tell me about going to Disney solo

Pre-Covid at least once a year, sometimes twice a year.
Would I do it again, got a trip booked for this April.
Pros - you can do what you want when you want however you want. My adult son goes with me and he likes to sleep late, I'm an early riser. I like to get up, go for an early morning walk around the resort, make a cup of coffee and sit on the balcony if I have one and enjoy the resort waking up. It's hard to do with him sleeping. I'm not that ride centric but there are a few rides I like that he can't ride because he has nerve damage in his spine so nothing that jerks. I like to wander around the parks and just look at all the details, he likes that too but he also likes to sit and drink refreshing adult beverages a little more than I (or longer than I).
Cons - seriously there aren't many as far as I'm concerned. I prefer to have company when I'm eating at booths during the festivals because we can get to more booths with two sharing. I travel solo to other places a lot, my hubby hates to travel unless we are in our RV and even then he rarely likes to actually get out and explore where we are. I love to explore and try new things so I go solo. I'm used to eating in restaurants by myself so that is no big deal.

I have done two trips solo...one pre COVID and one just this February. I have booked a trip for April with friends and added a solo day at the end.
Pros: I stay in whatever resort suits me.
I make plans that I can change at a moments notice
I eat when I’m hungry
sit and people watch if I like
get up early or sleep in and eat breakfast in bed if the mood strikes me
spend time shopping or taking pictures
enjoy adult beverages whenever I want
I feel safe using Disney transportation and staying at their resorts. Before COVID I got back to my resort late at night and felt safe walking to my room
Cons:
meal times can feel lonely... but I can call or text friends and family
it can be awkward on certain rides to be solo. I flew the millennium falcon by myself in February. It was a unique experience but the ride can be more fun with other people.
Before COVID I met many friendly families and people willing to talk to me. It’s harder now because of social distancing.
I genuinely enjoy my solo trips and will continue to go

Thanks! I joined this group specifically to pick the brains of ‘like minds’. I really want to go to WDW but no one in my life right now is interested. So I’m entertaining the idea of going solo.
I am in the same situation most of the time. My husband is not a fan and my sisters can’t always go at the same time I can.
I think you should go for it. I am glad I did and really enjoy my solo trips. I started out with 4 solo days and then my sisters joined me for my birthday. It was a great trip.

have you done it? many times
pro's? you get to make all your own choices about what to do and when to do it; you aren't keeping anyone waiting if you decide to take a break for any reason; before the pandemic they could always fit one more person on a boat (sadly not so with current restrictions)
con's? not having someone right there to share the experiences and the conversation
would you do it again? yes

Also, lots of people will post on this forum ahead of time, to look for people who'd like to meet up during their solo trips. You can start by just meeting for a meal. If you find compatible people, you might meet again on future trips, or even become friends. You might find new trip buddies for future trips.

I had a five night solo business trip at WDW. I spent my days at EPCOT working and the rest of the time at parks. I'd get QS, sometimes take it back to my villa. You spend your time anyway your want. We've made many trips as a family and empty nesters, but that was a unique trip. I had a great time!

I am in the same situation most of the time. My husband is not a fan and my sisters can’t always go at the same time I can.
I think you should go for it. I am glad I did and really enjoy my solo trips. I started out with 4 solo days and then my sisters joined me for my birthday. It was a great trip.

That sounds awesome. Did you eat out alone?
I guess that sounds silly. I have no problem eating out alone at home. But at WDW the eating out was such a big deal, so fun. I guess I’m wondering if the experience is as good with no one to talk about it with.

I guess that sounds silly. I have no problem eating out alone at home. But at WDW the eating out was such a big deal, so fun. I guess I’m wondering if the experience is as good with no one to talk about it with.
Not the one you asked, but I'll comment anyway. Yes and no. The solo dining experience is better because you can focus more on the restaurant's theming (for those that are themed) and on the food, some of which you might not notice as much when interacting with companions. IMHO, the solo dining experience is also not as good, because you're not conversing with others. Some people don't mind this, and others miss having company. YMMV.

Before COVID I met many friendly families and people willing to talk to me. It’s harder now because of social distancing.

This is the one thing I’m not looking forward to on my next solo trip...some of my fondest memories of my solo trips have been the interesting people I’ve met and chatted with. It’s one reason I never get lonely when I go solo, I have all the blissful solitude I want but when I do want to socialize I can always strike up conversations.

I’ve only gone solo once, but loved it.
Pros: Do what you want, when you want. Met a couple lovely Dis folks and hung out with them; they were lovely fun folks.
Cons: NONE

I've gone solo at least 25 times, so obviously I'd do it again. Oddly, I've been very comfortable dining alone at WDW, but sort of uncomfortable dining alone at home. The two cons revolve around dining at CS restaurants. For one thing, there's no one to "hold" a table, so as a result, I'd get my food, then be stuck looking for a place to sit. For that reason, I eat lunch solo often at TS-guaranteed seat! The other problem is that CS meals are so HUGE, and there's no one for me to share with. Sometimes I order childs' meals but the selection is usually very limited. One huge pro for me is that I can go on whatever ride I want. If I want to ride Dumbo or Triceratop Spin 3 times, I've got no one to worry about embarrassing.

Solo trip is on my bucket list.

The pros for me are not having to know where every bathroom is and not having to make sure someone can get his seafood and alcohol at every meal, being on my own schedule and not worrying about someone else, keeping someone else happy, do what I want when I want how I want where I want.

Con -- as much thought as I've given to this for years, I haven't come up with any cons. I don't mind being alone.

Love, Love, Love my Mom's Mental Health trips which is what I call my solo Disney Trips.

I eat where I want, take as many pics as I want, relax as often as I want. It was cheaper to do things like dessert parties solo as well. Hope they come back someday.
I've done tours solo which I had a blast on - once I was the only person on the AK tour with the Elephants. It was fantastic. I can't wait for the tours to come back.

In the past I loved meeting new folks and chatting with them in lines. It is hard to do that now during these covid times but in February I did have a conversation with the family in front of me in line at POTC.

I was glad I didn't mind being alone during that February 2021 extra short trip thanks to me reinjuring my knee and having to leave and go home. Going during covid times I definitely felt the trip was different since it was almost impossible to talk to other people except for the Cast Members.
I did enjoy the day and a half I was there (I was supposed to be there for 4 days - oh well). I can't wait to go back solo.

I’ve gone solo probably 14-16 times, leaving my other half at home. Nearly all pros for me. Con - nobody to get a table for CS meals. It’s one of the reasons I either do TS for lunch or just snack for lunch. I do occasionally get sentimental at night at Epcot without my partner, so I tend to avoid WS dining at night because it feels very “couple-like”.

Visited solo twice, once for Food & Wine and once for Festival of the Holidays early December. I had a great time, so much less pressure booking everything, and blew off fast passes when I felt like relaxing instead. Next trip December 11-18 at Beach Club Villas, getting my first dose of the vaccine tomorrow morning. Hope the border is open by then, I'm on the other side. This last year has been a little crazy. :crazy2:

Visited solo twice, once for Food & Wine and once for Festival of the Holidays early December. I had a great time, so much less pressure booking everything, and blew off fast passes when I felt like relaxing instead. Next trip December 11-18 at Beach Club Villas, getting my first dose of the vaccine tomorrow morning. Hope the border is open by then, I'm on the other side. This last year has been a little crazy. :crazy2:

My next trip is solo but not by choice...my gf is also on the other side of the border. We are hoping things improve by fall so she can join me in October for the 50th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter