T-Rex vs. Rainforest Cafe

phewms

Mouseketeer
We are surprising DS (4) with his 1st trip to WDW at the end of the month. When we arrive, we will spend time at DTD and plan to eat dinner there. Initially, we planned for Rainforest Cafe since DS has been there before (in Texas) and liked it. However, as I read this board, a lot of people recommend T-Rex over Rainforest.

A little about DS: He is not a fan of loud noises. (We aren't planning to watch any of the fireworks shows because of this). He is a train fanatic. He loves Dinosaur Train (cartoon) but has never seen any model dinosaurs up close. Sometimes he scares easily. He is a picky eater (hotdogs, mac and cheese, turkey sandwiches, etc.)

I'm thinking maybe I should wait to "feel the resturants out" and let him make his selection? Also are the wait times generally long for either resturant (without a ressie) on a Saturday evening?

I just read a TR where the author had a 4-year-old who was scared of T-Rex. His son was a dino fan but the restaurant was loud and the dinosaurs were alarmingly large. However, I know the Rainforest Cafes that have the thunderstorm can be loud and dark too. I suggest looking for pictures/videos of each place to get a better feel.

My son loved it at 4 years old but all kids are different. We find the food better at T-Rex than Rainforest.

We did TRex when our DS was 3 and he didn't like the show noises too much, but they only lasted about 60 seconds and only came on every 15-20 minutes (someone correct me if I am wrong). We then did RFC when DS was 4 and he thought it was ok. We did trex a few days later and liked it better. Now when we ask if he wants to do trex or RFC he always says Trex.

Both locations are fun. We felt the food was better at Rain forest but I thought the show was better at T-rex. They have a build-a-dino there as well. My daughter got one and it joined us for dinner that night. RF is a little louder i would say.

We ate in the ice cave section of the T-Rex and to the best of my recollection there is no really scary element to it, there is a baby triceretops (I think) in a nest or something like that but it was very mild compared to the rest of the place. We personally really did not like the food at T-Rex and like the Rainforest alot. I actually think they are run by the same head office so it kinda doesnt make sense to me why they would be so different (imo) but maybe it was just the time we went. Also, I would STRONGLY suggest booking a ressie for one or the other (or both, 15 minutes apart) and then if you are letting your son decide, just go over to the other one and cancel. I know there is usually a wait of at least an hour with walk ups.

We ate in the ice cave section of the T-Rex and to the best of my recollection there is no really scary element to it, there is a baby triceretops (I think) in a nest or something like that but it was very mild compared to the rest of the place. We personally really did not like the food at T-Rex and like the Rainforest alot. I actually think they are run by the same head office so it kinda doesnt make sense to me why they would be so different (imo) but maybe it was just the time we went. Also, I would STRONGLY suggest booking a ressie for one or the other (or both, 15 minutes apart) and then if you are letting your son decide, just go over to the other one and cancel. I know there is usually a wait of at least an hour with walk ups.

Great idea!
Thank you everyone for your opinions! As this will be a surprise trip and DS won't know until the night before we leave, I will try to pull up some youtube clips and let him decide.

My daughter likes dinosaurs and Dino Train etc... we took her to T-Rex when she was a baby (18 mo's) and she was a little freaked out so we asked if we could get seated in the aquarium section. Its a little quieter and away from any scary dino's. She was fine. Then we took her again a yr later (2.5yrs) and she lost it, we had to walk by the huge dino to get to our seats, the meteor shower went off almost immediately and she just lost it. So hysterical that we had to leave almost before we even sat down. It can be scary especially for kids who scare easy and it is loud. The dino's are very large and lifelike. And we've always put our name on the list and played it by ear. Usually a 45 min wait. We waited the full 45 min last time only to have to leave when they finally called our names!! BUT I like the food much better.

You can also google "T-Rex Restaurant images" and get a view of the inside of it to see if you think your son would be scared. Maybe show them to him without him knowing you are thinking of going there. Just say "hey look at this cool restaurant" and see what he says when he looks at in on the computer.

We are looking at taking my son that just turned 5. It was booked out online, but was told they do walk in's also.

I was just thinking to walk into the restaurant and have mr 5 look around and see how he reacts.

We went to T-Rex when my little one was 4. We were there for about 15 seconds -- she is not a fan of loud noises and was beyond terrified. :( Loves Dinosaur Train, playing with dinos, books about dinos...but this place scared her to death. We have been to Rainforest Cafe and it was fine...not nearly as noisy and not scary for her.

When you said not a fan of loud noises I think that's the thing. Also, if it helps you for fireworks, google pro-ears for kids. They work for fireworks, parades, etc.

T-Rex is really loud and overwhelming - it is not for everyone. I could see kids really loving it or being scared. Rainforest is less so.

Food is about equal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter