Tell me about the electricity --- In a tent :)

novdisneydreams

Mouseketeer
I have some questions about electricity - I have seen pics of the pole/tree stump things at the FW sites. Is that where the electricity is? If you are tent camping ... how do you handle the fact that the cord would be on the ground? Is that dangerous? I was thinking of trying to run it through a piece of PVC to keep it dry ... Do you put a power strip in your tent - use a heavy duty extension cord? How many outlets are there? Do you leave stuff plugged in during the day? I am looking at using an a/c, a crock pot, Christmas lights or mini electric lanterns, and possibly a mini fridge. Any ideas ??? My main concern is the summer rain/lightning. Should you be in a tent if there is lightning,anyway - esp w/stuff plugged in? And if not, what do you do when your tent is your "room"?

Sorry I'm so clueless - we are new to civilized camping - I am trying to think of everything that I need to know about FW:)

Yes, the "stump" is your electric pole. There are two standard duplex household outlets that are on that pole. They are Ground Fault Protected meaning that if the least little bit of water gets inside your electrical connection, the outlet will shut off.

I would recommend heavy duty outdoor extension cords, then a power strip inside your tent. No need for PVC on those. Those cords are designed to be outside and outdoor string lights are designed to be outside. No worries there.

If you feel uncomfortable about a storm, you can always hang out in the comfort station laundry room for a bit.

We used two outdoor extension cords and power strips. The one that went into the dining tent was used for the fan, mini fridge and griddle (when in use) and the one that went into the tent was just used for mini lights, fan and lantern. We didn't have bad weather while we were there in May, but as the pp mentioned, those cords are designed for outdoor use so it wasn't an issue.

Have a great time!

We used an outdoor extension cord and outdoor Christmas lights it rained and there was lighting while we were there and there were no problems.

We ran the outdoor extension cord into the tent where we plugged in our things. The most we ever ran at once, though, were two fans and a cell phone.

Don't know how much that helps, but I vowed to try since so many people helped me before I went on our trip! :)

We go tent camping at the fort atleast 1 a month. Our last trip was for 5 days first week of June and it rained off and on first 2 days. We run 2 heavy duty extension cords from the outlets and then a power strip off each of those. One to the Kitchen/gazebo the other to the tent. We run our mini fridge,griddles,outdoor lights,even a small tv at times off that one. The 2nd one we run to the tent and place the power strip inside,where we run a lamp,cell phones,and fans. We have not had a problem with running the cords and good ole fl thunderstorms. We are heading back to the Fort July 1-5 if your traveling these dates feel free to stop by and say hello, just look for the green mickey ears with Luvftwilderness :wave2:: Hope you enjoy your trip to FW as much as we do! Hope this helped :thumbsup2

Sounds like my set up.

I would use an outdoor stake for the AC/lights in side the tent. It was one of those timers that turn on when the sun sets, with the option for staying on for 8-10-12hrs-always on then turning off. Since we were usually on at the site at night time, this allowed the AC to turn on and cool the tent off before we got back, and shut off in the morning without us doing anything. And i also plugged a rope light into it for finding our way back at night. Very very helpful. A second heavy duty cord went to the mini fridge, which we left on the picnic table (the long one, not the new square one). All of them were heavy outdoor cords, and then inside the tent I would use the small indoor cord to place the lamp, cell phone charger and anything else we needed.

Just make sure you bring different legnths. Because they're never long enough. And all the cords I use are the ones for Christmas decorations.
If there was a heavy downpour, I just tied a couple of plastic bags around the outlets to help protect them. I've never had any problems. Of course it's not anything I do with Christmas lights, and I've never had any issues with that.

I have never camped at Disney, but go camping near home. Just thought I would pass along a tip that has worked quite well for us. We purchased the inexpensive solar garden lights, now standard camping equipment. We put them at the corners of our tents, guide ropes etc as markers and then after dark, they are most helpful as a guide so as not to trip after dark.

We usually go non-electric, so this idea has saved us when arriving back at our campsite after dark and our flashlights are in the tents.

Just thought I would pass this along.

I have never camped at Disney, but go camping near home. Just thought I would pass along a tip that has worked quite well for us. We purchased the inexpensive solar garden lights, now standard camping equipment. We put them at the corners of our tents, guide ropes etc as markers and then after dark, they are most helpful as a guide so as not to trip after dark.

We usually go non-electric, so this idea has saved us when arriving back at our campsite after dark and our flashlights are in the tents.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Great idea!!

We used a 5000 BTU 110V window unit. The new portable A/Cs they have now are great. You can put the whole unit inside the tent and run the exhaust and condensation hoses out the door or other opening and zip the opening closed around the hoses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter