• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suzy and Perla's guide to skipping lines and pursuing magic:

I am trying my own hand at a trip report because I have enjoyed yours so much! (I also changed my profile name from mshadel so it won't be so obvious to anyone who I am, in case anyone I know stumbles upon it). I can't post a link to it since it won't let me post links or images yet until I've got 10 posts under my new user name, but if you find it you will see that I have copied some of you naming conventions...

I'm in! So sorry that your May has been so difficult. Can I just say how impressed I am that you all work together AND vacation together! Family is so important and it's great that you all love each other so much! :)

Thanks. It took awhile for us to all merge and bond fully but Donald and I have been married 16 years and Suzy and Milo for 19. Somewhere in the course of all that we all became best friends.

I am trying my own hand at a trip report because I have enjoyed yours so much! (I also changed my profile name from mshadel so it won't be so obvious to anyone who I am, in case anyone I know stumbles upon it). I can't post a link to it since it won't let me post links or images yet until I've got 10 posts under my new user name, but if you find it you will see that I have copied some of you naming conventions...

Congrats! I'm off to check it out...

One week. That's right, folks. We are well into single digits and I haven't slowed down to breathe yet!

As I already mentioned, our business is tied to the weather. So last week and this week, the first steady, 90 degree weeks, our entire team of technicians and their support and our sales staff (including Donald & Milo) will all pull in 60-80 hours worth of on job time. That's right, 80. During the main 5 days many work 13 hour days. And our emergency service technicians will work through the weekends as well.

We wait and we wait for these two weeks. We love them. But NORMALLY they come in May. And by mid-June it is the perfect time for us to take a vacation as the work is steady but not crazy. So the timing of this now makes everything off.

Not that we're changing anything, mind you. I just am pointing out that chaos is ruling Suzy & my lives currently.

Also, my two adult nieces (who I love), had a bit of trouble with the house they rented and moved in with us last night. Along with their 2 dogs and 2 bunnies.

And Suzy has an open house this weekend which means not only does her house have to be immaculate, her closets, pantry, office, and garage do too. :scared1::scared1:

Can you imagine?

In spite of all that, she and I took some time to go shopping yesterday and had a grand time buying bathing suits & accessories. We had so much fun, we went back and picked up Mulan & Ariel and made them go back out with us and shopped until 10!

I also bought a super great canopy for the beach portion of our trip. I'm using it tomorrow at a fishing derby (yeah, we live in the sticks. I know.) So I'll post pictures of us under it on Sunday.

We booked our hotel for the way down and for our first night in Orlando as well. And we wrote our itinerary and bought our white t-shirts for our American Idol shirts.

So we accomplished a TON! Now I just have to do the work and figure out food. And then make my itinerary books.

Also, my check on the final payment for the house hasn't cleared yet so that is stressing me a little. I sent it on May 17th to Canada. Here's hoping it'll clear before we leave!

OK, gotta go. I typed as fast as I could but still barely scratched the surface of what I'd like to convey.

I'll post more when I do more!

Thursday
10:00 p.m. All luggage for car top carrier need to be at Perla's

Friday
11:30 a.m. Gas tanks filled, Leave.
12:00 noon Eat our packed lunch
5:00 p.m. Fast Food dinner
10:00 p.m. Arrive at Hotel, Savannah, Ga
610.98 miles driven

Saturday
8:30 a.m. Hotel breakfast
9:00 a.m. On the road
Noon Fast Food lunch
3:00 p.m. Arrive at Homewood Suites at Crossroads
281.63 miles travelled
5:30 p.m. Kona Café, Polynesian Hotel
Take beach toys, bug spray, & an extra change of clothes for Boo & Jack-Jack (don't worry, we don't use the pools)
Enjoy drinks and hammocks on Poly beach.
10:00 p.m. Wishes from Poly beach.

Sunday
7:00 a.m. Hotel breakfast
8:00 a.m. In vehicles
9:00 a.m. MK Rope drop (get Splash FP)
Fantasyland (not Philharmagic nor Peter Pan) (Get BTMMR FP), Dumbo, Pooh, Snow White, Tea Cups, Carrousel, Small World
Haunted Mansion (Get Peter Pan FP)
Adventureland (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Aladdin) (Get Space Mt. FP)
Eat lunch at Pecos Bill’s or Tortuga Tavern (at 11:30, where ever this falls in our doing rides)
Then do Splash Mt & Big Thunder
Do Peter Pan, Philharmagic, Space Mt., Buzz, Laugh Floor (If possible, get Buzz FP as soon as Space is up)
4:00 p.m. Check in to house.
Quickly empty the vehicles and Suzy, Mulan, Charming, Emmy grocery shop while everyone else unpacks
6:00 p.m. Grocery shopping people bring dinner home with them
Those who wish to go to DHS Star Wars weekend may. DHS is open until midnight. MK is open till 11:00
All else can stay in our new home and swim/relax

Monday
8:00 a.m. Leave house
9:00 a.m. Epcot Rope Drop
Test Track (Get Soarin’ FP), Mission:Space, Universe of Energy, Spaceship Earth
Nemo & Crush, Captain E.O., Imagination
The Land Pavilion
Eat lunch at Sunshine Seasons (eat at 11:30 when ever that falls in our doing rides.)
Coke spot so Emmy can try them all (and I can get a great pic of her trying Beverly ;))
World Showcase (Big kids can choose Innovations or Kim Possible)
4:00 p.m. Eat dinner at CS in Mexico
5:00 p.m. Get in line for Hotel California (5:45 p.m. show)

Tuesday
7:45 a.m. Leave for DHS
9:00 a.m. DHS for Toy Story Mania March
Star Tours. FP & ride
10:00-10:30 a.m. Charming & Esmerelda audition for American Idol
Great Movie Ride (FP RnR)
11:30 a.m. Indiana Jones (FP ToT)
Noon Lunch at Backlot Express
Through afternoon: Watch Emmy & Charming in AI, Animation Studios, Beauty & Beast, use our FP’s
7:30 p.m. No matter what happens with AI, we should be able to leave park by 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday
11:30 a.m. Ready to go to DHS
12:40 p.m. Sci-Fi Dine In (Star Tours FP)
Mermaid, RnR, ToT, Animation Studios, anything else we want or missed
3:00 p.m. Pixar Parade
8:00 p.m. Get Fantasmic seats
9:00 p.m. Fantasmic

Thursday
1:00 p.m. Leave for Epcot
2:00 p.m. Whatever we want
5:30 p.m. San Angel
9:00 p.m. Illuminations

Friday
8:30 am Ready to go
9:00 am Animal Kingdom Rope Drop
Dinosaur (EE FP), Triceratop Spin, Expedition Everest
9:55 a.m. Meet Characters (Emmy is TERRIFIED of characters so I'm not sure what she'll do) (KS FP)
It’s Tough to Be a Bug
11:00 a.m. Festival of the Lion King
Lunch (maybe packed?)
1:00 p.m. Finding Nemo
Safari and any other animal viewing desired
3:00 p.m. Home
7:00 p.m. Adults to Raglan Road

Saturday
7:00 a.m. Pack up the house
10:00 a.m. Magic Kingdom (or as soon as we can get there)
Do whatever we wish
When done: BEACH!

We'll be meeting my parents here who will get in on Friday and be anxious for us to arrive. So the question is, at the end of this trip it is the end of our year of Disney. Will the lure of a week on the beach doing nothing make it so I am anxious to leave MK? Or will I want to linger and cry that I won't be back for a long while?

I just don't know. Guess that's my biggest cliffhanger. Will I be happy and content with our amazing year or will I be sad?

I know for some the above itinerary looks exhausting and impractically full. But the reality is, if you follow all our tips you actually can do what we do and still have plenty of relaxing times.

We are not taking middle-day breaks. I realize this seems a mistake but we prefer to push hard from rope drop to dinner and then leave for the night. And then do our night time shows on nights where we don't do rope drop. For us, this strategy generally works.

If you do your big rides during the early morning hours, you can spend the hottest part of the day in air conditioning. There are exceptions and I'm dreading them. Kiliminjaro safari will be done when it is hot. And there is no way in summer to avoid Indiana Jones and Beauty and the Beast in the heat. Indiana is BRUTAL and if I can avoid having to go, I will. I'm imagining myself taking a little a/c break then. ;)

I'm also anticipating Jungle Cruise will be a bit warm. And, of course, the Pixar Parade. But, ya know, June at Disney is what it is: hot. Maybe people will agree to let me shop a tiny bit more than normal.

Tip TIME! As you walk down Main Street, walk on the sidewalks, not the street. The air conditioning from the stores pours out onto the sidewalks and it is MUCH cooler than the center of the street.

Also, never do the weird walkway from Test Track to Mexico in summer unless you MUST. It is at least 20 degrees warmer than other place on earth. I swear. :rotfl: Ok, at least it FEELS that way.

If you get overheated at DHS, duck into Animation Studios. There are lots of things to do in here and you can get all the way cooled down before you are done.

And at AK my tip is: don't go in June! :lmao:

Ugh, I have no tips for staying cool at AK. It's completely brutal and horrific. You will sweat at 7:30 a.m. and you will get heat stroke by noon. Drink water, drink water, drink water. But seriously, my stay cool strategy is: I have us doing Lion King, lunch, and Nemo from 11:00 to 2:00. Air conditioning! Then we'll do the safari and get OUT OF THERE! Back to the house to swim. Cause people, it's gonna be hot.

That's it for now. More soon!

Whoops, decided I had one more thing to say: there are often pop up showers in the heat of the day in Florida. We never let these stop us. We put our ponchos on and slosh through it. It would stop us from riding such things as Dumbo but since we do those rides first thing anyway it has never been any issue.

Only if the rain is continuing on for some time and we are all getting very cranky about it, or if it is lightening in a dangerous way (or the tornado warning issued once), will rain chase us away. If it starts raining, by the time we walk to the front, get on a tram or bus, and walk to our room or cars, it has already stopped raining.

Don't bother. Just stay and enjoy an cooled off, empty park!

Your itinerary looks great! Lots of fun things to do :thumbsup2

Interestingly, our trips overlap (we leave Tuesday 6/7 :banana: and get back Friday 6/17) and the only day we'll be at the same park is possibly Thursday, June 16 when we're scheduled for Epcot. However, this may change since on our last visit we did a "Best of..." and park hopped from park to park going on our favorite rides. The kids loved it.

Your itinerary looks great! Lots of fun things to do :thumbsup2

Interestingly, our trips overlap (we leave Tuesday 6/7 :banana: and get back Friday 6/17) and the only day we'll be at the same park is possibly Thursday, June 16 when we're scheduled for Epcot. However, this may change since on our last visit we did a "Best of..." and park hopped from park to park going on our favorite rides. The kids loved it.

We don't overlap because there is so much to do! :love: Disney.

We've discussed doing a best of or a game that takes you to all the parks. But ultimately, I think, that is best left until there are no strollers. For me currently it sounds exhausting but I know if all the kids could walk in their own shoes (which they put on completely by themselves) it would be fun. For a future trip!

That itinerary is very helpful. Thanks for posting it! We're skipping AK altogether this time--it was too hot for us last June.

Very sorry to hear about your recent stresses, continue to hang in there and keep the glass half full :)

Okay Perla just curious how you picked which days to visit which parks? We are there the exact same days and i chose differently. Wednesday we may be going to IOA HP World. We were avoiding parks with Early EMH since we are off property. AP's don't get you in early do they? We are starting our trip by taking our youngest, Simba, to DHS for the last Day of Star Wars.

I posted a message for you and Suzy on your previous TR. Hope to see the Famous clan from OH. Enjoy your trip and a drink, you've earned it.

That itinerary is very helpful. Thanks for posting it! We're skipping AK altogether this time--it was too hot for us last June.

:headache: This is me in the heat. Or maybe I need a melted puddle smilie. But tigers and Expedition Everest are a huge part of our WDW experience, so we have to go. I really do love AK. I just love it better in November.

Very sorry to hear about your recent stresses, continue to hang in there and keep the glass half full :)

Okay Perla just curious how you picked which days to visit which parks? We are there the exact same days and i chose differently. Wednesday we may be going to IOA HP World. We were avoiding parks with Early EMH since we are off property. AP's don't get you in early do they? We are starting our trip by taking our youngest, Simba, to DHS for the last Day of Star Wars.

I posted a message for you and Suzy on your previous TR. Hope to see the Famous clan from OH. Enjoy your trip and a drink, you've earned it.

Half full for sure! We are busy, busy, but I feel very hopeful for the future. I think our hard, hard work in May will pay off.

We pick based on Touring Plans. We choose green or neutral days. We do avoid EMH as AP's don't get you in early. We also almost always start touring on Sunday and do MK first. We also like to end with MK. It's not an absolute, but it has become a tradition. This week is a bit backwards from our normal route as DHS has an extra Fantasmic. Plus, we wanted Emmy and Charming to try out for Americal Idol early in the week in case they don't get in they can have a second try later. Though I struggle to believe they won't get in. Emmy was practicing at our house Sunday and just her first go round at the song (she was reading the words off youtube while the video played) she did better than I've ever heard anyone at DHS.

Our family is interested in Star Wars Weekends but Suzy & I are avoiding at all costs. They can go if they choose. That's why you can see we have DHS solidly in the middle.

Also, we make ADRs at 180 days. But we only plan our itinerary about 6 weeks out. So when making our plan we take into account where we made ADRs. Some ADR's we cancel, but the ones we'd like to keep that we can work around, we work around.

My next chapter will be about food. But I probably won't get to it today.

Suzy we made it to Epcot this evening for couple of rides on Test Track, one on Soarin, and one on Mission Space. We ate at the food court in the land. The chinese was very good. I hope your trip down was a good one, ours was as easy as its ever been. We are off to DHS tomorrow to see what the crazies are like on the last day Star Wars weekends. Hope you and the gang are having fun and had a safe trip.

Just popping in to show my new signature! Lol! It always makes me smile!

Great signature! I bet those three months fly by! When they aren't going painfully slowly. :rotfl:

Suzy we made it to Epcot this evening for couple of rides on Test Track, one on Soarin, and one on Mission Space. We ate at the food court in the land. The chinese was very good. I hope your trip down was a good one, ours was as easy as its ever been. We are off to DHS tomorrow to see what the crazies are like on the last day Star Wars weekends. Hope you and the gang are having fun and had a safe trip.

We are having a great and safe trip! Glad to hear you guys are as well. Today is a morning off so taking the opportunity to check in to Disboards.

Ok, ok. So it is a full 6 months since we got back and I'm just now starting on this. But, don't forget, I did write the end of my March one. You can't expect a girl finishing up her year of Disney to have time to write 3 whole TR's and BONUS TR's in that amount of time, can you? Hmmmm????

But it's winter and things have settled a bit. And by settled down, I mean yes, I'm still working full time, still managing my dad's company. And yes, we're still having financial problems which Suzy and Mom are trying to dig us out of. And my dad is still struggling with his physical health and mental sharpness, though we did have good news that he is cancer free. But it's weird how when problems are new they are extremely stressful and when they are the problems you've lived with for awhile they are less stressful. Something about having a plan of action to deal with the problems makes it ok, even when nothing has changed at all.

And now it is time. It's time!!! I'm so excited. We had such a fabulous time and I can't wait to tell you all about it.

In addition to that, I'll also be telling you about Suzy & Milos' 20th anniversary cruise and one day at WDW!! coming up in the next week. I'm doing a little 4 hour treasure hunt for them from back here and if it goes well (fingers crossed!) I'll tell you all about it. I'm pretty excited to be a tiny part of their awesome, 20 years in the making, no kids along trip!!!

AND the Perla clan is planning a trip to DisneyLAND in early June. So we'll have some planning details on that. And it also, of course, gives me the deadline for finishing this. So stay tuned... as this will have to be done by late April so I can get going on our next trip.

Are you going to stick around? Well, are you? Are you a man or a muppet? That's the question of the week.

So, from our March trip to our June trip many, many things had changed.

And I went from having a relatively simple job at my dad's company working about 16 hours a week to having multiple jobs at my dad's company working 60 hours a week.

So my normal uber-planned Disney trip had gotten shoved into such a dark and tiny corner it was hard to get excited about it. Emmy knew about our previous trips and had ordered herself tshirts and was expecting her 32 page color itinerary.

But guess what? I didn't really have much time to do such (this next part will be shocking!) unnecessary things. I know, I know. They seem so important. But the truth is, it is possible to go to WDW withOUT an itinerary and withOUT matching tshirts. And so, because there were other pressing things, I shoved them to the side.

But we all know, that I am me. Some days I wish I were some one else. But not all wishes come true and I'm always me. And being me, I discovered that you may shove unimportant things aside temporarily, but in the long run I must accomplish everything on my to do list, even the things that with a simple explanation could be left undone.

And so the days leading up to our trip found Suzy and I making tshirts and me staying up late making a 32 page color itinerary. And gathering all of our stuff and, and, and. That's right, there is almost nothing that I normally do for WDW trips that I gave up. I simply couldn't.

Which is why at 6:30 a.m. on Friday, the day we were to leave, I woke up not panicked at all. Because I knew I was done.

We were packed. Tshirts were made and organized into days. Itineraries were printed and made into books.

I got up, got dressed, and went to work. Just like that. No big whoop.

But that is where things went slightly awry. The guy I wanted to hand the management off to was going on vacation the second week of our vacation. Which meant I had to hand off and plan for two weeks to two different guys. Despite being uber-prepared and, yes, micromanaging, it was actually fairly difficult to teach two guys with different thought processes how to run a multi-million dollar company. Shocking, I know.

I knew we were perhaps in a bit of trouble when they couldn't figure out how to get onto the main computer program we use. :scared1:

We had told Emmy, who knows us VERY well, to be at our house at 11:00 a.m. so we could get her stuff in our van for an 11:30 am departure. At 11:25 she texted me: "Am I at the right house? Did I get the very first directive wrong?"

Imagine her surprise when I called her and said, "Nope, you are right. But none of us can make it there on time." :confused3 She was so confused.

So I sent her to the store and bank and asked Suzy and Milo to pick us up lunch. Sigh. I'm NEVER the one who makes us late. I'm like the opposite of late. But seriously. Passing off the company did not go smoothly.

I left work at 11:35, 5 minutes AFTER we should have been pulling out. I literally came home and RAN. RAN. This was the scene as I pulled in:

DSCN0413.jpg

That's Suzy dividing up our lunch (no fancy Mickey empanadas this time.) I had a taco which I scarfed down.

And Donald making sure we got it together:
DSCN0414.jpg

We started to pull out of our driveway a total of THREE times. That just shows you how frazzled I was. The third time we pulled back in I insisted that my entire car group get out and use the potty. Out we piled, back we piled.

At noon, we pulled out for the final time. Whew.

To say that we left our house trashed is an understatement.

Ok, by a show of thumbs, who cannot go on vacation with a messy house?:thumbsup2 Me! I cannot. However, in addition to the other insanities in my life at this time, my 22 year old neice had asked if she could move in with us. I told her she could move in while we were at WDW. And so. She did.

So as we pulled out I called her. And I said, "Hey, K. We left the house trashed. Absolutely trashed. Could you clean it for us?"

Well, she is a terrible cleaner. Just awful. But her sister also ended up living with us for 3 months. And she is an amazing cleaner! So we came home to a clean house despite us leaving it in shambles.

It took me a good hour of driving to get my heart back to a normal speed. And traffic was heavy so that didn't help. AND Suzy's DVD players weren't working so that was stressful for her.

About two hours in, Jack-Jack had to go potty. We just went to a gas station but the bathroom was spotless so we felt that was a score and everyone went. A few hours later, we stopped again. Buzz was about to die without a DVD player and Suzy wanted someone to kill her. I guess their car was a little more stressful than ours. Sadly, they way we were set-up was not really ideal for trading kids so they all had to deal with the lack of entertainment. Suzy was the true sufferer, despite Buzz's complaints, because to keep the whining down she let them play with HER entertainment. Leaving her bored to tears.

And a short hour after that, we were hungry. We eat fairly early and I'd only had a taco. So it was probably around 5.

For any of you who travel down 77, cell phone service in WV, VA, NC is very sketchy. So we had discussed where to stop but Suzy had caught a bit of 3G and was talking to her realtor (remember, they were buying/selling/etc houses) and missed the exit we got off. So they just texted to pick something and they'd deal with our decision.

But they weren't counting on us picking Bojangles :)

We had never eaten there and were all wanting to be a tiny bit adventurous. They were not really feeling all that adventurous. But they rolled with it.

DSCN0418.jpg

DSCN0419.jpg

You know what? It was delicious! We all loved our food. There were these yummy little chicken bites that were roasted chicken and not breaded like so many places. And the green beans were really peppery. I love me some green beans so this made me really happy. Oh, and the biscuits. I always get corn bread at KFC because I think their biscuits are yucky. But Bojangles biscuits: yum! So adventure had won out. But don't get used to it. We only like a little adventure. Otherwise, we like the travel the well beaten path.

Donald needed a break, so I took the steering wheel. I like to drive. Listening to music and Emmy and I chitchatting (she sat up front with me.) And the best part of driving is Donald has to deal with all of the kid's antics. I get a break from being Mom.

He entertained the kids with our old Disney videos. And time just simply flew by. Flew.

Donald had uploaded a BUNCH of cool Disney tunes to his iphone. Which is crazy that that is exciting since we all have a TON of Disney music. But it was totally different stuff than my stuff so we all thoroughly enjoyed that. Work called a couple times, despite it being Friday night. I'm pretty sure people weren't completely happy with our departure. But, again a perk of driving, Donald dealt with most of the calls since I was busy. :)

And we drove on. We stopped to gas up, our last stop of the day before our hotel, and Emmy was being seriously checked out by the class of men there. Let me just say, when we walked into the gas station there were muddy BAREfeet marks all over the floors. Ewww! Loud music was blasting from all the open truck windows. Emmy and I couldn't stop laughing as she always says the reason she doesn't have a man is the kind of men who appreciate her fabulousness are not really her kind of man. And from the barefooted, toothless wonders at this place, who were practically DROOLING when she walked by, I now understand.

Again, Ew! We could not fill up and leave fast enough.

To distract us from that (or maybe to stop our manic laughter) Donald got us started playing the license plate game in earnest. Emmy had never played before. Really? I had no idea other families didn't play this game. My family is practically obsessed with license plates. Just a few hours into playing Emmy was REALLY into it. She was frustrated that she could never get one we didn't have yet before us. But we are all skilled players.

So at some point, just before dark, she scared the whatever out of me by yelling, "IDAHO!!! IDAHO!!!!" :lmao::lmao::lmao: Seriously. She was so excited.

I also talked to my mom for about a half hour or so. She called to thank me for all my hard work and told me that she felt as though a cloud had been lifted on her entire life.

Well, I don't know if that was true, since it's been a really rough 6 months since then, but it made for a nice conversation at the time.

Anyhow, at 10:20 p.m. we pulled into our hotel for the night. Thanks to my disastrous choice in March, we paid a little more money and got better digs. Or at least cleaner.

We got our little overnight bags and checked in. Sitting outside our room in the hallway all stretched out were two girls texting what seemed to be each other, though that doesn't make much sense. They sat there despite our big group of people kind of taking up the space. It was rather bizarre. I tell you about them, not because at the moment it was important, but because we ran into them again. And that was a memorable moment which led me to remember the weirdness of two girls sitting in a hotel hallway and not moving their legs despite an herd of people needing to get in a doorway. Odd.

And here is out room. Emmy slept on the pull out couch. The tv in the main room was so irritating you cannot really understand unless you were there. But I took a photo to show you.

DSCN0420.jpg

See? It was maybe 6 inches away from the foot of the bed in the main exit/entrance to the bathroom. Stupid. If it hadn't been bolted down, I would have moved it. AND it had no remote. And we couldn't figure out how to change the channel on the actual tv. It was on Discovery so at least it wasn't bad. Needless to say, we just went to bed.

Emmy's digs:
DSCN0421.jpg

And that, my friends, was our first day. It was a shaky start but a delightful drive. 11:00 p.m.: into bed. Night John-boy!

I slept great! Maybe because I was driving away from the stress. Maybe because the bed was comfy. Maybe because I was absolutely exhausted.

I slept great. I woke up at 6:00 a.m. Played on my iphone until 6:30 and then decided to get started. I went and got coffee and then got ready to get in the shower with Boo. It was then that I realized I had brought the wrong tshirts! In my mad dash I had put the wrong shirts for our day in our overnight bags. And I couldn't find my make-up. I realize this is not normal for me. But it had been stressful, remember. The important thing was, I was going to Disney World.

We got in the shower & just put on what we had temporarily. Emmy had gone run on the treadmill. She is dedicated! As I got everyone ready Donald turned on the tv, which as you recall was stuck on Discovery. And it just happened to be shark week. If you thought my life was stressful before you canNOT imagine the stress of getting ready to shark week. I hope this never happens to me again.

After we were remotely ready we headed down to the breakfast provided by the hotel. It was a very nice room and a nice spread. Really enjoyable. Donald and I sat in these relaxing chairs right under the flat screen tv which was on Fox News. Now, I do not want to get political on here. But it would be impossible for me to describe the scene in here without mentioning this. As it was the Weiner scandel. On Fox News. The room was packed. Packed! We had gotten the good spots right before they all came. Here is the room without the crowd:

DSCN0423.jpg

But within moments, every chair in there was full. And everyone in there was LOVING the Fox News rendition of the Weiner scandal. And they HATED Obama. They were emotional and vocal about the whole thing. Being a person who is interested in politics but neutral in all of the opinions it was a little hard for me to take a room full of people believing 100% of everything said on tv. I may have even heard a few Hallelujah's which made me distinctly uncomfortable. Donald was thoroughly enjoying my squirming all around. It may have even been a highlight for him.

Suzy during all of this was eating McQueen's leftovers as usual. When there are so many choices he has to have them all and eat actually nothing. So Suzy just ate whatever.

I escaped the moment I was done eating to go dig out the tshirts which required me to actually get into the car top carrier. Ugh. But fortune was on my side and they were in the first suitcase I pulled out. And then I found my makeup easily.

Then I sat in the van for a little peace and quiet while I called in to work. We aren't open on Saturday but there still were questions from the Friday.

I took the shirts upstairs and we changed and finished packing. As the men were packing we redid the drawings on the vans. Emmy did some writing on Suzy & Milo's van which gave her great pleasure for the rest of the week.

DSCN0483.jpg

I guess this is a SNL act. She and Donald were amused. The rest of us didn't really get it.

Our van also was confusing as it said something about princesses and a wicked stepmother. Donald wrote it on there. This confused people. And the thing is when you have writing all over your vehicle about Disney you are essentially asking people to ask you about it. I am the only extrovert in our vehicle. And I'm pretty obviously the mom. Which meant that at EVERY stop people said things like, "It's great of you to take your stepkids to Disney." And "Wow! You're a wonder woman to take on all those kids. Their dad must be one lucky guy."

The first few times I tried to explain that the back of our van in no way reflected our actual family situation and I was the real mom. This led to the most confused looks on these friendly stranger's faces. I asked Donald to change it. But he liked it and no one was saying anything weird to him.

So I came up with a new strategy which was to say, "Yeah, you have NO IDEA how lucky he is. I'm a total saint." This lead to knowing smiles and "uh-huh! You said it sister."

Our van art was definitely not our best work.

The other thing was those girls from our hallway were packing up at the same time as us. Their family actually WAS confusing. As one was black and one was white so the night before we thought they were best friends. But the morning brought out their parents and it was then obvious they were stepsisters and best friends. They were going on a cruise. And they were wearing cropped Hooters shirts and shorts that were so short you could see EVERYTHING. How old do you have to be to work at Hooters? Because these girls looked 14. But obviously not. And their mom was dressed the same! And she was not the right shape to be a Hooters girl.

Anyway, it was one of those things that was fascinating and we struggled to not stare.

I guess it was just going to be one of those days. Because later just south of Jacksonville we stopped at Subway for lunch and there was a line out the door. Emmy had accidentally worn into the Subway her pipe cleaner Mickey antennae she had been working on in the van to entertain Boo and I was making fun of her. But then we realized that in this particular Subway an adult wearing pipe cleaner antennae was perfectly normal. STRANGE people in very strange outfits.

Another interesting thing at this Subway was Mulan and Buzz struck up a conversation with a lovely elderly couple who had been to Disney forever and started telling us that they always stay off site and their favorite house was called Disneylicious. What? No way. That's where we are staying!

DSCN0426.jpg

You can't see it in here. The weird people, I mean.

Trust me.

Next up:

We make it to Disney.

Our van also was confusing as it said something about princesses and a wicked stepmother. Donald wrote it on there. This confused people. And the thing is when you have writing all over your vehicle about Disney you are essentially asking people to ask you about it. I am the only extrovert in our vehicle. And I'm pretty obviously the mom. Which meant that at EVERY stop people said things like, "It's great of you to take your stepkids to Disney." And "Wow! You're a wonder woman to take on all those kids. Their dad must be one lucky guy."

The first few times I tried to explain that the back of our van in no way reflected our actual family situation and I was the real mom. This led to the most confused looks on these friendly stranger's faces. I asked Donald to change it. But he liked it and no one was saying anything weird to him.

So I came up with a new strategy which was to say, "Yeah, you have NO IDEA how lucky he is. I'm a total saint." This lead to knowing smiles and "uh-huh! You said it sister."

Our van art was definitely not our best work.

This had me LOL! :lmao: Great to see you back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter