Super low wait times?!

Is this for real? Kids are still in school in the middle/end of June? And not just SOME schools, but most?

It's really encouraging to me that summer crowds seem to be staying relatively low like last year. But we are going the weekend before July 4 (July 1-3 in the parks) and I'm worried about an uptick. Other than the fireworks at night, is the time around 4th of July pretty much business as usual for the summer or will it be much worse?

Not sure what "North" is, but must not be the midwest. In MN, and every other surrounding state school's been out for awhile now, like a couple weeks. Friends in Michigan are out now, and they were the last ones on Facebook that I saw in school past like June 5!

Buffalo, NY here --my preschoolers finished last week but my elementary school aged daughter's last day is this Thursday 6/21. School resumes after Labor Day this fall.

We're the same. I grew up in MA and currently live in NY and school always gets out in late June (usually 3rd week) and starts the day after labor day. I'm always shocked when I hear how some kids go back in early August! Even mid-Aug still seems so early to me...it's still summer! To me school start = fall. School end = summer (June 21st or so being the usual first official day of summer.) Not a perfect match up since summer doesn't officially end until late Sept, but it's close, since it usually starts getting cooler here in mid-Sept. Is it the weather that causes the different shifts in school times across the country?

I'm watching this thread closely now since we still haven't chosen when to make our Disney visit in 2018.

Last edited:
Is this for real? Kids are still in school in the middle/end of June? And not just SOME schools, but most?

Yes, it is for real. Many Northern states are still in school this week. Many Canadian schools are also currently in session as well.

Not sure what "North" is, but must not be the midwest. In MN, and every other surrounding state school's been out for awhile now, like a couple weeks. Friends in Michigan are out now, and they were the last ones on Facebook that I saw in school past like June 5!

Chicago public schools did not get out until this past Friday.

I think a lot of people will skip going to Disney because of the price increase on tickets and everything. My niece was going to go to MK for 1 day and was shocked it would cost 500 or so to get in. They decided to go to Sea World and Disney Springs while there.

I recall last year there were reports from folks here on the boards that early-to-mid August the crowd level drop was substantial.

I've been the last 11 Augusts (first or second week) and I have not seen an appreciable change in crowds during that time frame.

FWIW April and October are crowd nightmares.....

I know people who vacation in Orlando, stay in a Disney resort, but don't go to WDW.

I have heard of people staying at Disney but doing "non-park" vacations. They go to DS, go to Orlando Eye, relax at the pool etc.

We were there week before last and the crowds seemed a little lower than normal, but not super slow by any means. I do think the constant rain and the fact that not all schools had gotten out, has been a big part of it though.

That is true about the rain, never thought of that. I bet it kept locals away.

Wow, 7:49pm in the summer and FOP with a 65 minute wait time, and 7DMT at 100 min is the only ride at or above 100 min

Only a minority of WDW parkgoers stay at the WDW resorts. So the resorts can be packed without the parks being filled.

I know people who vacation in Orlando, stay in a Disney resort, but don't go to WDW.

I can see how those who are attending conventions may want to do this but I don't think I could stay on Disney property and not walk into the parks even for one day. There are much nicer and reasonably priced hotels off property.

I think a lot of people will skip going to Disney because of the price increase on tickets and everything. My niece was going to go to MK for 1 day and was shocked it would cost 500 or so to get in. They decided to go to Sea World and Disney Springs while there.

I'm sure this is also a factor. I don't think I'll ever be done with Disney but I will space out our vacations. They certainly won't be annually anymore.

It's really encouraging to me that summer crowds seem to be staying relatively low like last year. But we are going the weekend before July 4 (July 1-3 in the parks) and I'm worried about an uptick. Other than the fireworks at night, is the time around 4th of July pretty much business as usual for the summer or will it be much worse?

Absolutely! Here in New Hampshire a few schools got out at the end of last week. Many finish this week. We go back right around Labor Day.

I can see how those who are attending conventions may want to do this but I don't think I could stay on Disney property and not walk into the parks even for one day. There are much nicer and reasonably priced hotels off property.
Depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. A more spacious room, you can get for less money off-property, but a pool complex that truly equals Stormalong Bay, no. The pool complex at Four Seasons can equal that, but it's much more expensive than Yacht Club or Beach Club. Also, the Epcot resorts are within walking distance of several good, diverse restaurants. You don't feel like you're eating "hotel food" with those. There is a free bus to a shopping & entertainment center (Disney Springs), Fantasia miniature golf is within walking distance, you can drive a boat on Crescent Lake, and more. Staying at a Disney resort also relieves you of the need for a rental car, provides complimentary transport to & from the airport, and also takes care of your luggage to & from the airport. So there are many amenities at the Disney resorts that standard hotels don't have.

Last edited:
I'm always shocked when I hear how some kids go back in early August! Even mid-Aug still seems so early to me...it's still summer! To me school start = fall. School end = summer (June 21st or so being the usual first official day of summer.) Not a perfect match up since summer doesn't officially end until late Sept, but it's close, since it usually starts getting cooler here in mid-Sept. Is it the weather that causes the different shifts in school times across the country?
No, it isn't about weather. In the deep South, where school ends by early June & begins in mid-August, we get hot or warm weather at least from April through October, and usually in March & November, too. So if cool weather were the indicator, kids here would spend only a few months each year in school.

I suspect everything in AK is dead compared to Pandora. Although, I think Navi River Journey is still down. However, Flights of Passage is supposed to be back up, and that sucks up the crowds like a black hole. Soarin' has been a lot better since they added the 3rd theater. TOT doesn't always get a long wait; Not everyone is willing to ride it. Those are pretty low wait times for Pirates and BTMRR. I wonder if the other parks are seeing lower crowds with Pandora pulling people in. Also, is Father's Day weekend usually a slower weekend than the rest of the summer?

Yes Fathers day weekend is pretty slow, truth is most dads dont want to spend time at disney. The economy in Brazil is bad and I dont think its too good in the UK either, they are a large part of our tourism

I'm not sure if anyone in the parks can confirm, but just from sporadically checking wait times over the weekend the crowd levels seemed to stay low. Today seems pretty busy though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!