Tell me about Tom Sawyer Island?

nicki.momof3

Addicted to Disney Vacations
Some how we have totally missed this attractions in our last 2 visits to WDW. We are going in April with our 3 kids (ages 4,5,6). What is this attraction? Would the kids like it? How long does it take?

Any info. would be appreciated.

Your kids are probably just the right ages to appreciate the charms of this often-overlooked Disney classic.

Tom Sawyer's Island is actually two islands connected by a long suspension foot bridge. You get there via raft (the dock is located next to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). On the Island, kids can run down the trails that cross the island, and explore environments taken from and inspired by "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain (it may be a good idea to screen one of the many movies these books inspired before your visit so your kids will appreciate the Island). There's the "Mystery Mine" (where water flows uphill), Injun Joe's Cave, Harper's Mill, Aunt Polly's Landing (home of the only Coke vending machines in the MK), and Fort Langhorn -- a western-style fort where kids can fire rifles and slip through the Fort's escape tunnel. On top of the Island's tallest hill is Tom & Huck's Scavenger Fort, a playhouse where they'd pretend to be pirates (complete with the Jolly Roger flying above the fort). Near the scavenger fort is a picnic area that is one of the most secluded and tranquil spots in the Magic Kingdom -- and an excellent place to enjoy a lunch brought over with you from the Mainland. Very recommended as a place to slow down for an hour or two. For my final recommendation, just see the quote in my signature at the bottom of this post.

My kids (3, 5 & 7 at the time) liked it. They especially liked going through the dark caves. We didn't spend as much time over there as I would have liked because we were traveling with other people - I think we spent about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes and weren't able to see everything.

Your kids are probably just the right ages to appreciate the charms of this often-overlooked Disney classic.

Tom Sawyer's Island is actually two islands connected by a long suspension foot bridge. You get there via raft (the dock is located next to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). On the Island, kids can run down the trails that cross the island, and explore environments taken from and inspired by "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain (it may be a good idea to screen one of the many movies these books inspired before your visit so your kids will appreciate the Island). There's the "Mystery Mine" (where water flows uphill), Injun Joe's Cave, Harper's Mill, Aunt Polly's Landing (home of the only Coke vending machines in the MK), and Fort Langhorn -- a western-style fort where kids can fire rifles and slip through the Fort's escape tunnel. On top of the Island's tallest hill is Tom & Huck's Scavenger Fort, a playhouse where they'd pretend to be pirates (complete with the Jolly Roger flying above the fort). Near the scavenger fort is a picnic area that is one of the most secluded and tranquil spots in the Magic Kingdom -- and an excellent place to enjoy a lunch brought over with you from the Mainland. Very recommended as a place to slow down for an hour or two. For my final recommendation, just see the quote in my signature at the bottom of this post.

WOW thank you for the great discription. I don't know how we missed it for 2 years. We are going at Easter and I am dreading how packed it will be in the park so this may be just the thing we need for a little slower time. I am excited and I think the kids will love it. They love to explore.

Do you know if the line gets long for the rafts over. Is this an attration that has really long wait times and we should try to hit first or is it pretty resonable lines and we can wait until the afternoon?

I sent my parents over there a few weeks ago while I rode SP and BTRR. They said it was fun, they were amazed at how dark some of those caves were - so hopefully it will be enjoyable for you also.

We went last time with DD5. Not worth it IMO. Just some paths and a tunnel or two, it looked very neglected, even beyond the themeing. Glad to say we did it once, but wouldn't bother again. Much better use of parktime elsewhere. (I'd rather sit and people watch on Main Street than do that again.)

Only cool part - the views of BTMRR and Haunted Mansion...definitely angles you don't get to see.

SkierPete

We took DS4 there during our trip in August, and I'm not sure who had more fun, him or me! It was a nice place for him to burn up some energy, and run wild a bit, and a good workout for me trying to keep up with him. One word of warning, those caves (and the escape tunnel) have some might tight spots in them. I'm about 6' tall, and 225 lbs, and there were a few spots in there that could certainly bring on the claustrophobia, but it was good fun none the less.

My boys (7 and 5) have always loved Tom Sawyer Island. We had never been there before we had kids, but I'm reasonably sure my DS's would spend the afternoon there if we would let them! As it is now, we probably spend an hour - running through caves, crossing the barrel bridge and playing in the Fort. It's a favorite and definitely worth a look, IMHO!:goodvibes

We saw this attraction for the first time last year with our kids, at the time 7 and 9, and spent almost an hour over there. It's very unstructured "play time", and we all had a blast bouncing on the barrel bridge, shooting the guns at the top of the Fort, etc.

I don't know that I'd recommend it for a first visit, but if you're there on an afternoon with nothing planned, it's really an excellent "escape" from the rest of the MK. Really cool!

TSI is a great place if you have young kids. My sons, 6 and 7, absolutely love it. A PP called it "unstructured" and I think that's its' greatest attribute: it is one of the only truly unstructured attractions in WDW (at least of that magnitude). I honestly think my wife and I could drop off the kids in the morning and pick them up in the evening and they would love it. Obviously, I would never do that, but they wish I would!

Do you know if the line gets long for the rafts over. Is this an attration that has really long wait times and we should try to hit first or is it pretty resonable lines and we can wait until the afternoon?
Sometimes the wait times for the rafts can get long -- especially on busy days as Guests seek out anything that looks like it might have a short wait.

When I visit the Island I typically go early in the morning. On a slow day it feels like you're the only one there.

Watch your time guide because it closes before the rest of the park..

We went about 1 hour before the Island closed and there was maybe 10 of us there. My oldest of 12 ran around throught the cave and the fort etc...My youngest and I played Checkers in the fort...they had to come run us out of there...it was very nice...It was also nice being there with really nobody on there with us...Also they have rocking chairs and a snack bar to sit around

Also, we have never done it, if you go early they hide paint brushes to find and if you fnd 1 you can exchange for a FP...

We took all three of our boys this morning and they absolutely loved it (11, 4 & 3). Two of them found paintbrushes and got fastpasses for finding them. It will be a must do on our list next time we visit!

Tell me more about the paint brushes? How many are there? Are they easy to find? Are they an all day Fastpass or what? Is there a mad dash to find them?

Tell me more about the paint brushes? How many are there? Are they easy to find? Are they an all day Fastpass or what? Is there a mad dash to find them?

I will post a pic later tonight when I have more time but I understand that there are 6. Although the brushes are not advertised anywhere many people know about them so getting there at attraction opening would be a good idea. The island opens later then the rest of the park which helps a bit.

Is it a relatively "safe" place for the kids? I hear a lot about the "kids running around", but is it easy to not loose track of them? Is there more than one way off of the island?
I use to go there back when I was little, but I've never actually taken my kids there (in the many trips we've taken as a family, we haven't gone there once)...I've always said we're going- but we never do. I want to take them for sure this time, but I am wondering how it works...do the kids just run around and do things while parents watch, or do parents join their kids and make sure they don't get lost, or what?

I am a person who really dislikes the 'honey I shrunk the kids' play area, because I have a 4 and 6 year old (next month they'll be 5 and 7) but I'm always scared that I'm going to loose them when we're there, because there are so many slides, small places to hide and such...

I want to take them for sure this time, but I am wondering how it works...do the kids just run around and do things while parents watch, or do parents join their kids and make sure they don't get lost, or what?
Great question?

Also what kind of fast passes are they - all day all rides or for one ride?

I will post a pic later tonight when I have more time but I understand that there are 6. Although the brushes are not advertised anywhere many people know about them so getting there at attraction opening would be a good idea. The island opens later then the rest of the park which helps a bit.

What time does the island open?

Tom Sawyer's Island opens at 10. The only way to get on and off the island is the rafts. Adults can have as much fun as the kids on the island. Parents can run around and explore with their kids.

Here is a picture from this summer's visit to Tom Sawyer's Island

James_graduation_215.jpg

My kids, ages 9 & 11, had a great time hunting for the Paint Brushes. that made their whole day to be able to find one.

You can read all of the details of their adventure at: http://www.onlywdworld.com/2008/09/magic-on-tom-sawyers-island.html

If you have young children, I would definitely recommend trying to do this at least once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!