Target $10 gc with $50 purchase coupon

Target Debit Card Question.

So, I've been using the Target RedCard (credit card version) for some time. My question is about the debit card version of the RedCard. I searched the boards, but didn't see anything...so if I missed it I apologize.

I keep getting conflicting answers about if there is a limit on the debit card. I've called and emailed Target, and this is the gist of their response (this is word from word from message I got sent back):

Thanks for following up with us about your account!

As we mentioned, there may be limits on the total dollar amount of purchases and the number of times the card can be used within a certain length of time. Unfortunately we don't have details about those restrictions.

Umm, OK? So you can't tell me if you have limits on how much I can spend? So can anyone help me here and share their experiences? Have you ever been denied from using your debit card? Obviously there is a limit based on the amount in your checking account that the card is tied too...but if I try and buy $500 or $1000 or whatever in cards, are they going to say no?

So, I've been using the Target RedCard (credit card version) for some time. My question is about the debit card version of the RedCard. I searched the boards, but didn't see anything...so if I missed it I apologize.

I keep getting conflicting answers about if there is a limit on the debit card. I've called and emailed Target, and this is the gist of their response (this is word from word from message I got sent back):

As we mentioned, there may be limits on the total dollar amount of purchases and the number of times the card can be used within a certain length of time. Unfortunately we don't have details about those restrictions.

Umm, OK? So you can't tell me if you have limits on how much I can spend? So can anyone help me here and share their experiences? Have you ever been denied from using your debit card? Obviously there is a limit based on the amount in your checking account that the card is tied too...but if I try and buy $500 or $1000 or whatever in cards, are they going to say no?
I think the first couple of times I used the Target Red Debit Card I was limited to $500. I have purchased more Disney cards since then, maybe $800 worth at several sittings. Hope this helps!

Waymer44 said:
With the debit the restrictions are set by your bank. So Target does not have that information. Your bank does.

It takes several months to be able to do a large transaction at Target. When I first got the card it would only let me do $300, and not even multiple transactions of that. A month or so later it topped out at $800. A couple months later I got $1500 (total; wasn't trying for more.) And I have used it for $2500+ without a problem. It's a pain, but you have to shop using your Red Card many times - and possibly even do a few larger transactions [not just $20 for shampoo and milk] before it will work. If you can just get the Visa, do. At least then you know your limit! It's a pain for sure.

Target Debit Card Question. So, I've been using the Target RedCard (credit card version) for some time. My question is about the debit card version of the RedCard. I searched the boards, but didn't see anything...so if I missed it I apologize. I keep getting conflicting answers about if there is a limit on the debit card. I've called and emailed Target, and this is the gist of their response (this is word from word from message I got sent back): Thanks for following up with us about your account! As we mentioned, there may be limits on the total dollar amount of purchases and the number of times the card can be used within a certain length of time. Unfortunately we don't have details about those restrictions. Umm, OK? So you can't tell me if you have limits on how much I can spend? So can anyone help me here and share their experiences? Have you ever been denied from using your debit card? Obviously there is a limit based on the amount in your checking account that the card is tied too...but if I try and buy $500 or $1000 or whatever in cards, are they going to say no?

It actually doesn't have anything to do with the amount in your checking account. Not in the sense that a normal debit card does anyway. It does NOT draw directly from the account. It actually comes out of your account as an EFT. You CAN spend more than the amount in your account using your red "debit card." Apparently the limit that they set has a lot to do with your history of using checks at Target. Even if you've been a frequent shopper at Target for years, if you've always paid with cards or cash, your initial limit can be very low until you build a history with them. I've been told by a reliable source that the people in customer service don't have access to your personal limit, so they CAN'T tell you what it is. In any case, even if that isn't true and they do actually know, they WON'T tell you. I have no idea what my limit is. The first time I ever used the card was to buy an iPad mini. The total was $430 and it went through without a problem. I've actually never used it for a larger purchase than that. I do have a long check writing history with Target too though, although I haven't written one there in several years.

I was wondering about this before I got the Target Red Card a couple of years ago and this thread did a good job explaining. Take a look at post #10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter