swimming in December

azuwish

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We are planning a trip for this December and our kids (3 & 6) love to swim. Does anyone use the pools durring December? Is it too cold to even think about it?

Just need to know if we need to prepare our kids for no swimming

Thanks ----

In 2006, we spent a week in WDW during the last week in January.

It was not too cold for swimming (most days) & we even went to BB few times. (But be warned, the water in the pool was quite cold!)

We have been at Pop Century in December and found the pools great for swimming water temperature was very warm, it was coming out that was a bit cool.

We have swam in DEcember and January. The water in the pools was warm but getting out was really cold most days. When we were at the WL we took warm up suits to the pool area and pulled them on as soon as we dried off and wore them back to the room. One year at All stars we had a room right at the pool and it was nice to just run to the room and get right in the shower. This year we were at POP and it was pretty cool and we were not too close to the pool and did not swim. i should say DS because I rarely get in the pool at WDW. WE however have a pool at home and swim all summer so it is not the treat it is for some families. SO?....
yes you can swim but it will be cold getting out.

I really think this quesiton depends on where you are coming from and what you are used to. We are from Texas and we like our water warm. The pools are heated but not nearly warm enough for our blood! We went last Nov/Dec and tried to swim. It was pretty warm out but a bit later in the day and we found it far too cold for us. But, there were tons of people swimming! If your kids are die hard swimming fans and the weather holds out, they could swim for sure. If they don't want to be too cold, might want to stick to the hot tub.

Yes I agree with the ap. I am from Texas also and have a pool at home. I stop swimming sometime in October after the first real long cold rain ( our rain is usually warm in summer). The cold water cools off the water in the pool and it just feels too cold for me after that. I like it to be about 95 degrees outside and the water real warm!

Another Texas here! And it would be far too cold for us to swim in December. We may go down and get in the hot tub though!

We swam the week after Thanksgiving in 2005 and the week of Dec. 16-23 in 2006. The weather was actually much warmer in Dec. of 2006, but we swam and got in the hot tub both times. It is a little cold getting out- especially at night- but worth it.

We've been in December three different times now. The first time was Christmas week and we were in shorts and tee shirts and sweating all day. Kids were at the pool most nights. The next year Christmas week we were buying extra sweatshirts, hats and mittens for everyone and never even considered the pool! The year after that it was the first week in December and we had some warm days and some cool days. The kids swam a couple of times but not every day.

It's not a clear yes/no answer...you just have to check the weather right before you go. The best answer is that there will probably be at least a couple of days where you would be OK at the pool even if you maybe shivering when you get out, the water is heated so you'd be OK in the pool!

We're from Chicago. In 2005 we were there in the beginning of December. We swam every day.

It was perfect for us - we actually thought it was pretty warm, but other people were getting goose bumps and leaving the pool long before we did! :)

We went the past 2 Decembers and both times was warm enough to swim - tempsin the 70s. But even when it got down to 50 at night, the kids still wanted to go swimming. The pools are heated, so they had a ball (they were the only ones in the pool. The hot tub felt mighty nice as well!

I would suggest you prepare them for not being able to swim, so that if you can, it's a happy surprise. ;)

We went December 4th through 10th in 2005. The first two days, it was summery and we swam. The rest of the trip was cool and rainy. We wore long sleeves every day and jackets a lot of the time. It was definitely too cool to swim with a small child.

We're going back this December and I've already told DS that we'll just have to wait and see if we'll be able to swim.

We went 2nd week Dec last year and you brought back a funny memory.
It was chilly, like sweatshirt weather and we were at AKL. My ds and dh wanted to go swimming, went out to the pool and the lifegueards were in RED SNOWSUIT TYPE OUTFITS. It was SO FUNNY!!! :rotfl2:
Maybe being from NY we did not think it was THAT cold, but I am on the Island, not upstate where the REAL cold weather is....We had such fun with that.... I think I might have snapped a photo...need to look
There were people swimmimng as the water was warmer than the air but they also REALLY bundled up after the swm.
I'd bring suits and then play it by ear!
Either way have a wonderful trip! :wizard:

I think it depends on your kids. My DDs are swimmers and when they were 5 & 8 we were in Disney in December. Temps dipped below 40 in the evening and were in the mid 60's during the day. Didn't stop my girls from swimming. There was steam coming off the pool at ASM and they had a blast. I was glad they were good swimmers and I could just enjoy watching them from a lounge chair (wrapped up in a towel!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter