that. Or, it might depend on what family members you're including - if it's just your parents and the bridal party people might understand, but if you start including extended family but other family you aren't as close to or other friends aren't included it might hurt them. It's a very hard call, because dessert parties sound awesome and it would be great to have one, but you don't want the price to get out of hand!

And if I was only coming down for one day or two for a wedding I probably wouldn't go to the parks at all - Disney tickets are expensive but they're manageable when you buy 4 days or more. A ticket for just one day is almost $100 though and that's a bit much, especially if you don't have even a full day to do a park. But who knows, other people may think differently than I do and they might plan to do that!

First of all your December trip sounds like so much fun! Also, the Coronado Springs locations sound really nice so I hope you look into them. I think it's perfectly all right not to have a cake if you don't want one. It's just tradition so you might get some comments from people :rolleyes: but who cares, people will survive if they don't get any cake :rotfl:

I was kinda thinking along the same lines as Chilly. I have mixed feelings about it because I would definitely want to keep costs down too, but I could see how it would hurt people's feelings. If you were able to have the dessert party another day, say the night before instead of a rehearsal dinner, that might be a good option because most people don't expect to be invited to events like that. Or, it might depend on what family members you're including - if it's just your parents and the bridal party people might understand, but if you start including extended family but other family you aren't as close to or other friends aren't included it might hurt them. It's a very hard call, because dessert parties sound awesome and it would be great to have one, but you don't want the price to get out of hand!

And if I was only coming down for one day or two for a wedding I probably wouldn't go to the parks at all - Disney tickets are expensive but they're manageable when you buy 4 days or more. A ticket for just one day is almost $100 though and that's a bit much, especially if you don't have even a full day to do a park. But who knows, other people may think differently than I do and they might plan to do that!

I guess I should explain the wedding invite list. We are only inviting about 48 people including the officiant and us.

We are not inviting extended family we are only inviting our two sets of parents, my two sets of grandparents, his brother, my brother and my two nephews. I have 3 bridesmaids and he has two groomsmen other than his brother. The rest of the guests are friends that are coming with spouses and keep in mind it is christmas at Disney and many of the people being invited have never been to disney. Part of the reason I wanted a morning wedding and a brunch was to allow people time to go explore Disney at christmas. This is why we are only going to include the Dessert Party on invites for the family and bridal party. We really can't afford to do the dessert party outside of our minimum and it won't count towards the minimum if it is on another day. I also know my few friends I am inviting and they are not going to give a flip they are all very go with the flow we are not inviting anyone that is not go with the flow.

Hope that helps to clarify but I do really appreciate everyone's opinion and I am going to look into the dessert party as a rehearsal dinner thing instead because I was going to ask my dad to pay for the rehearsal dinner and this may be cheaper to do. Although we would have to pay for extra photography unless Randy would not mind doing it also even if it was on another day.

Teresa

I wasn't thinking of minimums, so that's a good point. In the end you know your friends best, so if they wouldn't mind then go for it!

I wasn't thinking of minimums, so that's a good point. In the end you know your friends best, so if they wouldn't mind then go for it!

I can say that I am not going to spend much to any on decorations for it. No one is going to remember them anyway. I might pay a move fee to just take the centerpieces from the reception to the dessert party but that is about it.

Teresa

aww I am glad you thought of me. you are probably right I think what will really help me decide are the menu options. I like the fact that with SCP I dont have to transport anyone and it just seems to be less of a hassle. Also since I am getting full day coverage with Randy then it wont be a problem and I wont have to pay for more photography, and STVS might be there too since I have them for the full day coverage also. I will have to talk to them about it. I know what you mean but here is my deal I want to do some things that are specific to family and bridal party and besides this will allow those that came down some time to themselves to go to the parks that night and enjoy the rest of their day. I am predicting many will be there just the day before the wedding and the day of and then leave the next day because the wedding is on a Monday. any thoughts on that?

Teresa

I guess I should explain the wedding invite list. We are only inviting about 48 people including the officiant and us.

We are not inviting extended family we are only inviting our two sets of parents, my two sets of grandparents, his brother, my brother and my two nephews. I have 3 bridesmaids and he has two groomsmen other than his brother. The rest of the guests are friends that are coming with spouses and keep in mind it is christmas at Disney and many of the people being invited have never been to disney. Part of the reason I wanted a morning wedding and a brunch was to allow people time to go explore Disney at christmas. This is why we are only going to include the Dessert Party on invites for the family and bridal party. We really can't afford to do the dessert party outside of our minimum and it won't count towards the minimum if it is on another day. I also know my few friends I am inviting and they are not going to give a flip they are all very go with the flow we are not inviting anyone that is not go with the flow.

Hope that helps to clarify but I do really appreciate everyone's opinion and I am going to look into the dessert party as a rehearsal dinner thing instead because I was going to ask my dad to pay for the rehearsal dinner and this may be cheaper to do. Although we would have to pay for extra photography unless Randy would not mind doing it also even if it was on another day.

Teresa

Obviously it really does depend on the people and as we don't know your friends you'll know better than us! I'm trying to decide how i'd feel about it and keep changing my mind, I can argue both points really. I was going to suggest doing the DP as a rehearsal dinner as well but that would impact on your minimums.

I see your looking into Escape & S/D weddings now though.

I can say that I am not going to spend much to any on decorations for it. No one is going to remember them anyway. I might pay a move fee to just take the centerpieces from the reception to the dessert party but that is about it.

Teresa

I always tell people to keep centrepiece costs as low as possible. Can you remember what they had at the last wedding you went to?

I always tell people to keep centrepiece costs as low as possible. Can you remember what they had at the last wedding you went to?

nope i can't but thats because I can be a space cadet especially when I was in the place where I was thinking I would never get married

Obviously it really does depend on the people and as we don't know your friends you'll know better than us! I'm trying to decide how i'd feel about it and keep changing my mind, I can argue both points really. I was going to suggest doing the DP as a rehearsal dinner as well but that would impact on your minimums.

I see your looking into Escape & S/D weddings now though.

Yep I am looking at other options I spoke to karen today with just marry for the S/D wedding and she was amazingly helpful! I mean amazingly helpful!

All the other S/D brides on here have been a life saver....I know I am flip flopping all over the place but I have to figure out what I want and what I can actually do.

I feel a talk with the fiance coming on

Teresa

nope i can't but thats because I can be a space cadet especially when I was in the place where I was thinking I would never get married

Yep I am looking at other options I spoke to karen today with just marry for the S/D wedding and she was amazingly helpful! I mean amazingly helpful!

All the other S/D brides on here have been a life saver....I know I am flip flopping all over the place but I have to figure out what I want and what I can actually do.

I feel a talk with the fiance coming on

Teresa

best of luck making your mind up.

Alright so this is the deal, I have been crunching numbers or at least trying to and with what I have come up with for a wishes wedding I am just not seeing it as a viable possibility. Greg (DF) and I are paying for it ourselves and while we would have the funds to do a wishes wedding it does not mean that we necessarily should IMHO. I am getting fed up with the restrictions on things and that there is always a line that says "you can do this if you have this or if you have that but if you go over this then you can't do this anymore" there are those of you out there that know what I am talking about.

I also have been reading the horror stories with disney planners and I am just not really sure I want to go down that path.

So with all of that I started looking at my options and thanks to Faith (mrsduck), Jillian and Joanne (tinkerbell_766) and 2dgmom oh and also the Swan thread and all the helpful people on there I have been converted. I have no concrete plans because Karen is checking availability for me but here is what I am thinking.

1. I like crescent terrace and the lakeside terrace I also like the wedding beach. The problems are mom says a beach wedding in december does not make sense and so I just need to find out about the other two.

2. I am considering 3 options for a reception (1) a ballroom with a brunch reception at the swan most likely the osprey ballroom, it would have a dance floor and music because one of my priorities is that I want to dance, I also need it to be private so my dream of characters can come true (2) Karen suggested this to me which would be to do my catered brunch inside of blue zoo since it will not be open to the public yet I could use the spot and arrange the tables so that we can dance inside of blue zoo :) (3) the last option is doing a private cocktail hour type thing but doing a break menu of movie themed snacks and maybe a cake, maybe have a small sound system to have some make shift dancing and hopefully characters...where this would be I have no idea.

3. I still want to use Tim Herring as my officiant like I was planning, Randy Chapman for photo and Stan from STVS for video

4. Some ideas for after our brunch reception. I am thinking of not having a cocktail hour if we do a full reception either ballroom or bluezoo because the majority of the guests are family that would need to be photographed so i feel like it would be a waste. Instead I am hoping that afterwards we can do with Randy do family shots and then hit some resorts to do some pictures! I am think wilderness lodge because I love it there and then maybe the polynesian but since it is christmas time I am thinking that I might want to do pictures at the beach club. Another option is the contemporary maybe get a monorail shot and since we did get engaged there it might be fitting or even at the fountain at BLT.

5. After this I am thinking about some QT with DF alone or....go to the parks with the fam then afterwards I am still planning on doing a dessert party but I can not decide if I want to do it in place of the rehearsal or the night of the wedding. I am ok with doing it the night of the wedding if Randy can shoot the pictures of the dessert party because it would be for wishes. Another option would be to book him for the dessert party the night before or book him to do a trash the dress!(sounds like fun) My main reason to not do this is I still want to use DPS for a hollywood studios portrait session and maybe even an epcot session.

So this is where I am at...sometimes I feel like people are annoyed because i am changing things but all I can say is that I am glad that I have time to. Karen was phenomenal today and really helped sway me over to doing a S/D wedding. She responded to all my questions and emails after we spoke on the phone in under an hour and she was more than happy to help me. Once we get the dates confirmed she is going to set up a tour for us when we are in the world in december...YEA! So I am excited.

I also talked to DF today and I told him I wanted to change to S/D and we talked about it and it looks like that is what we will be going with! So I guess I can say I am tenatively a S/D bride.

I feel you about the funds. Just because you have the money doesn't mean it's wise to spend it, you know?

One of the main reasons we went to S/D is because there are hardly any restrictions-- it's so easy! Plus, Karen is WONDERFUL. I cringe when I read the DFTW horror stories (I'm sure some exist for the S/D too!) and am so happy Karen is so great.

If you want the beach, I think that it would be gorgeous in December! You can let your mom know that us Floridians go to the beach in December! ;) I love Crescent Terrace because it is a little private and I love the view and the trees.

If you want dancing, I'd go with the ballroom or Bluezoo. Bluezoo is such an awesome restaurant that I'd honestly lean towards that if a DJ is allowed!

We are skipping the cocktail hour as well, doing family pictures and then eating. I figure cocktail hour isn't necessary and I want my pictures! I love your idea of resort hopping to take pictures! You'd get so many great shots.

I'm so excited you loved Karen and that you'll be an S/D bride hopefully!!

It's so tough to decide between DFTW and S/D but I'm sure you'll make the right decision. They both have their own perks!

Keep us updated!

We also switched from DFTW to S/D. The restrictions was one of my main concerns. When I was looking at DFTW, I wanted to get married in the park, well then I couldn't have my outside photographer. And, after the horror stories, well you know.

I do know, I asked Karen about the Lakeside Terrace, and she told me they usually only open that up for groups of 250 or more, and that it is right next the the beach venue.

Welcome to the dark side...lol! Karen is awesome, I have really been happy working with her. She's so full of ideas and seems to know every vendor in a 50 mile radius. When I was just at the Swan this past weekend DH and I took a stroll down to peek at the ballrooms. They are really nice. I know this sounds silly, but they have a nice rug in the hallway leading down to the ballrooms too. So many resorts have insane rugs but I really like the decor of the swan.

I think you are making the right choice! From everything I've heard about on here, it seems like S/D is a great option that gives you a lot more freedom. If I had a Disney wedding I would have done S/D, it's more affordable and there have just been too many horror stories from DFTW that it would be so stressful for me. Congrats! All of your ideas sound great so I'm sure whatever details you choose will be wonderful :goodvibes

I think you are making a good decsion for yourself, like you said just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should do it. I would much rather be able to spend the money on the things I want for my wedding rather than pay for things that come in a "package" that i do not want. I just hate all the restrictions disney puts on things and if I read another story about how poor of a job a disney photographer or planner did I might lose it, all brides deserve the closest to perfection for their day (esp disney brides who spend a small fortune and travel from all over the place) - some of the things i've read are just unacceptable. Congrats on the change and i'm sure you'll be just as happy doing it this way! :goodvibes

Teresa sweetie - Congratulations on (almost) being a S/D bride. We are so excited to welcome you to our small and very distinguished group!!!!
I am certain that you will not regret your decision to join us!! Karen is an angel!! Looking forward to joining you on your planning journey!!!

Ok everyone as I am still trying to decide what to do and I am trying to decide about making the switch over to S/D here are some things I am thinking.

1. Do I really need a formal reception? I am starting to think not...so if that is the case what can I do instead.

2. How can I still include characters?

3. How can I still have my first dance, my dance with my mom and with my dad and he have a dance with his mom?

4. How can I still have a party and dance!

So here is what I am brainstorming:

Do the ceremony at the swan and spend some money on really decorating for my jewel tone theme. Put the wedding favors on the chairs with confetti to throw and a program.

1. Maybe I can find a place on swan property to do an hour to an hour and half little cocktail hour type thing but with brunchy type foods or also with their popcorn/movie snacks

If I can do this I can maybe set up an Ipod stereo thing to do those special dances and maybe the characters can come to this...perhaps we can do a small cake for this for those awesome cake pictures.

Also with this maybe a table can be set up for the vinylmation guest book and my other guest book idea. Maybe the best place to do this would be around the fountain? Or maybe in a small meeting space?

2. Maybe then for food we can go over to one of the restaurants and use a private dining room. I spoke to the Wave today and they were very helpful and said they can customize a brunch/lunch menu and using the space would be $800 which is their private room and would be able to hold our party.

another option with this is maybe the disney characters could come to this meal and maybe we could do the ipod stereo thing here instead and the small cake thing.

Also maybe I can bring in some centerpiece decorations for the tables to match my theme.

3. I am thinking that then in order to be able to accomplish my need to party with my friends and family and dance, perhaps that could be accomplished at Jelly Rolls or the Atlantic Dance Hall that night.

4. If we do the jelly rolls thing then perhaps we do the Wishes Dessert Party in place of a rehearsal dinner the night before.

Ok so...what do you guys think of this?

Hey there!! I sent you a message on facebook a couple days ago...but just found your PJ! We are having a S/D wedding...we were going to do a reception at Bluezoo in the afternoon (10 am) wedding, but we are skipping the reception all together now...point of my story is I have contact info for Liz at bluezoo and she was a great help to us. I really wish I was still have the reception, the space is beautiful, you will have it to yourself during the day, you can still dance if you want, you can decorate and it will sort of fit your color scheme already I believe, they have brunch menus you can pick from that arent too expensive, pretty much you can do what you want to a degree. If you have any questions let me know!! Otherwise I am following along and dont worry we are still trying to make our minds up about a lot of things too, its tough!! :goodvibes

Hey there!! I sent you a message on facebook a couple days ago...but just found your PJ! We are having a S/D wedding...we were going to do a reception at Bluezoo in the afternoon (10 am) wedding, but we are skipping the reception all together now...point of my story is I have contact info for Liz at bluezoo and she was a great help to us. I really wish I was still have the reception, the space is beautiful, you will have it to yourself during the day, you can still dance if you want, you can decorate and it will sort of fit your color scheme already I believe, they have brunch menus you can pick from that arent too expensive, pretty much you can do what you want to a degree. If you have any questions let me know!! Otherwise I am following along and dont worry we are still trying to make our minds up about a lot of things too, its tough!! :goodvibes

Why are you skipping out on the reception now? I am just curious because part of me wants to skip it do to the cost of food and decor. I want to scale back from a formal reception because I feel like it will cost less....I may be wrong. One of my concerns though is I really want to do some pictures in my dress at different resorts and I would need to talk to randy about how to accomplish this feat....my original plan of doing the ceremony/reception then it being done by like 3 made it easy to ask if we could just go do pictures at resorts like the beach club and then the wilderness lodge. Now though I am just not sure what to do. Maybe he will do a separate session with us to do resort pictures on another day...

Anyway let me know why you strayed from the reception?

Teresa

Ok everyone as I am still trying to decide what to do and I am trying to decide about making the switch over to S/D here are some things I am thinking.

1. Do I really need a formal reception? I am starting to think not...so if that is the case what can I do instead.

2. How can I still include characters?

3. How can I still have my first dance, my dance with my mom and with my dad and he have a dance with his mom?

4. How can I still have a party and dance!

So here is what I am brainstorming:

Do the ceremony at the swan and spend some money on really decorating for my jewel tone theme. Put the wedding favors on the chairs with confetti to throw and a program.

1. Maybe I can find a place on swan property to do an hour to an hour and half little cocktail hour type thing but with brunchy type foods or also with their popcorn/movie snacks

If I can do this I can maybe set up an Ipod stereo thing to do those special dances and maybe the characters can come to this...perhaps we can do a small cake for this for those awesome cake pictures.

Also with this maybe a table can be set up for the vinylmation guest book and my other guest book idea. Maybe the best place to do this would be around the fountain? Or maybe in a small meeting space?

2. Maybe then for food we can go over to one of the restaurants and use a private dining room. I spoke to the Wave today and they were very helpful and said they can customize a brunch/lunch menu and using the space would be $800 which is their private room and would be able to hold our party.

another option with this is maybe the disney characters could come to this meal and maybe we could do the ipod stereo thing here instead and the small cake thing.

Also maybe I can bring in some centerpiece decorations for the tables to match my theme.

3. I am thinking that then in order to be able to accomplish my need to party with my friends and family and dance, perhaps that could be accomplished at Jelly Rolls or the Atlantic Dance Hall that night.

4. If we do the jelly rolls thing then perhaps we do the Wishes Dessert Party in place of a rehearsal dinner the night before.

Ok so...what do you guys think of this?
1. You certainly don't need a formal reception. We aren't having a traditonal reception-- just doing dinner and Jellyrolls. Skipping the centerpieces, DJ, etc.

2. You could have characters come to your cake cutting or cocktail hour-- if you're having either of those. Or, if you're going to have some dancing you could have them come then.

3. If you did something like Bluezoo you could still have dancing. I think we're going to have our first dances at Jellyrolls when we go. I hear the pianists can play just about anything. My dad and I are going to dance to a Billy Joel song (should be fine for them to play) and DFi and I wanted something from UP but we'll take whatever romantic Disney song they can play.

4. Jellyrolls or the Atlantic Dance Hall!! Still super fun but without the price tag. You'd probably enjoy the ADH better than Jellyrolls if you really want to dance!

I think your plan sounds good. Bluezoo would be perfect for what you want!! I love the Wave too so that's another great option.

You could easily have the characters go there and bring in some centerpieces if you want to decorate.

I'd do the DP the night before and do Jellyrolls/ADH the night of the wedding but that's just me!

Sounds like you're making progress!

PS. typing up my budget now.

I'm not having a reception, but just a dinner after the wedding at Ohana. It won't be private, but it is one of my favorites and it goes with my luau theme for the "reception", well, luau we will be having back home the following month.

Our plan is wedding at 4pm, then cake and toasts, then off to the Polynesian for dinner at 7:45. I want to keep everything on the casual side. Even my DF is dressing casual, probably white shirt and khaki pants.

I agree that if you want a beach wedding go for it. December's weather can be unpredictable though. I have been down there when it has been shorts all week and other times sweatshirts and jeans.

Just remember, do what YOU want to do, regardless of what everyone else thinks and if you keep changing things, then so be it! It is your day and you can make it however you want it to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter