Tell me your experience with a 5 yo and walking vs stroller

We did our first stroller free trip when DD was 5.5. It was awesome! We did play it by ear and decided that if she needed a stroller we would just rent one. She never needed it. We went in August and did rope drop, midday break by the pool and then PM park. She never complained either.
I am kind of thinking this will be our strategy. When we went with our 9yo twins they did awesome - rope drop to almost close 5 days in a row. We didn't have DD in tow because she was 18 months and stayed home with the grandparents. We know we will have to change out touring plans this time. We are thankfully going with the in laws so we figure afternoon breaks can happen and not everyone will have to leave the park.

I admire those who can just slow their pace down, take breaks, and catch it next time. If you are one of those people, you might be able to get by without a stroller, but it wouldn't work for us.
I think we would rather tailor our touring pace and go a little easier than to navigate crowds with a stroller. Over easter week this year i (just a single adult) had a tough time getting around MK with it being so crowded. We will be back in a year or two after next years trip and this coming april we will be there for a week (7 park days) so we can slow things down for her to enjoy and to keep our sanity

Last edited:
My "kids" are now 24, 20, and 14. We went at every age imaginable. At 5, I would say all of my kids at one time or another needed the stroller. They were all capable of walking, but a full day at the parks wore them out. Especially if we stayed till close, it was much easier to leave the park with a stroller than to try and carry them out. After all, it's likely you'll be tired too! When they got to that age, we usually opted for a light, cheap umbrella stroller that had a small hood to shade the sun. If after the first day you don't think it's needed, you can leave it in the room and go without. :)

We didn't use a stroller for our oldest at WDW at all (he was 3 on our first trip, walked everywhere we went for 13 days and didn't complain. He didn't use a stroller at home, it didn't occur to me to get one for him). Our youngest used a stroller until he was 4, and that was it. We took it when he was 5, but he refused to use it, so we left it in the car the whole time. We did always take a break in the afternoon, but they are just active kids and used to hiking, etc. Once they got a little older (6/7 or so), they pointed out kids their age in strollers and asked why they couldn't walk. We just told them people are different.

I gotta say that I was baffled why anyone would say it is easier without a stroller and now I'm wondering if the type of stroller has more to do with it. We use a BOB and it makes everything so much easier:
- a place to sit (kids and grown ups) - a storage unit for food/clothes/water/souvenirs/bubble guns/balloon tie down/you get the idea
-a quiet place for a tired/frustrated/overwhelmed child to hide or sleep (laying down)
- a safe spot to keep everyone together in the hordes of human cattle
- a fun little ride up and down curbs and skating ahead like you do with the grocery store carts.

Now, if your stroller cannot perform these functions, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Bottom line, if you have a BOB or equivalently useful stroller (if there is such a thing)...bring it. If you're thinking an umbrella stroller will do the job...I don't think it will and it might be best to go without.

Full disclosure: we are doing our first WDW trip this fall, but are DLR vets, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

It totally depends on the kid. We weren't able to keep our oldest girl in a stroller since she was three. It didn't matter how much we walked.

I would definitely bring a stroller for a five year old.

With a five year old, you may also need snacks, water bottles, juice boxes, a jacket (the buses can get cold), a change of clothes (if she gets wet- my daughter loves to get soaked at the various attractions but she can't stand to actually BE wet when she leaves the attractions), etc.

The first trip we took sans stroller was when my older DD was 6 1/2. IMO, it was the perfect age to lose the stroller. She was old enough to walk a lot and also old enough to not need a lot of little extras I would have to carry around. It was very liberating and I loved traveling without a stroller that trip, but I don't think it would be liberating if your child is not ready to be out of the stroller yet.

All children are different. I know my almost five year old would absolutely not do well without a stroller, and I don't think she will until she is at least six.

There should certainly be no guilt about using a stroller for a five year old.

I gotta say that I was baffled why anyone would say it is easier without a stroller and now I'm wondering if the type of stroller has more to do with it. We use a BOB and it makes everything so much easier:
- a place to sit (kids and grown ups) - a storage unit for food/clothes/water/souvenirs/bubble guns/balloon tie down/you get the idea
-a quiet place for a tired/frustrated/overwhelmed child to hide or sleep (laying down)
- a fun little ride up and down curbs and skating ahead like you do with the grocery store carts.

Now, if your stroller cannot perform these functions, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Bottom line, if you have a BOB or equivalently useful stroller (if there is such a thing)...bring it. If you're thinking an umbrella stroller will do the job...I don't think it will and it might be best to go without.

Full disclosure: we are doing our first WDW trip this fall, but are DLR vets, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Pushing a stroller is heavy. It takes a lot of energy. Finding stroller parking before a ride and then finding the stroller after. Folding it up before getting on the buses. That's enough for me to hate strollers. Going without a stroller was very freeing. Once we got rid of the stroller we also went bagless.

It totally depends on the kid. We weren't able to keep our oldest girl in a stroller since she was three. It didn't matter how much we walked.

This is very true. We did strollerless when DD was 5.5. DS never would've been ok at 5 without a stroller.

Pushing a stroller is heavy. It takes a lot of energy

Not with a Bob or another top end jogger.

Folding it up before getting on the buses.

The amount of time getting on and off busses is minimal as to the convenience the right stroller can provide for hours while in the parks. My mom is 66 now and was 65 on her last trip with a 40+ lb 5 year old and had no issues whatsoever maneuvering our Bob stroller. She actually preferred to push it.

Not with a Bob or another top end jogger.

The amount of time getting on and off busses is minimal as to the convenience the right stroller can provide for hours while in the parks. My mom is 66 now and was 65 on her last trip with a 40+ lb 5 year old and had no issues whatsoever maneuvering our Bob stroller. She actually preferred to push it.

If my kid needed a stroller I definitely would've used one. No way would I torture myself or everyone at WDW with a miserable crying child. Lol. we were ready and willing to rent one if she ever needed it.

Pushing a stroller is heavy. It takes a lot of energy. Finding stroller parking before a ride and then finding the stroller after. Folding it up before getting on the buses. That's enough for me to hate strollers. Going without a stroller was very freeing. Once we got rid of the stroller we also went bagless.
A bob is super easy to push, even with one kid in the seat, one on the front wheel foot well and a ton of stuff loaded up, I can steer easily with one hand. Folding for a bus would be a huge pain, we never have to do that at DL. I'm intrigued by the stroller parking...is it actually difficult to find a spot to park?

With these threads I always like to say you know your kids best. Do what you think is right. In my own experiences our first family trip our kids were 3 (almost 4) and 5 and we did not use a stroller and were fine. The kids did great and we had no problems. But again I think it depends on your kids and how you plan to tour the parks.

A bob is super easy to push, even with one kid in the seat, one on the front wheel foot well and a ton of stuff loaded up, I can steer easily with one hand. Folding for a bus would be a huge pain, we never have to do that at DL. I'm intrigued by the stroller parking...is it actually difficult to find a spot to park?

It's not hard finding a parking since each ride/area has a designated spot. But sometimes CMs move the strollers around to make space or organize things. Then you have to look for it. It's important to have something on the stroller, like a balloon attached to it, so you can find it if it's moved.

This is definitely a "know your kid" type of situation. If you're not sure, then bring one - you can always leave it in the hotel room if you find you don't need it, but if you do need it, then it is available. We have done DLR many, many times with our kids at various ages. That resort is much smaller than WDW and mine were still worn out - at age 5, my youngest didn't have a stroller but rode on his uncle's shoulders for the final 2 hours we were in the parks. So we definitely would have needed a stroller at WDW for him at age 5. We did WDW when he was 7 and we didn't need a stroller at all, and did many long days in the park. At five, however, he would have needed one.

Took each of my kids and my gd on their first trips at age 5-rope drop to close each trip (but only 1 MK day each time). Never used a stroller.

We had 5 and 7 year-olds make it without hotel breaks in the August heat without a stroller. If they/we got too hot or tired, we either stopped for a snack, or found a cool attraction or show to sit at for a while. I suppose if kids don't ever go outside and run/play hard or walk or anything, they certainly wouldn't make it walking around Disney. The 7-year-old made it around Disney without a stroller when he was 4, as well. He didn't get carried, either.

Pros to not using a stroller (in my opinion):
Not having to fold it up and carry it on to and off of the bus
SOOO much easier walking through thick crowds than trying to push a stroller and squeezing through non-existent space
You're not taking up as much space in thick crowds, and for every less stroller, it makes the crowds seem less thick. It seems like more and more people are coming to the parks with strollers (not that that's wrong, just a statement of what it looks like), which makes it feel like the crowds are a lot worse.
Even jogging strollers become tiring to push after a while, especially in the heat when you have a child and a storage basket full of stuff adding weight to it (there's no way I would personally ever consider anything but a jogging stroller as others are too difficult to quickly maneuver and turn)
Less likely to store a bunch of unnecessary stuff under the stroller that you then have to sort through every time you need a diaper. Also, you don't have to empty out a basket full of souvenir cups and popcorn buckets and leftovers that probably will eventually be thrown out anyway every time you have to fold up the stroller. (Also, if you're travelling with relatives, you don't have them thinking your stroller is their personal mobile home and shoving sweatshirts (in 95 degree weather), water bottles, their souvenirs, and tons of other crap in your stroller that they don't feel like carrying themselves and most of which probably wouldn't be brought to the park anyway, except that you have the stroller, so why not. Then every time you need something you brought that was a necessity, you have to dig through all of their crap for ten minutes to find it, then play tetris trying to get it all to fit back in there again- yes, I'm talking to you, mom.)
You don't have to find a space to store it in your room and won't have to worry about tripping on it in the middle of the night
You don't have to worry about packing a rain cover and remembering to put it on the stroller every time you leave it
You don't have to worry about remembering to take everything of value out whenever you park it and don't have to worry about your child's favorite stuffed animal being stolen from the stroller. It's so old and ratty no one would want it anyway, but it cannot be replaced, so you still worry- all you other parents know what I'm talking about.
You don't have to worry AS MUCH about little one throwing their shoes and socks out of the stroller and losing them forever because if they are walking, they are LESS likely to lose them. Yes, it still can happen, but probably with much less frequency.
You don't have to spend extra time parking it and looking for it before and after attractions (no, it may not always take a lot of time, but when it's crowded it can be a pain)
You will most likely have necessities in a backpack with you at all times rather than under the stroller, which definitely makes it convenient when baby/ toddler needs a diaper and you're not with the stroller
At hotels like CBR that don't have elevators, you don't have to drag a stroller up to your 2nd floor room

Sure, strollers are a necessity at times, especially with babies and toddlers. I will be bringing a single jogging stroller in August for DS who will be just shy of 2 because he will need naps and it will help to keep him contained when the crowds are bad. At that age, they simply don't understand the importance of staying with you at all times. I also have a 7 year old DD and there's no way I would consider bringing a stroller for her. Yes, I am sure she will get tired, but our rule has always been (since she turned 3 and stopped using a stroller) with anywhere we go that if you want to stay, you walk. It stops a lot of the complaining and when she says she's tired, that's the time to leave. Once a kid's legs get tired, all of them is probably tired. Of course they want to stay and ride more stuff, but even when they aren't walking, kids still have their limits. I don't see the point in trying to continue to push kids to keep going who are clearly worn out by letting them ride in a stroller. They are still worn out and it's better to leave when they first start showing the signs of being tired than to try to get a couple last minute rides or shows that could potentially lead to a melt down. At least, that's what works for us.

I took my DS6 without a stroller. He's also much taller than most other 6 year olds and didn't ever want to sit still. As other posters have mentioned, it all depends on the child. My other adult companion got tired way before DS did, so we were always coerced into leaving early and being back to our room by 7.

Just go with what feels right to you.

When my oldest was 7 she sat in the stroller. We had a sit and stand and 3 kids, youngest was 2 and sat up front, son was almost 5 and oldest was 7. They both took turns in the back, sometimes my youngest would walk and either sat in the front with out a fuss or the older 2 sat/stood in the back...made for a very heavy squeaky stroller. But they had options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter