Taking Peanuts on the plane or in luggage

Celidh

DIS Veteran
I was told that you couldn't take peanuts on the plane. Does anyone know anything about this. I was thinking of getting trail mix for the kids for either on the plane as a snack or in our luggage for in Disney. We were also thinking of bringing a small jar of peanut butter for in our room with breakfast.

If someone is able to tell me if this is allowed when flying from Canada to the US, I would appreciate it.

I was SERVED peanuts on my last flight to Orlando with Southwest. My guess is it's an airline dependant thing so your best bet is to call the airline you're flying with and ask them.

Yes you can bring peanuts as long as they are not in their shells. Dust from peanut shells when cracked open, spreads though aircraft and someone allergic, well you what I mean :goodvibes My godson is allergic and we allerted the flight attendents and they did not serve any peanut products in our seating area. So bring your trail mix!!!

Bring your peanut butter in your checked bag - no problems:goodvibes

We *always* lug a jar of Kraft if we're checking bags.
Jiff and Skippy just don't taste the same, apparently :teeth:

We like trail mix too, but leave it at home.

Cheez'ncrackers is a packed treat we never have, and fun for the plane... and then I don't have to worry about others travelling with us, or after us, that may have health issues with nuts.

Oh, and cinnamon buns at the airport - the kids look forward to picking out the yummiest, icingest ones they can find:goodvibes I'll grab a couple of milk for them to drink on the plane, along with water.

I figure for the couple of hours we're on the aircraft, we're balancing out the extra sugar and carbs with plain old excitement:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hope this helps!! And have a wonderful trip!!

:)

There are no restrictions on flying with or importing processed nuts (from CBSA.gov):

-Nuts- All nuts are allowed if they have been boiled, cooked, ground, oven dried, pureed, roasted, or steamed. Other nuts may be allowed if they are free from their husks (the shell remains), such as almonds, betel nuts, Brazil nuts, cashews, coquilla nuts, filberts (hazelnuts), Java olives, kara nuts, gingko nuts, macadamias, pecans, pili nuts, pine nuts (pinon nuts), pistachios, and walnuts. (USDA Miscellaneous and Processed Products Manual, Table 3-105, 3-106)​

There are restrictions on bringing in unprocessed nuts as they then become agricultural products and may be restricted under APHIS (see usda.gov).

The airlines themselves do not inspect your luggage or carry ons - that is the job of the TSA looking for dangerous items and the CBS looking for contraband items.

As the PP mentions though, bringing items that can cause an allergic reaction in another passenger is impolite. And on behalf of those of us who are allergic to some scents, I would urge that people not wear perfume or cologne either. Nothing worse than being stuck in the aluminum tube of death for 3 hours unable to breathe because the lady beside you thinks she smells pretty...

Yes you can bring peanuts as long as they are not in their shells. Dust from peanut shells when cracked open, spreads though aircraft and someone allergic, well you what I mean :goodvibes My godson is allergic and we allerted the flight attendents and they did not serve any peanut products in our seating area. So bring your trail mix!!!

DESPINA: did you see my PM to you? i sent two.

The info from bankr63 is fine but in Canada it's CATSA, not TSA which is American. Peanuts are fine according to CATSA but peanut butter in a jar greater than 100ml must be in checked luggage. Check the CATSA site just before you leave (CATSA.gc.ca) just before you leave. The regs do sometimes change without much notice and Canada's can be slightly different than the US. I've seen that a few times over the year.

Another good Canada site to check is CBSA (CBSA-afca.gc.ca) which provides info about import regulations in both directions. Again these change occasionally and the two countries are slightly different.

The info from bankr63 is fine but in Canada it's CATSA, not TSA which is American.

I agree to a point. And I am a former airline worker, so know the industry fairly well. Although CATSA does the checking in Canada (it will be a contracted CATSA agent at security), they have to follow the more stringent TSA regulations for flights destined to the US. For example, that's why you always have to take off your shoes for flights to the US but not for domestic flights. So it is the TSA that is really calling the shots on US destined flights.

We have been on flights were there was a severe peanut allergy where no nuts were served and passengers were asked that no peanuts be eaten on the flight by anyone. Also, we've heard of flights were airlines have created a buffer zone around a passenger with a severe peanut allergy (usually 3 rows in front and 3 rows behind) and anyone in that zone was asked not to eat any nuts. Just something to keep in mind.

We have been on flights were there was a severe peanut allergy where no nuts were served and passengers were asked that no peanuts be eaten on the flight by anyone. Also, we've heard of flights were airlines have created a buffer zone around a passenger with a severe peanut allergy (usually 3 rows in front and 3 rows behind) and anyone in that zone was asked not to eat any nuts. Just something to keep in mind.
This is what happens when my daughter flies. She has an airborne peanut allergy so peanuts on a plane are very scary. Just two weeks ago we had a family in front of us open up peanut butter granola bars. One whiff and I was terrified. I politely explained our situation and the family put it away. No reaction thankfully.

Yep. You would never open your peanut snacks if they had made an announcement to the contrary. But that doesn't mean you can't pack them in your carryons.

Both of these happen when I fly on a Canadian airline. I am anaphylactic to tree nuts (TN) and peanuts (PN) and in the past have reacted to a large amount of peanut shell dust in the air (at a restaurant that had the shells all over the place; this was when I discovered the "hard way" that the peanut allergy included an airborne component if there was enough in the air).

As required by the (Canadian) airlines (WestJet, Air Canada, Porter), I notify the airline be phone well in advance of the flight, usually just after purchasing the ticket. Depending on the airline one deals with a normal customer service agent or is transferred to the airline's medical department.

If asked, Canadian airlines are required to create a multi-row buffer zone around the TN/PN (as appropriate) allergic passenger's seat in which the passengers in the zone are directly spoken to by the flight attendant and asked to not consume TN/PN-containing products during the flight. Also, no TN/PN products will be served either in the zone or on the plane. If another passenger in the zone insists on consuming a TN/PN product, they will be moved to a seat outside the zone.

All three airlines have also told me that they would prefer to make a plane-wide announcement asking passengers to refrain from eating TN/PN products during the flight, although they have always asked if I was ok with that; the first time it happened I said it wasn't necessary, but the airline replied that they preferred to do it in order to reduce the risk, so I agreed. Since then I agree when ask.

The Canadian airlines will also allow me to preboard the plane so I can wipe down my seat area, prepare my other precautions, and settle.

Note that many/most US airlines do not have similar processes, or have a piece-meal of processes but not all of them, or hapazardly implement them. Some airlines (like American) are now downright hostile at times towards TN/PN allergic passengers and make no accommodations, including not allowing pre-boarding. In contrast, the Canadian airlines are REQUIRED by regulation to have certain processes available/in place (including the buffer zone).

To the OP: Others have given some suggestions for trail mix alternatives, which could be a particularly good idea if flying on a Canadian airline since you may end up on a flight with someone like me where the announcements are made. One I really like is either of the two types of trail mix made by the Enjoy Life company: http://enjoylifefoods.com/our-foods/seed-fruit-mixes/ They are nut-free, gluten-free and free of the top allergens. Although I eat them because they are safe for me, I do enjoy them and highly recommend them. I have shared some of the Mountain Mambo (my favourite) one with co-workers who really really liked it and went and bought some of their own. Another snack I like when flying are granola bars (and there are many TN/PN-free options these days) and fig newtons (well, usually date newtons for me due to a dairy allergy).

Others have noted that jars of peanut butter fall under the 3-1-1 liquids rule (PB and things like jams are considered liquids/liquid-like for the purposes of the rule), so normal size jars have to go in checked baggage. Little single-use packets could go in carry-on though as long as they meet the 3-1-1 rule.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts