Summer 2021 thoughts wishes.

We spent 7 weeks in Europe last summer as a family of five over 4 cruises! Med, Adriatic/Greece, Baltic, and Norway. Baltic and Norway were on the Magic.

Thought we had done Europe, but goodness me - it was so much fun that we are going back again this summer! The 10-nighter to Iceland this time.

For those of you fretting over flights to Copenhagen etc, fly into a major or cheaper airport first, Then take local trains or flights. We are flying into Germany and will spend some time touring central Europe before boarding in Copenhagen.

We spent 7 weeks in Europe last summer as a family of five over 4 cruises! Med, Adriatic/Greece, Baltic, and Norway. Baltic and Norway were on the Magic.

Thought we had done Europe, but goodness me - it was so much fun that we are going back again this summer! The 10-nighter to Iceland this time.

For those of you fretting over flights to Copenhagen etc, fly into a major or cheaper airport first, Then take local trains or flights. We are flying into Germany and will spend some time touring central Europe before boarding in Copenhagen.
This is a brilliant idea! This is why I love these boards! Thanks

More Hawaii please.

Chances of that in the summer are slim to none with the Fantasy and Dream locked into PC, the Magic in Europe and the Wonder in Alaska. Maybe once the new ships start it'll be possible. We have been waiting for a Hawaii cruise during school break for so long that eventually it won't be an issue any more because my son will be out of school.

We are a family of 5 too and the Greece cruise was insanely priced for us, so much that I couldn't help but wonder how anyone could really justify the cost (I try not to say things like that too!). It was something like $18,000-22,000 US for the 9 night. It doesn't help that with 5 there are few rooms on the Magic that will suit so it's either one super expensive room or two pretty expensive rooms :D

Although I am not sure we will keep it, we are booked on an NCL ship to Greece, 11 nights for about 1/4 of the cost.

Seriously! I only have one kid but prices are still well above what I wanted to spend. You could spend all summer in Greece for well under $18,000!

We are waiting for Transatlantic itinerary to come out and will probably book it along with a few days somewhere in Europe after. Will be the last year of middle school for my son so most likely last time I will take him out of school for this long.

If DCL announces summer itineraries the same day this year as last we only need to wait 21 more days! I seriously almost pulled the trigger on that 9 night eastern yesterday but sat down until the feeling went away. Reminding myself how much more it is now than on opening day.

We are a family of 5 too and the Greece cruise was insanely priced for us, so much that I couldn't help but wonder how anyone could really justify the cost (I try not to say things like that too!). It was something like $18,000-22,000 US for the 9 night. It doesn't help that with 5 there are few rooms on the Magic that will suit so it's either one super expensive room or two pretty expensive rooms :D

Although I am not sure we will keep it, we are booked on an NCL ship to Greece, 11 nights for about 1/4 of the cost.

For our family of four, inside stateroom, it was around 12K. However, when calculate the per-day price of $1,333 versus what we pay for the Verandah in the Caribbean of $1,050-$1,142, it isn't that bad. Yes, it is inside versus verandah stateroom, but every single port is appealing to us and the comfort of seeing multiple Greek islands, plus Athens, without having to catch ferries, plus the Amalfi coast and sicily, it is worth it to us. If I had to do two rooms, it would have been off the table.

Still hard to justify the cost when you can book a verandah with a competitor for less. Frankly, if it was my choice, we would have done the competitor line. But, the Magic is a superior ship then the other options during the same time period, and saving a few thousand dollars for the trip of a lifetime is not the highest priority. And I won't complain about going into a product I know and love. Since we don't have a lot of experience in Europe, I love the idea of coming "home" every evening to relax without the need to find a place to eat or entertainment. I know I sleep well on DCL, which is rarely the case in unfamiliar hotels. I also love the idea of unpacking once, yet seeing so many places. Super excited for this trip of a lifetime.

Last edited:
Still hard to justify the cost when you can book a verandah with a competitor for less. Frankly, if it was my choice, we would have done the competitor line. But, the Magic is a superior ship then the other options during the same time period, and saving a few thousand dollars for the trip of a lifetime is not the highest priority.

I am sure it will be an amazing trip!!! The Magic is beautiful and you can't go wrong with DCL. I would have loved to do it, but the budget is tighter with 5 especially cruising. On NCL's Getaway we were able to book an oceanview for 5. Actually, our cost works out to around $5,000 USD for an 11 night Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruise for 5 of us, a truly great deal compared to the $18,000-22,000 we were quoted for DCL's 9 night (and one of those quotes was for two inside rooms!) So when I could cruise 3 more times, yeah, hard to justify for sure! :) But I take your point. I'm currently trying to decide on a cruise in the Caribbean/Bahamas - DCL still pricier, but by a less crazy amount. I also love the product and feel it's worth some sort of upcharge, sometimes!

I am sure it will be an amazing trip!!! The Magic is beautiful and you can't go wrong with DCL. I would have loved to do it, but the budget is tighter with 5 especially cruising. On NCL's Getaway we were able to book an oceanview for 5. Actually, our cost works out to around $5,000 USD for an 11 night Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruise for 5 of us, a truly great deal compared to the $18,000-22,000 we were quoted for DCL's 9 night (and one of those quotes was for two inside rooms!) So when I could cruise 3 more times, yeah, hard to justify for sure! :) But I take your point. I'm currently trying to decide on a cruise in the Caribbean/Bahamas - DCL still pricier, but by a less crazy amount. I also love the product and feel it's worth some sort of upcharge, sometimes!

That is a great price for an 11 day cruise on a highly rated-ship. Sounds fantastic. It would have been my first choice if my wife agreed. But, I don't think our huge Europe trip was the right place to ease into other lines for her. Getting her to take the first DLC for her was a big step many years ago. She loved it so much that we went last year again (after a break for health reason), have this summer's cruise and one next March booked. But, she is willing to try some other lines soon (just not for our first Europe), which will open up a lot more itineraries and price options. Have a great trip!

What other cruise line did you use for the rest of your trip?

We had the 7 night Northern Europe/Baltic cruise booked for this coming August but cancelled because yes, flights are super expensive and so many stops. Jeez. We are from Vancouver and have tons of direct flight options all over Europe but Copenhagen is not one of them. So we're keeping our eyes open for the 2021 Northern Europe cruises and hoping to pull the trigger, plus our kids will be that much older to enjoy it (and I have a placeholder with the now-defunct OBC that I hope I can use as it expires end of August 2021).
Yes, the getting to Europe part can be tricky/expensive. We struggled to find cheap flights from Portland, OR to Barcelona for last summer. We brainstormed what other cities were close to Barcelona. We settled on flights through Dallas to Madrid with frequent flyer miles for only $25 per person one way. We LOVED our couple of days exploring Madrid and then took the train to Barcelona.

I know I was shocked by how much airfare was going to be to Copenhagen plus how much time it would take us to get there 21 hours through 3 airports my DH does not do that kind of travel well! I think we have settled on Hawaii this summer with flights, hotels, food, and excursions it will be half the cost of that cruise alone and the same price a 7 night eastern on the Fantasy. I'm hoping for some good pricing on opening day for summer 2021! Since we don't go back to school until after labor day I love going that last week in August.

I'm going a little off topic, but I was stunned to learn recently that here in Ontario many boards are going back to school before Labour Day next year (2020-2021). This has never, ever happened while my kids have been in school (my oldest is in Grade 9), nor during my own school days in Nova Scotia.

The explanation is that Labour Day is "late" in 2020, so starting after Labour Day would mean the school year running into July in 2021. Not sure how that makes sense either though. Labour Day is late this year, but that happens every 5-6 years as part of the normal cycle (last time in 2015), and this has never been an issue before.

Anyway, my first thought when I heard about the change was how easily I could get caught out on a cruise! A couple of summers ago we sailed out of Dover during the last week of August. Flew home on Labour Day and sent my kids to school the next day. It wouldn't even have occurred to me to check the school calendar before I booked that, but I guess I'll have to be more careful from now on! Sad, because that last week of August is a great time to travel.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge! We are planning our first Disney Cruise for next year. Its a special year, as we have been married 10 years and I have a big birthday. Myself, husband and daughter will be 4 or 5 depending when we travel. We live in England. I've been reading these forums with interest! I gather that the ship based in Europe in the summer months is the Magic? Currently thinking of trying to book something in Europe, ideally Med or Greek (although the prices on those seem crazy!) for August.
Our other option is last week May, first week June. Or October, but gather no ships will be in Europe then?
We would love to do a Carribean route, but obviously that means adding TA flights on which would put the price up significantly. Any advice or tips for this newbie would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge! We are planning our first Disney Cruise for next year. Its a special year, as we have been married 10 years and I have a big birthday. Myself, husband and daughter will be 4 or 5 depending when we travel. We live in England. I've been reading these forums with interest! I gather that the ship based in Europe in the summer months is the Magic? Currently thinking of trying to book something in Europe, ideally Med or Greek (although the prices on those seem crazy!) for August.
Our other option is last week May, first week June. Or October, but gather no ships will be in Europe then?
We would love to do a Carribean route, but obviously that means adding TA flights on which would put the price up significantly. Any advice or tips for this newbie would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much.
Yes, the Magic is in Europe from late May to early-mid September. For the past few years it's been in the Med from late May-early July. A repositioning cruise from Barcelona to Dover. Then 'Northern Europe' from late July, August, early September. Northern Europe could be the Baltic Sea, Norway, Norway/Iceland, or British Isles cruises. The Northern Europe cruises may be out of Copenhagen or Dover (or sometimes start in one, end in the other.) (From what people have seen on port schedules, Disney is likely to be doing this same general route in summer 2021.)

If you want Med/Greece and slightly cheaper, the late May/early June ones are your best bet. Late August/early September are the cheapest for the Northern Europe cruises. July is the most expensive as ALL the US kids have off from school.

Yes, the Magic is in Europe from late May to early-mid September. For the past few years it's been in the Med from late May-early July. A repositioning cruise from Barcelona to Dover. Then 'Northern Europe' from late July, August, early September. Northern Europe could be the Baltic Sea, Norway, Norway/Iceland, or British Isles cruises. The Northern Europe cruises may be out of Copenhagen or Dover (or sometimes start in one, end in the other.) (From what people have seen on port schedules, Disney is likely to be doing this same general route in summer 2021.)

If you want Med/Greece and slightly cheaper, the late May/early June ones are your best bet. Late August/early September are the cheapest for the Northern Europe cruises. July is the most expensive as ALL the US kids have off from school.

Thank you so much for your help, this is great information. Hoping to be ready to book once the summer itineraries are released!

how exciting! If you can go in October or May I would choose those times for cheaper rates. In October this year you can do a transatlantic from Dover to NYC or Bermuda out of NYC. Also in the past they have done a Bahamas cruise out of NYC in Octob er. It would be so much cheaper flight wise to fly from England to NYC versus Orlando for a Caribbean cruise. In May your option could be Alaska with flight s to Vancouver. Good luck happy planning

how exciting! If you can go in October or May I would choose those times for cheaper rates. In October this year you can do a transatlantic from Dover to NYC or Bermuda out of NYC. Also in the past they have done a Bahamas cruise out of NYC in Octob er. It would be so much cheaper flight wise to fly from England to NYC versus Orlando for a Caribbean cruise. In May your option could be Alaska with flight s to Vancouver. Good luck happy planning

Brilliant, thanks so much. I think either the 7 night Med at the end of May or an NYC Bermuda in October look like really good options for us. Fingers crossed!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter