Syd -> MCO stopover with kids?

denise_q

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

For those travelling with kids from Aus, do you guys just grit your teeth and go straight to Orlando as quick as possible, or do you stop after the first lengthy leg?

As a couple we always used to stop for a night and sleep and shower (lax or sfo for US) before our next onwards journey. But wondering about the trade offs for jet lag vs extra travel time vs actual sleep with kids :)

Generally my jet lag was always worse coming back home to Aus.

Our boys will be 4 and 7 when we do the trip to WDW.

Also DH is 6"6, so besides Virgins Economy X does anyone know of another airline that offers families the ability to buy extra leg room in economy. (Not paid exit aisle and not Premium Economy which is 12-16k and hurts my wallet)

Thanks!

You could look at Air New Zealand or Hawaiian airlines. We have flown to the states via Honolulu and paid for their extra comfort seat. It basically got you more room and an amenities pack. We stopped over in Hawaii for a few days.
I would never do a stop over at lax on the way to Orlando as I find the airport stressful and try to avoid it.
We have also flown with Qantas to Dallas changed planes then to Orlando. I like to not schedule mu next flight too close so that I can get through customs, walk around and sit down for some food. The only problem is that my 6’5 son finds the seats uncomfortable. There are better seats with more room that you don’t have to pay extra for . We did some research on seat guru. I

Thanks! Will check out Hawaiian, what airline did you do from HNL as Hawaiian didn't seem to do a non stop flight to MCO.

Seat guru is a gem and I definitely have the A380 down as a possible route depending on seat availability :)

Hi Denise_q

We have flown via LAX and then spent a few days at Disneyland before continuing our travel. Another trip we spent a few days in San Fransisco and another trip we flew into LAX and then got on another plane for a few days in Las Vegas. We like to spend a few days in one location to adjust to the new timezone before hiting Disneyworld. I think that has worked well for our two DD, who on the first trip were 7 and 3.

Sorry no advice on buying extra leg room. DH prefers to fly via the A380s, he said there appears to be more 'space' for him to walk around the cabin during the flight.

We have flown straight through and would not do it again. Now we stay overnight at an airport hotel and head off the next day.

Have always had a stopover and always will. If we flew all the way to Orlando, I worry that the first few days would be wasted in a blur of exhaustion, or even worse, illness (which is what I sometimes get when I’m exhausted). In saying that, we don’t sleep well on planes and might think differently if we were good economy sleepers.

I do think it’s good though if the stopover is as close to the final destination as possible. We flew direct from AKL to Houston on our last trip. We refreshed ourselves with a sleep in an airport hotel and then caught the earliest morning flight to Orlando the next day. By lunchtime that day, we were enjoying Universal Orlando, energetic and excited to have arrived.

On the way home, an Island stopover of at least a few days is my favourite as the last leg is short and we arrive home refreshed and with less jet lag.
However, due to price on our last trip, we had an LA stopover instead. While we only had 2 nights there, I booked a really cheap Anaheim hotel for 3 nights since our flight wasn’t until late that evening. It was nice not having to leave our hotel until mid avo and use it for an early afternoon nap and shower before heading to the airport.

Not sure if any of that helps, but happy planning regardless.

We flew Perth-Auckld-Houston-MCO this trip, less than 2hrs stopover anywhere, was great. Arrived feeling not too bad, BUT we flew premium economy air NZ as I have a medical condition that makes it painful to sit. We were really impressed with it, and for us it was $1,000 extra PP.

Thanks All! The tips are really helpful. I'll definitely put in that stop.

I think I'll explore the new routes to IAH and DFW. I like the 2 hr flight to MCO.

Last edited:
I've always flown straight threw. Have travelled with my 7yr old many times since she was 8months. I figure we are in a travel momentum, just keep going lol

How are you guys adding stopovers in? Do you book 2 separate flights, or is there an option to add a stopover on some airlines? Would definitely be interested in spending a night in LA before flying on to Orlando!

Hi Katy06
When we book, we always purchase international flights that allow at least one stopover. When you see an airfare your interested in, just check out the terms and conditions and that will tell you how many stopovers are allowed.

How are you guys adding stopovers in? Do you book 2 separate flights, or is there an option to add a stopover on some airlines? Would definitely be interested in spending a night in LA before flying on to Orlando!

Have a play around with the multi-stop option on different flight-booking websites. You’d be surprised at what combinations you can find once you start looking.

I don’t recommend booking 2 one-way journeys instead of a return ticket though, as the one way journey back from the USA is often really expensive (especially when charged in US dollars).

We're flying straight through both ways. We're flying premium economy with Virgin then Comfort Plus LAX MCO with Delta (which is basically like Virgin X). When searching I found that United had a "Premium Economy" option which was basically another 4" of leg room.

Thanks! I'll look at United too. Air NZ have a great PE deal atm, but we aren't traveling till Sept 2020 so I can't actually book anything yet .... just planning and budgeting and rearranging plans

We used to stop in LA for a night in an airport area hotel. We found it to be a bit of a waste of a day. Now we fly straight through to MCO and with connection time from Sydney flights we usually get to MCO in the evening on the same day we left. We have time for a quick dinner, early to bed and a sleep in the next day then we're rearing to go.

Thanks! I'll look at United too. Air NZ have a great PE deal atm, but we aren't traveling till Sept 2020 so I can't actually book anything yet .... just planning and budgeting and rearranging plans

denise_q SNAP! lol This is me at the moment too. We are going Dec 2020 so I am doing "pretend bookings" (not actually completing the booking) to work out my budget and work out when it is best to book. Flights for us will open for booking from mid-Feb 2020. We are going to Japan in May 2019 mostly to visit Disney of course :-D so we don't have to wait forever for our Disney Fix lol

I haven’t booked yet! Our son needed surgery so we delayed while we wait for heath care rebates. I will probably book later this week.

I’ve narrowed it down to/lost lots of good options:
- virgin short change in LaX $1787
- Hawaiian rerun via overnight in Honolulu then brief JFK stop $1858
- qantas return via LAX with short stop overs $2004
- qantas return via Honolulu on the way over and just a short LAX stop on the return is $2171

I’m leaning towards the most expensive to go to aulani and fly home with my husband who will be on QF direct(ish) flights.

But I also like the virgin and qf via Honolulu

Hi Jocelynaus,

Sorry to hear your son has not been well.

We went to Hawaii in 2017 (but didn't go to Aulani), we all really enjoyed the 'layback' culture.

I'm sure whatever you pick will be great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts