Swan & Dolphin Pros & Cons?

happy2012

DIS Veteran
What are the pros & cons to staying @ the S&D. I am looking @ the Dolphin. What is a good rate & how much is parking? do you love it & is it worth it??

Pros-
great discounts for teachers, nurses, fireman, government workers, AP holders, AAA, etc.
Wonderful restaurants
away from 24/7 Disney

Cons
Can't think of any.

Agood rate is anything under 200.00 a night, imo. We booked on time at 179.00 and were thrilled.

Pros...very pretty and nice resorts, great staff, good food options, location, and coffee.

Cons...no disney charm, no magical express, no dining plan.

Having stayed at the Hilton at dtd and moving to the poly, we decided the only non disney resort we would ever do would be the swan and dolphin.

You can't charge things back to your room within the parks (you can just within your hotel) I think I read also that the S/D won't allow grocery deliveries.

Pro:
  • Convenient access to Epcot & DHS
  • Substantially cheaper than BW/BC/YC neighbors
  • Room availability is usually good

Con:
  • Charges for parking ($15 self park, $20 valet)
  • Resort fee added $15 I think) rather than just increasing the advertised rates
  • Can't room charge in the parks or Disney resorts (but you can room charge at the Swolphin itself)
  • No DME
  • Not much Disney "magic"

The rooms are a nice size. The decor kind of reminds me of retro modern Florida- not quite Art Deco- with corals and turquoise.

I really like the Dolphin, less so the Swan. No real reason, just preference and a couple of not so wonderful issues at the Swan.
But...for me the basic 'cons' would be having to pay $15 to park your car each day and having to pay for transportation to the resort from MCO if not renting a car.
I have no issue with the lack of 24/7 Disney 'magic'. I get enough of that in the parks, don't have to have it in my resort. I have no issue with not being able to charge back to my room outside the resort. I do love the food options...Picabu is a favorite!!! I like the toiletries at the Dolphin much more than WDW's!
Since I seldom have a car with me, parking isn't a big issue. And if I get a good enough rate at the Dolphin, I don't mind paying for transportation from MCO.

I think the Swan is pretty magical. Maybe I can't find hidden Mickeys in my bedspread, but those rooms are pretty luxurious and the beds are truly wonderful.

You can also book rooms on points. I love a free room at Disney.

we are staying at the swan for 169 a night with a AP discount, which comes to around 190 a night with tax i think. figuring in the cost of airport transportation, it works out to be comparable to AKL/SS/OKW pricewise, but i think the swan's location is so much better (i happen to love epcot but to each their own, i suppose).

Pros-
great discounts for teachers, nurses, fireman, government workers, AP holders, AAA, etc.
Wonderful restaurants
away from 24/7 Disney

Cons
Can't think of any.

I'm a teacher. How do I get a teacher discount?

I also think you experience will very greatly depending on your past (if you have any) visits.

If you have stayed at a Disney resort in the past than things like the lack of DME or lack of Disney "magic" is likely going to be a bigger negative to you than someone who has never stayed at a Disney Resort or only stays offsite.

For our trip on 2011, my first trip in over 20 years, my 2 nieces first visit and my brother and SIL 3 trip trip this decade (at Disney resorts). So the lack of "Disney magic" and DME didn't bother us much. I think we felt the town car with grocery stop was more valuable than DME. I do think my brother and SIL did miss some of the "magic", but the location more than made up for it.

Also as far as cost and location the SD is very hard to beat! The suite we stayed in (photos in above post) were so much better and cheaper than 2 rooms at a moderate. Especially with the teachers, nurses, military or AAA discounts. For us it would be difficult for us to stay anyplace else. Thats why we are booked again in June :cool1: Also, if you do book, periodically check prices, so far we were able to save $30 a night doing so.

I'm a teacher. How do I get a teacher discount?

Just tell them that you are and they will give you the discount. When you show up for your vacation you need to show some type of verification (ID, pay stub). If you have multiple discount options check them all, sometimes the discount percentages can vary.

We always stay at BC or BW (with a rare BLT, WL, and Poly thrown in.) Always hesitated to stay at the Swan/Dolphin, but was forced to last June because we couldn't commit to renting points for DVC and needed two rooms. We loved it. I thought I would miss the Disney magic, but guess what? Didn't miss it at all. The pool is great, bars and restaurants are also. For me it's all about the Epcot location. I got a great AAA rate for my upcoming May trip at the Dolphin and didn't hesitate for a second. I'm saving well over $600 from the BC with their 30% off discount, even after paying for all fees and a town car to/from the airport. I'll have a great time with that $600.

IMO, the "Heavenly" beds are more comfortable than WDW beds. And if you need a cot, they are wider and more comfortable than WDW cots...IMO...

We loved the Dolphin and the only reason why we don't stay there anymore is we are DVC owners at BCV and BWV - our family fits in a one bedroom better so the villa works better now. Nothing beats the hotels in the EPCOT area. And the D/S are right there with incredibly reasonable prices. I think it's the best kept secret!

We always stay at BC or BW (with a rare BLT, WL, and Poly thrown in.) Always hesitated to stay at the Swan/Dolphin, but was forced to last June because we couldn't commit to renting points for DVC and needed to rooms. We loved it. I thought I would miss the Disney magic, but guess what? Didn't miss it at all. The pool is great, bars and restaurants are also. For me it's all about the Epcot location. I got a great AAA rate for my upcoming May trip at the Dolphin and didn't hesitate for a second. I'm saving well over $600 from the BC with their 30% off discount, even after paying for all fees and a town car to/from the airport. I'll have a great time with that $600.

well said! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter