Tell me about Tom Sawyer Island?

My ds7 absolutely loves Tom Sawyer's Island. He has made me promise that we won't skip it on our upcoming trip. My dd7 likes it, but could skip it without complaint.

Their favorite part is the Fort with the escape tunnel. My dh and I usually find somewhere in the fort to sit while they run through the Fort. For the rest of the island, we go where they go. I don't think I'd be comfortable just letting them explore at will because it is fairly large and I think they could get confused about where they are on the island. But, as long as we are in the general vincinity of them, they are allowed to run freely.

Here's another pic of a paintbrush that we found

IMG_2338.jpg

TSI doesn't open til 10am & yes you should be on the 1st raft over to find a paintbrush - our entire raft knew about them so it was a mad dash to find one! Also for clarification, you dont get an actual fast pass as a reward for finding a paintbrush. You get a certificate made up that allows you to go in the FP line once, only for BTMRR or SM. Since DS8 hates both of those rides we gave ours away!

Also someone mentioned Aunt Polly's snackbar - that closed awhile back. There are still rocking chairs there where the snackbar used to be, but there is no food or drink on TSI that I'm aware of.

TSI seems to be one of the best kept secrets of a quiet getaway in MK. We go over & play checkers (have never had to wait), run around the caves, bridges & forts, and then sit & relax in the rocking chairs. You get a great view of the 3pm parade from those rockers! I've never encountered more than 15 other people on the entire island the same time we were there.

It's quite peaceful. We were over there one afternoon when it started to rain. We waited out the rain rocking in the chairs at Aunt Polly's and watching the "tourists" on the mainland.

I am so excited to visit it. It must be a "secret" place. We have been to WDW 2 times (7 days each) and both times we never even knew about it. I guess we were so busy with the big attractions we had to see we overlooked it. I am looking forward to a slower pace this trip since we have done most things a few times. This would be a great spot for our 3 little kids to play in a more layed back environment.

Thanks for all the feedback

Your kids are probably just the right ages to appreciate the charms of this often-overlooked Disney classic.

Tom Sawyer's Island is actually two islands connected by a long suspension foot bridge. You get there via raft (the dock is located next to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). On the Island, kids can run down the trails that cross the island, and explore environments taken from and inspired by "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain (it may be a good idea to screen one of the many movies these books inspired before your visit so your kids will appreciate the Island). There's the "Mystery Mine" (where water flows uphill), Injun Joe's Cave, Harper's Mill, Aunt Polly's Landing (home of the only Coke vending machines in the MK), and Fort Langhorn -- a western-style fort where kids can fire rifles and slip through the Fort's escape tunnel. On top of the Island's tallest hill is Tom & Huck's Scavenger Fort, a playhouse where they'd pretend to be pirates (complete with the Jolly Roger flying above the fort). Near the scavenger fort is a picnic area that is one of the most secluded and tranquil spots in the Magic Kingdom -- and an excellent place to enjoy a lunch brought over with you from the Mainland. Very recommended as a place to slow down for an hour or two. For my final recommendation, just see the quote in my signature at the bottom of this post.

OK, really liked Tom Sawyer island as a kid... mainly because of the 1973 Johnny Whittaker, Jody Foster version: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sawyer_(1973_film). It's not a Disney movie, but it should be!

we love this as a chill out spot. :goodvibes
we found a paintbrush, and got a free fastpass( ours was generic and good anywhere)

it is a great place to relax, and have UNSTRUCTERED time, as a previous poster said.

The Island is one of my favorite places in MK. As a kid we always went over to TSI. My impression on the last trip was maybe it was not a popular as it once was since everyone wants a roller coaster ride and TSI is more sedate.

I highly recommend getting there to be on the first raft to let the kids hunt for the paint brushes. We found two on our last trip which was our kids first time on TSI.

My youngest DD, who was 5 at the time, freaked out in one of the tunnels. This tunnel has some wind noise and for some reason it really scared her. This is the kid who went on Space Mountain three times in a row and conned her DGF into riding the Yeti ride aka EE. DGF is afraid of heights and has never been on a roller coaster in his life. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

TSI is one of my favorite places in MK and WDW. Something refreshing about the place and its not a thrill ride.

Later,
Dan

Darn it if I didn't just type this huge story and previewed it and lost it! :sad2: That's what I get for drinking a glass of wine in a snow storm. Let me try again:

We hadn't been to Tom Sawyer's Island in years. I guess I thought the "kids" had outgrown it. So, during this trip, on 12/30, DS (17) and I made the rope drop together at MK. We had a blast being silly and riding all the rides in Fantasyland while there were no waits. We rode Pooh, Snow White, and Peter Pan to name a few. Then, we jumped on the train and I started telling him the story of the paintbrushes on Tom Sawyer's Island. It was about 9:45 so he asked if we could go look for them. Just about that time, DH and DD (20) arrived at the park so they met us at the rafts. DS shared the paintbrush story and we headed over. We all split up and searched the island from top to bottom. After about an hour of searching and seeing others with paintbrushes, we figured they were gone for the day. Before heading back to the "mainland", dear old mom had to go to the bathroom for the hundredth time. When I came out, I announced that I didn't find a paintbrush in the bathroom. My family was estactic and screaming that they already found one!

While I was in the bathroom, DD and DS sat down to play checkers. DH leaned on a stack of crates and bumped a burlap sack which moved to reveal a hidden paintbrush! We got two fastpasses to either Splash Mountain or BTMRR. We used one for each ride but they never collected it! We only rode each ride once as we were getting ready to head over to EPCOT to meet my parents for the rest of the day. DS wanted to know why we didn't look for paintbrushes EVERY day of our vacation!!!

Here's the photo story:

PICT0978.jpg

PICT0979.jpg

PICT0981.jpg

Thanks for all the great feedback. I hope we find a paint brush - how fun is that for a kids (and adults).

We were there late afternoon this past September and found 2 of the brushes. We took one and left one for another family to find. It was fun and the first time we had seen the paintbrushes although we had heard of them before.

We're another family who's never done this.

After reading this thread, I'm putting it on our list of Must Dos :thumbsup2

Question: My mom will be in an ECV. Can she take that on the raft and if so, can she navigate it on the Island?

If not, she is able to walk, just not long distances.

We're another family who's never done this.

After reading this thread, I'm putting it on our list of Must Dos :thumbsup2

Question: My mom will be in an ECV. Can she take that on the raft and if so, can she navigate it on the Island?

If not, she is able to walk, just not long distances.

I would think she would be able to get on the raft. It may be harder for to navigate around the island, but there are definitely places that she can park and relax. There are some great relaxing spots on that island. She won't be able to do the "rope" bridge, but again there are places she can stop and relax and take in the fresh Disney air.

We have been planning to make a special stop at Tom Sawyer Island and get a few pictures.

My husband's last name is Sawyer and my last name is Finn.

We have been planning to make a special stop at Tom Sawyer Island and get a few pictures.

My husband's last name is Sawyer and my last name is Finn.

That is so cute :love: - with names like that you are bound to find a paintbrush.

Have a great time.

Thank you for all the information on the Island. I have never been there, and we have been to Disney 6 times in the past few years. I am going to go this time! Who knows, maybe we will find a paintbrush!

I'm so glad to have read this thread. We're going in March and I'm trying to think of some new things we haven't tried in our past trips. WWoS, Disneyquest and now I'm adding TSI to our list. Sounds like fun. Love all the pics.
:yay:

My 5 yo DS thought it was only OK. I was a nervous wreck the whole time because there are fire ants on the island. Having previously lived in FL I know they can ruin your whole day if not the week.

We are going to be there with several kids and they youngest of those will be almost 2. Is this appropriate for them, too??

No. The rafts are not accessible to ECVs; she'll have to either stand or transfer to a standard wheelchair (they have "loaners" at the dock). However, the Island is not wheelchair accessible; there are lots of stairs and steps (the park maps designate the Island as "You must be ambulatory to experience this attraction"). This is because the Island opened in 1974, long before the Americans with Disabilities Act.

We are going to be there with several kids and they youngest of those will be almost 2. Is this appropriate for them, too??
Of course. The Island is appropriate for guests of all ages.

I should also mention that the Paintbrushes are not always put out every day. Sometimes Guests keep the paintbrushes as souvenirs... and they don't have enough to set out.

Thanks Buzz LB :thumbsup2

I guess she can decide if she wants to go over and find a place to relax or not make the trip at all. Like I said, she can walk, just not for long distances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!