Swiss chalet skyway station

Some great points have been covered here, except for the big one. Disneyland closed the Skyway attraction in 1994 not as a reaction to "accidents" or because of potential liability. It was closed becuase it was a low capacity ride that required more staffing than other attractions. Up to eight CM's had to operate this attraction during peak periods. Closing the ride allowed them to save on labor.

The ride appeared to be popular because it always had long lines. But they had a maximum of 42 cabins in operation. More often than not, they operated 32 cabins to avoid adding additional staff. So the long lines were because of the low capacity.

Of course there was also the guy who "fell" from his cabin and survived the "accident" only to sue the park later. Witnesses saw the guy playing with the door lock and staging the fall.

At DL, the official replacement for the Skyway (out with the old and in with the new) was the Indiana Jones Adventure. I'd assume that WDW's replacement was probably the Winnie the Pooh ride. In any case, I miss the Skyway, especially the one at the MK. It was one of the very best ways to take pictures at the park.

I'd assume that WDW's replacement was probably the Winnie the Pooh ride.

Winnie the Pooh replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Alladin did not directly replace a previous attraction, but if anyone wants to argue this was (unofficially) a Skyway replacement, it wasn't a fair trade!

Point is, any way you look at it we've lost attractions with no replacement. Remember 20,000 Leagues, Walt Disney Story, or the Mike Fink Keel Boats? The attractions roster is simply shorter than it used to be.

There is no doubt this is all due to $$.

Doesn't Blizzard Beach still have this kind of ride to get up to some of it's water slides???

Ya, and last trip I was scared to death on it. It just didn't seem very safe, especially with my 2 1/2 year old. At leats with the buckets you had soem kind of feeling of enclosure. Thsi your feet are just dangling. When I got off my Mom who was in front of me in another seat and had my 5 year old with her just said we woudln't be doing that again!

Don't forget the Canoes and the Swan Boats. I have great memories of both... Can anyone remember the canoes? You got on them near the Keel Boats and paddled your way around the river. It was fun! The Swan Boats were also a nice "low key" atraction -- why get rid of them?

swan boats? I don't remember them. Ya know, I've only gone over to sawyer's Island liek once or twice ever! And we went to MK a lot as a kid always staying at good ole' Holiday Inn. A matter of fact, my Mom went with me and my girls thsi past July and on the drive back home she lit up and asked out of the blue why do we never go over to the island?!? And I was liek I don't know!!!

Funny how far from my original post this thread has gone. :eek: :confused: :teeth:

The Swan Boats were in the water near the castle,toward the front and toward Tommorrowland, if I recall correctly. Can someone help here? I don't know if you paddled them or what. I am not sure we ever really went ON them, but they were very pretty. They were not there that long, but I swear I am not dreaming them -- they really did exist! (Isn't it scary when we approch 40 and everything gets fuzzy?)

I do not remember sawn baots at all, especially near the castle. Coudl they have been at DL instead? Anyoen know about this? I'm now interested!

The Swan boats operated from 1973-1983 (only in the summer, for the most part if I remember correctly.) They loaded at the docks that still exist in the area in front of the Plaza restaurant's outdoor seating area. They followed a path that the hub waterway makes, over into adventureland, around by the Treehouse, and back to the dock. It was a nice slow ride that took about 20 minutes.

Thank goodness I wan't hallucinating! I have never been to Disneyland so if no one else recalled the Swan Boats I was going to have to see my doctor...

I actually have a cool old souvenir map of WDW and they are shown on it. Mom found it last year and I had it framed. It must be from one of our very first family trips to WDW as there is no Space Mountain! Also no Carousel of Progress...

Wow, I totally don't remember this. I'll have to see if my paresnt do. Thansk for giving us the scoop!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter