Surprise Upgrade???

I've never done on-line check-in, but got a surprise upgrade to CL at my Beach Club stay in 2012. CM with a clipboard met me coming off the ME bus, asked my name, and told me the news. :woohoo:

FWIW, I had booked a Standard View room, and was still a Standard View at 5th Floor Club Level, overlooking the front entrance. It was a great location, no neighbors to my right or across the hall, straight shot to the lounge/concierge desk, and convenient to the elevators.

Many years ago we got an upgrade from POR to WL, but we knew ahead of time. Someone called us and asked if we were interested. We actually wavered, as we had wanted POR, but decided we couldn't turn down an upgrade and were so glad we did. I love both resorts, but there's just something about WL that I love, and I love balconies that you can't get at the moderates. This was way before online check-in.

We've gotten an upgrade at POR from SV to water view (or river view, whichever they call it) a couple of times out of many trips. They never say anything, we just see it when we get to the room. Once was a great corner room with a view of the river and the water wheel/main building. I never do online check in.

Out of 25 or so trips, that's it. We got married at the WL and didn't get an upgrade for the stay (again, not that I would ever expect one at Disney, but if there was ever a time to think about one that might be it). I guess I don't think about it much, I would love an upgrade but book the room we want. The only time it crossed my mind was when we stayed at the Poly GV CL. I had it in the back of my mind that we could get a LV or TPV upgrade, but no dice. :rotfl::rotfl: Just wishful thinking, and we had a great GV room. But jokes on us, as we booked LV CL this year. See, they get our money for the better view without even enticing us with a free upgrade first :rotfl2: Seriously, we would have booked GV again but couldn't get it with the RO discount.

I guess this counts but a few years back we had booked a standard room at Pop Century with free dining. Prior to arriving we received an email that due to a planned refurb, we were being offered an upgrade, and ended up in a 1 BR suite at Saratoga Springs.

Last Dec., on my first solo trip, I was upgraded from a standard room at POR to a preferred room. I had checked in on-line.

I see no negative to on-line check in. Have done it since it started and will continue to do so.

I love hearing stories of complimentary upgrades at the WDW resorts! Such happy news! I'm sure the vast majority of us do not expect to be upgraded, but it sure feels good to know it happens to some of us!:banana:

We've been to WDW 3 times and not once were we upgraded. Like most, we did dream about it! We did not check-in online, though. And we arrived in the evening all 3 times. Presently, we don't have plans to make a return trip to WDW anytime in the near future. However, the moment we start planning our next Disney vacay, we will also start dreaming about an upgrade. No harm in that, I say! Makes the wait so much more fun! :)

We have been twice since 2010 and no upgrade. Once we stayed at OKW in a 2 bedroom villa and the second time at POFQ, standard room. We are already booked for 2014 at POFQ again but I cannot express how much I would LOVE to be upgraded to one of the deluxe resorts...that's not too much to ask is it?? :rotfl:

We were travelling with 3 other familes in Sept '11...We reserved 5 standard rooms at All star sports and just requested they be in the same building/same floor. When we checked in, we got preferred rooms, 5 in a row. Right beside the food court! Awesome! :thumbsup2

Just curious for all of you have received surprise upgrades, had you checked in online before you arrived or did you just do the normal check in? Is there a chance of being upgraded if you check in online?? I know that upgrades happen few and far between however, I was just trying to figure out which happen more frequently. Please share your stories!!!

You can also do it on the phone but... Whatever you do, don't even think about asking to add "room upgrade if available" to your advance check-in request (something you can usually do during advanced check-in in many hotels). I have been told by the charming lady that if I wanted a better room, I should make a reservation and pay for it! (And she refused to write the request in our file). :duck:

I just remembered, we were upgraded in Polynesian because our neighbours (kids) were screaming like they were being murdered (I assure you, they were not) so they changed our room for a lagoon view.

Just curious for all of you have received surprise upgrades, had you checked in online before you arrived or did you just do the normal check in? Is there a chance of being upgraded if you check in online?? I know that upgrades happen few and far between however, I was just trying to figure out which happen more frequently. Please share your stories!!!

We received an upgrade when we stayed at WL two years ago. We were booked woods view, bunkbeds, but got upgraded to inner courtyard bunkbeds. Our TA had checked us in online before our stay.

Our first ever trip back in March...we booked a Standard room. I had heard of doing a fax request, so I submitted one telling them in general what I would prefer and why. We were upgraded to a garden view room at POR in Alligator Bayou. Gorgeous!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter