Surprise! Your low ball offer has been accepted!

I just realized @thelionqueen that one collateral "benefit" of this whole situation is that I will potentially have not just one, but two, contracts with your favorite folks at FA at the same time.

:bored:

In regards to sellers backing out...
We have gone to ROFR to buy resales seven times. We closed successfully five times. One was taken by the mouse in ROFR and one was cancelled by the sellers on day 9 in ROFR.

One was taken by the mouse in ROFR and one was cancelled by the sellers on day 9 in ROFR.

So I'll apologize for my lack of knowledge. I'm just looking into DVC now and doing all my research (so reading a lot of sites and a lot of threads on the Disboards), but what does everyone mean when they say "taken by the mouse"? Does Disney swoop in and buy these back at a cost higher than what you agreed on?

So I'll apologize for my lack of knowledge. I'm just looking into DVC now and doing all my research (so reading a lot of sites and a lot of threads on the Disboards), but what does everyone mean when they say "taken by the mouse"? Does Disney swoop in and buy these back at a cost higher than what you agreed on?

Short version is Disney has the “right of first refusal”. That means that all contracts are sent to Disney where they determine if they like your few so much that they jump in as the buyer. You, the buyer, are now cut out and your deposit is refunded. Disney cuts in as the buyer and transacts the deal with the seller. All terms stay the same.

Yeah, like Texas said. Disney basically has the right to decide if they like, and want, the deal that the buyer agreed to with the seller. They say 'yep' we want it...or 'no thanks'. If yep, they swap in as the buyer and we, the original buyer, get our deposit back and go back to looking for a contract. If nope, we, the buyer, move forward with the purchase.

If Disney buys it, they add it to their inventory to sell direct. They tend not to keep a lot of inventory so it's a guessing game to know when they'll take a contract.

Yeah, like Texas said. Disney basically has the right to decide if they like, and want, the deal that the buyer agreed to with the seller. They say 'yep' we want it...or 'no thanks'. If yep, they swap in as the buyer and we, the original buyer, get our deposit back and go back to looking for a contract. If nope, we, the buyer, move forward with the purchase.

If Disney buys it, they add it to their inventory to sell direct. They tend not to keep a lot of inventory so it's a guessing game to know when they'll take a contract.

The weird thing is that they have a lot of March SSR points with no WL, yet they’re buying those back like crazy. Maybe they’re gearing up to start offering them as one-time stay incentives for CCV like they did for Poly. Who knows??? It’s all conjecture.

The weird thing is that they have a lot of March SSR points with no WL, yet they’re buying those back like crazy. Maybe they’re gearing up to start offering them as one-time stay incentives for CCV like they did for Poly. Who knows??? It’s all conjecture.
oh, i bet they are.

@TexasChick123 & @lovin'fl - thanks for the informative repsonses. Does Disney have ROFR on all resales? Say it was someone I know and they just wanted to onload b/c they didn't want to go anymore or had hit the max life they wanted to on it, does Disney have ROFR on that resale? or just from the 3rd party sites?

May I ask...where do you find points that Disney owns for some of these older contracts/locations? We are apparently not looking in the right place because we have wanted to by some initial points direct for the 'perks' and then probably buy resale after that. All I have been able to find are the new locations.

May I ask...where do you find points that Disney owns for some of these older contracts/locations? We are apparently not looking in the right place because we have wanted to by some initial points direct for the 'perks' and then probably buy resale after that. All I have been able to find are the new locations.
You contact Disney for those. They will likely say that they are only selling CCV and Aulani but if you say that you will only buy 'enter your desired resort here' they can sell you points at any resort. Some are hard to get from Disney and some simply may not come available (or you could waitlist if they will allow it) but most of the resorts they will be able to sell you. Often times the difference in price is hard to make up in perks when buying the older resorts direct.

You contact Disney for those. They will likely say that they are only selling CCV and Aulani but if you say that you will only buy 'enter your desired resort here' they can sell you points at any resort. Some are hard to get from Disney and some simply may not come available (or you could waitlist if they will allow it) but most of the resorts they will be able to sell you. Often times the difference in price is hard to make up in perks when buying the older resorts direct.
Thanks for the info....final question. Can you, or someone, point me to where we can find the information on what you currently do and don't get purchasing resale vs direct? I have found some old information from 2016 but thought i had seen a more recent list (say over the past 6 mths or so).
I guess I am really wondering about the parking fees. If we purchase resale do we get to park at theme parks for free? what about the new resort parking fees?
I know we won't get the AP discount which is kind of a bummer. Not as concerned about the cruises/DVC gatherings/etc....nor the discounts for food or such (although any little bit would be nice)

Thanks for the info....final question. Can you, or someone, point me to where we can find the information on what you currently do and don't get purchasing resale vs direct? I have found some old information from 2016 but thought i had seen a more recent list (say over the past 6 mths or so).
I guess I am really wondering about the parking fees. If we purchase resale do we get to park at theme parks for free? what about the new resort parking fees?
I know we won't get the AP discount which is kind of a bummer. Not as concerned about the cruises/DVC gatherings/etc....nor the discounts for food or such (although any little bit would be nice)

Resort parking for DVC owners is part of the common use areas covered under yearly dues - this has been covered ad nauseam on these boards since the announcement of parking fees (not saying you should know it - merely informing on how I have come to know the answer). They can't be segmented out by resale and new owners.

Basically as a resale owner now you simply get a contract for points that gives you lodging at DVC resorts. You don't get any of the Membership Magic events, discounts, access to lounges, etc.

Last edited:
There are many posts on here about the perks of resale vs direct so have a read through the DVC board. In short, resale and direct both get free parking (not really fee, we pay in our dues to maintain parking). Resale does not get access to member events, discounted AP's and other discounts (merchandise, food), Epcot lounge, or trading out for such things as cruises (poor use of points anyways). Resale does get access to Top of the World Lounge and can exchange through RCI.

There are many posts on here about the perks of resale vs direct so have a read through the DVC board. In short, resale and direct both get free parking (not really fee, we pay in our dues to maintain parking). Resale does not get access to member events, discounted AP's and other discounts (merchandise, food), Epcot lounge, or trading out for such things as cruises (poor use of points anyways). Resale does get access to Top of the World Lounge and can exchange through RCI.
I had read a few but was getting confused as to some of the verbiage and discussion. Thanks for the info....we will see what happens!

That is low. Just over a year ago I had $75 accepted on a 160 pointer with all the previous year's (2016's) points banked. I wasn't going 2017 so immediately rented the excess points (reducing net buy in to $62 a point) and banked the 2017 points into this year, where I am going to enjoy them very shortly at Boardwalk and AKV Kidani. It passed ROFR quick, but I was nervous.

Great pric op. Good luck with rofr. In your case, since you already have a good chunk of points and these are just extra gravy, I think you’re smart trying for as low as you can get. I bet you’re going to pass rofr on something that’s a great deal. Fingers crossed for you.

Great pric op. Good luck with rofr. In your case, since you already have a good chunk of points and these are just extra gravy, I think you’re smart trying for as low as you can get. I bet you’re going to pass rofr on something that’s a great deal. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks. I got greeted this morning with my refrigerator’s compressor going out because of a power surge. We have a home warranty, but that is not a good way to start the day. Maybe when they take this contract, I will be using that $$$ to buy a new fridge. I really hope not because it isn’t nearly as fun as Disney points, but that may be how it works out. :( What stinks is we have a very nice fridge, and there’s a cap on home warranty payoffs. Fingers crossed they can fix it!

Good luck! This is fun to read because I have been thinking about adding on again. Hope it all goes through for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter