Surprise AP & Ticket Increase

It's amazing to me that, just two and a half years ago - June, 2016 - we bought two Deluxe passes and one Signature, which, all together, cost us $2047 (and $1000 of that was already paid because we upgraded five-day hoppers). The signature pass at that time included PP. Now, if I were to re-up those same passes (which would NOT include PP), they'd cost a whopping $2607, plus $300 if we wanted MP. That's in less than three years. Astounding. The price increase on the Signature pass, in particular, is really something. Back when we bought ours, $849 for the Signature seemed reasonable for what you got. But $1149? Hardly.

Hi this is a dumb question but here goes anyway. I bought undercover tourist tickets, which I linked to my disneyland app. When entering the park, I can just open the app and have them scan the tickets stored on the app for park admission?
You can indeed do this, but be sure to bring the paper tickets with you in case you need to pull paper FPs, as you can't do so from the phone and if Maxpass goes down, then you would be unable to pull FPs without paper tickets.

It's amazing to me that, just two and a half years ago - June, 2016 - we bought two Deluxe passes and one Signature, which, all together, cost us $2047 (and $1000 of that was already paid because we upgraded five-day hoppers). The signature pass at that time included PP. Now, if I were to re-up those same passes (which would NOT include PP), they'd cost a whopping $2607, plus $300 if we wanted MP. That's in less than three years. Astounding. The price increase on the Signature pass, in particular, is really something. Back when we bought ours, $849 for the Signature seemed reasonable for what you got. But $1149? Hardly.

When i first started getting annual passes, the Premium pass was around $149, granted this was in 1996, but that would be about $240 today, even if you doubled it because there are two parks, that would be $480. We thought it was highway robbery when it went up to $199 and then another $100 to add the ability to go to California Adventure, making it $299 for both parks with no blackout dates. Disney had to scale that back, reducing the price back to $199 for both parks because it was too expensive at the time. But that was relatively short lived as Disney introduced payment plans around 2008, which as it turns out is making them tons of money because they can essentially raise the prices as much as they want and people will continue to pay it because they can pay monthly. Consider this, the first year we did monthly payments, our payments were about $28 a month, then the next year, they raised the prices by $40, but we all said that was ok, as the payments only went up about $1 a month with the renewal discount. This has continued year after year with Disney playing it smart by raising prices and when looking at the full price, it seems that they raise them by a lot, but again they are smart the way they raise the prices doesn't add "that much" to the monthly payments, so people will continue to pay it.

The problem this year is they may not have done it as smartly as before, as for say the Signature Plus Pass, the monthly payments are going up by almost $17 a month and there are fewer benefits, for example it used to be that if your old Signature Pass had Photopass included, it would be grandfathered in and you would keep it, as it turned out that grandfathered in was only valid for one renewal and the next time you renew it will not be grandfathered in, so you either have to not have it or pay for Maxpass and now MaxPass is an extra $100.

I am wondering if Disney didn't pay attention to Apple's problems this year, because had they done so, they would have known that this could potentially have huge problems for them starting about 6 months after Galaxy's Edge opens, so even the timing of this price increase makes absolutely no sense because it isn't going to help them with the most crowded times at Galaxy's Edge. I get over crowding is an issue and will be even more of an issue with Galaxy's Edge, but this isn't going to solve that, the bottom line is Disney hasn't been doing enough to add capacity to the parks, they really need to add some people eater attractions in both parks.

For example, do a HIGH quality show on the bottom floor of what is currently Star Wars Launch Bay, using the rotating theater. When new Tomorrowland was being proposed, they had suggest Mickey's Galactic Review, which could work well. Make some more Omnimover attractions, but don't go cheap on them, go all out. Bring back more of the atmosphere entertainment, this keeps people busy as well. Put in more sit down restaurants and again, it will take people. Basically add more things to do that take longer periods of time but can handle large amounts of people at a time.

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question...but I just have to ask. Will the current ticket promotion really be available for purchase through the May date that's listed (May 18)? We are planning to visit in either March or early May, but I'm scared to buy tickets this far out since they're nonrefundable and have an expiration date in late May. It says on the promotion that the tickets can be purchased through May 18th. If so, I'll wait until closer to our trip to purchase them. But if it's possible that the promotion will be taken off the site early, I might need to go ahead and buy them.

Given that those promo tickets are a special offer that was announced before the price adjustment (which I'm sure they already had planned) I think its extremely unlikely that they would end the promotion early or change the price on those tickets.

ETA: Sorry, DISBoards wasn't displaying all the posts when I answered this. I see now it's already been answered (though clearly I agree with the answer ;) )

Last edited:

You can indeed do this, but be sure to bring the paper tickets with you in case you need to pull paper FPs, as you can't do so from the phone and if Maxpass goes down, then you would be unable to pull FPs without paper tickets.

I believe UT sends eTickets so you'll get the paper ticket you can use for FP when the ticket in the app is first scanned in at the gate. I don't think there's a reason to bring a printout of your eTicket from UT unless you are worried about possible issues with your phone or the app and want to have a hard copy with you just in case. I used to do that but rarely bother any more...

The problem this year is they may not have done it as smartly as before, as for say the Signature Plus Pass, the monthly payments are going up by almost $17 a month and there are fewer benefits, for example it used to be that if your old Signature Pass had Photopass included, it would be grandfathered in and you would keep it, as it turned out that grandfathered in was only valid for one renewal and the next time you renew it will not be grandfathered in, so you either have to not have it or pay for Maxpass and now MaxPass is an extra $100.

Except this is in direct conflict with the official word in writing on Disney's website about this (I posted a screenshot earlier). It is supposed to be grandfathered indefinitely as long as the pass is maintained at that level and never lapses. I've yet to find anywhere that says in writing it was only for one renewal.

Thinking back, I remember getting hell trying to get my dining PhotoPass codes when PhotoPass started being included with my Sig+. The CM attempted to debate me and say I had to purchase the package to get the code (that it wasn't included in my PhotoPass benefit) and finally conceded when I showed them in writing that it said I was entitled to it. I kept that page handy every single time I did character dining. It took over a year before they ceased giving me a hard time with it. By that point, they were scanning my pass and actually giving me a receipt (for $0.00) before giving me the code.

The fact people are getting it reinstated when they contact PhotoPass also speaks to the fact it shouldn't have been removed. My best guess? It's another case of misinformed CMs. It happens. If it's a policy change, though, then they need to update the website.

I believe UT sends eTickets so you'll get the paper ticket you can use for FP when the ticket in the app is first scanned in at the gate. I don't think there's a reason to bring a printout of your eTicket from UT unless you are worried about possible issues with your phone or the app and want to have a hard copy with you just in case. I used to do that but rarely bother any more...

So you're saying when I scan my UT tickets linked in my DL app for park admission, that a gate agent will hand me a paper ticket?

So you're saying when I scan my UT tickets linked in my DL app for park admission, that a gate agent will hand me a paper ticket?

Yes, and you should be asked to sign that ticket which will be about the size of a credit card, printed on thicker card stock. The CM will take your photo to attach digitally to that ticket. (All this takes about a minute at the turnstile.) Take a photo of the back of that ticket with a clear image of the bar code and numbers. In case the ticket gets lost or stolen, the photo will make getting a replacement at Guest Services much easier. You will need that paper ticket to use at the FP machines for F! and WOC (if those shows are running during your trip dates) because those shows aren't yet lnked to the MP system. And some guests choose to use the paper ticket to scan at the FP return lines for rides to save on phone battery. Many guests just use their phones to scan in. Both ways work fine.

Yes, and you should be asked to sign that ticket which will be about the size of a credit card, printed on thicker card stock. The CM will take your photo to attach digitally to that ticket. (All this takes about a minute at the turnstile.) Take a photo of the back of that ticket with a clear image of the bar code and numbers. In case the ticket gets lost or stolen, the photo will make getting a replacement at Guest Services much easier. You will need that paper ticket to use at the FP machines for F! and WOC (if those shows are running during your trip dates) because those shows aren't yet lnked to the MP system. And some guests choose to use the paper ticket to scan at the FP return lines for rides to save on phone battery. Many guests just use their phones to scan in. Both ways work fine.
Just a heads up the portable show machines can now read the ticket barcode in the app.

I am debating buying five-day park hoppers from LMT right now and lletting our APs expire on February 27 and then using the park hoppers and upgrading. Anyone see anything risky about doing this?
Follow up to my own question:

If I do this, can I upgrade the park hoppers to an AP and use the park hopper value as my deposit than put the rest on the monthly payment plan? Or do I have to pay in full if I upgrade from park hoppers to AP?

Follow up to my own question:

If I do this, can I upgrade the park hoppers to an AP and use the park hopper value as my deposit than put the rest on the monthly payment plan? Or do I have to pay in full if I upgrade from park hoppers to AP?
You can use the parkhoppers as the deposit. You can also add money to it then to decrease the monthly payment if you wish.

I was a longtime DLAP (like over 10+ years), but once my kids started elementary school and the price ramped up we stopped getting APs. We did get SoCal one year, but found it not worth the cost based on our availability.

I haven't been to DCA since August 2017 and DL in Feb 2017. We took some of our Disneyland savings and put it towards a deluxe WDW vacation in August 2018. We had a blast. Now I'm considering buying the three day So Cal ticket and going this winter since we're uninterested in Star Wars. I do not see us buying DL annual passes again until the far future. Maybe when we're empty nesters and I can go whenever I want!

I'd be willing to put the money we're saving from not buying Annual Passes into a 2-3 night stay at the DLR with parkhoppers, but I'm not sure if we'd spend any less!

I'm sure all those people who have been having trouble with MaxPass recently will appreciate the 50% price increase.
a 50% increase on the max pass is ridiculously mean! this same service is free at disney world. we went last september and we had no problems with it. made it so much easier on the feet. i guess if people pay it, what the hell.

a 50% increase on the max pass is ridiculously mean! this same service is free at disney world. we went last september and we had no problems with it. made it so much easier on the feet. i guess if people pay it, what the hell.
Not really. WDW FP+ does not include photos like MP does. So you have to pay for those at WDW. As much as $200 for MemoryMaker.

And if you count your time as worth anything, FP+ takes time ahead of your trip. MP takes zero time ahead of your trip. On Dec 31 a week ago I was up at 5AM to make my FP+ reservations for WDW in early March (a short 3 day trip). Plus I have a lot of sunk time in learning the FP+ system over the last few years whereas MP is much more straightforward to anyone who knows the legacy paper FP system.

:wizard:

Last edited:
1. The initial $10 price was listed as an introductory price.
2. Disney World does not offer this service. FP+ at WDW is VERY different than MaxPass.

For example, at WDW in NYE 2017 we had 3 FPs in Epcot. We were unable to collect anymore passes, and all 3 passes had to be in 1 park. Disneyland with MaxPass on NYE in 2018, we collected 7 FP between 2 parks. (And I didn't have to get up at 3am...)

You do not have to pay for MaxPass. Legacy FP is available, and even it is better than FP+.

Hi all, I know this is a very basic question but just want to be sure. A few months ago I bought our 2 day park hoppers with MP that we will be using next Friday and Saturday, Jan 18 and 19. Are my tickets ready to use as they are now, or will I have to pay the difference to reflect the increase at the gate?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter